160 comments

General

It is very nice out today. Wow, we haven't had a day like this in a really long time.

Ahh, the slightly cool breeze feels so good. It's exactly what I needed after being cooped up in my apartment for weeks.

This cloth mask is so itchy.

Darn it, why isn't that park gate opening! Ugh, wait-finally, there we go.

No, Mocha! Stop chasing after those pesky squirrels, you fluffy yet adorably cliche dog! Why must almost every dog like squirrels so much? Aww, it is really cute though.

There's the spot where the inhumanely fast runner always stops to take a break. Empty.

And there's the star-shaped sandbox that the cute little triplets always play in around this time. No trace of them. The tiny, bright colored sand toys lay there, so lonely that I have to look away. Oh, and there's the tree that their dad sits under. The way he lovingly watches his kids with a smile always tugs at my heart.

Oh yes, the bench where that kind old couple always sit and feed the nasty pigeons that only like them. It's amazing how stale old crackers can bribe those-creatures. They're so savagely murderous that it's funny, even, that they can be won over that easily.

Sigh, somehow I even miss that one usual drunk guy staggering around. I used to hope he didn't come too close to me. I used to avoid him by hiding behind bushes and run when he tottered past. But now, even if he talked to me or said something stupid to me, I wouldn't mind. At all.

Wow! Oh my gosh! This blossom tree is so pretty! The pale pink ruffly petals look perfect in the evening light. It's really too bad that no one else is here to enjoy it with me. I should take a picture to send to Mom. Oh, Mom and her plants. I never went a day without talking to every single one of them. I can still remember glaring at the numerous plants lining my desktop and windowsills with resentment in my heart. When I moved out, she gave me more than my desk, countertop, and windowsills could fit. I miss being able to hug my mom. I remember absolutely hating the smell of fertilizer and flowers on her, but now I'd gladly embrace it for hours. Days, even. Maybe even months. I miss it that much.

And there Mocha goes. She looks kind of down, trodding slowly like that. I guess it's because the nice old man whose ankles she always nips at is absent. I feel bad for him, though-he has to wipe the dog saliva off his ankles every day after our evening walk.

Jeez, my shoes untied again. I can't believe you would do this to me, mean shoes. I paid seventy-three dollars just for you. And this is what I get for seventy-three dollars. Life.

Haha, that old lady though. I miss seeing her wobble around unsteadily with her cane, dress tucked into her underwear. I'd always stifle a giggle, but I still felt guilty and wanted to tell her. I just couldn't figure out how. I mean, how do you respectfully tell an elderly person that every day after her seven o'clock bathroom trip, her underwear is exposed to the world? She seemed really nice, and I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

The park is so empty-it feels kind of wrong to be walking here alone. It's like I'm trespassing or something. I know that I have Mocha to keep me company, but it's not the same as having a mutual conversation in person. Right now, it's just, me, Mocha, and the flowers. When I yell for Mocha, I can hear the hollow echo of my voice around the park. It's usually chatty and brimming with action. Kids screaming and playing. Friends and couples chatting. The drunk guy yelling scrambled sentences. The thud of the runner's feet on the pavement. The music floating through the air from some street performer. Dogs barking excitedly as they meet up with their friends. The heels of a businesswoman clicking on the ground. The sizzle and chop of a street vendor's cooking.

I miss all of it.

So, so, much.

Right, the sky is getting darker. I should head back now, or soon. I should hurry-I have an online class in twenty minutes. My heart kind of aches to see my friends, and I even miss my professors' faces. Video calls don't suffice. Nothing can beat the feeling of your friend's presence beside you. It feels like the professors decided to double our work since we're staying home, though. At least I don't have to get ready.

New shoes, my one true love, why must you be so disloyal to me? Please stay tied, I beg you! I look dumb, bending down to tie my shoes every five minutes! I know there's like, no one here, but please keep it together until we get home! Untie all you want when we get there.

Ugh, this cursed park gate. Why does every single inanimate thing have to betray me? Open sesame! Wait, I can't believe that worked. Next time, I'm saying open sesame as I push the gate open. Let me try again to make sure. Wow, it worked again! Um, i-is that guy staring at me? Did he hear me chant Open sesame? Twice? Oh no, he probably thinks I'm crazy. Speed run, speed run.

Finally, I've arrived home at last. Home sweet home. It's good to be home. No place like home. I need to take off my shoes and go directly to the bathroom without touching anything to stay safe. First, wash my hands for at least twenty seconds. Ahh, I love the new sakura hand soap I got. Then, I should hop in the shower. And of course, wash my clothes afterward.

The walk was nice, with the beautiful spring buds starting to bloom, but so very quiet and lonely. COVID-19 really has ruined our beautiful world, silencing every area it touches.

April 03, 2020 23:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

160 comments

Avani G
00:41 Apr 27, 2020

This was a really beautiful story, connecting with me, because of the way you described how lonely it feels during this crucial point our world has hit, and how the littlest things can make our day! I really enjoyed it, so make sure you keep up the great work!

Reply

Laiba M
01:08 Apr 27, 2020

Oh my gosh, thank you so much, Avani! Your kind words mean a lot to me <3 I enjoy your stories too, keep on writing!

Reply

Avani G
13:54 Apr 27, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Laiba M
17:22 Apr 27, 2020

You're welcome =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
01:29 Feb 26, 2021

I LIKE YOUR BIO! I am so enthusiastic about it because I like this saying: don’t look at the dust and cracks on the window panes look instead at the moonlight that dives through It says soo much! I love the moon and stars and all of nature in general! Super cool!

Reply

Laiba M
01:32 Feb 26, 2021

Awww!! Thank you so much!! I was thinking of sitting in a really old greenhouse at night, the type with all glass ceilings and walls, where every glass panel was dusty and cracked. I imagined the moonlight falling through in little rays and was wondering how to describe it, but then I realized it was diving through because swimmers do the same!! They don't know what could happen but dive into the water anyways~

Reply

TJ Squared
01:34 Feb 26, 2021

it's really good imagery! I love writers who do that, super detailed stuff, or really good imagery!

Reply

Laiba M
01:36 Feb 26, 2021

You're so sweet :))) You're great at imagery too!!!

Reply

TJ Squared
01:38 Feb 26, 2021

aw, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
12:47 Jun 25, 2020

Hello! I just wanted to say that I'm really really anticipating for your next story. You won't believe that I kept on refreshing my activity page to see if there were any of your new stories(lol). {It's completely okay if you don't want to post it or post it later.} And, Congratulations on getting onto the Leaderboard:) Will eagerly wait for your reply=)

Reply

Laiba M
18:30 Jun 25, 2020

Hello, Batool! That meant so much to me, I thought I was going to be doing that for others forever so it means a ton that you were doing that!!! I am so sorry, I am posting my story this week but I don't like the ending so I'm working on that. When the end is finished I will immediately post it, thanks for your kindness and enthusiasm! You too, I noticed that you're really high up on the leaderboard!! Congrats :)

Reply

Batool Hussain
05:13 Jun 26, 2020

Aww, I am glad that my comment made you happy. And, no problem.Take your time. Thanks and Congratulations once again *_*

Reply

Laiba M
12:37 Jun 26, 2020

It really did :D Thank you for understanding, and you too!

Reply

Batool Hussain
13:06 Jun 26, 2020

^_^

Reply

Laiba M
01:40 Jun 27, 2020

-w- I just posted my story, please check it out!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
10:00 Jun 23, 2020

Hello Laiba! Like others, this piece of yours is beautiful too:) However, I have a few questions if you don't mind ?! * Firstly, will you tell me how to change the font, whenever I apply a different font it changes back to the original one. * Secondly, do you know how to increase the font size or make a specific word 'bold' and 'underlined?' I'll wait for your response. *_*

Reply

Laiba M
14:29 Jun 23, 2020

Hello Batool! Thank you so much :) I don't mind answering your questions at all! *Firstly, it all depends on how you submit your stories; do you copy and paste from an editor that you wrote on, or do you directly type it into the submission area? Note: Copying and pasting a different font results in it changing to the usual font when pasted on Reedsy. If you copy and paste your story, select the entire story, and click either H1 or H2 on the option menu you find at the top of the submission space. If you type it into the space, click H1 or ...

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:50 Jun 23, 2020

Thank you so much Laiba:)

Reply

Laiba M
17:52 Jun 23, 2020

No problem!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sam T.
20:02 Apr 30, 2020

This was perfectly in line with the prompt...the internal monologue was so natural... it was nice reading this :) well written

Reply

Laiba M
21:49 Apr 30, 2020

Thank you, Sam! I really appreciate your words, they meant a lot :D

Reply

Sam T.
14:48 May 01, 2020

💜🌸

Reply

Laiba M
15:59 May 01, 2020

🌸 At first, I didn't think my stories would be appreciated or liked by the people on this website due to the indescribably large amount of talent on here. After reading such nice comments from people like you, I am gaining some confidence in my writing. Thank you so much for everything 🌸

Reply

Sam T.
16:09 May 01, 2020

Welcome ! and i feel exactly the same way, this platform has some crazy talent and i was nervous as well, but the support from people like you is really heartwarming and encouraging :)

Reply

Laiba M
16:11 May 01, 2020

Yess, thanks for your support! With time, I am confident you'll be at the top of the leaderboard, Sam =)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
15:39 Mar 09, 2021

Alright, new thread :) SO WHO??? I literally have no idea. I'm just going to go through a list of people I know are innocent: B.W., Saph, Luna, Sia, Amethyst. That's about all I know aren't involved.

Reply

Laiba M
15:56 Mar 09, 2021

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you :) It's not any of them for sure. You met them a month-ish ago, I think?? I'm not sure. Also, if you continue guessing, you might get it and everyone will know, so I don't know how to do this T-T this is so frustrating!!!

Reply

TJ Squared
16:00 Mar 09, 2021

yep it is! ugh I have no idea how to do this!

Reply

Laiba M
16:15 Mar 09, 2021

Yeah... Do you have Wattpad? I don't because Reedsy is good enough for me, but there isss private messaging on there and I can tell you there after making an account!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
01:42 Feb 26, 2021

OH! I LOVE THIS STORY! SO DESCRIPTIVE! I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT! Amazing, lovely, beautiful, awesome, that's only the start! Okay, now I must do this... I, Lone Wolf (Tiffany), hereby give you the virtual award entitled to you, Laiba M, The Detail Master. Congratulations! This hereby makes you one of my favorite authors on Reedsy!  I hand out this small yet special award to few people, and you are one of them! Congrats!

Reply

Laiba M
04:16 Feb 26, 2021

Thank you so much!!! This is my first story, so if I didn't keep it up to show my progress, I would've deleted it because I don't enjoy it T-T So I'm so glad you liked it!! Your praise and Detail Master award are highly appreciated and accepted!!! :D

Reply

TJ Squared
04:16 Feb 26, 2021

you are so welcome!!!

Reply

Laiba M
04:22 Feb 26, 2021

Thank you for the bio mention! It means so much! It really does, Tiff~ :D I'll put you in mine if that's okay!!

Reply

TJ Squared
04:22 Feb 26, 2021

sure! I'm easy

Reply

Laiba M
13:56 Feb 26, 2021

Check what I added about you and let me know if you want me to use different adjectives to describe you!!~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:12 Nov 05, 2020

I know for a fact that ive already checked this story out along with the other older stories of yours, though at least I think :/ though your older stories are just as great as your recent stories ^^

Reply

Laiba M
03:25 Nov 05, 2020

Thanks!!

Reply

B. W.
03:28 Nov 05, 2020

No prob ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:15 Oct 31, 2020

I can't find any other large or small threads or comments for you at the moment because I was still wanting to try and upvote you more, whats a story that you've commented on a lot? Ive done a few of kylies as well

Reply

Laiba M
00:17 Oct 31, 2020

Probably yours, since we talk a lot :)

Reply

B. W.
00:21 Oct 31, 2020

oh- right ^^ also, thank you so so much again for getting me into 3rd place and upvoting me so much :)

Reply

Laiba M
00:24 Oct 31, 2020

No problem! I'm so glad you're in top three!

Reply

B. W.
00:34 Oct 31, 2020

im still gonna try and get ya into top 10 :)

Reply

Laiba M
00:55 Oct 31, 2020

Really?! Thanks, oh my goodness! I'm so glad!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:12 Sep 23, 2020

I left something in my Bio for the down-voter. Cuz hey i'm still half and half with Mia so it still might be someone else. I kinda just said about how they should comment and explain themselves but it's probably a stupid idea because i don't see why they'd reveal themselves

Reply

Laiba M
00:23 Sep 24, 2020

Good idea :)

Reply

B. W.
00:25 Sep 24, 2020

Thanks, have you maybe gotten down-voted again? i can try to up-vote ya again if you have ^^

Reply

Laiba M
00:27 Sep 24, 2020

I actually think some of my friends have upvoted me instead!! I'm still upvoting all your comments though :)

Reply

B. W.
00:29 Sep 24, 2020

Have you maybe talked to that person? i think her name was Jen and someone else mentioned her, about the down-voter? because maybe she could do something?

Reply

Laiba M
00:30 Sep 24, 2020

I haven't contacted Jenn yet, you?

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
13:43 Sep 11, 2020

Hey laiba you getting excited? it'll happen soon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
18:07 Aug 31, 2020

I decided to go and look at more of your stories after reading the one you made for Avani. This one is just as Great as that one and i might go and read your other ones as well and leave a small review. this could also be a way for the two of us to continue talking and become better friends ^^ like i think i said in the avani one you should continue to write more stories and that's really my only advice for you. You should tell me whenever you make more stories so i could check them out as well ^^ i'm also going to give this story another 10/10

Reply

Laiba M
20:25 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you so much! I appreciate it :) It feels a bit awkward calling you B.W, so is there any name you like that you'd like me to call you?

Reply

B. W.
20:38 Aug 31, 2020

No problem ^^ well i guess if it makes you feel awkward then The B in my name B.W is the letter for my first name so maybe you could come up with a girls name that starts with a B to call me? and if your ever talking to someone else and your still calling me that you'd have to tell them that its kinda your nickname for me. if you can't think of one then i actually do have a name in mind.

Reply

Laiba M
11:15 Sep 02, 2020

Okay! I'll do that~ haha I'd like to know what name you have in mind!

Reply

B. W.
12:40 Sep 02, 2020

Alright well, the name is hope (its not my real name i just really like it) and if you ever mention me to someone or anything like that by that name i don't think they'd know who that is so you'd have to tell them

Reply

Laiba M
13:17 Sep 02, 2020

Okay, sure :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:47 Oct 30, 2020

What did you say that your name meant again? I keep forgetting but I think it had something to do with an angel

Reply

Laiba M
23:07 Oct 30, 2020

"Prettiest angel of the glowing heavens" or "prettiest maiden of the glowing heavens"~~

Reply

B. W.
23:12 Oct 30, 2020

those are both beautiful ^^

Reply

Laiba M
23:22 Oct 30, 2020

Thanks!! Check out the comment I left recently about your name!! It's so beautiful!!

Reply

B. W.
23:25 Oct 30, 2020

aw :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:51 Oct 24, 2020

I've been trying to think of a nickname for you and some of the others, since you kinda nicknamed me Hope and that's what you've been calling me for like a month or something. Though i have no ideas for a nickname and i'm not even sure if you want one :/

Reply

Laiba M
01:52 Oct 24, 2020

Hmm, I like my name a lot, and my friends have tried to nickname me but they're not sure, like most just sound really childish.. if you could think of one you like I'd be happy to hear!!

Reply

B. W.
01:55 Oct 24, 2020

uh- Lai-lai? i dunno

Reply

Laiba M
02:00 Oct 24, 2020

Yeah, there's not many nicknames for my name, lol :) Lailai, Ba, Lai, I'm not really sure~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:15 Oct 14, 2020

I really hope that i'm not bothering you or upsetting you with this because i know your still doing some things about your birds and i know how you still feel about it since it didn't happen that long ago. Though do you remember that thing were talking about with my characters for the novel? Like the confession thing or whatever we had been talking about. Is it gonna be out on one of our threads soon so i could see it? Though it's completely fine if it won't and you just need to do some other things, i'll understand and it'll be alright ^^ s...

Reply

Laiba M
18:41 Oct 14, 2020

It's fine! A few last questions, where is this taking place and who's the one confessing in the pair?

Reply

B. W.
18:43 Oct 14, 2020

Kind of in a cave like thing because they're in a safe place at the moment, Ryder would be the one to confess and kiss Arren between the two. Is it almost done maybe?

Reply

Laiba M
19:28 Oct 14, 2020

Last question, whose perspective is it from? Third, Ryder's or Arren's?

Reply

B. W.
19:45 Oct 14, 2020

It's Ryders POV ^^

Reply

Laiba M
20:30 Oct 14, 2020

I whip my head around cautiously, making sure no one's nearby. It's not like I'd see any other people in this place anyways; it's so dark, I feel blindfolded. I know Arren's in front of me, although I'm blinded due to the setting, because I just know. I've had feelings for so long, I've memorized his scent, his laugh, even his footstep pattern, to the point where I can sense him anywhere. I felt like I was observing a long-term science experiment, days going by, observing, observing. Now was the time to find out the result to this 'experimen...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Laiba M
20:30 Oct 14, 2020

How's that?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:56 Oct 04, 2020

I really feel like i should do something for you and some of the others though. I feel like i'm just being completely rude to you from how i've been with the new story. I still feel like i've even been annoying about it and some other thing's with it like how i keep bothering you. I've probably been a really bad friend towards you and some of the others, haven't i? I feel like i'm even stressing you out more with making you make me another story. I'm really sorry about all of what i've been doing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
01:57 Oct 03, 2020

I feel like i'm being completely rude still with all the stuff and i'm really sorry. i could try to do something to make it up to ya

Reply

Laiba M
02:03 Oct 03, 2020

No, it's fine! I feel like I'm the one at fault here, you don't need to do anything. I can write you a new story for this week.

Reply

B. W.
02:03 Oct 03, 2020

You'd really do that?

Reply

Laiba M
02:04 Oct 03, 2020

Yes! I feel like I didn't do the right thing. I could only work on your story at night after my classes and homework, so I wasn't seriously thinking about what it meant to do this. Choose a prompt~~

Reply

Laiba M
02:05 Oct 03, 2020

For this upcoming week though, not the competition that's ending today at midnight, that's a lot of pressure haha~

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
02:07 Oct 03, 2020

Do you want me to tell you just the prompt or the prompt and the other things for it? like the name and all that?

Reply

Laiba M
02:15 Oct 03, 2020

Do you want me to write you any story with the prompt (I promise it won't be a sequel this time, sorry again!) and be surprised or do you want to tell me how you want the story to go and everything?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:05 Oct 02, 2020

Up-vote spree maybe? i can try to find parts where i haven't up-voted you already

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
22:04 Sep 28, 2020

Which of the prompts are ya using for my story again? i forgot or i don't think you've told me

Reply

Laiba M
23:29 Sep 28, 2020

The discovering something new about their past one, you requested it :)

Reply

B. W.
23:31 Sep 28, 2020

Oh, right! so i'm guessing since it wasn't out today then itll be out wednesday?

Reply

Laiba M
13:07 Sep 29, 2020

Most likely :)

Reply

B. W.
14:00 Sep 29, 2020

so your doing the stories for everyone?

Reply

Laiba M
17:24 Sep 29, 2020

Yeah~!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.