Contest #178 shortlist ⭐️

Round the World at the Holidays

Submitted into Contest #178 in response to: Write a story about an unconventional holiday tradition.... view prompt

93 comments

Creative Nonfiction Contemporary Christmas

Today is the Friday before Christmas. This would normally be relevant news to at least one of us, because I have Fridays off and I’d have the time to shop for traditional Christmas dinner – you know: ham and turkey, side dishes, pie, the works. I may be a little late to the scene on that, but if you put off something long enough, you avoid the rush of the better-prepared, is my motto. 


Only, it snowed last night, and I can’t get out of the driveway now. The door of my car is frozen shut, even. Good grief… I don’t have a motto for this! We almost never even get snow where I live, and so there is no local capital investment in snow plows, snow melter and the like. This lack of shopping capability presents a Mom-Level Opportunity for me, though, and I know we are both about to have a ton of fun trying to come up with a solution.


I phone my Mom. 



To go back into personal history for just a moment: when my brother, sister and I were growing up, Dad was of the prepper mentality: he subscribed to Soldier of Fortune magazine, designed all sorts of drawings for bug-out cabins, drafted plans for personal munitions and defense devices. He really lived in his head with his passion, though, and nothing practical came of it.


On the other hand, Mom was the actual prepper: she gardened, canned, kept a deep larder, and was constantly adding to her skills and knowledge of things such as herbalism, handicrafts, and first aid. Mom was also a frugalist, which showed in her passions and household management.


Both of my parents were also intent on keeping our minds expanded to a world far outside of our (bomb shelter’s) walls, so they introduced us to extensive literature and contemporary news; they also came up with the idea of The Round The World Restaurant, which would feature cuisine and entertainment from a different country every night of the week. This was the big dream of their lives; unfortunately, they could never afford to execute that plan, but we did come close to it with our holiday dinners, which were never once the routine turkey and ham.


“Hello?” She inquires. She’s in the kitchen with her great-grands, baking some cookies for dinner later that night. At 77, that woman never slows down. I resolve to make it fast.




Like so many of this or any era, we didn’t think we had a lot growing up, but like most Moms, ours was no exception in going out of her way to make sure holidays were memorable despite an excess of gifts. Every year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, we’d traipse down to our local library to pick out what culture we wanted to learn about – and that meant she was cooking their food, too! Mom was an excellent and inventive cook who could bring her frugality skills to bear, so the results were always incredible.


For instance, one year I remember in particular was when we picked Vietnam for Thanksgiving. Many of the books were Not For Children, and Mom had a hard time making the old librarian understand that we were looking for something more akin to travel guides than war accounts. 


Finally, she found books with photos of the land and its people, and we children fought over those while Mom went and looked for a cookbook or two, which she brought home in order to plan our corresponding feast.


When our dinner times for the holidays came around, we three kids would put on a little info skit about the chosen culture to entertain Mom and Dad, and Mom in turn would tell us all about the dishes we were enjoying. That year, for example, we talked about the largest cave in the world, which is in Vietnam, and about water puppetry -- an ancient theater -- and how there are kitchen gods that are treated like family members. For dinner, we were eating foods that were specifically inspired by Southern Vietnamese cuisine, which made them more closely-linked to Thai foods, and thus spicier than Northern Vietnamese cuisine. I don’t know why that part sticks out to me so well, even to this day. The foods themselves were incredible, such a taste explosion of so many delicious and unusual flavors. We had spring (salad) rolls and sizzling pancakes, which I remember best; there were more dishes, but the only other thing I remember the without even trying was the coffee. We almost never got to have that at all, and it was delicious: so thick, sweet and creamy!


Anyway, you get the idea, about our little annual celebrations – in a word: memorable. In fact, I’d have to say that Vietnamese Thanksgiving was probably my favorite holiday we ever did, followed closely by Japanese Christmas. I liked the European holiday meals well enough (especially German!), but – culturally speaking – Asian and African food just seemed more appealingly exotic, to my young mind. In fact, to this day, I will not pass up a spicy peanut stew if it is on the menu, YUM!


Dad even tried his hand at doing the meals a couple of times: one year, and he never would tell us what country it was supposed to have been from, he invented a Curried Tuna Casserole in the practice run-up to the actual holiday. To this day, my stomach goes a little tricky around curry, and that was his last attempt to help with the creative dining portion of the holiday. 


Granted, the holidays weren’t all about the food, but nostalgia and a current snow crisis are shortening this tale in the interest of a smoother flow. I still remember the numerous cat islands of Japan, and the ancient and mystical feeling I got when we read about Persia and Zoroastrianism, among other cultural wonders of the world.




So here I am now, returning to my roots: “What culture can I make for this Christmas dinner?” I ask her, poised for the inevitable, “Well, whatcha got?!”. Her prepper persona rubbed off on me a bit, so I have quite a deep pantry full of canned and boxed goods, plus of course a handful of fresh things in the fridge. 


After chatting for a while, including some particularly fun remembrances of holiday celebrations past, she helps me come up with the perfect fit: Spam, macaroni, mayo, rice, cabbage, soy sauce, and even some canned pineapple? We can work with that. It may not be haute cuisine, but we’ll pull a little bit of a faux Hawaiian plate dinner “with a lick and a promise” to do better once the roads are clear.


According to my once-library-trip-now-turned-Google: "Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!"

December 23, 2022 19:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

93 comments

Susan Catucci
16:32 Jan 06, 2023

Hey, Sista - Congratulations!!! I'm thrilled for you and so glad you've been recognized. Well deserved. :)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:04 Jan 06, 2023

Thank you so much, sis! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:08 Jan 06, 2023

Back to Back Shortlists --- WOO HOO You go girl :)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:04 Jan 06, 2023

Thanks, Deidra! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
15:44 Jan 06, 2023

Woohoo! Congratulations Wendy!! I loved this story so much. Glad it got some recognition:)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:04 Jan 06, 2023

Thank you so much, Anne Marie! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Douglas W. Carr
22:22 Jan 05, 2023

So good.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:03 Jan 05, 2023

Thanks so much, Douglas! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:20 Jan 05, 2023

Hi Wendy, I can't keep up with your output! I read the screaming flowers one a few days ago and missed the fact there's another! I didn't know what a prepper was, I think this must be a trend and person going on your side of the pond as we don't have so much apocalypse now talk here, maybe it's just not covered by the media though! Anyway, I liked how you took that characteristic from the mum and came slantways on, giving it a positive twist: the resourcefulness in the kitchen to come up with a wholly new take on a dish. I liked the concept ...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
12:32 Jan 05, 2023

Rebecca, thank you so much for the kind words and for taking the time to pass them on - I really appreciate your encouragement (as always! :). Prepping isn't as fashionable now as it was in the 70s, I think, when the Cold War was the talk at every turn... and that is a good thing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lindsay Flo
11:53 Jan 04, 2023

You know what grabs me the most about this is? Its how different each family and their traditions really are. There's something about every family (and I've learned this well over the years of being a divorced mom and fifth-wheeling my way into various others' Easters, Thanksgivings, etc) that is so unique and different, no matter how "traditional" their holidays may be. Loved this, the creativity it, and the storytelling is superb. Literally not much of a plot aside from the aborted shopping trip thanks to snow, but I wanted to keep reading...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:33 Jan 04, 2023

Thank you so much for the kind and very encouraging words, Lindsay! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
15:09 Jan 03, 2023

Delicious! This story is warm inspiration, Wendy. And the way you served it up was masterful, world-class - I enjoyed every word.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:40 Jan 03, 2023

Thank you so much, Susan! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:58 Dec 31, 2022

Lovely! Mele Kalikimaka! My baby sis was born when I was 15, and Mom worked full time = so I practically raised her the first five years - and Mom had that Bing Crosby record and I taught her to sing that song and do a little Hawaiian dance! My friend makes Tiki/Hawaiian items and she made a Christmas ornament with Mele Kalikimaka on it for sis. She loves is. Loved the story, such a cool idea!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
16:59 Dec 31, 2022

Oh my gosh, that sounds so cute and fun!! :) Thank you for reading and for the heart-warming comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:44 Dec 31, 2022

I loved this. Relatable on every level... (1970's cooking was something!)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
16:49 Dec 31, 2022

(Jell-o mold flashback argh!! :) Thank you, Deidra, much appreciated. :)

Reply

17:43 Dec 31, 2022

Overcooked pork chops Whipped cream fruit salads (with marshmallows) Chicken with canned pineapple, shredded coconut to make anything faux-Polynesian Orange rolls

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
02:25 Dec 31, 2022

Someone said Pluto? I was totally waiting for the Prepper Dad to have brought the kids to Pluto, make eat canned goods (Spam) and this: no fear of nuclear war. And this is why you read the story before the comments. 1) peanut stew 2) largest cave in world.... This only hit my newsfeed about 2 weeks ago. You rock 3) north v south Vietnamese cuisine. Thank you for making a story where I learned something. Norm Rock moments: -dad who cooks food that no one likes. Take a poll whenever you have an extra few years and you will find that this i...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
02:32 Dec 31, 2022

I will tell you how to stock your larder (hint, lard will be involved) if you tell me more about your house you built, wow! Also, we need to grab Martin Ross in about half an hour for our Curry PTSD Survivor's Group. I adore Goround+ commentary, thanks. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
02:35 Dec 31, 2022

Oh, great point, about Thoreau. Kinda like how that one chick argued that you had to have an entire room to yourself to write, meanwhile women without that luxury were burning down the literary world. Not "wrong," but not entirely accurate, either.

Reply

Tommy Goround
03:48 Dec 31, 2022

I heard that JK Rowling's loved her children and would not force feed them Brandy on the lips. So she started telling them stories hoping to bore them to sleep Unfortunately, they didn't sleep but she made a billion dollars.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
AnneMarie Miles
03:17 Dec 30, 2022

Oh Wendy, that last line has my heart! Been listening to that Hawaiian Christmas song a lot this year (we've got a trip there planned for next year and we can't wait!). This was such a cute story. I see it is nonfiction so I'm wondering how much of this is true! As I was reading it, I kept thinking, this is so detailed it HAS to come from real-life experience. I love the idea of going to the library and picking out a book about another culture. What a great way to raise well-rounded children on a budget! And then to create a concrete way fo...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:25 Dec 30, 2022

Thank you so much, Anne Marie! I haven't mastered the genuine meaning of "creative nonfiction" just yet, but this whole thing was true except the cave, as I couldn't remember the 3rd thing about Vietnam we discussed at the time. :) Tommy Goround tells me there should be more exciting elements to get the "creative" portion, so I think if I added in a part about us going to Pluto and having cosmic martinis, that would be the creative part? Still working on that! But yes, please feel free to co-opt it all you want: it was a lovely tradition, an...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:34 Dec 30, 2022

I haven't mastered it either! But with "creative" being a part of the genres title, I assume we can be flexible, bending or not bending the truth ;) Hmmm when I hear "exciting" elements, I hear subjective. Writing and reading are so interactive; they require participation on both the writers and readers end. For me, having a Vietnamese thanksgiving or a Hawaiian Christmas dinner feels exciting. It's so beyond my daily life, and I get excited by little things like that. I'd say it counts; but for someone else, they might need more stimulation...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelly Sibley
07:59 Dec 29, 2022

That was so enjoyable to read!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
19:51 Dec 29, 2022

Thank you so much for your nice comment, and for reading. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
06:58 Dec 29, 2022

I love this tradition and how you describe it. The nostalgia comes through strong and warm!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
19:50 Dec 29, 2022

Thank you very much for the lovely comment! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
06:39 Dec 29, 2022

What I like about your writing, Wendy, is that it has a cozy feel to it, as though an old friend were telling me this story around the Christmas dinner table. There's a level of intimacy and closeness and and honesty warmth to it that's very beautiful and hard to replicate, and I applaud you for that. I was not surprised when I finished, went back to the genre tags, and found out this piece was labeled "Creative Nonfiction." It absolutely has that true-to-life, this-actually-happened kind of feel to it that comes through in the writing. Gr...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
19:50 Dec 29, 2022

Zack, thank you so very much for taking the time to read, and for your kind words! I really appreciate it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
05:39 Dec 29, 2022

Wendy, this story is interesting! A traditional Christmas dinner was abandoned so quickly due to inclement and atypical weather. The MC (prepper) shares with us how her mother would make a fascinating dinner from a locale worldwide and then tell them a neat little tidbit about that place. A faux Hawaiian plate dinner saves the day because she remembered how her mother cooked for her and her siblings. I liked the ending of the story. LF6 Note: I phone up Mom. - I phoned my mom. Mom was an excellent and inventive cook who could bring her fru...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
05:58 Dec 29, 2022

Thanks, Lily, for the review and also the assist on the story notes!

Reply

Lily Finch
16:39 Dec 29, 2022

No problem. That is a cool concept for a story. Dinners from around the world and small bits of information about those places on holidays. Just cool! LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
15:47 Dec 28, 2022

I LOVE most international cuisines, and one of the best rice dishes I ever had (well, tie with goat biryani) was a Spam and pineapple concoction in Honolulu. This story has me plotting my annual trip to LeeLee’s, the massive local (Phoenix-area) global grocery with its own banh mi restaurant across the street. What a lovely Christmas tradition this would be, and the narrative is all the more warmingly poignant given the protagonists’ circumstances and survival/prepper culture. I was born in ‘58, in the Cold War/Cuban Missile Crisis era, an...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:35 Dec 28, 2022

haha Your cravings throughout made me chuckle! :) Thank you so much, Martin, for the incredibly touching and flattering review! I don't know what else to say except it really made my day and could well be praise far outside my abilities, but it was such a lovely thing to read this morning! I will pass it on to Mom, too, as this was an actual tradition of ours, and she'll be so delighted. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
00:06 Dec 28, 2022

This one has left me hungry Wendy! Like the story, and some great descriptions of foods from all over the world and now I need to go open my fridge. Not convinced I'll be trying that spam and macaroni dish any time soon though, ha!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:09 Dec 28, 2022

haha Thanks, Edward! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
19:46 Dec 26, 2022

Another winner, wendy.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
19:50 Dec 26, 2022

Appreciate you taking the time to read and comment, always. :)

Reply

L M
19:53 Dec 26, 2022

No problem

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Stanley Albin
02:22 Dec 22, 2023

I never thought of that idea! To have a different foreign dinner on a holiday would teach youngsters more about different cultures. They wouldn't have to study, just eat-and maybe clean up a bit!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alina McCullough
12:37 Apr 12, 2023

I love this story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.