3 comments

Fantasy

My fingers fumbled over the sleek paper with an elegant design of pink cherry blossoms. I folded it in half several times, each time the piece of paper got less simple. I creased its wings and tucked the head, finally holding out my handiwork, studying it. Pleased, I sat it down on a pile of cranes folded out of simple sheets of unique paper. I pushed my black hair behind my ears, watching my brother finishing the last fold of his own crane. He grinned at me and placed the last crane on top of our pile which was covering the floor of our room. 


“I think that was the last one!” My brother, Ryou exclaimed. 


I folded my arms. 


“How do you know? Last time when you said there was a 1000, I had to count and there were only 876 cranes.” I asked, skeptical of his claim and mildly still annoyed from that time.  


“I dunno,” he shrugged, “if you want to check, you can go count all 1000 of them.” 


I could just imagine sitting there for hours, counting each individual crane and recounting several times before I lost the number I was just on. I sighed, we were doing this for our baby sister, Hoshi. Poor Hoshi who was sickly and small. Each breath she took was a gasp for air. We all never said it but knew Hoshi wouldn’t survive this summer. I hoped the wish would work, it had to for her sake. 


There was a Japanese legend that Grandma Tsubasa always told stories of, how the hero created 1000 cranes to wish for their deepest desire. Ryou and I listened to her stories intently as she painted the vibrant pictures of the hero’s selfless wish. Mother never liked grandma telling us these stories. One day mother had enough, and she told grandma to stop filling our heads with rubbish and that was the reason why we never focused on our studies. She said this was the modern world and there was no need to babble about unreal things in the past. 


But here we were, spending our whole summer break working on creating 1000 cranes made of paper for one single wish. We haven’t touched our phones for so long that they were starting to get layers of dust.  


“Listen, Kaori! Trust me when I say there’s a 1000! I’m a master counter,” Ryou grinned, pointing to his head. 


I rolled my eyes. 


“Whatever you say, genius,” I said, picking up a crane and began to fidget with its wings.  


Silence fell between the two of us. Ryou looked at the cranes and his eyes seemed to flash as if an idea had suddenly grazed his thoughts. He opened his mouth, breaking the delicate silence. 


“I wish for a friend that would do whatever we want!” Ryou blurted out. 


I dropped the crane, gaping at him in shock. My heart plummeted. 


No, this couldn’t be. 


My fingers trembled in fear.  


“Ryou!” I snapped. 


My eyes widened, quickly wandering over the cranes, hoping that his count was off for once. No- this couldn’t happen, my heart pounded in my ears. 


“Ryou- no! T-the wish for Hoshi!” I continued, distressed. He always ruined everything, “Hoshi- s-she-” 


I stopped, tears threatening to fall. My throat suddenly felt dry and hard to swallow. I hugged myself tightly, worrying for Hoshi’s sake. Ryou looked down with mixed emotion and I hoped, shame.

 

“I had to have counted wrong,” Ryou swallowed, swiping his hands through the cranes, trying to count desperately, “I-I’m so sorry Kaori-” 


He looked at me, scared and ashamed. 


I didn’t respond, falling quiet, not wanting to look at him. 


“M-maybe mother w-was right and t-this wouldn’t work-” Ryou stammered, nudging a crane with his finger. 


The crane lifted its head and spread out its wings, leaping into the air. Ryou yelped and fell back, my mouth fell open. The crane swirled around us, gracefully flapping its wings. It glided across the room; its cobalt color shone brightly. The golden teardrops on the paper gleamed when the sun’s rays hit it. We both watched the crane, stunned. Its wings fluttered softly, like a whisper on the wind. The paper crane flapped in place, head tilting towards us.  


With a whish of the wind behind its back, the paper crane swooped down, darting between us, paper buzzing in our ear. Chatters filled the room and numerous cranes suddenly took flight, jumping into the air. The cranes brushed against our skin. Soft paper hitting our hair. The flapping was deafening, sounds of paper crinkling filled the room. A crane zoomed past me, its wing pierced my skin, a burning feeling met me and I yelped. A single red droplet fell to the floor.  


Ryou stared at me, eyes wide and he screamed, folding into a ball. I ducked as numerous cranes flew over my head, beaks razor sharp. A crane knocked into Ryou’s face and began pecking at his eyes as he shouted in fear. I got up to my feet and ran towards Ryou, dodging the cranes who tried to impale me. A crane with red stripes threw itself at me, inciting a hoard of the cranes to hurtle into my stomach. The room flashed white, I staggered, finding it hard to breath. Paper battered against my skin. I gritted my teeth and reached for Ryou, no longer able to see with all the paper filling our vision. 


I felt his arm and grabbed him, running towards the kitchen door. I threw it open and took cover behind the door, holding Ryou tight. I watched as mobs of cranes dashed out the door, flashing colors of red, gold, blue, pink, and silver made me dizzy. As soon all the origami cranes had whizzed past us through the front door. I slammed it closed, throwing my whole weight against it. The flapping of paper still resonated outside until it all quieted. 


I slumped to my knees and began to sob in relief and fear. Ryou cried with me, he trembled. 


A soft pattering of paper on the floor caused my eyes to flutter open, looking wildly around the room in raw fear. Ryou hugged himself tighter, bawling. 


A plain white crane padded towards me. Its wing was bent the wrong way and crinkled. He couldn’t fly and taste the same freedom as his brothers and sisters 


I recognized the simple design of the crane, when Grandma Tsubasa was showing us how to fold cranes, she took a sheet of paper and folded the first crane of the thousand others. I reached out my quavering arms. The crane cowered from my hands, backing up in surprise. I gently grabbed the crane and laying it on my palm, I folded its bent wing back in place. The crane tilted its head towards me. 


“Okay little one, you’re all good now,” I reassured the white crane, who refused to leave my palm. 


I peered at the origami crane, seeing its belly inflate when it drew air from the room. 


Just like a real bird breathing. 


I felt pity for the tiny creature. 


I could tell it was not like its murderous brothers and sisters.

 

“Ryou-” I whispered to my brother, nudging him my shoulder. 


Ryou flew open his eyes and pressed his back against the door in fear of the tiny crane that laid in the palm of my hand. 


“Ryou- I think your wish came true...” I said quietly. 


Ryou poked the crane and it shrunk, scared of him. 


“Be gentle Ryou,” I hissed, annoyed. 


Ryou grinned. 


“I love you!” He howled to the crane, grabbing it from my hand. 


“You’re going to be my best friend and we’re going to love each other so so so much! Your name is now Miki! I’ll take care of you forever and ever and ever!” Ryou babbled to the crane as it tilted its head in confusion. 


“That’s a terrible name,” I replied crossly, “the crane’s name shall be Yutaka, meaning abundant and prosperous!” 


“Awww Miki is so adorable!” Ryou laughed as the crane pecked gently at his finger. 


I stared at the crane, realizing Ryou had just ignored my comment, I sighed, deciding to go along with the name Miki. I reached my arm over to pet Miki’s wing. 


“Hey! He’s my pet, not yours-” Ryou said, slapping my arm away. 

“But, I’m the one who saw him first!” I complained, folding my arms and glaring at Ryou, “without my help, you would’ve never noticed Miki.” 


I cringed slightly at the name of the crane. 


“I’m the one who made the wish.” Ryou informed me, then gripping the crane tightly who let out what seemed like a squawk. 


Ryou stood up and unlocked the door, running outside, calling out for our mother and father. 


I sighed, exasperated and followed Ryou outside, chasing after him. 


“Don’t be selfish!” I yelled to him, stopping, the grass blades tickled my feet. 


I sunk down, wrapping my hands around my knees, tired and upset with my brother. I rested my chin my knees, watching the clouds in the blue sky. They seemed to turn to extravagant shapes such as budding flowers, cherry blossom trees, and a single snowflake. I watched, mesmerized. Someone’s shadow appeared in front of me and I whirled around to see a girl with short black hair that stopped at her chin. She had a small nose, pale pink lips and twinkling eyes full of curiosity. Her mouth was curved in a smirk.  

This was my cousin, Souta. 


Her father, Uncle Hayato was staying with our family for the summer so Souta and I hung around a lot while Ryou would always barge in and try to play with us. 


“What are you doing? Looking at the sky?” Souta asked. 

I nodded, quiet. 


Souta sat down next to me, glancing at the sky and back at me. 


“What's wrong? Why are you so quiet?” Souta frowned, nudging me. 


I sighed. 


“Ryou’s annoying,” I replied to her, keeping it vague. As much as I loved my cousin, I doubted she could understand what had just happened. In fact, I barely could understand the fact that Ryou’s wish brought a crane to life who could... 


Wait, the crane could do whatever we want right? I gasped aloud, realizing that our wish to save Hoshi could come true after all. 


Souta smiled. 


“You got an idea? I know that look.” She said. 


“I’ll tell you someday,” I responded, standing up and dusting myself off. 


I began to search for Ryou, covering my hand over my eyes from the blazing sun above. 


“Kaori, tell me!” Souta pleaded, following me. 


I rolled my eyes and looked back at her, noticing her hands gripping a writhing white crane. I blinked. 


“Souta- where did you get that?” I asked her, pointing at the crane. 


Souta raised her her hand which was gripping the crane. 


“This? Your brother dropped this while he was running to your parents to whine to them,” Souta laughed, “you should’ve heard him, he was babbling about how origami cranes attacked you and now his wish came true. Grandma must’ve made him really go crazy.” 


My eyes widened. 


“He said what?-” I blurted. 


“I know right, your brother’s is so insane,” Souta snorted, checking her phone. 


“Hey uh, do you mind if I have that crane? Sorry, Ryou took it from me.” I said, nervously laughing. 


Souta nodded, not tearing her eyes away from her phone while she handed me Miki who was obviously in a lot of discomfort. I laid Miki on my palm, watching him as he stretched out his wings and began to peck at his wings. He tilted his head at me and let out a squawk, I smiled and pat Miki’s head. 


Souta scrolled through her phone for a bit and looked at me, sighing. 


“Oh, mochi would be so nice right now, it’s awfully hot out,” she said dreamily. 


I nodded, rubbing the sweat off my brow. 


“I wish I had mochi as well,” I heartily agreed with her, hearing my stomach growl. 


Miki head tilted towards me. 


Miki spread out his wings and elegantly rose from my palm, flapping his wings with such gentle ease that I felt no wind hitting my face. Souta gawped at Miki, forgetting her phone as she watched the origami suddenly come to life. Miki glided around Souta gracefully before taking off into the sky, soaring towards the clouds until I couldn’t see him anymore. My stomach tied into knots as I searched the blue sky for Miki. Souta stared at the sky, clearly confused but I offered her no explanation as panic and dread filled me. 


I cupped my hands to my mouth, feeling scared. 


“Miki!” I shouted; my words echoed around. 


I ran in the direction Miki had flew towards, shouting louder. 


“Miki!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. 


Finally, after a few moments, Souta gathered her words and pointed at the sky. 


“That thing... just came to life?” Souta uttered in disbelief, frozen in place. 


“Yes! Long story short: Ryou and I created 1000 cranes to wish for Hoshi to get better but Ryou wished instead for a friend that would...” I halted in my footsteps, the reason why Miki flew off dawning on me. 


Souta caught up to me, pocketing her phone. 


“That would...?” Souta asked, waiting for me to go on.  

Her wide brown eyes stared at me. 


“I forgot that Ryou said the words: a friend that would do anything we want!” I exclaimed, grabbing Souta’s hands and jumping up and down. 


“Listen... I’m still trying to process this...” Souta slowly said, holding her hand to her temple, “so you two made a wish after creating 1000 cranes and some random origami crane came to life, you named and it is practically a wish maker.” 


I winced slightly at the word it, no, Miki wasn’t just an object, he was something entirely different.  


He was just like an animal, like a cat or dog. 


“Don’t call Miki an it, he’s just like your dog, Shiro at home.” I said, defending Miki. 


“Okay, got it.” She replied. 


A flutter of wings whooshed past my ear and I looked up to see a blinding white crane soar over my palm, with two pieces of paper dangling from his beak. 


No, not just two pieces of paper. 


Mochi but origami mochi. 


Miki floated over my palm and dropped the two origami mochi into it. He glided to my head and rested in my black hair that came to my shoulders. I brushed my bangs away from my face and examined the mochi. Souta stared at the pieces of paper, as confused as me. Before she could protest, I popped one of the mochi, a pastel green one into my mouth. Odd flakes of paper, much like powder covered my fingers. I blinked, surprised at the parallel taste of the paper mochi to the real thing.  


I could taste the cold green tea ice cream. 


“Try it, Souta! It’s the same as regular mochi!” I exclaimed to her, handing her the pale pink one. 


Souta hesitantly nibbled on the mochi, her eyes widened, and she ate the whole thing. 


“No- no way that this is-” Souta began to say. 


“Kaori, you stole Miki.” Ryou barked, interrupting Souta. 


Ryou seized Miki off my head and clutched Miki tightly. Souta quietly glared at Ryou. 


“Rude.” She rolled her eyes. 


I spun around to face Ryou. 


“Ryou, you can’t just have Miki all to yourself.” I scolded him, reaching to grab Miki back, “and plus, I think I should have more time with Miki. He’s enjoying himself.” 


I reached out my hand, waiting for Ryou to hand Miki back to me.  


He never did. I stared at Ryou, he didn’t move an inch, his feet were nailed tight in the dirt and his arms made no move towards my empty hand. Souta’s eyes darted between the two of us, sensing the tension and she began to back away, disappearing altogether, leaving us glaring at another. 


Ryou slapped my hand away, I yelped, feeling my skin sting. I rubbed my hand. 


“Hey! That wasn’t nice.” I said crossly. 


“I didn’t get any time with Miki at all today!” Ryou pouted, “you should let me play with him.” 


“No wonder, you didn’t spend time with Miki. Miki doesn’t like you,” I grumbled. 


“I’m the one who made the wish, if it wasn’t for me, there wouldn’t even be a Miki, so Miki adores me!” He said, acting as if it was a fact. 


“Why do you always have to ruin everything?” I snapped at Ryou, “Souta and I were having fun!” 


“I never ruin anything, it’s you, being a selfish brat!” Ryou replied, beginning to stomp off. 


“You just want Miki because Miki can make wishes.” I said, upset.

 

Ryou looked at me, stunned. His eyes filled with shock and tears threatened to fall. 


“You’ve never loved me! You’ve always hated me and wished I never existed-” Ryou spluttered, running off, sobbing. 


“Ryou...” I began to say, chasing after him. 


Ryou halted in his footsteps, tears brimming from his eyes.  


He turned towards me; eyes full of tears as he gripped Miki tightly. 


“Wish granted.” He sniffled. 


The wind hissed, surrounding Ryou and covered him completely. With a blink of my eyes, he disappeared, as did the sudden rage of the wind. The wind let out one howl before falling dead silent. The sky above darkened and a crane crumpled into a ball fell from the sky, landing in front of my feet. I picked up Miki’s dull paper and unfolded him, there was no life in his eyes anymore. 


I fell to my knees, sobbing, clutching crumpled Miki to my heart.

 

Crying for the lack of my loving brother. 


No object would ever be worth my brother’s life. 

May 15, 2020 15:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Himanshi Y
10:17 May 21, 2020

Hey Emine L ! This is a really good story. Your words made me feel emotions for these children, especially Ryou, you captured a little boy's thoughts and feelings so well. Sometimes I felt like I was watching a really good anime like when you described the clouds in sky, that was really beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ted Villamarzo
01:03 May 26, 2020

This story has a good premise. But sad.

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:06 May 22, 2020

I really enjoyed the premise of this story. And great imagery!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.