43 comments

Fiction Horror Fantasy

This story contains sensitive content

CW: Stockholm syndrome, mental health issues, substance abuse, physical violence, gore, and abuse.

It has been years since I have seen the light. I've been kept here and sworn to secrecy by him. Nilson E. Boyd. The charming yet manipulative guy, who stole my heart and broke into several pieces. I knew he was only using me, but it felt good to be wanted. Even if it was in the most toxic way.

The door creaks open, revealing a tiny imp servant named Morrigan. "The master requests your presence." Her shrill voice echoed throughout my cold, chamber. I inhale the musty smell and turn around to glare at the small demon. I have learned my lesson about attending dinner with him or standing by Nilson as he explains his plans to me, while I stroke his ego to stay alive. Flattery is the only reason why he hasn't killed me yet. Morrigan approaches me slowly, as if I was a wild caged animal.

In some ways, I'd guess that I am. Cornered, trapped. His pressure weighing me down, sending me back under the deep ocean. I try to swim up for air, but the sharks always block my way. So, I'm forced to hide in the shadows.

Morrigan guides me to Nilson's study, while I am still in my daze. I'm so exhausted, my body feels like it's crumbling slowly, just to make me suffer. Lumbering like a zombie, I slump into a dark leather armchair. The room smells like damp pine trees, like a forest after the rain. My eyes glance over to a large bookshelf, and I snap awake immediately. The bookshelves were filled with various genres of books, sorted out by the years they were written and by certain authors.

"I knew that you'd like this place." A low, silky-smooth voice chuckled. I didn't have to look behind me to know who it was. Peeking over my shoulder, I could see that Nilson was wearing his usual Mahagony blazer, deep pale red round sunglasses, a crisp white button up collared shirt, creased black trousers, and shiny yet scuffed brown loafers.

Arching a brow at him, I roll my eyes, "I'm an AUTHOR. Of course, I'll be obsessed over books." I scoff and he grins. That smile... that smile of his is what made me fall in love with him in the first place.

He was playing the piano in the orchestra. It was a masquerade ball, a birthday party for my closest friend's daughter. Ever since he asked me to dance with him, flashing that very grin at me, I've been head over heels. I saw him every day since then, but when he had gotten arrested, my heart shattered.

When I heard that he had escaped, I knew he would come find me first. I started packing right away and loaded up my Porsche with all my luggage. My prediction was right. Before I could even start the car, he was already standing in the driveway. His cronies commanded that I exit the vehicle with my hands up. I complied knowing that if I decided to rebel, I would go down with a very slow and painful death.

Ever since he used to me to kill Gwenore... I've been stuck in a hard spot, where there is no space to wriggle out from. No door to open, no window to escape from. Only me and my thoughts are forever dwelling in this wretched place. I'm going to go MAD if I stay here any longer than I have to. Though, Nilson has major trust issues and would probably maim my tongue, gouge out my eyeballs, or something gruesome like that if I even told a single soul about what happened to me.

"You can read whatever you'd like in here. I'd suggest the historical fiction to you. It's really quite magnificent." Nilson brags and I cross my arms.

"I'm sure it is..." I mutter loud enough so he can hear. Nilson tilts his head to the side, pulling off the most innocent face he could possibly muster but that doesn't work on me anymore.

"Is there something wrong, Beckett?"

"Don't play dumb! I know your tricks, and this little act you're doing is faker than your stupid career-"

He slams me into the bookshelf, which wobbled and creaked from the amount of pressure put onto it. Nilson's calloused hand is gripping tightly around my neck. He flicks out a bright red Swiss army knife, with his name painted onto it in gold cursive. He leans close into my ear, pressing the Swiss army knife against my stomach, enough to draw some blood.

"You should shut up, if you know what's good for you."

I purse my lips together into a thin, grim line. Averting my eyes away so he doesn't see me tearing up. I don't need him getting a big head about me crying even though he hasn't even slit my stomach open yet. Though I tried hiding it, I failed. He takes the cold knife off me, and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. Nilson wipes the blood off of Swiss army knife with a fancy handkerchief. He hands the handkerchief to me then punches the bookshelf, which makes a few books fall onto me.

Nilson closes the door on me, leaving me alone with my thoughts once again. I press the handkerchief to the wound, and I hiss in pain. I curl up into a ball, letting myself rock back and forth.

"Everything's fine, he still loves me. Otherwise, he would've killed me, right? Right. Because he still needs me. Wants me, even. Who knows what's going on within that dark and brilliant head of his? I'm no psychic. If I was, I would know how to get out of here. Maybe when I get out of here, I can assign him to a mental institution." I ramble to myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------

About an hour later, I leave his study with some books under my arm. Ones about supernatural beings. I figured it would help me understand how to summons those...imps and creatures so I can turn them against him. Not so I can control them, but just so then I can escape without him or anyone knowing. While walking by Nilson's bedroom, I can hear him talking to someone. I'm positive that it's not any of the impish staff members he rounded up. The person he's talking to has a deep voice. TOO deep. Almost sounds like a raspier verson of Corpse Husband.

"Is your team ready to initiate the plan?" it asked, and I pressed my body against the wall, nearby so I can eavesdrop on their conversation.

"We're ALMOST ready, s-sir! Just a few more items and we'll-"

"SILENCE!" it roared, and I could see Nilson visibly gulp. I laugh silently. Ha, karma for him. That's what he gets for being SUCH a narcissist.

"I cannot wait any longer, I must go claim my prize. If you won't do so, I will do it myself." it bellows then continues, "Kids these days, always so lazy..." it huffs.

"Sir, the plans are almost complete. You know what will happen if you go out there now. It'll be absolute CHAOS! I'm all up for wreaking havoc but not when we're THIS CLOSE to being done."

It sighs, "Fine. Go on with it. And get out of my sight before I change my mind." Nilson beams, "You won't regret this, sir!"

"Trust me, I already am." it grumbled, turning away.

Nilson runs to the door to leave but I was l already halfway down the hall. Racing up the sleek marble floor, my feet slapping against the red velvet carpet. I shut my chamber door, going over to my desk to study the paranormal creatures.

----------------------------------------------------------------

By the time I was done reading the pile of books, I was famished. I haven't eaten since breakfast, and I looked out of my chamber's window to see that it was already dusk. I creep out of my bedroom quarters and sneak down into the kitchen. I heat up some microwaveable popcorn, pour it into a bowl, and was about to go back to my room when I noticed that Nilson was sleeping in the den.

His blazer was on the floor, his collared button up shirt was now undone and wrinkled. A bottle of fine wine was open on the table and was half full.

I shake my head, feeling pitiful of him. I lift him up, carrying him into his room. "Whazzat Bucket...? Muh head huuuuuurrrrrrtsssssss..." he murmurs, unable to speak properly because he's obviously drunk. "Shush. I'm helping you." I lay him down on his bed and force him to drink water, which Nilson reluctantly obeys.

A smile slowly creeps onto my face. "I have no idea why I even love a maniac like you." I lean down and kiss him on the forehead, tucking him in. I leave and turn off the lights. "Goodnight Dorkus." I shut the door, and before I left, I can hear him answer: "Goonite Bucket."

----------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued...

June 03, 2022 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

43 comments

Kevin Marlow
20:18 Jul 03, 2022

Good use of tension throughout. I like the descriptors and use of metaphors. As in part 4 you leak out details of something unknown that forces the reader to read on. The internal battle within the protagonist illustrated well how we often empathize with our abusers. Didn't buy the part with the wine, shoulda' been empty, seeing many artists' penchant for alcohol.🥴

Reply

Ace Quinnton
21:31 Jul 03, 2022

Beckett is a special case because they 1) had a bond beforehand, when Nilson was still sane. 2) The villains are very attractive, and Nilson is a charismatic manipulator. Let me explain the alcohol part: Nilson is really lightweight, and the bottle of wine is HUGE.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
04:52 Jun 21, 2022

One nice thing is, since we know the narrator is a writer, the level of depth and richness to their visual description becomes so natural and important. Nilson's character is a true puzzle. I am truly enjoying this story and it's wickedly Gothic and beautiful atmosphere. Your writing is very imaginative and easy to get pulled into.

Reply

Ace Quinnton
15:55 Jun 21, 2022

I was in poetic and gothic mode while writing this. The level of angst in the action scene is amazing and I'm so glad I wrote that. We'll get more on Nilson later on. When you picture something in your mind, you just need to put it into words and place those words on a page/screen.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
00:16 Jun 13, 2022

Wowwww you sure have a knack for really on-the-edge-of-my-seat horror, that’s for sure! At first, I thought it was Gwenore speaking to be honest. Thanks for clearing it up soon enough. It is a little hard to tell what relation Beckett and Nilson are though. And the way we saw Nilson being used is intriguing, like I want to know what is going to happen with the other guy in the conversation. You just have a way of writing that keeps me hooked, way to go!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniel R. Hayes
06:35 Jun 11, 2022

Hi Ace, this second part was fantastic. I love horror stories and this did not disappoint. I think these type of stories come in all different flavors and there is just so much you can do in this genre. This second part was a little on the short side, but I'm going to judge it on a whole. So, I'm headed to the last part now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
15:13 Jun 08, 2022

Ah! You are truly an ACE!!!! This was SOOOOOOOOOOO good.....<3 So, when is the third part coming out? It did give me the Voldemort-ey vibes from Philosopher's Stone....so yeah....I like it!

Reply

Ace Quinnton
17:51 Jun 08, 2022

Thank you. The next one will be coming out as soon as the next prompt comes. (Or if I can use a current prompt now that I haven't done yet that fits right for me and the story.) I'll notify you about it when the next one comes. Also, HARRY POTTER IS AMAZING. I am a proud Hufflepuff.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:56 Jun 09, 2022

XD Thanks.... I am a Ravenclaw! You give me Slytherin vibes...with all that horror and goth-ic-ey stories.......

Reply

Ace Quinnton
14:57 Jun 09, 2022

I might be a mix. Of Hufflepuff and Slytherin. But all the different Hogwarts houses are relatable to me. It really depends on my mood, whether I'm feeling sunshiny, cunning, heroic, or intelligent. I don't do JUST horror. I just have a lot of them NOW, but more genres will come out later when the newer prompts roll around.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:01 Jun 09, 2022

XD Yeah, but it is not necessary to write stories based on prompts, if you are not submitting them for the contest....most of my friends here don't, neither do I

Reply

Ace Quinnton
17:08 Jun 09, 2022

I prefer using a prompt, it helps me get ideas. Using based off prompts, looking at other writers' work to see what most of them are doing with the prompts, then torquing and churning it the opposite way most writers are currently writing it as!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ace Quinnton
21:04 Jun 08, 2022

SEEMINGLY EMPTY PART 3 IS OUT!!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:56 Jun 09, 2022

I am gonna read it soon

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Zack Powell
18:48 Jun 07, 2022

Just finished this and part 1, and now I'm waiting on the third installment. I'm glad you separated them into their own chapters - there's definitely too much content for all these moving pieces to have fit into one single story. What I enjoy the most about your writing is that it makes people want to read more of your work. The way that you end your pieces always makes me go "Wait, I wasn't done with these characters, I need to know everything about them!" This story is a great example. There are still so many mysterious, unknown elements ...

Reply

Ace Quinnton
19:20 Jun 07, 2022

I like it when my readers, including you, question what's going on. With the characters, and everything else. Writing is like clay; you have to shape it how you want it. Sometimes you have to twist it, pull it up, push it down, until it comes out how you want it to be. The suspense that makes them think, and wonder "What will happen next?" I'm glad that you like it. Tell me, if it's not too much trouble, which character are you liking (or even disliking) most?

Reply

Zack Powell
00:32 Jun 08, 2022

"Writing is like clay" is such a great saying. Gonna take that with me going forward in my writing journey. As far as my most liked character, at the moment it's Moxie. She's got a great personality and a big heart, and I tend to gravitate towards people like that in my real life. And for least liked, I'd say it's Nilson, though I'm sure that's the point since he's the antagonist right now.

Reply

Ace Quinnton
01:32 Jun 08, 2022

Your view on Nilson will change, once you REALLY get to know him. Plus, SPOILER ALERT; He's not the REAL villain here. He's only the icon, taking credit for the evil plans even though they weren't his to begin with. The real mastermind behind it all will be revealed soon enough. Moxie is what I like to call 'the Mable' (Gravity Falls) or 'the Greg' (Over the garden wall) kind of character. Her imagination is limitless, has a pure soul, and a big heart of gold. She would go magnificent feats to save those who she cares about even though she...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nicole Of 2022
02:11 Jun 05, 2022

AHHHHHHHHHH OMGGGGG I LOVE IT!!!!!!! wHy dIDNt YoU TELl MEEE YOU MADE MORE STORIES??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Ace Quinnton
02:17 Jun 05, 2022

I thought you already knew- Usually, those who I follow, I check if they submitted new stories daily. If not, I write instead. I just assumed that everyone else did that too. What did you like about the series so far? Anything specific? Likes, dislikes, encouragement, critique... I'm not picky.

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
03:57 Jun 05, 2022

I do that a lot LOL just have not been on that actively. I just love the details in it. I love that it's horrific. Also love the way you write them.

Reply

Ace Quinnton
18:16 Jun 05, 2022

Thank you for reading and commenting. Have a good day/afternoon/evening,

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
22:11 Jun 05, 2022

Thank you for writing!! 6pm for me but you too <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
03:28 Jun 04, 2022

Heya! I loved this part and how it offered an insight into Nilson's character. The ending bit was nicely done--a window to who Nilson really is(deliberate, I believe?). A man being manipulated and in turn, manipulating people. Leaves the reader to wonder whether he really had a choice in this all and is actually a puppet or is it all what it seems to be at the front--a jealous actor taking others down along with him. Wonderful! I have no critique currently, as such. Eagerly waiting for the next part! :D

Reply

Ace Quinnton
18:27 Jun 04, 2022

Basically yeah. That was what I was mainly going for. Someone who masks their struggles with anger, jealousy, and bitterness. But has inner doubts about themselves. It'll be coming sooner than you'll think after the new prompts arrive.

Reply

Philia S
18:41 Jun 04, 2022

Oooh-Nilson is suddenly becoming my favourite character now- Quite relatable on a much smaller scale. XD

Reply

Ace Quinnton
20:01 Jun 04, 2022

I'm a protagonist lover, but I love every character I make. Though, as a sadist, most writers would be like: "But I don't want to put them through all that DRAMA. I just want them to be happy. :')" BUT THEN THERE'S ME: "They destroy the world by their actions, instantly regret it, then have to work together to fix it again which takes a LOT of self-control to not end somebody's life right then."

Reply

Philia S
00:25 Jun 05, 2022

That's nice! It's quite the opposite for me, I like to see me characters go through ~pain~ before they reach their 'happy endings' (or whatever that means) YESSSS HAVE tHEM GO THROUGH CONFLICT thas the proper way XD

Reply

Ace Quinnton
00:35 Jun 05, 2022

Drama is the main reason why stories are good, because you can sympathize the characters. Say for example, if a side character died, I would have all the characters mourn their death. (Unless it was an antagonist side character, then they wouldn't give a crap. Every person for themselves with minor alliances. Always looking out for number one.) I do happy endings too, but if I'm doing a cliff hanger, something REALLY bad has to happen at the peak climax of conflict. So, the readers would want to read the next story. You have to use certain ...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.