211 comments

Christian Friendship Sad

"I got all of the money! If anyone says anything to the cops, you won't be able to say anything after!" Adam cackled. My arms were raised above my head, and my eyes were wide in play-fear.

"O-okay, sir. We-we won't t-t-tell. I promise," I stuttered. Adam laughed one more time, then he ran out of the room with the briefcase. A minute later, Adam came dashing back in, giggling.

"That was awesome, Nikki. I-"

Adam was cut off short when we heard a shout from downstairs.

"Nicole! Adam! Dinner!" Adam's mom yelled. I grinned at Adam as we both ran down the hall, then the staircase. My legs got me to the dining room faster than Adam did. He came in right behind me, panting.

"Pizza and breadsticks, homemade. Just how you two like it." Jo nodded, proud of herself. Like she said, there were two homemade pizzas (one Hawaiian and one Meat Lovers), and sixteen made-from-scratch breadsticks. The greasy aroma of her cooking filled the air, and it was like Heaven to my senses. Adam and I sat down next to each other, and Jo sat down across from us.

"Thanks, Ma. It means a lot to me that you let me stay here this weekend while my parents are gone...Again," I said, upset. Jo and Adam went silent for a minute. They knew what I meant, and even though we were okay with talking about with each other, it was still hard to.

"Oh, it's not problem. You know we love having you here. And, it keeps Adam from playing those stupid video games all day." Jo eyed him wearily; you could tell that he truly was playing video games a lot.

"Mo-om! Can we just say Grace and eat?" Adam reached over and put my hand in his. Jo grabbed my other hand, then Adam and Jo joined hands.

"Dear Lord, thank you for the food before us, and the friends and family around us. We are so blessed to have you in our lives, to have each other in our lives. Thank you. Amen."

"Amen."

"Amen."

I let go of Jo and Adam's hands, immediately pouncing on the delicious meal. Adam wasn't far after me, and soon all three of us were wolfing down the meal.

One hour later, Adam and I were on the couch, watching It's A Long Way From Here. It was actually a movie that Adam and I directed, written, and produced together a few months before. It was about a young girl (our friend Liliona) growing up, wishing she could be an artist, but her parents make her become an accountant. In the end, she breaks free, moves to Paris, and accomplishes her dream job.

Back to the story. We were sitting there, munching on popcorn, when the doorbell rang. Coming from the kitchen, Jo walked to the front door and opened it. My mother was standing there, a stern and tear-streaked face.

"Give me my darn daughter. Right now, Jo. I don't want to wait. Nicole! Come here!" my mother scolded. Frightened, I grabbed Adam's hand and leaned against him. He squeezed my hand tightly while Jo stepped out of the way as Mother pushed past her, into the living room.

"Ni-cole! Get your filthy butt over here! We're going away! Right now! And you better know that you'll never be seeing your father again!" My mother clenched her fists and stared at me, fire in her eyes. I could tell that she was daring me. Daring me to stay where I was. Daring me to disobey her.

I took that dare like you take money out of your grandparents' hands.

Jo could tell that I wasn't moving, so she moved quickly and stepped in front of Mother before she could do anything to me or Adam.

"Now, Gianna. there's no need to overreact. Why don't we-" Jo was immediately cut off by my mother again. We could all tell she wouldn't let anyone talk sense.

"Shut up, Jo! I am not freaking overreacting! I want my daughter, and you're going to give her to me, and that's final!" Mother began to walk towards me again. Jo stopped her again. You could see the fire in both of their eyes.

"Gianna, if you don't stop right now, I won't hesitate to call the police. I may be your friend, but this is getting out of control. Just, go back home. Get a good night's rest, and come back in the morning. Then we'll talk," Jo ordered. I could feel Adam's heavy, fearful breathing on my neck. The two of us were both shaking down to the bone.

"This isn't the last you'll hear of me."

"Yeah, I know. At some point you'll have to pick up your daughter."

When you first see her, Jo looks like a sweetheart. And she is, don't get me wrong. But, if you get that woman mad...You better watch your back. And my mom knew that. That's exactly why she walked out of Jo's house with one last final, livid glare.

"Adam, Nicole, go upstairs. Get a movie on in Adam's room. I'll... be right there." Jo attempted to smile as Adam and I slunk upstairs.


Nine years later...


"Nikki! Adam's here! And it looks like he drove the Convertible!"

A smile spread across my face, ear to ear. After applying a bit of dark red lipstick, I slung my purse over my shoulder and strutted out of my room.

"Coming!" I began my descent down the stairs, making sure not to trip while in my heels. Once I got to the bottom, I heard a gasp. My head snapped to the right, and Daddy was standing there.

"You look beautiful, honey. That is a beautiful color on you. Now, go ahead. Spin, spin!" Daddy cried. My smile spread wider as I spun around and my black, flowy, knee-length dress flew around me. I only stopped when I got dizzy.

Honk! Honk!

Daddy smiled at me, excitement in his eyes. He loved Adam like a son. Maybe in a few years he would be.

"Alright, go on, sweetheart. I love you. Have fun. Be safe. Back by midnight!" His smile got wider (if it was possible) as I pecked him on the cheek, then swirled out of the door.

"Hi, Nikki! You ready?" Adam called. He was in the front seat of the Convertible, just like Daddy had said. The top was down; most likely so that we could still get the slight breeze in the humid, summer, night air.

"I'm more than ready. This is our senior prom, after all. Oh, and Daddy said he's gonna take pictures once we get back because he 'doesn't want to bombard us'." I opened the passenger side door and slid in, closing the door again.

"Alrighty then. We're off to the races!"

Adam and I looked into each other's eyes for a moment before we sped off to the interstate, towards Clearwater High.

November 20, 2020 02:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

211 comments

Sia S
05:46 Dec 03, 2020

"Its not Wingardium Levi-OSA its Wingardium Levi -OSAR" ;)

Reply

13:13 Dec 03, 2020

This made me laugh! I love seeing people attempt to imitate me. Normally I do it back, but I don't know you very well, so I can't.

Reply

Sia S
13:50 Dec 03, 2020

hehe, :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
22:53 Dec 02, 2020

Hey, Hermione. It's me, Pansy Parkinson. *scoff* I still can't believe you hang out with that stupid Potter, and I want to like, smack you for punching Malfoy because we recently starting dating. But as much as I hate to admit it, I need some help with something that only a nerd could figure out. How do you make Polyjuice potion? I mean I can get the ingredients and stuff from Snape, but I need some help.

Reply

02:58 Dec 03, 2020

Hello, Pansy. Potter, stupid? I'm sorry, but he's the one who helped to destroy Voldemort. Without him, Voldemort would have full control and we'd all be doomed. As for punching Malfoy, I have no guilt whatsoever. I do not care that you two started dating. In fact, Malfoy is a foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach. I have no idea why you want to date him. Oh, Pansy. You're so naive. You really think that me, a Gryffindor, would help you, a Slytherin who cares about no one but themselves? Ha! Good try and nope. That is, unless you do somethi...

Reply

Megan Sutherland
11:42 Dec 03, 2020

*eyeroll* What do you want, you filthy little Muggle? Plus, Potter didn't beat Voldemort by brains, silly girl. He only beat him because Dumbledore laid the path out for him and basically handed him instructions on how to do it on a silver platter. AND in Potions in sixth year, when he got really good marks from Slughorn, weren't you the one throwing a fit because you knew you were smarter than him yet he did better with the potions because of his stupid book? As for Malfoy. He is NOT any of those things, he is actually a very nice per...

Reply

15:33 Dec 03, 2020

I want you to teach me how you can admire Malfoy so much, because I can't seem to get a hang of it. Not really. What I truly want you to do for me is teach me how to do the Freezing Spell. I know it seems very simple, but with everything go on now with Professor Moody and the Tournament, I haven't gotten the chance to try it. Now, there is something that I can half-agree with you on. Dumbledore did, indeed, help Harry throughout our school years, but he never gave him direct answers. Sure, there may have been some hints, but no answers. Als...

Reply

Megan Sutherland
01:04 Dec 04, 2020

Yeah, right. You're JEALOUS, Granger, and that's it. You have a crush on Malfoy. I've seen the footage. Freezing Spell? That's one of my favorites. It's very easy. It takes a lot of common sense, which I guess isn't a big Gryffindor trait. Also, it isn't name-calling, silly. It's called the truth. Something your Mudblood brain hasn't quite figured out yet. Also, next to our good friend Voldemort, the founders of Hogwarts were some of the best wizards and witches in all of history. I guarantee your founder could have bewitched the hat t...

Reply

01:26 Dec 04, 2020

Jealous?! I don't know what fantasy world you're living in, Pansy, but I would never have a crush on Malfoy. You are clearly reading the footage wrong. Kind of like how Slytherins lack the trait of anger-control. *mock-smiles* The truth is that the Sorting Hat had no idea what he was doing when he accepted you into Hogwarts. A person who calls other people "Mudbloods" doesn't deserve to be at Hogwarts. Voldemort?! He was the worst wizard in all of history. Dumbledore should be in there, not Voldemort. As for Godric Gryffindor, unlike Slyt...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:34 Dec 01, 2020

Could you maybe check out "Unforgivable" and leave some feedback?

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:48 Mar 03, 2021

I love this.

Reply

20:07 Mar 03, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:52 Dec 13, 2020

would ya wanna do a story together?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megan Sutherland
02:43 Dec 07, 2020

(this is meg now, check meh bio please hehe)

Reply

12:38 Dec 07, 2020

(as Brooke) Okay...

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:39 Dec 07, 2020

Well, Pansy, I read your new bio. Thank you for mentioning me (I will put you in mine), and can we put that behind us as well? I truly do want to have a clean-slate conversation with you.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
23:43 Dec 07, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Megan Sutherland
20:34 Dec 06, 2020

Hello, Granger.

Reply

21:15 Dec 06, 2020

Hello, Parkinson. What do you want?

Reply

Megan Sutherland
22:32 Dec 06, 2020

Nothing. I was just bored. I heard that there's some stuff going on with Cho and Harry? 😈😳

Reply

12:40 Dec 07, 2020

Oh. No, not anymore. P.S. (as Brooke) okay, so we were all roleplaying that, but then Ginny (Amaya) said that she didn't want to break up with Harry in all caps (I laughed so hard at that), so we deleted the thread and it's not true anymore.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
04:35 Dec 04, 2020

I upvoted you.would you mind upvoting me

Reply

14:08 Dec 04, 2020

Oh, gosh! Thank you! I don't mind at all!

Reply

The Cold Ice
15:59 Dec 04, 2020

Welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
01:59 Dec 03, 2020

By the way, Pansy is me. Meg. :)

Reply

02:55 Dec 03, 2020

Okay! I'm Hermione, as you most likely already noticed. So, now, I have to talk like Hermione. Starting now. Hi, Pansy. Still being kept up in the dungeons, tortured by Snape? P.S. (as Brooke) if i'm rude, it's to pansy since she's slytherin and hermione's gryffindor and i apologize for the bad grammar in a rush

Reply

Megan Sutherland
11:35 Dec 03, 2020

(lol, it's fine. Pansy is a jerk too hehe) No, as a matter of fact. Where would you even get that crazy idea, Hermione? Snape absolutely ADORES the Slytherins. What was your House, anyway? Gryffinpaw?

Reply

13:16 Dec 03, 2020

He adores you? Now, that, that right there, just proves how blind you are. Snape may work with Dumbledore, but he sure as flying on broomsticks doesn't like you Slytherins (especially you). I am a Gryffindor, thank you. And my Head of House, Professor McGonagall, genuinely ADORES us.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
00:58 Dec 04, 2020

Mhmmm. Right. Then WHY, may I ask, whenever Potter and Malfoy have a fight, Snape takes Malfoy's side? He's admitted at least a hundred times he only loved Potter's Mudblood mother. He hates Potter. *scoff eyeroll* once again, Gryffindor is WRONG.

Reply

01:17 Dec 04, 2020

Because! If Snape were to take Harry's side, he knows that Lucius Malfoy would destroy him. Yes, he has admitted that, but has he ever actually come out and plainly said that he hates Potter? *annoyed laugh* You can stop that now, Pansy. We all know Slytherin is the "WRONG" one in this situation.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
05:08 Dec 01, 2020

I loved this.Keep writing.Teel me if you write stories I will read it.

Reply

12:34 Dec 01, 2020

Aw, thanks so much!

Reply

The Cold Ice
12:53 Dec 01, 2020

Welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
23:34 Nov 22, 2020

Hey Brooke! I just reread your bio, so you probably won't be seeing this anytime soon. I hope you're doing okay. I'm going to miss you while you're gone! Still keep writing while you're gone, please! Everyone loves your stuff! Your bestie, Megan S.

Reply

23:38 Nov 29, 2020

Hey, Meg! Thanks for the concern! I'm perfectly okay now! And thank you for the compliment! Your bestie, Brooke D.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
02:35 Nov 30, 2020

Yay, I'm glad!! I'm so happy you're backkkkk! Your best bestie of all of the possible besties in the world, Meg

Reply

18:47 Nov 30, 2020

^^ Me, tooooooooooo! Your best bestie of the best bestie of all of the best bestie in the world, B

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
03:24 Nov 20, 2020

WOW! THIS WAS AMAZING, BROOKE! Sorry, that's just my level of excitement here. lol Okay. I really liked the spin you put on the robbing the bank thing- you made it a kid's game instead of a serious crime. Kudos to you for that. I loved the rest of the storyline. But one suggestion- maybe to make it so when the dad comes back he has to fight with the mom a little. Just to make it a little more action-packed. Overall I loved this! Your bestie, Meg

Reply

16:55 Nov 20, 2020

Aw, thank you! XD That makes sense, I'll work on it next time. Your bestie, B

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:39 Feb 01, 2021

🐎

Reply

01:40 Feb 02, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.