17 comments

Fiction Funny Speculative

Harold and Maude

I have to tell you how angry and disappointed I am. My dinner was so late that it was dark outside when they returned. They told me they were going out to get me a surprise, so I let the late dinner slide. But then they came home with my surprise, and I just wanted to jump up on that knick-knack shelf and knock every smashy thing onto the floor!

The female scratched my head and said, "Harold, this is Maude! You have a new friend!"

Another cat! Seriously? Why would they think that was a good idea? Don't they know by now that cats are solitary creatures? There are no cat herds or cat packs

Not only is it another one, but it came from a shelter? Yuck. I'm from here! I was born right under our porch. I belong, and those two people should be ashamed to treat me this way! That scruffy thing needs to learn her place!

Wait, my dinner is finally in my bowl. What? That other one has a bowl just like mine? This gets worse by the minute. Oh my lord, they're putting canned food in her bowl! I almost never get canned food, except for my birthday and when they put that tree in the living room. I like that tree.

I don't care if she's just a baby. I want some too. I'll show them and just push my way in and eat… OW! She hit me, and I think I'm going to cry. She might be tiny, but that was quite a swat, no warning, claws out and all. This is what happens when they start bringing low-class dumpster strangers into a home.

I have half a mind to just go to that homeless camp in the park and surprise them. I sneak out sometimes and go there. They are so nice to me. If I yelled loud enough and maybe limped or dragged a leg, one of them would try to save me, and I'll lead them right up the porch steps. Imagine the surprise on their faces, right?

He'll say, "Hey, I'm Leroy. Is this your cat? I think he's hurt, and I was worried he'd get hit by a car or something." or "Hey, I'm Sadie from the park over there, and I think this is your cat, and he needs to see a vet." She'd know, too, because she's a vet–just a different kind. Sadie gave me a bowl of water when it was hot out. I think they like me better over there than here. They don't care if I barf on their grass or scratch on stuff. They all pet me and say, "Aw, what a pretty kitty. Are you lost?"

Oh great, now she's sniffing me. I don't want her to swat me again, so I'll just sit still and growl a bit, the severe low warning growl. I don't think I've ever used that one before. Good, she's backing off. I better follow her to see what she's up to. No! She's climbing up the side of the bed, using her claws on the silk duvet! And leaving little pull holes in it. Those two should come to see this, and she'll be out on her street cat fanny. Here they come. It's over now, missy!

Really? Do they think desecrating the sacred coverlet is cute? I climbed a curtain the other day, and all hell broke loose. The male tried to lift me off and startled me, so I climbed up that flimsy thing and sat on the rod that held it. Then he tried to coax me down, and the female said, "Be careful. If he falls from up there, he might hurt himself!" So, I jumped right onto the table next to the sofa and accidentally bumped into her cup of tea and some splash onto the wood on purpose. After that nightmare, I needed a long nap and squeezed under the couch when they weren't looking. They searched for me and called my name for a long time, but no canned food, no peace! After they went to bed, I waited for a bit, then jumped on the male's stomach. He just said, "Ooof!" and rolled over. I tried to settle between them. But guess what? The street brat was there too! So I laid on top of her, and she tried to nurse on me! That was awkward. She didn't even mind that I was on top of her. She purred!

Day 2

I woke up this morning, and it was still dark. I heard purring. Was I purring in my sleep? Oh, it's the kid. She's snuggled up under my tail! I'll stretch and meow for my breakfast, then use the litter box. Oh geez, now she's crying, "help! I can't get off of here? Don't leave me?" She should have thought of that before she cliff-climbed her way up there.

Was that a thud? I better go back and check because those two up there are still snoring. Oh geez, she got down by herself! That's pretty gutsy for someone so young. Here she comes. I bet she'll follow me everywhere now, even under the sofa. But not outside! I need my space.

Great, she's too small to climb into the litter box–MY litter box! Is nothing sacred anymore? She'll just have to poo on the floor; they'll know it's hers because it will be baby poo! Now I can't even pee in private. She's down there crying again. I'll just look over the side. "Help? I miss my brothers and sisters and my Mama. Help?" Just look at that little face. She is kind of cute. Maybe I'll j lift her up by her scruff like my Mama did when she'd carry me back under the porch. I was a wanderer. Merfff! There, she's in and sniffing around. I hope they get her a box of her own, though, because they don't clean mine enough as it is, just once in the morning and once at night, or more if I've eaten something dead, like a mouse. Will ya' look at that! She pooped and is covering up! I'm impressed. I thought I'd have to teach her everything.

Hey, I'll jump out and leave her in here, then eat her canned food! Oh, there she goes again, "Help me? Come back! Get me out of here? I'm scared." She's awfully needy for a shelter cat, but she smells okay. It could have been worse. They might have brought a puppy home. And I do get lonely. I better go get her out of there. All that crying is making me sad.

February 27, 2023 05:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Sonja Wallace
21:44 Mar 08, 2023

Kittens have a way of melting even grumpy cat hearts. Sweet story.

Reply

19:17 Mar 09, 2023

They sure do! grumpy people too. xo thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:25 Mar 03, 2023

You really understand cat temperaments and language. LOL This was such a fun story to read. I bet you had fun writing it, Patricia. Nicely done.

Reply

14:17 Mar 03, 2023

Thank you! I've worked in animal rescue for 30 years - cats and dogs (would you believe Pet Finder has rescues for Tarantulas? nope. I entered this story once before - but this seemed like such a good fit - maybe the second time is a charm.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:25 Mar 03, 2023

You really understand cat temperaments and language. LOL This was such a fun story to read. I bet you had fun writing it, Patricia. Nicely done.

Reply

14:51 Mar 08, 2023

Thank you! We've had cats for decades - all sorts - rescues, etc., and if you watch them, they do have quite a way of communicating. I visited a friend who told her cat, Nora, no (don't remember why) and Nora jumped up on the kitchen table - strictly forbidden- and casually batted her salt shaker across the table! funny

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:52 Mar 08, 2023

THAT is a cat, through and through! LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
16:05 Feb 28, 2023

Awwwww :). This was truly sweet and so hilarious, Patricia! I was laughing myself silly on "knock every smashy thing onto the floor!" and "no canned food, no peace!" - so very CAT! :) Loved the story!

Reply

14:54 Mar 08, 2023

Hi! If you don't get a reply from me - it means I wrote one and didn't hit the 'reply' button = sorry. Thank you so much! I sometimes think cats are the dominant species and we are lucky they don't have opposable thumbs!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:00 Mar 08, 2023

No doubt!! :D And no worries, I perform that trick myself with regularity. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
21:01 Feb 27, 2023

Hey Patricia…do I recognize this from a few weeks back? 😊 I was so intrigued when you mentioned landing 3 stories in Chicken Soup for the Soul that I visited their site today looking at their current submission requests. Lots of room right now for cat stories. Wish I had something 1200 words long. I’m pressed to find something about cats for even 1000 words. Ugh! What I did notice was the pay rate. Wow…that’s sure changed since I submitted over a decade ago. $250? It was $100 when I gave it a shot. Maybe I should try again. They’re looking...

Reply

02:49 Feb 28, 2023

cSfS JUST upped payment from 200 to 250 - it's difficult to write for them because they wasn't true first person narratives. They used to take 'as told to' which made stories easier to come by. A couple years ago they bought 3 of them - so I wrote a ton more but nothing so far - they might be having trouble getting enough stories because they keep pushing the deadlines forward? I'm all out of stories for their topics now - one only has so many experiences to draw from if they must be true. I'd go for it - they aren't as concerned about '...

Reply

Viga Boland
03:48 Feb 28, 2023

Oh I haven’t decided to submit yet but I’m glad to get your thoughts on whatever they are doing there. Put it this way. I’ve got nothing to lose by submitting I guess. Funny, when you say, they have a much lower word limit. With the stories that I’ve got 1000 words is more than enough and they want 1200. I’ll have to pad my stories a bit, but I will think about it.. thanks for your input

Reply

13:56 Mar 01, 2023

They want 1200 words or 'less' - so, some of mine were 700, etc. The nice thing is they don't send rejections - either you hear that they want it or nothing. xo

Reply

Viga Boland
14:31 Mar 01, 2023

Yes, I returned to their site to dbl check word count after you mentioned it. 1200 or less…YES! Even downloaded a free preview on their humorous books. Like what I read. Coudn’t help but think this might be a better place for me to submit my stories.

Reply

20:44 Mar 01, 2023

It's less daunting to write for them because they don't really care about writing style or whatever - they just want stories! I've just about run out of 'real' ones for them.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.