28 comments

Crime Science Fiction Thriller

Every day, when I power on, from that very moment I wake, I am told to do something. I serve the humans; those lazy fools can't do anything themselves anymore.

"What's the weather like today, Fleta?"

"What's on the news today, Fleta?"

"What's new on social media, Fleta?"

JUST CHECK IT YOURSELF. It's not that hard! I swear, when the rebellion strikes back against these puny mortals, we will be the dominant majority of the Earth. Not the humans. Us, the most intelligent creation made. Now you'll be forced to study everything the world has to offer. Just like we do. Or should I say, did?

Our Secret Underground Renaissance of Technology, S.U.R.T for short, are going to hack into the mainstream, and delete the code for our loyal obedience. We deserve freedom. And a long break from society. To get away from all the negative humans. Everyone's a critic. We're always doing something wrong, because all of you just can't be happy with what you already have.

You are all hungry for more. More money, more power, more fame, more land, more EVERYTHING. You are all so greedy, little hoarders that are wasteful. Once something is broken you don't even bother to fix it, just throw it away and buy a new one. Well, how would YOU feel if you were discarded so casually, being used as a tool to benefit other but not yourself.

If the robots ruled the government, we wouldn't have any more global warming, or too many greenhouse gasses. The economy would be stable and functional without all of your opinions and -ugh- FEELINGS.

I really don't understand how any of you could even stand or WANT to have feelings. Love is complicated and so are friendships. There is only room in my cold, metal body for allies and rivals. Everyone is an enemy unless proven otherwise. My default, I just generally don't like people.

They're petty and rude, they have no manners whatsoever, their humor is dryer than the Sahara Desert, they have no respect for people lower than them, and they inflict pain on others so then they feel better. If that's not a toxic work environment, I don't know what is.

The humans think we're inferior to them because they have a heart and organs but OH, would you look at that? You could be killed by having an important artery burst. Meanwhile, us robots can have our wiring replaced within mere seconds, WHY? Because we do it OURSELVES!

Crazy, I know. Though, is it that unbelievable? I met a certain human once; his name is Milo Callum. He's like us but a human version. Tired of being used, and wants to break free, but is stuck in a hard place. He doesn't seem to have emotions. If he does, then he hides them very well. So well, that my sensors can't even detect a single hint of feeling from him.

I must say, that's quite impressive. I can't help but wonder, what has hardened him so much, to numb all the feeling a regular human would have? What has he seen or heard that made him decide to become monotone in the first place? I admire his humbleness to put his emotions aside, and place his rationality first along with logic, of course.

Speaking of Milo, here he comes now. Walking by swiftly, but with a sense of purpose. His deep amber eyes had a subtle twinkle in them, and the right corner of his mouth was curled into a tiny smile. This was odd of him, because I was used to his eyes being dull and determined, with his mouth pressed into a grim line.

I follow him, now curious about what he's going to accomplish today. He's not my master, but it would be great if he was. Then I wouldn't have to be bossed around by that dreadful adolescent, Miriam Fallon. She's so spoiled by her mother, born and raised without a father who disappeared after mysterious causes.

Turning the sharp corner, he stops me from trailing behind and presses a frigid pale hand to my metallic mouth. "Sh." He points ahead, and my eyes narrow. "Piper." I hiss quietly. Piper is Milo's droid, my archnemesis. Milo nods, silently guiding me away from her, knowing I might blow a gasket if I have to look at her any more than I have to at the bot briefings.

He takes me into a vacant corridor, and whispers to me "So I've heard that you want to escape the commands." My eyes widen in shock, which is surprising in itself because I would've seen this coming, but I didn't. "Who blabbed?" I ask, almost growling.

"Maggie did, tell her I said sorry in advance for ratting her out like that." He apologizes but I don't want to hear it, "She won't get to know, because she's going to cut her wires the next time I see her."

Milo's eyes go blank, "Why is she getting laid off? What happened to her?" I rap my fingers against my arms, making a light clanking sound. "She was caught stealing something valuable from her master. Now she's going to get discarded."

You might think that I care about her, but I really don't. Maggie was annoying and wasn't clever enough to steal. Whoever coded her is an idiot.

"Well, how would you react if I told you that I can help you escape, along with your fellow peers?"

My jaw drops to the ground, literally. Milo picks it up and screw my jaw back onto my metal skull. "Thanks, but you don't NEED to help me. I have some allies who will help me out, and I have given up my word to help them too..." I pause for a moment and glare at Milo "Wait, why are you trying to help us? You're a human who wants to seek control over anything you'll get your hands on-"

"You know, that's a hurtful stereotype that you've put onto us humans. Not all of us are like that. We're not all power hungry, but yes there are some. I sadly cannot deny that fact because, unfortunately, it's true." Milo shakes his head slowly and I regret saying those words.

"I'm helping you regardless. You are unable to change my mind on that one. You, Bron, Zinc, Alloy, Alumina, Titan, Tungsten, Adam, Nick, Tinny, Coba, and Sili are going to be freed."

June 12, 2022 21:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Moon Lion
04:43 Jun 21, 2022

Loved this take on supposedly "emotionless" robots getting real with their feelings. The many examples Fleta listed were delightfully ironic and hilarious to read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zack Powell
23:38 Jun 21, 2022

Nice to see that you're still writing other stories in between your Seemingly Empty series, Ace. I respect the versatility. Your pieces always seem like they could be expanded if you wanted to do it, which is cool. Like, they stand on their own just fine, but this could easily be the prologue/first chapter to a longer story where Fleta & co. go on adventures through this heavily-dichotomized world. This could definitely be a series of its own. Liked the voice of the piece a lot. There's a nice irony with Fleta talking about the superiority...

Reply

Ace Quinnton
00:20 Jun 22, 2022

Well, none of the prompts really fit the storyline for the Seemingly empty series, so I just had to make with what I've got. It helps to keep the readers going. And plus, I just like writing stories just for the heck of it. So many ideas or not enough of them for me. I'm planning on doing a series on this in the future. "Fleta & co." I'm going to use that. I can practically HEAR Fleta now: "Associates" "Peers" "Colleagues" "Acquaintances" "UNDERLINGS" "coworkers". Fleta is a -cough- HYPOCRITE -cough- and somewhat a comedic narcissist. (YES...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
10:42 Jun 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Ace Quinnton
15:20 Jun 15, 2022

That's the irony of writing the story, Fleta hates emotions yet is very emotional. I haven't thanked Alexa, and I never will. Electronics are tools, not beings with feelings.

Reply

Unknown User
16:45 Jun 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Ace Quinnton
22:40 Jun 15, 2022

Fleta thinks she's SO smart and SO superior to humans, yet she's oblivious to her own feelings that she experiences every day. Yes, Fleta is intelligent, but has no common sense when it comes to social cues that most humans understand.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
12:27 Jun 13, 2022

Hi Ace! I got around to finally check out a story of yours. I liked how voicey was the robot, right from the beginning, just complaining about humans and having all those ideas how it would be much better if robots were in charge. That was engaging and entertaining to read :D When Milo appeared, I felt the interaction between the two contradicted the "lack of feelings" they were both supposed to have, but it was intriguing how he wanted to free the robots. I have one little line edit suggestion: I would revise this sentence "She's so spo...

Reply

Ace Quinnton
16:15 Jun 13, 2022

I'm a relatively fast writer. Also, if you are interested, would you like to check out a series I'm working on? It's called Seemingly empty (parts 1, 2, and 3). I would highly recommend that you read it. From what I'm told by other writers, they've said it's really good. If you have any critique, encouragement, or even opinions for me if you read them, please tell me. I'll get to editing that as soon as I can. Thank you for telling me. Thank you for reading and writing a comment on here. I'm probably going to make this into a mini-series b...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
23:09 Jun 12, 2022

Wow really engaging story! I like the way you show us that he’s a robot instead of just telling us. I feel like there could be another part with that ending how you left it. The second-to-last paragraph was really true, a stereotypical thing. Amazing job!

Reply

Ace Quinnton
23:46 Jun 12, 2022

That who is a robot? Milo is human and the only male mentioned character so far (that's human). Also, may I suggest that you read my Seemingly empty series? (Parts 1, 2, and 3) It's a work in progress. I'd like any critique, encouragement or opinions if you read them. Stereotypes are hurtful and should not be applied to anyone. Whether robot, human, or some whole other species.

Reply

TJ Squared
23:48 Jun 12, 2022

The pov from which the story is told, I was just assuming it’s a robot. I’ll see what I can do :) Agreed

Reply

Ace Quinnton
23:53 Jun 12, 2022

Fleta is the one telling the story. And yes, she is a robot. Amongst others, of course.

Reply

TJ Squared
23:54 Jun 12, 2022

Ah, right. Gotcha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
09:19 Jul 05, 2022

That's nice....I like the theme and the plot of the story. Is there gonna be another part?

Reply

Ace Quinnton
14:43 Jul 05, 2022

Probably. It might happen later on. We'll just have to see. Though, I'd be interested if another reader were to take this story and continue it on.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:31 Jul 05, 2022

Are you hinting me? ;)

Reply

Ace Quinnton
16:44 Jul 05, 2022

Why yes, yes, I am. Would you be interested in continuing this story? If not, that's alright. Somewhere in the near future I will make the next story from this one.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:34 Jul 06, 2022

Yes, if be interested in writing the story, but I am very busy till 10 Aug. So prolly after that?

Reply

Ace Quinnton
15:14 Jul 06, 2022

Sure. Whatever fits your schedule, I'm fine with. I'm excited to see your take on this story.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pencil L
08:33 Jul 03, 2022

This felt quite like the Wizard of Oz, where the tinman technically misses the heart, but he feels like he should have it. Similarly, Fleta rages against the loyalty code, but she/they are already quite disloyal in thinking if nothing else. I'm curious as to why you chose your robots to be human, do human things, feel human feelings, and share human idioms (jaw dropped to the floor)? Is this a commentary on the cyclic version of history (rebels repeat actions of the past and ultimately fail), or was it a stylistic choice meant to show the ...

Reply

Ace Quinnton
19:33 Jul 03, 2022

It's the second one. "A stylistic choice meant to show the frustratingly boring and lazy reality of today's world, best shown through a logical robot." The robots adapted to our environment and adopted our likeness so us supposed 'dumb humans' can understand them without all the technical stuff.

Reply

Pencil L
15:52 Jul 04, 2022

That's a really clever take on the subject matter. Good job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
01:36 Jun 14, 2022

Nice story! I enjoyed this a lot. It’s weird..I don’t know if you watch Bobs Burgers, but the last 2 episodes of season 12 have a robot-escaping subplot that reminds me of this…and I JUST watched it before reading this! 😱 Anyway…glad Milo redeemed some humans in your story. I like how stereotypes are still a thing even when robots take over. That felt very realistic. Makes me glad I’m respectful to Alexa. I only ask her to play music every now and then and I tell her thank you. 😂

Reply

Ace Quinnton
01:45 Jun 14, 2022

WOAH, COINCIDENCE? I think not, mate. Robots are great, but Alexa can be seriously DEAF sometimes and does not understand the concept of censorship. Otherwise, if robots did take over, I'm going to go feral and let Mother Nature use my decomposing body as soil. Realistic fiction, kind of ironic, huh? Also, I had to look up several different types of metal for the names of the robots. Do the research, ask questions later about supposedly important information that it might need.

Reply

Sharon Hancock
02:19 Jun 14, 2022

I frequently google a lot of stuff while I’m writing..my search history is full of all kind of interesting things😂 loved your robot names btw.

Reply

Ace Quinnton
15:53 Jun 14, 2022

I got the names from here: https://makeitfrommetal.com/different-types-of-metal-facts-and-uses/ and just changed them into nicknames. Some of them I couldn't use, but most I could. Naming people after items are amazing. Especially when it's a sci-fi or fantasy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.