33 comments

Funny Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

Around and around and around, Kate spun in her office chair. A child at heart but adult in body, she stopped spinning as she had succumbed to dizziness. I should check my second email, she convinced herself. I never check that one enough. Her second email was the same as her first, except this one sported a number two. Her creativity couldn’t be wasted on trivial matters.  It’ll only take a minute, and then I’ll get back to work. She pulled up the browser and typed in her login information. This email account was used sparingly to avoid it becoming congested. She deleted a few emails, and that’s when she saw it. CONGRATULATIONS was in the subject line. She was skeptical until she realized that it was from her favorite short story competition site. She held her breath and opened the email. Multi-colored confetti cascaded down from the ceiling. She won! Yes! She held her hands up in victory squealing with delight. Chariots of Fire played as she spun around in her office chair again, this time in slow motion. 

“Kate? “Earth to Kate!”

“Huh? Sorry! I didn’t mean to be a space cadet.” Kate snapped out of her thoughts.

“Do you think there was probable cause or not?” Her colleague asked.

“Let’s start from the beginning, and this time I promise I’ll pay attention.” 

***

 It was Sunday; the perfect day to write! Kate needed the whole day to crank out one story. Even though it was a short story competition, there was nothing short about her writing process. When she first started posting her stories, Kate was naïve about gaining readers. Now, however, she was versed in the art. Writing a story on the weekend meant the story would be published sooner and more readers would see it. Additionally, Kate learned that one must read and comment on the other stories too, and in return, they would read and comment on hers. It was quid pro quo style. Kate had shared her link with her family and friends, but they just weren’t as excited. It wasn’t that they weren’t supportive, they read some of her stories, they just couldn’t understand how proud Kate became each time she published a story. One of her colleagues, on the other hand, shared her writing passion, so Kate would have long discussions with her about their writing ideas. They did this in between their work, of course.            

Kate opened her laptop and sat on her couch. Yes, laptop, she preferred typing on a real keyboard, and in a Word document first. She may still be living in the Stone Age, but the laptop had been a gift from her grandmother. It had endured law school; it was worthy of her stories. Whenever she sat down to write, her cat would always decide he needed attention. Today was no exception. The minute she opened her laptop, he crawled right on top. She pulled him off before his own story was finished, but he just kept coming back. She closed her laptop to give him some attention. That some attention turned into an hour, and Kate had nothing written. 

The first step in her writing process was deciding what to write. Part of her problem was she overthought everything. What prompt would she write? How would her story progress? Often times she would think of an idea and even write a small paragraph, but then she wouldn’t know where the story should lead. Hence, a couple of weeks would pass between Kate’s publications. Kate saved her idea paragraphs and on occasion could turn one of those starters into a whole story for a different prompt. Writer’s block was a very real thing, and she wasn’t even a published author. She admired the writers who could publish a story, or even a story per prompt, per week. How did they have that much inspiration? Kate would try typing a story, but her type A personality would become bogged down in making perfect sentences. Sometimes, when Kate was in a rut, she would read the other stories to gain insight. What makes a good story? Occasionally, jealously would rear its ugly head. How could she compete with such talented writers? Other times, Kate would re-read her stories and the comments that she received. They made her smile. They gave her motivation to proceed. She would pat herself on the back and toot her own horn relishing in her own story heaven. 

Kate remembered her first story. It was a tough story, content wise.  It was sad. It was awkward. Why did she get her feet wet with such a story? She worried at how it would be received. Would the other readers think her ideas were weird? Would they like her writing style? To her surprise, readers enjoyed her story, and Kate became addicted to the feedback. Her ego was boosted with every comment. From then on, once Kate posted a story, she religiously refreshed the site more than she cared to admit, looking for the famous yellow dot. After reading a story about yellow dot fever, Kate was convinced she was afflicted.   

She wrote more stories. Some of her stories had her laughing while she typed. Other stories, she cried through wondering why she did that to herself. She soon learned that writing was cathartic; whatever she was feeling could be written. She built stories related to other stories. Her stories had stories! When she re-read her stories, she found commonalities.  She was a sucker for romance and drama, and many of her stories had the damsel in distress cliché. She made a mental to work on that. A few of her stories could even be classified as Hallmark, except for the one she wrote about sex. Her goody two-shoed, Catholic side still cringes; a part of her will always be prudish. All of her stories were special to her, although she did have some favorites, which was hard for her to admit because it was as if she were picking a favorite child.      

Which is why, after her story analysis, she found herself on her couch trying to think outside of her box. She attempted to create something completely different. Reinventing the wheel was hard. Then, an idea struck her. What if she writes a story about writing a story? All it took was a spark, and she began feverishly typing. It still took her the better part of the day and into the next, but the idea was flowing. Writing about herself made her more vulnerable. It chewed away at the anonymity of her pen name, but there was something more honest about her story; it was real. It was literally and figuratively her story. There were plenty more opportunities for her to live in a fake world, but this week she was comfortable with the real one.  

When she reached the end, she thought about her day dream earlier. Did she have what it takes to be a winner? Was there a congratulatory email, or was the yellow dot the bearer of great news. They say you have to dream it to believe it. She had the dream. Perhaps the real question though, was it enough?

October 10, 2022 20:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Graham Kinross
01:36 Nov 21, 2023

Anyone who’s been on reedsy for a while can relate to this. There’s a thrill to having a comment to respond to and it’s addictive putting out your stories and building worlds.

Reply

Kate Winchester
02:33 Nov 21, 2023

Thank you! I’m glad you found it relatable! I agree. There’s definitely a thrill. 🤗

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:56 Nov 21, 2023

You’re welcome. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
14:50 Jun 15, 2023

You've told a story many here on the platform can identify with. Well done.

Reply

Kate Winchester
18:23 Jun 15, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
10:16 Feb 01, 2023

Really enjoyed the honesty behind your story. A great read and very relatable Kate. I’m a slow writer too. I honestly don’t know how people manage to write a story in a day. Let alone two! Sounds like you’re on the right track. Good luck.

Reply

Kate Winchester
13:55 Feb 01, 2023

Thank you! I’m very glad it was relatable. Lol, I know right, those overachievers. 😉

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:03 Feb 01, 2023

😃 No harm aiming high.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:04 Jan 21, 2023

Clever and witty— I think many of us can relate. My fur baby, Mr. Toby is sprawled out on my lap as I write this response, and I also favor the old school approach to writing. So many things in common that I felt like I was reading out of the mirror for most of it. Nice job!

Reply

Kate Winchester
16:57 Jan 21, 2023

Thank you! I’m very glad this was relatable and that you enjoyed it. Aww, gotta love the fur babies. 🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Lehnert
18:59 Jan 10, 2023

Yes. Kate. Everyone of us recognized here . Good story and keep on writing it will happen to you. Thankyou so much.

Reply

Kate Winchester
19:10 Jan 10, 2023

Thank you! I’m glad it was relatable 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:55 Jan 03, 2023

Heh, oh so very relatable :) Particularly about the work involved. I don't think you can appreciate it, unless you try it yourself. At least, my experience has been similar to yours. People who don't write are like "oh, another story, big whoop", but people who do write panic together as the deadline looms :)

Reply

Kate Winchester
00:58 Jan 04, 2023

Thank you. Yes, that’s so true!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
06:00 Nov 10, 2022

Hi Kate, I strongly identified with the 'You' in your story, particularly the Yellow Dot fever. I have rarely received a Yellow Dot but when I did I couldn't stop going back into the site .... just in case! A good story which I am sure many of us writers strongly identified with.

Reply

Kate Winchester
06:50 Nov 13, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
22:42 Oct 23, 2022

Hey Kate! I’m so glad you wrote this story! It was an awesome opportunity to get to know the writer behind the stories. Here I am, dying to know more about your cat, since my husband is deathly allergic and I shall only receive a feline writing buddy upon his death. I loved the way this story discussed your journey-even the moments of self doubt. I also loved how you talked about yellow dot fever. My favorite line was: It had endured law school; it was worthy of her stories. Nice jobB

Reply

Kate Winchester
03:15 Oct 24, 2022

Aww, it’s too bad your husband is allergic. My cat’s name is Karl. I got him a year ago because a friend needed to re-home him. Thanks so much for commenting! I’m glad you enjoyed reading about my journey. ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jennifer Cameron
12:39 Oct 18, 2022

Loved this! Although I think I'm from the dinosaur age, I'm only 21 and yet pen and paper will always have my heart when it comes to writing haha, this was a wonderful story.

Reply

Kate Winchester
13:01 Oct 18, 2022

Thank you! 🤗 Hahahaha, nothing wrong with pen and paper. I prefer typing, but only because it’s faster for me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brenda Wilson
16:56 Oct 17, 2022

This was so relatable to your audience! I hope the dream becomes a reality for you soon!

Reply

Kate Winchester
18:20 Oct 17, 2022

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
08:39 Oct 17, 2022

hmmmm laa laaaa. 1.) Your voice rings through in the prose. 2.) you write clearly 3.) Might you have a running tone/theme... ? Change it up. You are a nun that was born in an abbey. Your character's name is Ms. Abbey. Now Abbey becomes very interesting when put in the most _awful_ situation. Here are a few to choose from: -Abbey is forced to run an off-the-books prison for terrorists. She is tasked with finding out where the next bomb will be found. -Kanye "Ye" West has just chosen to give Abbey's eleven children all scholarships to...

Reply

Kate Winchester
12:02 Oct 17, 2022

Thanks for the feedback. Hahaha those are good ideas. I had no idea there was a Reedsy discord lol.

Reply

Tommy Goround
13:48 Oct 17, 2022

This is why I try to write romance though I completely fail. It is the hope that the juxtaposition give some comedy elements.

Reply

Kate Winchester
22:43 Oct 17, 2022

I’m sure you’re better at romances than you think. Do you mean the juxtaposition of two lovers?

Reply

Tommy Goround
23:14 Oct 17, 2022

No. Is the inability to... Be romantic mixed with the need for the genre to have your write romantically.

Reply

Kate Winchester
23:24 Oct 17, 2022

Oh I get it now lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trebor Mack
03:54 Oct 16, 2022

The opening paragraph of your story contained both First Person and Second Person prose. I'd suggest if you wish to switch from First to Second you insert speech quotation marks or change the font style to highlight the difference. Your overuse of vague and abstract words (42) adversely affects your work. For example, you have used 'would' 19 times and 'about' nine times. Other grammar errors were detected. It's okay to have a good storyline but if you want to be taken seriously you need to address the above listed issues. ... TM

Reply

Kate Winchester
13:46 Oct 16, 2022

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep that in mind for my next story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
14:01 Oct 11, 2022

*clapping* Woohoo! I ate this one up, simple because it was so real, and SO me! Haha. I'm thinking, "Oh thank God, Kate, it's not just me!" Love the originality here. Sometimes just telling it like it is is the best way to go. The long writing process, the overthinking a story and comparing yourself to other writers, the quid pro quo of a writing community, the yellow dot fever (!!!!), wondering how a winner is notified - way to make us all feel normal! Loved it, and I thank you for sharing!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:32 Oct 11, 2022

Oh! And I also meant to say - you SHOULD feel proud every time you submit a story. Enjoy and celebrate the process. It is hard for non-writers to understand the feeling of accomplishment we get when we complete something that started out feeling so grueling. That's why I'm so happy to have a community here that appreciates and supports us, and I think that's the real addiction!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Winchester
16:53 Oct 11, 2022

Thank you! I’m so glad it was relatable! Lol, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who feels that way. Yes, I agree, I love the community and you’re right, that is the addiction. 🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.