77 comments

Funny Crime Contemporary

I feel my intestines move. It’s a sudden jerking – spleenwards – and then a quiet simmer. Is this what it’s like for pregnant women, when the baby kicks? Only, instead of a baby, it’s a nest of garter snakes. And the snakes are suddenly cold and they’re looking for a hot stone to rest on, and they drag my balls up into my body with them, as though they were dragging their luggage to the bus stop.

And I wonder: is this a sign? Am I making a mistake? Right now?

It’s weird to feel cold inside, to have ice spreading over and through my stomach right when my armpits are a furnace, a rainforest dripping sweat. A sweatforest. And this damn vest is so uncomfortable – it chafes, it stutters over my chapped skin every time I shift, and it makes a pfrrt every time it slips and friction-burns me.

Making the vest too tight was a mistake. I’ll admit that. But that can’t explain the blurry vision, or how hard it suddenly is to squeeze every moist breath in and out.

“Please get Lorraine,” I tell the Taco Typhoon cashier – a small, older woman who probably took this job because her life didn’t pan out the way she wanted it to. “I need to speak with her.” Yeah, my life isn’t going to not-turn out. I’m not going to let my dreams flit by. My dreams, and Lorraine’s. “Oh, and get me a large Coke. Lots of ice.”

That should help me cool down. My skin’s almost sizzling. Although, maybe I should have ordered a large coffee to deal with the ice in my guts.

What’s wrong with me?

Is this because of the latest fight with Lorraine? Nah. After a million, what’s one more. After all, we’re meant to be. I know that. Soon, she will too.

Is this because I recently started reading that Rumi book? I don’t remember the last time I read poetry. I don’t think we ever covered it in school, and if we did, it was totally forgettable. Was Shakespeare poetry? Whatever.

Rumi’s all right, I’ll admit, but I’m not sure I get it. There’s a lot of poems about drinking, only I suspect they’re not actually about drinking. And quite a few about friendships and dead people. And the way they end, it’s like he suddenly changes the topic, or like he’s been talking about something else all along and it’s gone over my head.

And God.

Lots about God. I think he’s a Muslim – is it okay for me to read his stuff? Will anyone ever know? Not that I’m much of a Christian, I guess. Don’t think I’ve ever really thought about God. Or, I guess, the bigger meaning of things. Of what my place is in the universe, of how we’re all connected. Well, other than me and Lorraine, anyway.

Suddenly my throat tightens and I feel my heart flutter.

Oh my God. Maybe – is this enlightenment? Am I feeling this way because I started thinking about stuff, and I’ve had a spiritual awakening? I had no idea it could be this powerful. Maybe this is a new start for me – a new life. Yeah! Me and Lorraine, we’re going to live a real saintly life going forward, full of grace and all that other shit.

The old woman sets down a big cup, and I hear the ice slosh around inside. Both my hands are full, and I take a moment to weigh cellphone against gun, and then set my phone on the counter, freeing my left hand for the drink. The cup sweats as much as I do, and its waxy flesh dimples under my fingers. And damn – I mean, dang – is it ever refreshing! Cold and dusky sweet and watered down just the right amount, and the bubbles pop and enliven my mouth again. Jeez, is there anything more revitalizing? Ask and you shall receive, am I right?

Suddenly my intestines roil again and my stomach jiggles. It makes a wet slapping noise, like my dad’s outboard motor that one time he took me fishing and I flooded it. And then, at the spearhead of a whole new wave of feverish hot-cold, my sphincter seizes.

Maybe this isn’t enlightenment. Maybe this is that damned El Monstruosidad that I just ate. God damned burrito from hell. Dripping orgasmically with three kinds of gooey cheese and loaded with shredded, grilled, greasy, melty bits of steak – and I know, steak’s one of those meats that’s typically not supposed to melt, but it’s so delicious I’m not going to be the one who asks the Taco Typhoon people questions – and absolutely slathered in hot sauce and jalapeños, stuffed with chicken-fried rice and french-fried potatoes, and a pint of sour cream to wash it down: a pound and a half of heaven in tortilla.

Maybe I should have paced myself instead of inhaling the damn thing in five minutes. After all, you do not eat El Monstruosidad, you only borrow it. And now the bastard wants out.

The old cashier mumbles something, but I don’t hear her.

“What?”

“Lorraine doesn’t have a shift today,” she repeats.

Oh for fuck’s sake!

A flash of searing runs down my esophagus and my fingertips tingle. I drop my soda and almost drop my gun. I am definitely knee deep in mistake.

“What the hell do you mean?” I shout, and the little old lady flinches, and yeah, sorry about that but it’s not really my fault. It’s Wednesday – Lorraine always works Wednesday, 3 to 7 PM. Every damn Wednesday for the past two years. Jesus, it is Wednesday, isn’t it?

“Call her! Get her to come down here right now–”

Suddenly my phone buzzes, rumbling across the sales counter, “OATLEY” on the ID. This guy again.

“What!?”

“Let them out,” officer Oatley says. “They didn’t do anything.”

“No!” And stop asking – I’m busy. “Hey, question for you. What day is it?”

“What day? It’s the fourth.”

“Yeah, no, I mean what day of the week.”

“It’s Tuesday.”

Fuck!

The gut snakes boil again, and I think one of them bites me in the heart or lung or something because there’s a needle of a chest pain suddenly. Then a fist of gas explodes up my throat and I let out – actually, on any other day I’d say it was damn impressive – a hell of a burp.

Oatley continues yammering but I cut him off.

“No!” I say. “I gotta talk with Lorraine Blanks!”

“Lorraine Blanks?”

“She’s a cashier that works here, only she’s not in today. Get her the hell down here!”

“I’ll get her on the phone, but you have to let the others out. They’re not part of this.”

Jesus, this guy – skeezy salesman. Well, I’d love to haggle with him, but it feels like the snakes are pushing for the southern border again, and hard. I’m starting to think El Monstruosidad is beating Rumi.

“Fine, whatever! I’ll think about it – just get her down here!” He mumbles something I don’t catch, and my guts sound like a cross between a chainsaw and a whale. “I gotta go! I’ll call you back!”

I slam my phone on the counter, which is a mistake, because it’s a cellphone. Then I tap ‘end call’ and slide it into my pocket.

“Give me the key to the bathroom!” I tell the old woman.

“I’m sorry,” she says. “It’s for paying customers only.”

I’m stunned. There’s a moment of silence between us, with only my innards idling. She stares up at me, with these big eyes made all the bigger by her glasses, and it’s like she’s as surprised at what she said as I am. Almost like she blames me for it.

A cascade of cramps all along my midsection snap me out of it. I raise my gun and tap my vest with the barrel, dully thudding against the tightly packed compartments, rustling the multi-coloured wires connecting them all.

“Give. Me. The. Key.”

She nods and is all too happy to hand it to me.

I hustle for the john and then turn at the last moment. All the other people in Taco Typhoon – my hostages, I guess (and it’s weird, because I don’t feel anxious with them looking at me, so maybe if there’s any upside to this day, it’s that I’ve overcome my fear of public speaking) – stare at me with their wide eyes and pasty faces.

“Nobody leave! Got that?”

They all murmur and nod. Something clamps down hard on my intestine.

“I mean it! I’ll know if you tried to leave!”

They all murmur and nod again, and – oh God, El Monstruosidad is almost here.

I run into the crapper and just barely get my pants down before judgment day. And then I hear a bell. Not a judgment bell, but the restaurant’s jingly door bell, and the stomping of feet and the squeak of sneakers, because all my hostages flee because of course they do. Because they run away from me just like everyone runs away from me. Just like Lorraine ran away from me.

I’m pretty sure – almost certainly completely sure – she wants nothing to do with me. And yet now, as my innards rearrange themselves and I purge my flesh of the poison of irresistible fast food, I feel a moment of clarity. Do I actually want anything to do with her?

She’s attractive, true, but that’s hardly unique. We don’t have any common interests. We don’t get along. The times we did spend together, the fun only ran skin deep. Anything more was an irritating chore. Maybe it’s not love we had. Maybe it’s convenience. Safety. A distraction from… well, all the other horrid things in life.

I thought I was saving a beautiful relationship, but I think I’m actually just trying to bring a lie to life.

And now, having realized it – in this grungy taco bathroom, on a day of terrible decisions – I am free of her.

Thanks, Rumi. Thanks, El Monstruosidad. I have definitely made some mistakes today, but these realizations are worth it.

I notice the paint on my gun is peeling. The ominous black flakes away in my steamy grip, giving way to chipper orange plastic. The gun’s as fake as my vest, as fake as me and Lorraine.

Oh, God.

They don’t know these are fake. They think I took a restaurant hostage. Well, because I did.

Oh, God.

I don’t want to die!

I call Oatley.

“I’m listening.”

“I want out! I’m surrendering! The gun is fake and the vest is fake and I’m in the john and I don’t want to die and–”

The crapper’s door flies off its hinges and SWAT storm in – somehow. My world’s a blur and a scream. Somehow my face winds up shoved against the grimy floor, the tiles cheese-grating my cheek, and my arms are wrenched somewhere far and away behind me with an exquisitely painful jerk. But, if I’m feeling all this, it means I’m alive.

I’m free!

Well, no, not actually free. I’m probably looking at quite a bit of time for the whole hostage thing.

But I am freer.

October 03, 2023 22:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

77 comments

Danie Holland
14:21 Oct 04, 2023

Honestly, this guy was so extreme and dramatic. I loved him. I found that part of him to be very relatable... to me anyway. Which... I shouldn't be admitting too. I have never fake held anyone hostage. If I have, I at least won't admit that part on here. Because I obviously got away with it and I'm too clever to get caught now. This is a thought provoking story. Thoughts like, perhaps I should ask the shrink why I find unstable characters relatable. Anywho - "all my hostages flee because of course they do. Because they run away from me j...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:47 Oct 05, 2023

Heh :) Yeah, extreme drama can be hilarious - unless it's happening to us, but even then sometimes. I think everyone has the capacity to get swept away by a moment, just thankfully, it's rarely like *this*. Glad you enjoyed it, Danie! It was certainly fun to write, and definitely-probably not autobiographical in any way :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
11:57 Oct 04, 2023

This was a lot of fun, with a great voice. The tension and humour were so complimentary, a bomb was going to go off... but maybe in his pants. Really enjoyed the questioning of enlightenment then the post shit clarity lol. A great entry, that took the prompt hostage a demanded recognition!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:35 Oct 04, 2023

Enlightenment's a tricky one :) Glad you enjoyed it, Kevin! Thanks for leaving your thoughts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:23 Oct 04, 2023

I see I shouldn't even bother racking my brain for an entry this week. This one is so obviously a winner! A prize winning disaster!🤣💩🌯🥤🪱🦺📱💣

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:44 Oct 05, 2023

Heh, thanks Mary! There's a lot of fun to be had in disasters :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
3i Writer
13:21 Oct 04, 2023

Love the irony of those final words. Just wondering what Loraine did to him that made him lose his mind and stage that kind of fiasco.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:49 Oct 05, 2023

So do I! It was probably a combination of things, based on a couple that didn't work, paired with a "it sounded like a good idea at the time" moment. Or maybe this is his midlife crisis. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
09:57 Oct 04, 2023

Well that hit the brief, and then some. Absolutely brilliant and a clever twist in the tale. Love the snake metaphor and the character arc is perfect. Well done

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:33 Oct 04, 2023

Thanks, Wendy! Glad you enjoyed it :) And the snakes too - almost went with butterflies, but this seemed more appropriately distressing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:26 Jan 18, 2024

What a read ! What I love about your stories is how unique they are. Wasn't expecting the gun to be fake. Hahahaha ! Love it !

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Jan 18, 2024

Thanks! The non-visual sensory prompt for this one really intrigued me, and I figured lots of people would go with hearing, then maybe smell, so I went looking for something different yet. It was a fun one to write :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
05:13 Dec 14, 2023

Reading the drama I was already skeptical about the narrator's worldview. When he starts talking as if arguments that make you feel physically ill are part of a normal relationship that hints that the guy is a bit out there. I guess that's normal for a lot of people but I've always avoided relationship drama like the plague. The guy just upping the stakes to the point he's pretending he has a gun shows he shouldn't be in a relationship and also that he needs professional help. Well told though.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:49 Dec 14, 2023

Yeah, he definitely had a skewed world view. I don't think he ever really introspected about anything before, which is why he wasn't sure if he was feeling indigestion or enlightenment. In the end, I guess it was both, since he realized he didn't have to be this way - of course, it was a bit too late to just walk away at that point. Thanks for reading, Graham!

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:53 Dec 14, 2023

You’re welcome Michał. It would be weird never thinking about your life that much. Hard to imagine for me. I over analyse everything.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:31 Oct 20, 2023

Hey Michal! You’ve captured the soul in the process of a person who can’t possibly think straight in the moment I know I personally can relate to this piece of so many other writers have noted because we’ve all endured situations where were so stressed that our minds simply cannot put logic into place. I also appreciated that line that you included, “it’s like she blames me for it.” Human interaction is so complex and the subtleties of what someone else is enduring right before us can never truly be understood. Extreme empathy can only go so...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:37 Oct 20, 2023

Thanks, Amanda :) Yeah, sometimes the brain definitely fails to logic. Thankfully, most of the time the fallout isn't this bad - although in the moment, it can definitely *feel* bad. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luciano Cortese
21:47 Oct 16, 2023

I love how you don’t give away everything at the start— actually you give away nothing at the start, and every new reveal leaves me reeling. Everything starts coming together slowly but surely. This is the second submission I’ve read by you, and I mean this in the most positive way possible, but you definitely have a knack for characters stuck in the middle of the hell that is modern societal monotony and who deal with that in the most out of pocket ways possible. To the point where this protagonist was giving me vibes of someone who’s comph...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:08 Oct 18, 2023

"a knack for characters stuck in the middle of the hell that is modern societal monotony and who deal with that in the most out of pocket ways possible" :) I think there's a lot of room for (ironically) interesting stories, in the boring parts of life. Particularly when we reach a breaking point. Glad you enjoyed it, Luciano - thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
10:07 Oct 13, 2023

Wow, what a character, Michal! Hilarious and neurotic to the max. The frantic inner monologue was perfect way to execute the prompt. The bit about the hostages just leaving was a hilarious element of the climax. Total incompetence 😂 Amazing work

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:39 Oct 13, 2023

Thanks, Tom! Glad to hear you enjoyed it :) I think there's a lot of fun to be had when plans go awry, especially if the plans are mediocre to begin with. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Horn
21:53 Oct 12, 2023

I LOVE this story! It was extraordinarily descriptive-who hasn't eaten at (a taco joint) and not experienced that awful gut reaction? The description of the snakes pulling up his balls and then wanting to get out was a new one for me, but I've watched my husband when it looked like that was exactly what was happening to him! Your introduction to the potential of what may happen, the "mention" of the gun was truly a surprise, and the ensuing action was appropriately tense and funny-I laughed out loud at the cashier's response to the key reque...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:42 Oct 13, 2023

Thanks, Julie! It was a fun story to write, and way back when I worked fast food, I had a couple brain-on-autopilot moments like the cashier. It usually led to some laughs :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate you leaving your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Josephine Harris
20:14 Oct 12, 2023

The wonky mind is an uncomfortable place to visit, especially if we don't know the entire back story. This guy found himself at the brink doing something really stupid and then being caught with his pants down, literally. It took this to jolt him out of the Lorraine habit. Sounds like all the reading he's been doing lodged itself in his brain and formulated this response. Love it that the gun was plastic. Good fun.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:47 Oct 13, 2023

Yeah, sometimes it seems like we need a bit of a crisis to realize something - even if it's one we manufactured ourselves. Glad you enjoyed it, Josephine - thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Humble Sparrow
20:10 Oct 12, 2023

A twist within a twist! I loved it! Funny and surprisingly moving. (no pun intended)

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Oct 13, 2023

Ha! Glad you enjoyed it :) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Allen
17:15 Oct 12, 2023

Loved this story Michał. Definitely didn't see it going in that direction when I started reading... You gave your protagonist a really distinctive voice and your descriptions of his internal thought processes are brilliant. The little trail of breadcrumbs you laid that eventually led us to his final change of heart were also really nice.

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:10 Oct 13, 2023

Thanks, Daniel, glad you liked it! It was fun to write, even if the premise was ridiculous. Or maybe, *because* it was ridiculous :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessie Laverton
15:43 Oct 12, 2023

This is really graphic. You almost feel everything happening in your own body as you read it. And the mounting despair really grips you. And his frail optimism at the end, brilliant!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:32 Oct 12, 2023

Thanks, Jessie! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I think on some level it was an awakening for him, even if it comes at a severe social/legal cost. It often seems like we do our best growth when we're at our lowest. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Farnaz Calafi
21:25 Oct 11, 2023

This piece sounds as dramatic as the news today! I, perhaps like many here, love stories about mundane things that end up having more meaning and twists than they appear to have.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Oct 12, 2023

Thanks, Farnaz! Yeah, there's something neat about what appears to be mundane on the surface, actually being deeper and bigger than it first seems. There's lots of room for stories to play around with that, and even minor events can take on significant meaning, because they might be connected to major events in the past. I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Udith Sagar
20:35 Oct 11, 2023

Intriguing narration and an interesting character! It was a really enjoyable read, and strangely, it seemed like even the MC was having a blast. I'm sure you had a lot of fun writing this, Michael!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:46 Oct 12, 2023

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it :) You know, I think he got something out of it, so it's probably one of those days he'll look back fondly on in the future. Less so the jail time, but so it goes :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
19:02 Oct 11, 2023

You do such a great job of feeding us information little by little, so the suspense just builds and builds. I couldn't stop reading.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:48 Oct 12, 2023

Thanks, Kathryn! I've been making a conscious effort to improve my suspense-building, so I'm glad to hear that. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rachelle Lemay
14:54 Oct 10, 2023

You are quite a storyteller...very engaging read from start to finish...lots of laughs and some serious realizations. Thanks for the read.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:36 Oct 11, 2023

Thanks, Rachelle! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
04:51 Oct 10, 2023

Brilliantly described, with great pacing. If I start reading a story that 'I just don't get', I will often abandon it. This was a great example of 'what the hell is going here - if I don't keep reading, I'll never know. I truly cringed and died when the SWAT team broke in - despite the fact that he was the 'baddy'. Loved it.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:37 Oct 11, 2023

Thanks, Stevie! Very glad to hear that! I like "less reputable" characters, so if there's still a spark of empathy, I'll count that as a win. Of course, no question, he shot himself in the foot here :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.