Contest #129 winner 🏆

At the Whitemare

Submitted into Contest #129 in response to: Set your story in a snowed-in chalet.... view prompt

58 comments

Contemporary Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

It was unclear whether I was supposed to continue my work. The guests sometimes left used dishes out on tables, and sometimes did the chore themselves, chatting with one another. Few things more grounding than housework, one said.


The first night of the blizzard, the storm of the decade the radio broadcasts and cable news networks called it, some staff sneaked to the least used balcony to smoke a joint. We huddled in a shaft some of the others had dug out, up to our necks in smoke and steam.


In the evenings, a few of the guests watched films in the home theatre, at intervals turning their attention away to discuss anecdotes of the actors’ lives and the social or political relevance of the themes. Others gathered in the den, shuffling between the wet bar and the lounging furniture. I would do a sweep, one or two a night, and the guests’ countenance spoke of an uncertainty apparently not unlike mine. Don’t bother yourself, one said, clearly betraying sincerity as he did so. Anyway, there was no real inlet in the various social scenes for me or any of the staff to meaningfully join.


I had come to Stowe, to Whitemare because I needed a job. I’d come to Vermont because, in my mind, it was the closest I could get to being somewhere while being nowhere, in a way. The catalyst for my decision to come to this place was a story, an overhearing that I, in time, integrated into my own set of possible choices. It happens more often than we’d perhaps like to think, more or less enacting the stories we pick up on our move through the world.


The Whitemare Mountain Lodge was a luxury accommodation less than a mile from the slopes, a fabulously expensive architecture of minimalist rustic design. I had the feeling that the new-old place would survive the worst catastrophes, for decades to come, in fact. If catastrophe struck - flood, wind, landslide - the Whitemare would stand. We were one of the very few around that didn’t end up requiring generators to keep the lights on.


On the fourth night, Dale died. He was found wilted over one of the beds, where he’d been making various phone calls. The staff knew he’d been dealing with late-stage congestive heart failure. A veteran staff, a woman around his age, sixty-ish, suspected his fate before we found him. She’d been the one to remind him to keep up with his medicines. He’s the only one here who knows how the generators work? A panicked guest asked.


Me and the rest of the staff made the decision to carry him to the hot tub room with the facts of chemistry in mind; the room went unused and remained cold unless the vents to the house’s main interior were opened. Several of the guests opposed this, worried that it would bring suspicion and lengthier procedure on us all. We laid a spare bedsheet over his body. The praying staff prayed at his side. Early on, Dale had told us, in the event of his death on shift, with a shade of humor: don’t worry, I won’t shit all over myself and make you clean it up. He’d been right, posthumously and, though I didn’t know him very well, found myself wishing I could answer to his joke.


I didn’t sleep that night, or the next. The staff had taken up bunkering in the little row of gabled guest rooms. For pleasure, we smoked weed, blowing the smoke into tissue-stuffed toilet paper rolls like teenagers hiding from parents, and bullshitted, exchanged unlikely stories, the best kind in such situations. One of the staff, a guy, probably a few years younger than me, boldly stole a bottle of vodka from the wet bar. In a moment of privacy, he offered me various amphetamine capsules he’d discovered in one of the guest bathrooms. After taking a couple, we had sex.


Michael and I spent the first hours of dawn talking on the smoking balcony. He’d moved away from active duty in the Air Force to get his license as a commercial pilot. You don’t seem military, I had said. He asked what that meant. I guess I don’t know, I’d said, because you smoke pot and listen to Radiohead. And, he’d said, I’m a communist. With a finger, he drew a circle in a wall of snow and called it capitalism, and everything outside the circle wasn’t, or wasn’t exactly. Inside the circle was work, travel, higher education, cultural institutions, financing unaffordable things, the internet, and so on. Outside was dying, suiciding, murder, sex and reproduction, taking or dealing drugs, theft from places of business, madness, public parks, and socializing. Whitemare in a nutshell, I thought.


He talked about how massive theft, a culture of theft, really, he’d said, was now the last method for meaningfully confronting capitalists. In Russia, he’d said with a tone of apology, which amused me a little, endearingly, because it had been only a few years ago that I had similarly felt so actively a part of the world. I don’t remember what he’d said about Russia, some undeveloped figuring of what went wrong then and what could be done differently now.


At one point I told him he looked like a commercial airline pilot, and he said it wasn’t the first time he’d been told that: male, white, tall-ish, plain features, except for the tattoos maybe. I didn’t feel dumb for my uninventive observations – I floundered, with nihilistic indifference to connection, trying to preserve a boundary – but for feeling that, because he was a single veteran, and I really liked him, I would probably mourn his leaving in some silly way. 


----


The next morning, a nice thought struck me. In spite of the previous five days, I hadn’t been met with any seriously troubled thoughts or emotions, save for those outside of my control, the fact of Dale’s death. Being stuck in the Whitemare hadn’t bothered me; it was a fact of nature, and one I knew would pass. The recent gutter for me had been an attempted suicide, the reverberations of which had dragged on over two weeks in a psychiatric ward.


There, I fell in with a man, in his seventies about, a ceramics artist of some renown from a small town forty miles from my home city. I savored his articulations of his life outside the hospital, where he lived in an old farmhouse and passed his days between the garden and the studio. He was English, which added to a mystique I was a little taken by. I’d never met an Englishman before, and it was estranging to wonder why he’d chosen to live in rural Illinois, so cut off. 


We spent afternoons doing jigsaw puzzles and playing chess in the common area, the latter game he’d taught me from scratch. I reminded him of his late wife, a housewife, he’d said, with the brain of an engineer that made light of so effortlessly giving him trouble. I recoiled at the comment, feeling a little self-conscious. That young man over there, the old man pointed, said, what do you make of him?


A teenager covered in homespun tattoos up to his ears, he walked determinedly back and forth in a straight line, a span of ten feet. He appeared completely dissociated, but that morning I had waved and said hello in passing, and he’d stopped still and returned the address, then resumed his routine.


We were, in that moment and with regularity besides, interrupted by a middle-aged man, schizophrenic, who told us in detail his plans to move to Vermont to start a ski touring business in the town in which his adopted parents frequented winters. He left abruptly, telling us he was readying to meet with an investor and did we want to invest, too.


I told the old man that I thought the tattooed boy was probably generally kind. Do you think him harmful to himself or others? Yes, I said, insomuch as the general conditions of life pose dangers either way. The explanation made me feel as if I hadn’t said anything at all; all inane. The old man leapt into a monologue about the history of madness, how only in the last century did madness come to be treated as maladaptation.


I could’ve clung to the old man’s shirt sleeve, asking for a job, unpaid even, any job, assisting him at his country estate. I’d thought about it. But I felt I would be bothering him or encroaching somehow on the life he’d made.


----


I realized I was pregnant the day the snow melted enough. The big storm had been a month before; little fits of blizzard came and went.


Are you insane? Guests and staff took turns asking me variations of this question, and, you could seriously die out there! Except I’d realized several things, and needed to leave promptly. It was an old habit, feeling nosed into an impasse then fleeing.


I had been pregnant once before. Married, too. Married up, married well, my mother teased in the early days, but I hadn’t married him for those reasons. I was young, twenty, an English literature undergrad, content in love and possibility. Neither of us foresaw in any meaningful way that the fun, the novelty, and the somehow enlivening stress of my graduate-level fiancée was temporary.


He got the job he’d wanted since high school, an engineer at a big tech company out west. For me, time folded. I found even less time to continue university courses, and he admitted that he had always thought the humanities were hopeless anyway, especially for someone from a poor background, and would I have liked to join a book club instead. I fell into a depression so mired that, while I felt free in an obviously limited way, I became unanswerable to his demands for a streamlined lifestyle, my ultimate purpose in the relationship, it turned out. He began hitting me, a slap or hair pulling in anger, a damned cliché that I found intensely disappointing, above all. I wanted a baby, the baby, to give my mind and attention to. He threatened to leave if the baby came. For several months, we performed normalcy, subtly vying for our own interests, should the relationship be salvageable. One evening, I drove to a nature preserve, one I savored in frequenting, and planned to die in the Illinois winter.


So in the airless frigid morning, I left Whitemare. The snow had melted enough to walk to town. Enough for me anyway; just above the knee. It was necessary to walk through two or so miles of forest, where I was pleased to discover I could ford the boulder-studded river. I didn’t mind the numbness all over, or the brief lostness among the trees, all alike in their bareness. All sensations are -nesses; I tried to instead think of what was real and on the other side. For one, my bed.


I had an apartment, shared with a roommate, the rare shithole in town. The place was in astonishingly high demand; one missed rent payment and we’d be wiped from the slate in a blink. My roommate padded to the door and, breathlessly, inquired whether I was okay. She didn’t know where I‘d been, or that I worked housekeeping at Whitemare. My brother works there, she had said. The father of the embryo growing inside me, I realized during her articulation of him. She asked what we all did to stay sane, to make the best of the storm. Attempting humor, I said, simply: drugs and booze. I withheld the sex part and made a mental note to deal with the why later.


We sat on opposite ends of the couch, curled up watching Anthony Bourdain re-runs, making indirect proposals to share a cooked meal every now and then. Then, a gardening special on the BBC wherein the mentally ill were prescribed gardening as therapy. I wondered if my current arrangement, being in that faraway town, at that crap job – my god, intending to remain pregnant – was therapy self-imposed. If so, things were worse than I’d thought. Where did I stand? What was I denying myself?


The day of Dale’s funeral, I learned that Michael – that was his name, had left the day before to Burlington to join a band with an old high school friend. An exercise in freedom, possibility perhaps, before starting flight school. I took a shuttle that day and found a small café with a window overlooking the women’s reproductive health clinic, feeling bereft of my decision-making faculties but feeling good about having come that far.


On the street, an old woman in stained rags for winter garments ran in and out of view, shouting at passersby. She covered her ears as she shouted in machine gun repetition TORTURER to no one in particular. I became self-conscious when I realized I was the only person in view observing her. People kept their eyes elsewhere, parted around her in eddies. I mourned that shape, that diagram of alienation, which I felt laid bare in such starkness the paradox of loneliness. Police and EMTs escorted the woman, who went willingly into an ambulance, and the street resumed its rhythm.


My mobile phone rang. Michael said his sister told him I was in town, and did I want to get together like, now? Yes, I said. But there’s something I want to tell you. While I waited in the café for him, I did a thing people do but rarely say they do, lest they seem irrational or naive, or maybe that was my own false prejudice, hardened in the threads of cynicism I clung to, lest I be rendered irrational or naive: I imagined our lives together, one year from now, five, twenty. 


January 22, 2022 01:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

58 comments

Michael Danyluk
23:47 Jan 28, 2022

It's too descriptive, split infinitives are off, it's wordy too...I don't get how this won

Reply

Shelley Blevins
00:50 Jan 30, 2022

I agree. I got lost in the story. At first, I thought she got pregnant at the facility she was at because she tried to kill herself. Very confusing and jumped around too much. I don't understand how this is a winner either.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Winston
06:04 Jan 29, 2022

@Michael Danyluk - me either. I couldn't stay stuck to read, had to force myself through, unlike so many other submissions to this topic, which I couldn't stop reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Hannah Barrett
20:17 Jan 28, 2022

There's some really great stuff in here, Erica, and I absolutely love your voice throughout. This line right here - "The catalyst for my decision to come to this place was a story, an overhearing that I, in time, integrated into my own set of possible choices" - wow! And regarding the tattooed boy - "Yes, I said, insomuch as the general conditions of life pose dangers either way." Finally, "All sensations are -nesses; I tried to instead think of what was real and on the other side." Love all of these. My only critique relates to timelines, ...

Reply

Erica Vogel
23:16 Jan 29, 2022

I'm so glad the story resonated with you, Hannah! It's funny, the "catalyst" sentence was the one I felt most vulnerable leaving in there. I don't know why, because I think that's a real thing -- dead center of the free will/determinism question; all of the sentences you highlighted are ideas that I think are true for people but defy traditional categorization or how we might think things ought to be. Anyway, yes, I'm aware certain, erm, important circumstances were a mess! Now I think it would've been cool to lean into the storm as a sort...

Reply

Hannah Barrett
00:28 Jan 30, 2022

In the immortal words of Doc Hudson, "you got a lot of stuff, kid." All the pieces are definitely there, and I can't wait to see what you write next. And do not - DO NOT - let the haters get you down!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Razz
00:59 Jan 31, 2022

God bless your sweet, loving spirit!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Razz
00:59 Jan 31, 2022

God bless your sweet, loving spirit!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
07:23 Jan 30, 2022

The prose was beautiful, but I, like others, had a hard time following the jumps. Is there a longer version of this? Maybe that would answer some questions.

Reply

Hannah Barrett
14:50 Jan 30, 2022

I'd like a longer version of this too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Erica Vogel
02:26 Feb 01, 2022

There's no longer version, but I've entertained the idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks for your comment & critique, Jaden!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Shelley Blevins
00:52 Jan 30, 2022

While I liked the story line, I just didn't understand the need to jump around so much and some of the wording was so vague and didn't keep in line with the story, it was easy to get confused. Otherwise, it was interesting.

Reply

Erica Vogel
02:25 Feb 01, 2022

Hey thanks for the comment, Shelly. I guess what I was trying to do was to make the plot *really* serve the themes, I suppose at the expense of a coherent plot; I appreciate your critique!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:24 Jan 28, 2022

Congratulations on winning! I love your style of writing! Your narrator had some major struggles, but I was so happy to see that you ended the story with a sense of hope for good things to come.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nina Thompson
02:05 Feb 09, 2022

After reading some other comments on this story, I really don't understand why people are being so critical. I really enjoyed the story, and found that the vague language, time jumps, and scattered scenes worked to its benefit. It painted itself in my mind as a very cluttered, blurry time in the narrator's life. It's not nearly as confusing as people say. Lots of people on here judge based on literary rules and how they were taught to write. It's much better to have personal style and creativity than boring generic stuff. Congratulations on ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Msrk Sanchez
04:46 Feb 04, 2022

Firstly well done for putting your story out there , whilst it is fiction it seems their needs a bit of structure in your story lines and maybe more content to certain parts of the story , their is so many potential outcomes as a lot is going on i think if one can stay with certain parts of it and clarify some assumptions although it`s great to leave one guessing it is also good to leave one with a confirmation that yeh maybe they that assumption was right but it really doesn`t give you a chance to get into depth as it flies into another rea...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jamie Gregory
01:45 Feb 02, 2022

Congrats on the win! You definitely have a unique style/voice. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wilma Segeren
12:54 Jan 31, 2022

Hi Erica, I read your story twice. The first time I read it too quickly and found it confusing in places but then I read it slowly a second time and I had a totally different reaction. I found the description profound and I loved the long sentence structure and the story became more real. The ending was also well crafted as it lent the possibility of both optimism or pessimism depending on the readers thoughts. Kudos ! Great stuff. Keep them coming ! Oh, and congrats !

Reply

Erica Vogel
02:45 Feb 01, 2022

Hey thanks Wilma, you're so kind! It's funny you mention how it took another read to feel you really got it -- these have always been among my favorite things to read (though I know they're not everyone's favorite!) Like many writers I think, I struggle a lot with endings; I'm glad it landed. I appreciate your thoughts! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:45 Jan 31, 2022

Great voice to this story, brilliant prose. I was fascinated all the way through. My thoughts: -Maybe a few too many personal emotional threads pulling in different direction toward the ending, ceramics artist, ex-husband, abuse, etc maybe one of these could have been taken out. But observations of things occuring outside the protagonist, like the schizophrenic woman in the street, were really interesting to read, to think about how the protagonist empathizes with her, and added interest without burdening the main thread. - Whitemare - was...

Reply

Erica Vogel
02:41 Feb 01, 2022

Hey Scott, I questioned those exact things along the way, the rather large cast and lack of obvious plot. It ended up being kind of experimental - where the themes really overwhelm the plot. Whitemare is a luxury ski lodging. If I were to re-write this, I'd better explain that the protagonist was a full-time housekeeper. I was a housekeeper (the kind who went house to house) in my early college years, so I guess to me the imposed duty to stay on the job was more prescient. I did explain in another comment how I kind of bungled the circums...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:06 Jan 28, 2022

This is very nice. Emotionally affecting in a subtle way, and it feels quite real.

Reply

Erica Vogel
23:21 Jan 29, 2022

Thank you, Eleanor! That's my pathetic awe at Dostoevsky at work, trying (really) hard to embody characters in their experiences.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Xylianna Clay
19:09 Jan 28, 2022

Congratulations! This is a very sweet story, I hope they end up happy together. Your writing is so immersive, and I love the world you've woven around this character. I feel like I just met her and she told me her life story.

Reply

Erica Vogel
02:52 Feb 01, 2022

Hi Xylianna, I'm glad the story resonated with you! I think every writer hopes for stories to connect with readers, it's another thing to hear when it has! Thanks for the kind words! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:24 Jan 28, 2022

Beautiful piece, Congratulations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zelda C. Thorne
17:08 Jan 28, 2022

Hello! Congratulations! I think your style is quite distinctive with a strong voice, as if I was sitting next to her as she told me her story. Lots of rich details that grounded me in this woman's world. Well done! I hope you write more stories for us 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Atenaga Monday
19:41 Apr 12, 2022

Good day, am a writer my finest book or should I say my greatest writing can't be published yet cause of lack of funds please I humbly solicit for your help in raising some funds, my plan is to help every kid in Africa able to access books even without payment please do this help humanity and make the world a better place; my email: mdatenaga@gmail.com, my WhatsApp number: https://wa.me/message/HOFB7PTVGI3TF1 I will be glad to have partners all over the world to join me, God bless God speed. You can also write and ask for my Novel I will be...

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:48 Mar 31, 2022

I liked the way and the words you used to describe the story, the way you wrote made me to pay more attention than in an usual story, but I agree with other comments that its really easy to get lost with the reading, but in general it was entertaining and interesting, its a good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sharon Hancock
02:27 Mar 07, 2022

The first thing I thought of was The Shining by Stephen King, but you took the story in a different direction 🤣and it was very nice. It seemed like a “train of thought” type story which is, in my opinion, a very real and personal way to tell a story. It sounds kind of fun to be snowed in a luxury ski resort😻. Thanks for sharing your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Myo Gyi
05:12 Mar 04, 2022

90ponnts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Frank Lester
01:31 Feb 22, 2022

An excellent story. A difficult topic. A sad situation. Hopelessness, I felt every twinge. Well done and very touching. Thanks for sharing it. Stay well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Carmen Perez
01:01 Feb 17, 2022

Your writing is brilliant. You're probably a genius, which will make it difficult for many to follow you. Keep it coming.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.