Take Me To Your Leader

Submitted into Contest #244 in response to: Begin or end your story with a character taking a selfie.... view prompt

9 comments

Fantasy Funny

"We need beautiful art around here," Gladise said with a chuckle.

Lady Nimmo sat in the corner of the "art" room, sewing a new dress. She laughed at her mother, who was painting a self-portrait from a mirror's reflection leaning against a wall.

"And you're making sure we do?" Lady Nimmo said.

"Naturally."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're conceited."

Gladise peeked around her canvas, staring at her reflection, playfully ignoring her daughter's jibe. She returned to her canvas and skillfully added strokes. It was Gladise's way of using humor to approach a more serious topic—and she had a serious one to approach.

"You know, we've been here for over an hour, and you still haven't told me," Gladise said without pausing her painting.

Lady Nimmo looked at her mom with surprise. "I don't know why I'm surprised," Lady Nimmo shook her head. "Who was it? Oakaford? Flimlet?"

"No, Oakaford kept pretending to be a tree every time I inquired, and Flimlet… Well, you know Flimlet." They both chuckled. "No, I heard it from Zartan. And the funny thing is he told me to tell you it was him. Although he wouldn't tell me why. Is there some joke between you guys?"

"He said if I didn't tell you, he would, though I must admit I didn't believe him."

"So, why the secrecy, Darling?"

Lady Nimmo put down her sewing. She wasn't exactly sure why she was being so weird about it. When she was informed by the village council that they wanted to build a town hall with quarters for her and her family, she was stunned. When she asked why, they alluded that a noble title needs a noble home. Those cryptic words circled in her mind. She knew the title of Lady wasn't considered a noble title, more like a title of respect. What did the council mean? Jorton was growing and needed a leader and building for government, but she assumed one of the former King's Guards would become mayor. She never desired to rule, but her magic ability thrust her into the spotlight, and she didn't know how to respond.

"I'm uncomfortable with leadership," Lady Nimmo said as she laid aside her half-finished dress. "I'm an artist, not a leader."

Gladise put her brush down and turned to Lady Nimmo. "I've watched you over the years since we were invited by the Spirit of Trungen to build a village in her forest. You've been a very responsible leader with your stumpers. You dealt with Lord Balister brilliantly, oversaw the building of Jorton twice, saved us from the wildfire, and fostered goodwill between us and Selwyn. Only a leader could have done all that."

"It's sweet of you to say."

"Now, enough of that!"

"What? What did I say?" Lady Nimmo put on her best "clueless" face she could muster.

"You know! 'It's sweet of you to say.'" Gladise said in a mocking, high-pitched, sing-song way. "I'll give you sweet! You listen here! You are a leader -- and a good one at that. Now, don't let that go to your head. The last thing I need is a girl with a big head. However, I don't want an unconfident one either. Do you hear me?"

Lady Nimmo raised her arms in surrender, "You win," she laughed. "I'm a great leader with a tiny, confident head."

They both laughed out loud. They laughed so hard that Gladise had to stop before an embarrassing accident occurred.

"Seriously, Nimmo. You'll see the truth one day." Gladise ended the conversation and resumed painting her selfie.

Later that week, several stumpers spied soldiers with Lord Balister's crest, carrying his shield colors, marching through Trungen Forest. Lady Nimmo called the council and citizens to assemble at the amphitheater.

"I've asked you all here to inform you that Lord Balister's men have been seen in Trungen Forest," Lady Nimmo said.

Cries of outrage and questions about the soldiers' intentions were shouted out simultaneously. So much so that no one could understand what was being said. In the chaotic cacophony of frightened and angry people, Lady Nimmo froze. She looked around to Oakaford and Flimlet, who were on the stage with her, but when she made eye contact, she could see they were looking at her for orders. Her father and mother were preparing for battle and were nowhere to be found.

She closed her eyes and imagined being in a peaceful forest. The noise faded, and birds chirping, flying from limb to limb, filled her mind. The Spirit of Trungen's words came back to her: "I'm putting you in charge of Trungen. I've decided you shall be the Lady of the Woods."

"But why me?"

"The magic that flows through you when you carve is just the tip of the tree. Your gifts go much further, rooted deep into the world. I've seen your potential. You are linked with Trungen in a way I've never seen of anyone besides myself."

"I don't see how that's possible. I'm a nobody."

"Words have power. Be careful what you say of yourself. You are now the Lady of the Woods – leader and protector of Trungen. Because of you, men will dwell in Trungen Forest for the first time since creation. I've seen this – it will be so."

The memories of the spirit's words echoed in her mind as the forest and birds dissipated into shouts and cries. She opened her eyes with determination.

"Flimlet, could you get their attention, please?" Flimlet shouted for order and for everyone to sit down with such a commanding voice that the mass of men, dwarfs, and stumpers obeyed.

"Thank you, Flimlet." She looked at the scared and confused faces and calmly said, "I've already instructed Oakaford to assemble the Stumper Guard. They will position themselves around Jorton and report to me if the soldiers get closer."

Nods of approval filled the amphitheater.

"They may have some other reason for being in Trungen beside us, but we are taking nothing for granted. My father and volunteers, once part of the King's Guard, are suiting up as we speak. I'm asking for more volunteers to join them." She paused to give men time to raise their hands. A few popped up, followed by many more. "Thank you, gentlemen. We might not have much time, so please head to the armory." The volunteers left, leaving primarily women and children behind.

"If anyone can shoot a bow, I ask you to join me onstage. The rest, please stay in your houses and grab anything that could be used as a weapon. Only fight if you have no other choice."

The crowd dispersed to their assigned duties, no longer confused but focused.

Lady Nimmo and her amateur archers assembled in the center of the village along with dozens of stumpers. "We will remain here until we know the direction of attack. If we must engage, the stumpers will form a protective wall for us to shoot behind. Do not move in front of the stumpers. They can't be hurt by arrows."

The entire village remained on high alert. The sun moved from noon to late evening with no attack. Oakaford and a few of his quickest stumpers went to scout the enemy. After an hour, they returned with good news. Lord Balister sent loggers into Trungen and only deployed his soldiers for protection. It appears they were not sent to attack Jorton.

Lady Nimmo called for another town meeting. "Our scouts reported the invaders are only here for our trees."

Murmurs of outrage at the audacity of Lord Balister could be heard throughout the assembly.

"I know. If you're thinking what I'm thinking. This is a bold crime, stealing our trees, but for now, I'm grateful that's all they're doing. We can deal with this less aggressive offense some other time." The citizens of Jorton agreed. "Now, I like to take this meeting in a different direction. The village council has asked for the floor. I believe this is a good time to hear what they say in light of what almost happened. So, would the council please take the stage." Lady Nimmo stepped down, and five men stepped up.

Still wearing chainmail, Zartan said, "I've been elected speaker for our council." He peeked at his notes, but he was holding them too far and was forced to bring them closer. The crowd cringed a little for the former King's Guard. It was obvious he was uncomfortable speaking in public. "The first thing I'd like to say is I'm sorry for the council's lack of judgment on selecting a good speaker." The crowd gave a half-suppressed laugh. He cleared his throat, "We all know how important Lady Nimmo is to us. I mean, if it weren't for her, there wouldn't be a Jorton to call home." Many in the assembly shouted, "Hear! Hear!"

This encouraged the nervous speaker, and he became more at ease. "I'm a man of action, so let me get right to the point. The council agrees unanimously that we appoint Lady Nimmo as Duchess of Jorton." The citizens of Jorton applauded and cried out, "Lady Nimmo!" and "Duchess of Jorton!"

It took Zartan a little time to settle everyone down. He had more to say. "We also agreed to begin constructing a new town hall, complete with turrets and battlements, including spacious living quarters for Duchess Nimmo and her family." Now, the crowd went crazy. A town hall was a prestigious symbol, and it was ingenious to add fortifications to it. Jorton would never be seen as a rag-tag village again. Zartan concluded his speech by declaring that a day of feasting would begin at sunrise the next morning.

That night, Lady Nimmo and her mom walked along the road between the amphitheater and their house several times in deep conversation. More than once, Lady Nimmo heard different versions of see-I-told-you-so come from her mom. Lady Nimmo only smiled. The truth is, her mom was correct. A leader was hiding inside of her, and perversely, Lord Balister helped her find it.

On their final lap, Lady Nimmo said, "I tell you what. I'll not be called Duchess Nimmo."

"Why? It's a title of honor," Gladise said.

"I understand, but in my book, there is no greater honor than to be Lady Nimmo, the Lady of the Woods."

April 05, 2024 03:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Darvico Ulmeli
06:31 Apr 11, 2024

Hear, hear!! Enjoyed the story. I can see a great novel here.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:07 Apr 12, 2024

Thank you for saying so. I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind, but I have much to learn about writing before tackling such a monumental project.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
02:25 Apr 09, 2024

I was curious to see what you’d do with the prompt, I love the way you answered it! It was also cool to read about Lady Nimmo’s mother. Is that the first time she’s been mentioned? I’d be interested to read more about her and their family, it seems like both of Lady Nimmo’s parents are very important to her.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
20:53 Apr 09, 2024

This is the first time we see Gladise. Earlier episodes mention that Lady Nimmo has parents, but only her father has played a part until now. I’m still learning who her parents are myself, but they must be interesting to produce a Lady Nimmo 😀👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heather Rogers
02:00 Apr 06, 2024

I really like Gladise. She’s witty and smart! You must have modeled her after someone you know. 😘

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:10 Apr 06, 2024

I never reveal my muses.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
01:48 Apr 06, 2024

The village of Jorton is getting too big for its britches and needs a strong leader. Does Lady Nimmo have what it takes? Or will a man have to take charge?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
05:02 Apr 05, 2024

The Lady leads. Artistic touch with painting the selfie. BC = before cameras..

Reply

Daniel Rogers
13:54 Apr 05, 2024

Thank you. I was determined to stick with my happy place - Wanowyn. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.