0 comments

Fantasy Mystery Adventure

An experience would soon change a life forever, for the better. 

Without thinking, Sara stepped into the elevator to return to work. She had a lot to get done that afternoon and was glad she’d had a substantial lunch of egg salad, celery stick with peanut butter, a radish thinly sliced on buttered bread, and a chunk of watermelon for dessert. That would tide her over until the evening, she hoped. Going home for lunch on Thursday was a ritual of sorts that Sara treated herself to every week. She would prepare the meal in the morning, so she had most of the hour to relax and enjoy it. Since she worked two blocks away from her apartment, she was able to save money, time, and eat exactly what she felt like having. It also gave her something to look forward to since at the beginning of the week she put a few containers in the fridge at work to have during lunch hour (really 45 minutes - no one took a whole hour for lunch). Monday was a salad, Tuesday - peach yogurt, Wednesday - chicken soup with a slice of bread and butter. Thursday would be her treat day with lunch at home, and then the next day would be a salad at the discounted cafeteria in the building where she worked, then it would be the weekend. A smile crossed her lips when she thought of that.  

         Nothing out of the ordinary about the day until… the elevator stopped, between floors. No lights, no power, nothing. 

“Oh no! It can’t be stuck,” Sara said aloud to the four walls that surrounded her. “I have too much to get done!” She also had an intense fear of the dark so was extremely glad she had the presence of mind to reach into her handbag and feel around for the powerful flashlight she always carried for just such an emergency. Now she could see the buttons for the floors, emergency, etc.

Pressing the emergency alarm turned out to be an exercise in futility - there was no sound. Could it be a silent alarm she thought? Doubtful. At least she had already eaten lunch so she wouldn’t go hungry for a while. She had a fresh thermos of tea so she wouldn’t go thirsty either. Only one problem remained - how to get out. As the minutes ticked by, she felt more and more tense. The last thing she needed now was a panic attack. She thought to herself – what if the batteries go dead? Sara told herself to breathe. She began to bang on the walls with her handbag - maybe someone would hear her? No. As she tried to calm down, she saw a strange thing; an energy wave of sorts in front of her. Puzzled, she looked at the reflection in front of her; except, it was not her reflection. It was a much younger Sara. How could this be? She was watching images of her younger self. Slowly, she realized she was being given a unique gift. Sara had the opportunity to reflect on her life and the choices she had made that influenced it.

         The younger Sara first appeared sitting in the sun surrounded by kittens. Such shiny hair and she had a glow to her; this was a happy child. Sara remembered. A tear emerged; a lament for lost childhood she guessed. More images - first visit to a library, first train ride, holiday on the beach where she was seen collecting shells… each time the child experienced wonder, not fear. Sara understood. Before the last image faded the child held out a stone to Sara. There was one thing written on the stone - TRUST. An aha moment - she must continue to trust that the universe would take care of her. All well and good, but first it could get her out of here Sara thought, and laughed a nervous laugh. She made a quarter turn to the right, shone the flashlight at the wall, and looked at the next reflection.

         A mirror image of how she looked now - ah, present day. The images surprised her though - each scene made her feel uncomfortable. The first one was when she got mugged. The Sara in the elevator felt the intense fear as if it were happening to her again. Another scene was when she loaned her original poems to a friend and he lost them. Devastated, she vowed she would never write again. Time after time it was disappointment and sadness. Sara was surprised; she didn’t think she was a bitter person. As it was about to fade, the image held up a stone for Sara to see. This stone too had one word - FORGIVE. Oh, now she understood. She would do her level best, she promised. She realized she still had not forgiven the mugger or the person who lost all her original poems and decided to try. She made another quarter turn, shining the flashlight on the back wall.

         A much older Sara, retired from her job, surrounded by books, was writing in a journal. The real Sara sensed that there was something missing - a dream that had not yet been fulfilled perhaps, or an experience yet to be had. The older Sara seemed happy enough but not whole. She saw a retirement party with people planning future get-togethers that didn’t happen and scenes of beloved pets passing, holidays alone, and single place settings at the dinner table. Elevator Sara knew that life brought many ups and downs but there was still a glimmer of hope while she still lived. That was it! Just like the younger self and current self, the future had a written gift for Sara as well. The word on the stone was - HOPE. Okay, she had experienced past, present, and future selves - what could the fourth wall (to her left) show, if anything? Slightly nervous to look but curious, she made another quarter turn and once more shone the flashlight.

         The first image was a beach. She could hear the ocean and almost smell the salt air, it felt so real. Next, she saw an older but incredibly happy person who was watching a tiny turtle try to make its way to the water. The figure held a leaf over the creature so no predator would see it and helped the little one to achieve its goal - it swam away as soon as it got to the water’s edge. The older Sara smiled. Another image showed people waving at her. They were grateful recipients of a meal Sara had placed on her outside table for anyone in need. Elevator Sara was fascinated. The difference in the two personas (future and alternate) was astonishing. The alternate Sara was pleased with how life had turned out - she had accomplished a lot and helped a lot of people and animals. She’d also made a difference to the environment by picking up litter and campaigning for clean water. Just like the other images, the alternate Sara held up a stone. Elevator Sara read the two words that were etched on it - BE THANKFUL.

         As soon as she read the words a wondrous thing happened. The images faded, the lights came on, the elevator started up again and a very relieved Sara at long last saw the outside world. She was late back to work, but her boss accepted her explanation without penalty, adding that a similar thing had happened to her when she was Sara’s age and, unlike Sara, she did not have a flashlight. What a huge relief - Sara was convinced she would be fired. Then and there she whispered the words that would make a real difference in her life - “thank you”. The wheels of destiny turned in a positive direction.

September 08, 2020 21:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.