Red, Blue, White

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write a story about someone who's haunted by their past.... view prompt

247 comments

General

To Bella,

 

Red was the colour of your favourite flower, roses. The first flower that I bought for a girl. The flower that you always liked to receive, regardless of the situation.

 

Blue was the colour of your skirt, your junior high school uniform. The one you wore when we first met at the entrance test for the high school that we attended.

 

White reminded me of the packaging of your favourite soft drink. The fizzy drink that tasted weird, the beverage that I hated. The only thing that we couldn’t seem to agree on.

 

Yet it all changed after that car accident under the orange-coloured sky.

 

Red became a strong and lasting imagery in my mind. 

 

It reminded me of the blood, as it gushed out from the back of your head as you gradually closed your eyes. The colour of the warm liquid that painted your cold body, the colour that got transferred to mine as I hugged you for the last time. 

 

It kept me awake at night, as guilt filled my heart. The feeling that grew bigger as I saw the pained expression on your father’s face, who was calming down your crying mother as they arrived at the bloody scene. 

 

The guilt that stayed within me, regardless of how many times I bowed down and apologized to your parents. 

 

The feeling that I still get every time I visit your parents, up until now.

 

It made me think of the accident. The exact memory inside my mind that relived again and again, as if it was a video with a replay button. 

 

The conversation that we were having.

 

The speed of the car before we hit the railing.

 

The loud thud as the airbag popped.

 

The few seconds when we floated.

 

The moment our car descended the rocky cliff. 

 

The memory that I wished to forget, the memory that scarred me for life.

 

Blue became this ambiguous connection between the two of us.

 

It was the colour of the car that I drove that day. The automatic sedan that I brought for the sake of showing-off, unfortunately, became the car that brought an end to your life. 

 

It became the epitome of regret. 

 

The feelings that raised questions inside my head.

 

What if I had never driven the car? Maybe you would feel disappointed that I couldn’t bring you to the observatory as promised, but you would still be by my side. 

 

What if I had never asked you out? Maybe my high school memories wouldn’t be full of happiness, but you would still be alive and well.

 

What if I had never fallen in love with you? Maybe this wouldn’t happen and both of us would never have to suffer the way we are now. 

 

The same set of questions that I still ask myself from time to time.

 

And the same set of answers that I still come up with.

 

It brought self-blame into my brain. The feeling that reminded me about the stupid idea to bring you to the mountaintop, about my foolish bravery to drive, despite the lack of my driving skill. 

 

The feeling that led to another voice inside my head.

 

“Why did you do that, Kevin? What were you thinking? Oh, you are such an idiot.”

 

“Now, look at you, a murderer. Begging for mercy, unable to forgive yourself.”

 

White became a new ability that I never wished to get.

 

It was the colour of the creatures floating around at the cemetery when I attended your funeral. Those that couldn’t be seen by naked eyes, those that were invisible to others.

 

It became the colour of the new you. The one who hid behind the tombstone as you watched over the burial of your lifeless body. 

 

Yes, you, the one who became a spiritual being, who didn’t know the burden of being the one left alive. 

 

Yes, you, the one who stayed behind in this world with a wish to talk to me once again.

 

Yes, you, the one that I still can see up to this day.

 

It forced me to think about what I should do.

 

If I become white too, what would you think of me?

 

Because if I do, I would be brave enough to see you.

 

Because if I do, we would be together again. This time, for eternity.

 

Because if I do, it would be easier to forgive myself for what I have done.

 

Yet it all changed after I met the green-eyed girl.

 

Red became the colour of her favourite dress. 

 

It was the one that she wore as she pulled my hands, saving me, pulling me out of the river after I jumped from a bridge.

 

The me who couldn’t stand to continue living in suffering any longer. 

 

The me who tried to run away from the life that you couldn’t have.

 

The me who tried to throw my life away, the life that robbed your future.

 

Blue became a turning point in my life.

 

It was the colour of the sky when I realized that she made me happy. 

 

The feeling that I got as this green-eyed girl put aside the rumours she heard about me.

 

The feeling that I haven’t had since the day you died.

 

The feeling that led me to think, “Let’s end this suffering, once and all.”

 

White marked the beginning of my new life. 

 

It was the colour of my shirt when I visited your parents. The time when I let out the truth about my ability. 

 

The same time when I asked their permission to move on, to be happy with the green-eyed girl.

 

It was the colour of the envelope given by your parents. Delivering the letter to you was the only thing that they wanted me to do as a way to atone my sin.

 

"Because moving on doesn't mean you forget; it means you accept what happened and continue living."

 

That's what your parents told me as they sent me off to the cemetery.

 

---

 

So, here I am.

 

Bringing a bouquet of red roses, white envelope, and golden-coloured wedding invitation in my hand, I walk between the tombstones, heading over to meet you.

 

And as I see your ghost, I gulp nervously.

 

“How are you?”

July 22, 2020 09:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

247 comments

Miss Tee
16:04 Jul 25, 2020

Hi Deborah, I loved reading your story, and I loved how you related everything to colours. Keep up the good work You're such a brilliant writer

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:15 Jul 25, 2020

Thank you for reading it, Edima! Glad that you liked the story :)

Reply

Miss Tee
11:24 Jul 26, 2020

If you don't mind could you check out my story too, it's my first time writing

Reply

Deborah Angevin
12:00 Jul 26, 2020

Sure thing, I will check out yours! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Miss Tee
11:24 Jul 26, 2020

If you don't mind could you check out my story too, it's my first time writing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
14:08 Jul 25, 2020

I love it! I love that you continued this story. Or maybe, just showed the other side of it... And I really like how you brought in the forgiveness of the parents. Were you planning this story before these prompts came out? I'm so happy to see Kevin's side of it! He did seem a little bit un-repentant in Orange-Colored Sky, so this makes it perfect. :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:18 Jul 25, 2020

Hahaha, I didn't! At first, the "Orange-Coloured Sky" was supposedly a standalone story (like all of my other previous submissions). But then when I saw the prompt, I knew I needed to make the continuation of it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
13:48 Jul 25, 2020

Hi Deborah. Well done on a really enjoyable sequel to ‘Orange Coloured Sky’ which also stands alone in its own right. I think most of the comments have already covered what I was going to say, do I’ll summarise the most salient points: great use of structure using the listing of why the colours were significant in the past and then balancing those by listing why the colours are significant now; effective manipulation of your readers’ emotions - the huge number of likes and comments you have speaks volumes here. I would also add that you ar...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:23 Jul 25, 2020

Thank you for the kind words, Jane! That's eye-opening; I've always thought stole and rob just mean the same thing (in the grammatical sense). Thank you for letting me know about it! I'll follow your suggestion for not 100% trusting Grammarly, but to ask people for the grammar side of it :D. As per the Bella's side of the story, I'm going to follow your suggestion again and start writing too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Kaderbek
12:44 Jul 25, 2020

Hi, Deborah! You asked me to read, so here I am! This is a beautiful story! The only critique I have is that his “ability” to see ghosts feels out of place with the rest of the story. The emotions and situations you describe are so real that such a fantastical elements is jarring in comparison, and it’s inclusion doesn’t add anything to the emotion or plot of the story. Just a thought. Overall, great job!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:24 Jul 25, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, Sarah! I can understand why you would think of that :o. Will keep that stuff in mind for my next submission!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anisha Banerjee
07:53 Jul 25, 2020

This story is so well-written! The creativity with the different colours! Wow, I was very mesmerised when i read this, good job!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
12:14 Jul 25, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
06:31 Jul 25, 2020

Hi Deborah, A sad and touching story. Well written. I liked it. If you have time, can you please read my story "The secret of power".

Reply

Deborah Angevin
12:15 Jul 25, 2020

Glad that you liked the story! Sure, I will check yours out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eunmi Kim
04:24 Jul 25, 2020

Omg! Deborah, I love it. It touched my heart Q_Q And I love how it's connected to Orange-Coloured Sky. I'm hoping for more good stories from you ●﹏●

Reply

Deborah Angevin
12:17 Jul 25, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the story, Eunmi! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ai Jiang
21:22 Jul 24, 2020

Hi Deborah, I think you've made very effective use of focusing on colour in your piece and I found it quite a poetic read!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:04 Jul 24, 2020

I put a lot of thoughts into the structure and I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ranya Navarez
21:06 Jul 24, 2020

Okay, that made me cry. The good kind of crying. I have absolutely no critique, because this is so good, Deborah! Extremely well-done!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:03 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for enjoying it, Ranya! Really appreciate it :D

Reply

Ranya Navarez
16:17 Jul 25, 2020

You're welcome! Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Barbara Eustace
14:08 Jul 24, 2020

Deborah, loved this story. I personally like the way you've broken it up, sstarting each sentence on a new line when you're focusing on one idea... Because if I do... To me who tried... The feeling that... This approach makes those bits almost poetical. Good story, sad story, well written.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:01 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for reading it! I feel like I can convey Kevin's feelings better, hence the shorter sentences! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roland Aucoin
13:49 Jul 24, 2020

Wonderful Story. the emotions were strongly felt through your words. I loved the way you use the colors to heighten the emotions evoked. well done, Deborah.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:05 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Roland :). Glad that you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Precious Vitalis
09:20 Jul 24, 2020

Wow, it's a beautiful story, made me thinking of how colors could had great significances in our lives.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:41 Jul 24, 2020

Glad that the story can make you think (in a good way!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
04:33 Jul 24, 2020

Deborah, Using repetition is an effective style to give a distinctive voice, and gave emotional weight to the words. You use well-chosen descriptive words added tension to the feelings in the story. This was a plot-driven story, devoid of character description, except the 'green-eyed girl'. This lack of physical description gives the characters a 'ghost' effect in the mind, where a reader can't really picture them (except how they want to in their own mind's eye). Excellent! 😁. This quality adds to the atmosphere of the story. ~~...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:49 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for helping me with the grammar bit (weirdly enough, I have all of that in my initial draft, and Grammarly asked me to remove it -_-). The way I intended it: the red, blue, white combination symbolise the Kevin that has yet to move on (still haunted by the past). Meanwhile, the ending with red (roses), white (envelope), and golden (invitation) shows that he still keeps Bella in his memories, he acknowledges and tries his best to atone the sin, and he is ready to move on, respectively.

Reply

D. Jaymz
14:37 Jul 24, 2020

I have to go over my revisions after working with Grammarly also, especially after I've read the story out loud. Then I decide if the grammatical correction preserves my style, or takes away the effect that I intended. A lot of the suggestions that I made were to keep your style sizzling and alive 😊 It comes down to learning the rules enough to go beyond them and then just trusting our writerly intuition deep inside. I will read your future works with a different editing (critical) eye since you have the basic looked after. (Oh my, Gr...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:59 Jul 24, 2020

I've been trusting Grammarly so much throughout my uni degree; now that I'm writing here, I realized that Grammarly isn't as great as I thought it would! It sometimes doesn't pick up singular plural stuff -_- But glad that you liked the story! You have a great writing day too! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
02:20 Jul 24, 2020

This is so good! I love how you started with the 3 colors and how the red tied in was AMAZING! Wonderful!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:49 Jul 24, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed it, Phebe! :D

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
17:00 Jul 24, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
VJ Hamilton
01:35 Jul 24, 2020

I liked your device of associating the colors with a memory and a feeling.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:49 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:11 Jul 23, 2020

such a powerful beginning and ending. Simple, yet pack a punch.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:51 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for the kind words, Gabrielle! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Len Mooring
22:28 Jul 23, 2020

You did it well. How many of us have so many regrets? Our lives would have been wonderful if only ...... Thank you for your story.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:51 Jul 24, 2020

I agree with that, Len... Thank you for reading it! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tim Law
22:20 Jul 23, 2020

This story is AMAZING Deborah 😮 Such great imagery, a terrific twist and an ending that seems finished and yet is full with promise of more to come. Well done 👍

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:51 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Tim! Really appreciate it! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zainab Jagani
19:10 Jul 23, 2020

I love how you brought in the colors and his thoughts, the way the perspective of the colors went from negative to positive was also so beautiful, very interesting read couldn't take my eyes off it. Good job!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:49 Jul 23, 2020

Glad that you liked the story! Thank you for reading :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Coomes
19:04 Jul 23, 2020

I loved the story and character progression. This story, for me, was a wonderful way to tell of a haunted past and how it led to a forgiving future. There were a few minor technical issues, I thing. Such as "hug" that should have been "hugged," "wouldn't full" that I think should have been "wouldn't be full", and a couple more. The kind of minor errors we all make when we write, especially when writing a story a week (or more.) Not enough to rob my enjoyment of the story. Well done, Deborah.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:50 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for the feedback on the grammar and enjoying the story, Ken! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.