Chapter 1- Entering the window

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Write a story that involves a magic window — or a window like no other.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy

Primrose walked up twenty steps and opened the library door on a dark stormy evening. Slowly she walked up to the front desk. "Where is the fantasy?" she asked. "Go straight down that way and then turn left, it is all the way in the back." The librarian replied.  "Thank you." Primrose said. She walked down an isle of books and then turned left. At the end of the isle was this enormous stained glass window, Primrose had never seen anything like it. Instead of looking for a book she walked over to the window and stared at its beauty. Primrose knew it was stormy outside so why did this window look as if the sun was shining through it. As she looked closer she thought for sure she saw a butterfly. She reached up to touch the glass and jumped back in amazement and fear when her hand went through the glass. "What in the world." She said aloud. She was shushed by someone in the library for talking out loud. If they had just seen what she did they would have been talking too. Nervous yet curious she slowly reached her hand up to the window. As she touched the glass her hand went through it again then without thinking she stepped into the window.  She was amazed and in awe of what she saw once inside. There were trees and flowers and the sun was shining. Primrose had never seen anything like it in her life. It was untouched and magical looking. Suddenly one of the trees began cracking and its branches were moving in different directions. Primrose was scared and backed away from the tree but the tree just kept moving. Its roots began popping out of the ground and then finally it looked like a living tree person. "Do not fear child. No harm will come to you." The tree said. Primrose who didn't know what to say finally said, "You’re a tree." The tree frowned "Well truthfully your majesty, I am your body guard who looks like a tree. My name is Nicodemus " He said. He had a deep calming voice that made Primrose feel safe. "My, my bodyguard? Why… why do I need a bodyguard?" Primrose asked. Nicodemus sighed "You are the princess from the prophesy I have been waiting thirty years for you to come." Primrose frowned as she was trying to understand what he was saying, "What prophesy?" She asked. "The prophesy is, a girl will enter the kingdom through the glass and she will become the new queen of the land." He explained. "I am no princess or royalty of any kind. I am nothing special." Primrose answered in protest. Nicodemus smiled and said, "By the time you reach the castle you will know your worth."  Primrose said nothing in reply because she did not understand what he meant. "Now we must go your majesty. We have a three day walk ahead of us." He continued. They began walking through the forest. Primrose followed close behind but she was also looking around at the scenery. She saw the prettiest flowers she had ever seen but as she looked closer she noticed something different about them. They could talk, move and even play. "Hey!" A voice suddenly said. Primrose looked all over and finally saw a mushroom in front on her that she almost stepped on. It was looking up at her and had a serious look on its face. "Watch where you're going." He scolded. "I'm sorry." Primrose said as she stepped over him. He turned around and watched her walking away, she walked even closer to the tree. "You have to ignore mushrooms your majesty, they are always grouchy." Nicodemus announced. "I can tell." Primrose said. A butterfly flew by giggling "Does everything here talk?" Primrose asked. "Almost everything. The rocks do not say much unless you ask them. " He answered. As they continued walking through the forest Primrose became thirsty. "Is there any water?" I asked. Nicodemus stopped and looked around "Over there is some." He said. Primrose who was not over seven foot tall could not see it. "Where?" Primrose asked. Nicodemus walked over to the other trees "Please step aside for her majesty." He said calmly. Then the trees began moving and formed two straight rows with a clear pathway in the middle that led right to the water. "Thank you." Primrose said. "You're welcome your majesty." The tree in front said. Primrose walked down the isle of trees to the water, Nicodemus followed behind her. Primrose bent down by the water and scooped up some with her hands."This is wonderful." She said after tasting the water.  She stood up and turned to Nicodemus "My name is Primrose by the way, I never got to tell you." She said with a smile. He smiled and said, "nice to meet you Primrose. Now my lady we need to be on our way." Nicodemus said. They began their three day journey again and every inch they walked Primrose found something that she had never seen before. "Hello Nicodemus." A deer said as it hopped across the trail. She stopped however when she saw Primrose "Is this the princess?" She asked. The deer had this amazed look on her face "It is so nice to meet you your majesty. We have all been waiting for you." The deer said. "Thank you." Primrose said smiling. She decided she would agree rather than keep denying it. "Nicodemus be careful with her, the dark lord still roams these woods." The deer explained. She hopped away and we began walking again "Nicodemus what did she mean dark lord?" Primrose asked. "There is a dark lord who rules these woods he will stop at nothing to make sure you are not crowned." Nicodemus answered. "Why… I didn't do anything." Primrose said confused. "Just you being here is enough if you are crowned then the prophecy is fulfilled and his power will be vanquished. "If he only rules the forest then how is it still so beautiful?" Primrose asked. "He comes out at night. Which is why no one is out after dark." Nicodemus replied. They continued walking through the forest until we reached a cave. "We will camp here for the night." Nicodemus said. They gathered sticks for a fire and Nicodemus taught Primrose how to build a fire. "I'm so hungry. Is there any food?" Primrose asked. "Yes, that berry bush right there." Nicodemus answered. After Primrose ate her dinner she laid down and tried to get as comfortable as she could for being in a cave. "Do you sleep Nicodemus?" Primrose asked. "Usually my lady, but I have spent the past thirty years sleeping and waiting. Now, I have something to protect." He replied. Primrose smiled but Nicodemus did not see her. He was too busy guarding the future princess. Primrose drifted off to sleep and dreamed of the king and the castle, she saw herself standing in the throne room. Then suddenly the dark lord appeared in her dream. He was dressed in a long black cape that was ripped in shreds at the bottom. Suddenly she awoke and saw Nicodemus standing tall in front of the doorway to the cave "What's wrong." Primrose asked. "Stay behind me your majesty and keep quiet." Nicodemus whispered. Primrose peeked around Nicodemus and there standing further away was the dark lord. He looked just as he did in her dream. "Hand over the girl." He shouted in a raspy voice. Nicodemus stood strong "You can never have the princess." He said boldly. "She will be mine." He shouted. The dark lord began running towards the cave, Nicodemus pulled a sword out of his wooden leg "Hide in the cave my lady." Nicodemus said quickly. Primrose ran over to an enormous rock in the cave and hid behind it. She peeked over the top just as the dark lord reached the cave. Nicodemus swung his sword at the dark lord and the whole forest lit up with a powerful white light.

June 10, 2021 22:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.