19 comments

Romance

They say, Love is natural, and that when you find someone you will know. But- that makes no sense. No one can explain love but yet you see so many people falling into it, and then they try to explain its the best thing that's ever happened to them even though they got hurt. I never got it, I truly never thought I would.

....

So I'm married. Yes its a shock isn't it. Well long story short, our families have been feuding for years. I believe what started it was when our past, past generation. The Triton family which is mine, and the Thompson family were best of friends, they liked this one girl, they didn't know they both liked the same girl but- they did. They both promised to support each other, so they promised they would confess to whoever they liked on that day. And although, my family was first to like this girl, the Thompson family confessed first and it just happened that the girl had, had a crush on him for years. So when my family came to confess, the girl said she was already going out with the Thompson family. Which in many ways crushed the Triton.

It was in many ways sad and the Triton stayed in his house for weeks refusing to see the Thompson. But one day The Thompson found a way in, and guessed that the girl he liked rejected him. In laughter the Thompson belittled the Triton's sadness, and told him to man up. The Triton family, my family, has a quick anger, in other words we snap quick, its like in our blood. So when I heard the story even I was surprised at my great, great, great (a lot more greats) grandfather patience.

The Thompson started to brag about his dates with the girl to the Triton and soon when he told him that he was going to kiss her soon. The Triton snapped, he wanted to be a good friend but then again the Thompson was being inconsiderate and cruel. The Triton told him everything and they ended up fighting, soon The Triton declared that they would no longer be friends, and that he wanted nothing to do with him. The Thompson agreed, and after that our feud has continued to this century, and no one in our family thought anything was wrong until our birth.

....

My name is Danielle Triton, I go by Dani or Elle, but never Danielle. And the Thompson birth a son, his name is Romeo, nah I'm just playing, sorry, his name is Ben, Benjamin for long but literally no one calls him that.

The birth of us, washed some sense into our parents and they both decided this couldn't go on any longer. And you know they're smart plan was to get us to marry. They decided this when we were babies, and we didn't know until we turned 20. We were supposed to get married at the age of 22, but things got bad. When we learned of this, we started hating each other while our parents were starting to love each others company. So I hated Ben Thompson, and Ben hated Danielle Triton. But our overall family loved each other now. Wonderful.

When each family realized our growing hate, they decided to move the wedding till when we turned 25, but I didn't see how this made any difference whatsoever, my answer is no and will always be no period. I wanted to fall in love, I wanted to bump into my soulmate like the movies. But no- this dumb feud was going to ruin all of that. I was so prepared to run across the country, and ruin any possibility of the wedding, but then I met Ben, no, I met the real Ben. The kind, caring and sweet Ben. The guy that acted like he didn't care but goes above and beyond for others. The Ben who was able to give away his happiness for his Parents peace.

I still remember the day.. I yelled at him saying. "Why do you act like you don't care, we are about to get married and your sitting there, you and I both know your against this!" I yelled in a fit of rage.

"So? My family and yours have been fighting for decades, and to end this we just have to get married right? Instead of complaining think of all of our families happily spending time together, and all the other families after that," he said while using his pocket knife to crave something on a piece of wood. I had never thought of it like that but still.

"And what about ours?" I said crossing my arms.

"My family is at peace with themselves, I'm happy, and that won't change even if I am with you or not, if you want to be unhappy then you will but thats not my problem" he said that day. It made me angry, how dare he talk to me like that? But I started realizing he was right..and I hated that he was right. He was going to get married to me of all people. And it wasn't like I had anyone knocking on my door asking me to marry them. I had never even had a crush on someone. Sure some guys looked good, but they were all dumb on the inside.

And he was right, my parents did look happier, they weren't always muttering about the Thompson's. And my parents would never let me marry him if he wasn't a good person. So I bit my lip and I didn't complain about getting married again and I decided to watch him carefully. I must have looked to hard because now I have these feelings that I just can't get rid off.

....

Our marriage went well, but a few weeks before the wedding I broke down in sobs. I had these feelings I couldn't tell..and I wondered how my life took so many unexpected turns. No one could understand a word of what I was saying, so my parents thought 'Who best to understand her than the man she's in love with?'

Real smart. I mean I couldn't blame them..Ben and I started acting like we loved each other when we were in front of them. That day Ben hugged me without questioning anything. He said, "We are friends even when we get married, you don't love me, I don't love you, right Elle? he said that and he released me from the hug and left.

Something about that didn't reassure me, I felt disappointed..even more sad. I always wondered whether it was all an act. Did his heart thump like mine? I want to tell him my feelings whatever these feelings are. But does he feel the same? I don't want to make things awkward but I want to tell him, after all its my first time ever liking someone this way.

.......

"Elle you okay?" Ben asks me with concerned eyes. Oh I zoned out thinking of the past.

"Oh y-yes, sorry" I say stammering.

"Really?" he says stopping obviously not believing me.

"I-I was just thinking of how we got married, and now we are on a 'honeymoon' for like two months. Its kind of a lot to take in, you know"

"Yeah, I was just thinking about that" he says. He leaves it at that. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Really? How are you um taking things then?" I ask slowly, maybe I can progress from here and tell him my feelings. Somehow.

"I mean fine.." he says. "Nothing much has changed, except now we are alone together for like two months, on this Island"

"Yeah" I say feeling a bit disappointed. Was he disappointed? Cause if he's disappointed then I'll be disappointed.

"Danielle!" I hear his deep voice call. And strong arms grab me by the waist. I gasp, looking at the steep hill I am about to fall off of. He slowly pulls me back with him..I grip the long arm grabbing my waist.

He sighs. "Watch where your going, will you..I look away from one second and your about to fall off a cliff"

"I'm sorry" I say embarrassed. He lets go and I turn to look at him, he still holds on to me.

"You called me Danielle.." I say.

"Oh!" he says letting go of my waist. "Sorry, my mother tells me you hate being called that, I somehow just ended up calling you that, my bad" he rubs his neck awkwardly

"No, its just it doesn't sound so bad when you say it.." I say as we walk closer to the theater.

"Oh?" he says with that little grin that lights up the room.

"People usually say my name wrong, its Dani-elle not Danielle. You know?"

"No" he says with a smile. "I don't really hear any difference" he says with slight laughter.

"Never mind then.." I say walking into the theaters I hold the door for him since I entered first.

"Thanks" he says. The cold air smashes my face, it doesn't make it any better that it was super cold outside. Ben steps in front of me and pulls my hood over.

"Hey!" I yell. He grabs my face, "Want some popcorn?" he asks.

"I-I don't like popcorn" I respond once again in stammers. He raises his eyebrow at that. "Who doesn't like Popcorn? I thought so before but the Triton family really is weird"

"What? The Thompson's don't like cake! Who doesn't like cake?!" I respond back to that with a smile.

"We don't! its disgusting and filled with sugar" he says with a smile appearing on his.

"That's the freakin' point Ben, it also taste great, the cream, the frosting, mmm" I say holding onto his wrist while his hands hold my face.

"Nah.." he says letting go, much to my disappointment. "I'm gonna go buy the food, you go find our chairs" he says handing me the tickets. "Wait" I say grabbing on his arm. He stops alright.

"Whats up?" he asks. "Sorry" I say letting go of his arm. "No its okay" he says grabbing my fingers and pulling me close. I stare into his eyes, he stares right back..he clears his throat when he realizes what he's doing.

"Like I said- What's up?" he asks. "Uh why don't I get the snacks..and you find the seats or something like that.." I say trailing off.

"Nah...I got it.." he says squeezing my hand softly. "O-okay." I say releasing my hand quick from his. I don't even know when he bought these tickets, he always does things quick and on his own, I would like it if he relies on me just a little. I watch him as he walks away, his hands in his sweats. I look at my hands..Why did he do that? Does he- I look up to find Ben looking at me from far away, "Go" he mouths to me. Nahh..I don't think he does, I know that but why do I hope he does?

...

I walk to my seat feeling defeated, its dark in the theater, and the lame ads have started. I try finding my seat, but its too dark so I trip on someone's foot.

"Watch where your going" the voice says grumpily. Kind of hard to see when its dark but whatever, let me just let him have this one.

"Sorry" is all I say. But then I hear him say "B*$%^"

"I'm sorry for tripping on your foot, but maybe if you pull your legs in like everyone else we wouldn't be having this problem, so before thinking of calling someone a B*$%^ fix our stupidity mkay" I snap back and then I run away quickly. Dumb people, why are they even here? its my honeymoon. Omg that word is beginning to sound normal to me. This is crazy.

I slump down on my seat..and take breath. I hope I don't run into that guy again he sounded pretty angry after what I said. Ugh..why did I have to snap. I ruffle my thick curly long hair.

"Whats wrong with you?" a deep voice says. I gasp thinking its the same guy, but its just Ben. He slumps right next to me. "What?" he asks me. "Nothing- just thought you were someone else"

"Someone else?" he says copying me. Wait is this the famed jealousy??

"You got into another fight huh?" he says stuffing his mouth with popcorn. I frown. Wow..he's right, and i'm upset. Why do I keep doing this to myself its embarrassing. He doesn't like me..I know..I know, ugh is that how he sees me? Like a girl who snaps easily. I slide down in my chair.

"Right?" he asks.

"Never mind lets just watch the movie" I say with a pout. He doesn't say anything but he glances at me a few times. I tell myself just focus on the movie, just focus on the movie. He soon drops a bag on my lap.

"Here" he says. "I got you candy, I'm not sure if you- uh like those but I really did try to pick some that I thought you would like, if you don't like any-" he's rambling. So he was trying to find one I liked, I open the bag. Well he got everything I liked.

"No, I like all of them thanks" I say with a smile. "Great" he mutters embarrassed. He's a good guy, its sad he has to be stuck with someone like me. I place my arm on the armrest, but I make sure to leave some for him. If I had one wish, I'd free Ben from the burden of me, of our families.

I don't realize he's placed his arm on the armrest until he bumps into my arm. "My bad" he says. "Its okay" I respond quietly, why am I nervous, it was just a bump of the arm, not intentional at all.

Just focus on the movie Danielle, the movie, THE MOVIE!! Our pinkies touch lightly, was that me? Nope can't be..

I hear him clear is throat and move in his chair uncomfortably. I look the other way, the movie Danielle. The movie. But the movie doesn't stop him from moving his hand slowly over mine. At that point I stopped breathing, his thumb slowly moves slowly over my fingers as he waits for me.

I slowly subconsciously turn my fingers over and he locks our fingers together.

"Ben" I say his name. "Mm?" he says drawing our hands to his lips. Should I say it now? this is the perfect time too. I want to tell him, please please give me strength. I want to say what I couldn't say those weeks before our wedding.

"Elle?" he says my name calmly, then he gets out of his seat and scoots in with me, I gulp in the lump in my throat. "I need to tell you something." he and I both say. "Sorry" I blurt out. "Go ahead"

He sits there for some time. I wonder what he's going to say, anticipation. Its like the whole theater is waiting for him to just say it.

He scratches his neck, and then eventually pulls my head into his chest, in a hug. His hand on my head holding me there. He breathes almost visibly, his chest moves up and down.

"B-Ben what?" I ask in stutters.

"I'm sorry Elle, I lied to you." he says.

...

And the world just stops.

TO BE CONTINUED~ hehe

August 13, 2020 18:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Sorry for the cringe, but it had to be done. I enjoyed writing this story due to the fact that it really related. NOT the whole marriage thing and liking people. I just mean sometimes truly liking people is underrated in this time and society. You know if you like someone they'd usually say just shoot your shot or whatever. But I specifically made my characters especially Danielle grow by you know truly understanding Ben as a person, then questioning her growing feelings. Sometimes we fall for someone because of what they look like and not...

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:17 Aug 13, 2020

Wow! Great story! I really liked it. You definitely do not have to apologize for the cringe as I am a really really big romance fan...:) Anyway, I really liked how you developed your characters. They were not static at all. OHMYGODINEEDPART222222] Anyway...though the plot and storyline of the story were great, the story could use a little "housekeeping". One easily fixable problem is that you have to have each new person's dialogue on a separate line. Other things I would recommend Grammarly for. Overall, it was a really well-written stor...

Reply

Thank youu like so much! Yeah I've realized too that the way I arrange my dialogue is a little disorganized I'll definitely take your advice. But I have a question what if I'm writing a paragraph no dialogue and I want to add dialogue like at the end of the paragraph can I do that? or is that a no? Also its nice to see someone else who loves romance like me! AHH I REALLY DO NEED TO WRITE A PART TWO! And how to pronounce my name is; Ouu-go-chi, just like that. People at school though call me You-go-chi, though. It used to aggravate me tha...

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:57 Aug 13, 2020

No problem! I think that would be fine if the dialogue connects with that person's thinking in that paragraph, but I would make a new one. Idk, to me it just looks better, ya know? Are you kidding?! I'll be like"This is an action story. No romance needed." and ten seconds later the characters will fall in love with each other. It's a serious problem,. Okay! That's really cool. You have a really interesting name. I sort of know what you mean, a lot of people mispronounce my name as well, and so I just learn to go with it. That's so mean! t...

Reply

YEAH SAME- I really can't help myself, the story is just never complete without it, I always just sneak it in. But when it happens in real life I just go cringeπŸ˜‚ And okay thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to try to improve. And yes they did😭it hurt a little but then I just moved on and didn't care and eventually they stopped a little. OH and congratulations you made it to the leaderboard πŸ‘πŸ‘, I barely know you but I'm so proud of you😭

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:18 Aug 13, 2020

Yeah, I get what you mean... No problem! Happy to help. Aw, I'm so sorry...Bullies smh.... Thank youuuuu, yeah it's all thanks to my Airen B. and Celeste Jiminez. Go follow them if you haven't already!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:06 Sep 10, 2020

IAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH i just screamed. I LOOOOVED OMMMGGG FAVOIRETE THING EVERFJDSKFJDSLFJDLSFJDSLK I AM IMDIETLY ABOUT TO READ PART 2

Reply

A ki ki ki (my weird laugh) Thanks for reading seriously!!

Reply

00:17 Sep 11, 2020

idk why but i can imagine that ahhhkikikikik sounds like a witchπŸ’€πŸ˜‚

Reply

A WITCHH!!?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚I don't even know how I made that I was trying to show my friends my grades and I just started doing it and it stuck with me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
22:29 Nov 06, 2020

Oh I like how their families have been feuding for generations; gives it a slightly mythic vibe. Not gonna critiqe cuz there’s no point. Well, onto the next πŸ˜™

Reply

Thank youuu! Oh you weren't kidding?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
02:00 Sep 16, 2020

Nice story, Ugochi! I really liked how the feuding families getting their children together and how Elle fell for Ben. I would advise though, that you reread your story a few times for spelling and punctuation errors you might've missed especially regarding quotations. Happy writing, Whirl

Reply

Thank you!! Yeah I try rereading my stories as much as I can..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:36 Aug 17, 2020

Oooh, the romance and the cliffhanger! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Grey Clouds"? Thank you :D

Reply

Thankk youuu, also Indescribable Love part 2 is out so if you want to read that- and yes of course. I'm glad you enjoyed my story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
07:27 Nov 23, 2020

Ooooh, I love this thing you've been doing with the series and all. I think you've been so dedicated (unlike me and my series) and you should really keep going with it. And I hate to repeat what everyone else has said, but I also like how their families are "fueding". It gives a nice edge to the romance. Gooooo Ugochi!

Reply

Thank youuu! I am only dedicated cause like everyone likes it- I woulda ended this months ago but everyone seems so invested so I'll keep it going! Thank youuu!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
16:20 Nov 23, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.