Maev and the Enemy Within

Submitted into Contest #202 in response to: Write about two people striking up an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

6 comments

Fantasy Friendship Teens & Young Adult

"Bengt Skara Brae you have got to get out of here and stop moping around!” scolded Senzel as she pulled back the drapes allowing a beam of light to shine into the room. 

Bengt rolled over and put his pillow over his head. “You know you’re not even supposed to be in here. This is the boy’s dormitory.” 

“Rank has its privileges,” Senzel said with a smile to which Bengt lifted his head briefly to shoot her a sarcastic smirk. Senzel was the daughter of the First of Magi in the Court of Antioch, Moniak Illnoi. She could go pretty much wherever she pleased but right now Bengt wanted to be left alone. 

“You know Head Mistress Aquitaine is doing everything she can to try to find out what happened on the trip, but your story was somewhat...” and she trailed off in search of the right word that wouldn’t upset Bengt more. 

“What? My story was what Senzel?” 

“A bit outlandish.” 

“I thought you believed me?” he said, as he sat up and threw his pillow at her. 

“I mean you were forced to come back early from the exchange program at the École et Lettres d'Ingénieurs because you were raving about how two teenage dragons appeared out of nowhere, grabbed Maev, cast a spell that only a Master could know and then disappeared without a trace.” 

“Yeah, that’s about right,” Bengt said nodding his head. 

“And no one else could recall seeing or hearing any of this other than you. You have to admit if you heard this it would be rather hard to believe.” 

“Then where is she, huh? Why haven’t her parents come here to talk to me or the police? She’s not at the École et Lettres d'Ingénieurs and she’s not here. So, where’d she go?” 

“I-I didn’t think that Maev meant that much to you,” she said in a small hurt voice. 

"It’s not like that. Remember when we lost control in the last race after getting hit by that lightning?” 

Senzel nodded. 

“Something happened,” he said looking off into space. “It’s like we could see each other's thoughts.” 

“Dragons do have telepathic abilities. Maybe she reached out to you unintentionally.” 

“No, it was more than that. There was this weird feeling. Like everything we did we did at the same time. We didn’t have to talk through it at all. That’s how we pulled it out and won. Does that make any sense?” 

“I think so,” Senzel said with pursed lips. “Can you use this connection now? To try to see where she may be?” 

“I’ve tried,” he answered shaking his head. “But now it feels like whatever it was has been cut-off.” 

Senzel shrugged. “I don’t know but you must trust Aquitaine. If anyone would know how to find Maev it’s her. And besides with all the class time you’ve missed you’re likely to have to repeat the year.” 

“Nah, they’ll probably kick me out first,” he said as he rolled out of bed, slipped on a pair of brown loafers, pulled a pre-knotted purple and white striped tie over his head, loosened it slightly then threw on a deep purple sports jacket. 

“And you’d prefer that?” Senzel asked, handing him his ruck sack as the two left the room and started down the hall. 

“It wouldn’t be the first time,” he answered which earned him a hit on the shoulder. 

“Meet you at the North Servery for supper?” she called out to him as he pulled away and started down the steps to his class. 

“Maybe,” Bengt smiled slyly. 

Hard as it might be he had to try to push the thought of Maev out of his mind. The more he thought about that sensation the bigger the pit in his stomach became until he couldn’t move, think or eat. If Senzel hadn’t finally come calling on him he’d probably have stayed in his room forever! And Senzel was right, though he’d never admit it to her. Aquitaine was one of the most powerful mages in the CommonWealth. If anyone could find Maev,it’d be her. 

Bengt rounded the corner and suddenly he felt a stabbing pain in his chest. A few students stopped to look at him as he gasped and propped himself up against the wall, but most were in too much of a rush to get to class to even bother. 

A voice started to echo in Bengt’s head. He clenched his eyes shut and tried to push it away, but it kept growing louder and louder. He covered his ears with his hands to try to block it out. The voice sounded so achingly familiar. It was soft and warm. There was a melody to it. He closed his eyes now and instead of fighting it he tried to focus on the voice. Slowly it became clearer as words began to form. He couldn’t quite make them out, but he felt a strength fill his body and his head cleared. 

He opened his eyes and standing in front of him was Maev. She had a curious look on her face as she cocked her head to the side. 

A wave of delight rushed through Bengt as he staggered upright and reached out before collapsing on top of her. 

“Hey, are you alright?” she asked. 

“Yeah, I’m good. Now”, Bengt answered with a sense of relief as he placed a steadying hand on her shoulder. But when he looked up again, he felt stunned to his core. In front of him wasn’t Maev but a girl with lilac skin and a tangle of tight spiraled navy-blue hair pulled carelessly back in a bun so that strands fell across her red eyes. 

“You’re, you’re not Maev,” Bengt stammered. 

“Uh, yes I am,” the girl answered nervously as she looked around uneasily. 

“No! No, you’re not!” said Bengt angrily. “What is this a joke?” he said with a pained smile to no one in particular. 

“Who, who are you talking to?” she asked looking around. 

“Who put you up to this?” he asked in a commanding tone as he grabbed her by the shoulders. 

“No one. I don’t know what you’re talking about.” 

“I felt, I saw Maev. She was right here!”, Bengt said and shook the girl. 

“You’re, you’re hurting me,” she said weakly. 

“I-I’m sorry,” Bengt said letting her go. “I just...I had this feeling that,” he stumbled trying to explain. 

“It’s okay. I didn’t mean to startle you. You looked like you were hurt and I...” 

“No, it’s fine,” Bengt said as he picked up his backpack and threw it over his shoulder. 

“Do you think you’ll be okay from here?” 

“Yeah. Sure,” Bengt said but he didn’t really believe it. That lingering sensation still hovered over him. It was like he had stuck his finger in an electric socket. All those sensations he had felt when he was close to Maev had come tumbling back in a massive torrent that had overwhelmed him but now it had retreated to a barely audible whisper. 

“Alright then,” the girl said, and she moved on. 

I’m losing it, he thought. How on Earths could I have thought that was Maev. Or at least my Maev. Like there can’t be more than one Maev in this school or even the CommonWealth. Bengt smacked his forehead then started walking again to class. 

I’m sure Senzel is gonna hear about this and he let out a groan. I’ll never hear the end of it.  

Bengt turned into a classroom and made his way to his customary seat in the back. He set his rucksack down, pulled out the textbook and notepad and set them on the desk. The rest of his day passed in a blur as he tried to concentrate on the lessons, but it wasn’t any use. He couldn’t shake that lingering feeling when he had met that other Maev. 

His mind turned in circles. Why had he suddnely felt that sensation? Had it been because he had been thinking about Maev and desperately trying to restablish the connection they had? Why did he care about the connection anyway? He didn’t actually like Maev. At least not that way. He didn’t even really consider her a friend. It was just a convenience that he had needed a ride and she needed a jockey. Plain and simple. Besides she had sought him out. Not the other way around. So why couldn’t he get her out of his head? 

“Mr. Skara Brae,” said a minotaur in a clangorous booming voice standing over Bengt. 

“Yeah?,” Bengt answered craning his head back to look up at the towering minotuar. 

“First off, Mr. Skara Brae, you will address me as sir, yes sir, Colonel Bravym. Not with a yeah. Is that understood?”, Bravym said sharply. 

“Sir, yes sir, Colonel Bravym,” and Begnt gave him a half-hearted salute. 

Somehow, Bengt realized, he had been so caught up in his own world that he had gone the entire day sleepwalking until he got to Combat Application class. The course provided students with a comprehensive set of basic combative skills. They learned to respond appropriately to aggression by utilizing proper body mechanics, skills, and fear management. Students were evaluated on their ability to perform selected combative skills and their capacity to exhibit a warrior ethos and fear management. 

This was the one class that he and Maev had together. Maev was way smarter than him in every subject, but she was absolutely horrible at combat and so was Bengt. At just under 180 centimeters Bengt was tall enough to intimidate most people with just his presence. He was also athletic which made up for his lack of skill with a sword. But rather than get into a brawl he preferred trickery and sleight of hand to brute force contests. And he absolutely hated this class. 

“It’s your turn to sound off, Mr. Skara Brae.” 

“Oh. Apprentice Begnt Skara Brae. House McMurty.” 

“Right then. Because it appears this is Mr. Skara Brae’s first day back with us the entire company will do extra wind sprits at the conlsuion of today’s lesson!” 

The class groaned but was cut off by a stern glare from Bravym. 

“Now then. Each of you get into your assigned pairings. We will start with sword dueling.” 

The students began milling about, collecting their practice wooden swords and finding their partners. Bengt picked up a sword and waited until each of his classmate had paired up to see who was left since Maev had been his partner. 

As the group started to disperse to find space on the mat the only person left, to Bengt’s chagin, was the other Maev. 

“So, hi again,” she said approaching him hesitantly. 

“You’re in this class? There was only one Maev in this class and that was my friend. Are you new or something?” 

“Yeah,” she replied. Bengt waited for her to elaborate but when she didn’t he sighed and moved into position. 

“Since you’re new I’ll take it easy on you. I’ve been doing this awhile,” Bengt said with a half-smirk. 

“Okay everyone. Take your positions! Salute each other,” Bravym instructed. 

Bengt raised his sword up in front of his face and Maev did the same. 

“Now, begin!” 

Bengt charged at Maev thrusting at her chest but she easily sidestepped the attack. He then swung his blade around to the right in a wide arc that she ducked under. He then traced it back aiming for her knees but she jumped avoiding the blow. Before she landed she struck out with her own sword at Bengt’s head. He barely had time to parry the blow before she spun down to her knees and swiped at his ankles taking his feet out from under him sending him sprawling to the ground. 

Okay, that tears it! He thought as he scrambled to his feet. Maev was smiling now as she circled around Bengt. 

“What? Are you enjoying this?” asked Bengt furiously. 

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t.” 

Bengt grasped his sword with both hands and cut down at her shoulder. She brought her sword up to catch it but the force of the blow caused her to stumble backwards. Maev was smaller then Bengt by at least ten centimeters and he had her way overmatched in weight and stamina. Bengt pressed the attack with short swings smacking her blade aside with each cut while pushing her back until her heels were on the edge of the field of play. 

Just one more thrust and this is over, thought Bengt. But on his last swing Maev closed the distance between them and ducked causing his blade to pass harmlessly over her head. She then hooked her leg around Bengt’s knee and shoved backwards to the ground. 

Before Bengt could get up Maev stood over him with the tip of her blade held against his throat. 

“Well done Apprentice Sekhmet! You’ve done your house proud!” bellowed Bravym. 

At that Maev’s face went white. She dropped the sword and began to back away. 

“Sekhmet? Wait, that’s Maev’s last name. But you’re not Maev!” Bengt said as he got up. 

“Colonel Bravym, sir? May I be excused? I’m not feeling well, sir”, she asked the minotaur as she started to make her way to the exit of the gym. 

“Yes, yes of course.” 

With that she turned and broke into a run with Bengt in pursuit. His longer strides allowed him to close the distance and he grabbed her wrist as she stepped into the hallway. When he did a flood of memories, emotions and pain wracked his mind and body. He dropped to his kneeds but held onto her wrist. 

“Who, who are you?,” he asked her in-between breaths as he tried to settle himself. “And don’t give me that your Maev. You are not Maev Caitrín Sekhmet.” 

“Can you please let go of me,” she pleaded. 

“Not until you tell me what’s going on.” 

“It’s, it’s complicated.” 

“Try me.” 

“Ok, but not here. Is there someplace we can speak in private?” 

“Sure, follow me.” And the two set off. Bengt switched from holding onto Maev’s wrist to holding her hand as they wound their way through the corridors of the school until Bengt stopped in front of a painting. He glanced around to make sure no one was in the hallway before he pulled back the painting revealing a gaping hole in the wall. 

“Through here,” he said. 

The two clambered into the hole. Bengt grabbed a torch and held it aloft as they continued down the tunnel until they got to a stream. 

“Where are we?” Maev asked. 

“Underneath the school. No one knows about these tunnels. It’s practically a whole other city down here. Now, who you are and where’s the real Maev?” 

“If I tell you anything it could mean my life.” 

“If you don’t tell me what I need to know then I’m going to bring you to the Headmistress. And believe me, you don’t want that!” 

“It wouldn’t do you any good.” 

“Oh yeah? And why is that?” 

“Because she already knows.” 

“Knows? Knows what?” 

Maev took a deep breath. 

“I’m not Maev Caitrín Sekhmet. My name is Erylis Rykeld.” 

Bengt gave her a confused look. 

“First daughter of Corvallis the Eternal? Ruler of Vestroya?” 

“Should I know this?” 

“We’re at war! Our two kingdoms are at war! How could you not know this?”, said Erylis in a tense voice. 

“I dunno,” Bengt shrugged. 

“Unbelievable. My people die and you, none of you even know or care. What’s the point?” 

“Hey, I don’t know about any war and I don’t care. The only thing I’m looking for is to find out where you took Maev and bring her back.” 

“Fine,” she said resolutely. “All I know is that I was captured by your people. There was a rescue attempt but something went wrong and it appears Maev and I switched places.” 

“What? What does that mean?” 

“It means that your friend is in my body and I’m in hers.” 

“Wait,” Bengt said shaking his head. “That means. Maev isn’t a dragon?” 

“No.” 

“She’s, she’s you?” 

“Yes, in a manner of speaking,” said Erlyis composedly. 

The revelation caused Bengt to rock on his heels and he had to catch himself on the wall for support. 

“Maev’s not a dragon. And Aquitane knows this?”, asked Bengt distractedly. 

“Yes.” 

“Then why isn’t she doing something about it? Alerting the authorities?” 

“Because I tried to escape.” 

“Escape?” 

“Yes, escape from my family. My duty. I didn’t want any of it. Headmistress Aquitane understood. She gave me asylum here at the school while she searched for a way to switch us back.” 

“Right now my friend is missing after getting dragged off by two dragons. Aquitane knows this and hasn’t lifted a finger to help her? This is insane!” 

“Your friend was taken by dragons?” 

“Yeah, did you have something to do with that?” 

“No, but I know where they’ve taken her.” 

“Then we need to go get her before they realize that she isn’t you.” 

“It’s not that simple. We have to find a transport that can take us to Vestroya. With the war still going on that will be almost impossible. And even then we’d have to get into the castle, find her and then get out before anyone knows what’s going on.” 

“But you did it,” Bengt retorted. 

“I had some help.” 

“The longer we sit here waiting for Aquitane to figure out what to do the higher chance your dad figures out Maev’s isn’t you. And then what?” 

Erylis knew she didn’t want to and couldn’t go back. He father would never forgive her failure or take her back as a humanoid. But she knew that if she didn’t at least try to help Bengt then his friend Maev could be in real danger once her father uncovered the truth. 

Erylis extended her hand to Bengt. Bengt, looking surprised, reached out and grabbed her hand.

“Let’s go get Maev.” 



June 17, 2023 00:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Patrick Samuel
14:25 Jun 22, 2023

Hi Daniel Critique Circle suggested I review your story. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm the best reader for it since SF/Fantasy is really not my thing. However I will try to be as objective as I can. The premise is interesting and you know how to start late in the story, which draws us into it right away. Took me a while to understand the protagonists were actually dragons (or did I get that wrong?). Part of my problem with this genre of short story is that it takes a lot of exposition to set the background get to the point, sometimes a...

Reply

Daniel Rosas
19:37 Jun 22, 2023

Bonjour Patrick (saw in your profile that you're French but other then that and maybe saying "how are you" that's about all I remember from my French lessons in university)! First, thank you, thank you, thank you for grinning and bearing reading through my short story. I also have started receiving e-mails for Critique Circle but like you the stories aren't necessarily in my genre sweet spot. So, unlike you I haven't had the courage to read on so again thank you for your objectivity and taking a chance on my story! Agree with you on the ch...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
17:44 Jun 20, 2023

I hope this is a chapter in a longer narrative. Well-done. The story drew me in the more I read. There are a few spelling errors you may not have caught if you were up against the wall on the deadline. Good luck in all of your writing endeavors. I hope this is part of a large narrative, and I hope you complete it.

Reply

Daniel Rosas
18:12 Jun 20, 2023

Good Afternoon David and thank you so much for taking the time to read my story and provide feedback! Short-ish answer on this being part of a longer narrative: yes but each story I try to have it be a stand alone. If you'd like to read more feel free to checkout my other submissions. Would love to hear your thoughts! (Much) longer answer: I actually started writing this story arc creating a whole new character just for the Reedsy Prompts. She is, though, part of a much broader universe that I've been writing for about 30+ years (yikes!...

Reply

David Sweet
01:20 Jun 21, 2023

Awesome! That is really cool. I'll have to check it out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:20 Jun 17, 2023

And the plot thickens....

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.