4 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction Suspense

A bucket list. We all have them. Even if we aren't aware of them. We all have generic ones too. Like pulling a whistle on a train. I like to think that we’re born with wishes like that. Wishes to do stuff that seems so cool like hot air ballooning or skydiving. My goals are long. But there is one that I would love to achieve. A secret one that no one knows about. I keep it in my head. Away from everyone else. Please don’t laugh at me for this, but my dream, my ultimate dream is to fly. Three days ago the gravitational field of the earth broke down. The atmosphere is faltering and our world is slowly drifting through space. This new phenomenon has sent people into panic mode. The gravitational pull of the earth has become less. And if you go to a certain spot on the earth you can actually leave the ground. It’s only for a couple of minutes but it would be the best minutes of my life. People have been trying to fly to Mars and Jupiter. But so far most of them have been turned down. NASA is only letting in the rich and wealthy people. People who are apparently worth more than us. Mars has been found to be the planet that we were all on millenniums ago. Human bones and evidence of humans being there has been proven. Yet we destroyed that earth. And now we are on this earth. Which is also slowly decaying. With pollution and global warming, the icebergs are really suffering now, especially because the ozone layer has many holes in it now and there are no uninhabited places on the earth. Every bit of Antarctica has been mapped and every square meter people are living in houses. My goal before the end of this year is to fly to France, from England without any machinery. The earth is slowly destroying itself because of the impact of humans and if people have goals they better do them now while there’s still time. I’m hiking to the farthest point of England at the moment. The part right next to the English Channel. Where the water and land meet. There’s a spot there that tourists go mad about, because it lifts you in the air. I’m about half an hour away now. I look at my watch. It’s 10.30 pm on the 31st of December 2057. Only an hour and a half till 2058. I don’t have long. I came so late because I thought the line might be shorter. I only hope that no one does anything dumb. If people do dumb stuff around the spot the supervisors from NASA act like teachers and we are naughty children. They shut it down for a few days until we can behave ourselves. I reach the gate. A long line snakes back to half way down the long yard. I hope I make it. An officer is standing at the front of the line directing everyone and making sure no one does anything silly. A woman in front of me reaches into her bg and pulls out a long rope. She tugs on it and the whole line comes falling down, me included. I hit the ground and quickly look around. Everyone is standing bewildered at what happened. The woman has run to the front taking n chances at not flying. She waves her arms high in the air and drops. Right off the cliff. I gasp. The gravitational pull doesn’t reach down there. It only reaches higher ground. She’ll fall to her death. I run to the front and climb through the protective gate. Tbe officer runs after me waving a baton at my head and yelling something in french. I jump off the cliff and will the gravitational pull to have weakened. I push my weight downward and I go crashing toward the rocky beach. The waves come up high and I reach for something to grab, anything. My hand reaches air. A cloud floats just above me. I grab the edge of it. My hand somehow latches on to it. The woman has almost reached the bottom of the fall. She’s screaming a blood curdling scream. One that will forever rung in my ears. I push the cloud down with me. The wind gets stronger as I draw closer to the ground. I reach the woman and clutch her around her waist. She stops screaming and tries to help me by going upward. She reaches a ledge and I let her down. She thanks me and offers me money, but I refuse. The greatest gift I could ever get is to walk on air. I keep my hand clasped on my cloud and I walk across the English Channel. WIth my other hand I reach down and touch the water as I softly glide through the night. I reach the edge of France. People are milling about and it’s very loud. My feet touch the ground and I let go of my cloud. A big clock tower chijmes. Once, twice. I count the chimes out. It chimes 12 times. I did it. I achieved my goal. I’ve flown in the air. I’ve walked the deep sea blue ocean of night. With the moon above me and the srs around me. I’ve been freed. Freed from years of walking on the earth. I look around at the world around me. People are still polluting it, but besides all that I love the people of this world. If only they would take more care of their planet though, then maybe we wouldn’t all be counting the days till we all go extinct and only the snobby people are left. I dread to think of that day. I look back at England. I wave to everyone else on the other side of the channel they probably can’t see me. I get up on the mound and prepare for the way home. 

December 31, 2020 06:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

09:59 Jan 04, 2021

superb story

Reply

20:46 Jan 04, 2021

Thank you glad you liked it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maggie K
10:20 Jan 20, 2021

WOW that was amazing!

Reply

10:32 Jan 20, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.