8 comments

Happy Middle School

The top-ten events that happened to me in 2020

  1. The whole world, including me, started to suffer from an infectious disease called Covid-19 and extreme lockdowns were enforced. My friends, family and I all panicked because for the first time in my life, we were going to experience online learning and the parents were going to have to deal with it. Thankfully, we are not aware yet of one of us having the virus.
  2. I had online learning for 3 whole months. It took time, but I got used to it and made a new routine at home for my time with online learning. My friends and I called each other constantly, same goes for texting. I missed them so much, and some of my friends and I even got to sending each other real letters. I obviously wanted to meet my friends in public and hang, but my parents wouldn’t allow me to because of the stupid virus. We promised each other to see each other though, because summer vacation was coming up.
  3. Online learning finally ended and here came summer vacation! That meant lounging at the beach, surfing on the waves, and eating ice cream every day! For me, summer was the life of the party. Fortunately, because summer was really hot, and not many people cared about the virus at least for this part of the year, my vacation wasn’t really so different from my past years. I met up with my friends and had the time of my life. But as always, the holiday was over just too soon. It was time to get ready for the start of a new school year. And that meant shopping. Notebooks, clothes, whatever you can find, really, that you want and can convince your parents to buy for you. Of course, even I went onto crazy shopping mode and got a bunch of stationery. I hoped to impress my friends with all the stuff I had. But you never knew what they had bought, either.
  4. I went back to a newly clean school. My best friend was there for me as always, listening to music and waiting at the front gate. We hugged despite the Covid-19 protocols and safety rules of our school. We almost got into trouble, but we have our ways of sneaking snacks and treats. My best friend and I both had the same but new teacher. He was a man, and he was pretty nice. We also had a new student. She was a girl, but she wasn’t the type of girl I usually hang out with. So I didn’t hang out with her.
  5. My best friend introduced me to a band. She was annoying me by it, actually, forcing me to listen to their music and telling me she could name all the members of the band at least a hundred times. But time passed and I grew to love it. I used to think boy bands were all rock and kind of boring, but this band changed me. Changed my life. Now almost all the music I listen to is from them, and most of the merchandise I have collected in my room is based on them. I got most of it for my birthday, which is just one month before Christmas. Lucky me. In other words, I have become addicted.
  6. This one is embarrassing. For the first time in 3 years, I have formed a crush on a boy. He’s new, and the only reason I know about him is because his younger brother is in my favorite teacher’s class. He loves basketball, and he has the most beautiful electric blue eyes... Ander really changed me. I used to be so strong and I didn‘t take any crap from anyone but now, I gotta admit, he has made me different. I’m still strong, but different.
  7. My best friend has also found herself a crush. He’s a little older than us, and the one thing I’m sure about him is that he loves soccer. Now whenever Emma sees him, she gets all nervous and flattered. I don't blame her though, because I act exactly the same way whenever I see my crush.
  8. I have become a fan of the movie series Fast & Furious. When I first saw it, I was young, so I thought that it was kind of boring. Cars? The only thing I understood about them was that they are used for daily transportation. I couldn’t understand any of the action, either. But now I have come back and I am a big fan of the series. All the characters mean so much to me, and when Paul Walker died, I cried for one week straight. Tough times. I am an even bigger fan of a girl in the series, and her character name is Letty Ortiz. She is so tough, pretty, and amazing at driving. When I grow up, I want to be just like her.
  9. I celebrated Christmas. My family does this every year, but you should know something. We aren’t like most families. We all still believe in Santa Claus, and we all hang our stockings by the fireplace. Yes, even my dad gets presents. It would be pretty hard to believe that the parents are doing this though, because who would be able to pull off this kind of stunt every single year and not get caught? I mean, Santa even leaves us presents under the tree. My mother got an oven toaster, and my dad got a watch. I got a speaker and radio. Even our dog gets presents and celebrates. I believe that if you believe in Santa Claus and leave out a stocking for him to fill, you will get a present or two. But remember to stay on the good list or something might happen!
  10. And last, here I am, almost at the end of my story of the year. I have had quite an amazing year; lots of things have happened. I would like to thank all my friends and family for such a year. I hope to have a better year and I wish you all a Happy New Year.



December 31, 2020 11:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Jexica Marcell
18:35 Jan 14, 2021

5. My best friend introduced me to a band. She was annoying me by it, actually, forcing me to listen to their music and telling me she could name all the members of the band at least a hundred times. But time passed and I grew to love it. I used to think boy bands were all rock and kind of boring, but this band changed me. Changed my life. Now almost all the music I listen to is from them, and most of the merchandise I have collected in my room is based on them. I got most of it for my birthday, which is just one month before Christmas. Luck...

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:44 Jan 15, 2021

Haha thanks so much!!! Hehe

Reply

Jexica Marcell
16:18 Jan 15, 2021

Yeah!!! Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

ALL TRUE. TOO TRUE> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:12 Jan 01, 2021

Aw, love this creative take on the prompt! Your 2020 sounds pretty similar to mine, lol. But woaaaaah, you’re in in-person school?! My entire beginning of middle school has all been online so far 😂🥺😅 Great writing!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
22:38 Jan 01, 2021

OMG thank you so much! Yup, my school has been open from August, 2020. I hope you get back to school soon or you all just might die from too much computer time! (I’m addicted to this site lol.) THANKS❣️❣️

Reply

01:44 Jan 02, 2021

My pleasure lol :) Cool! Oh shank you :) Haha! (Even after half a year...same 😝)

Reply

Coco Longstaff
01:54 Jan 02, 2021

Oh yah hehe 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.