A Dreamer's Dream

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

92 comments

Fiction Happy

15:06:11 August 20th 

I see the time, my heart thumping inside me. My arms lie weak at my sides, which is ironic because I’m supposed to be a swimmer. My legs feel stony and I’m afraid I will lose my balance.

Hundreds of people swarm around me, their voices merging into one before hitting my ears like a torpedo. They’re all unknown, but that is the least of my worries.

It takes some time to realize what has happened, and what is happening. Reality hits me hard.

I have won the Summer Olympics.

15:06:12

The medal is hung around my neck, its metal icy and cold against my skin. I take it in my hand, my fingers numb. The gold medal glistens under the luminous lights of the hall, and I tilt it around several times, studying it with childlike curiosity.

Everything is being aired on television. The entire world can watch me from their homes. I have never been broadcasted like this, except in the actual competition. But then, I had been thrashing with all my might in the water, so I had never noticed.

Everyone will know now that there is someone called Walter Smith, and he is the latest Olympic Gold Winner.

15:06:13

A dream come true. That’s what it was.

I scour all the people, my gaze moving across each face. They promised they would come. Will I find them? I’m beginning to think they didn’t make it to the ceremony when I finally glimpse them.

A boy no older than seventeen, leaping in the air, waving his arms at me is my younger brother. Beside him are my parents, their faces shining with pride and honor. This is my mother’s dream too, and I cannot imagine how happy she is.

15:06:14

I remember watching the Olympic games when I was younger. I would miss none of them. I would cheer and yell at the television, urging the athletes to go on and push their limits even though I knew they couldn’t hear me. My favorite part was the awards ceremony, where the athletes would finally reap what effort they had sowed. I still can’t forget the look on their faces when it hits them that they’ve won.

15:06:15

My mother was my first trainer.

She always wanted to be an athlete when she was younger. She had wanted to take part in the Olympics one day, and though she won many laurels in tournaments at the state level, she never fulfilled her dream. I think it is because she didn’t get the right training, but when I ask her, she says it was her own decision that held her back.

When I was a young boy, she was the first to put all that work into me and make me better at swimming. She never forced her ambitions on to me, but when I announced I was made to be a sports person, she was the happiest person on this planet.

Walter,’ she said, “I know whatever you decide to do in your life, I will always be proud of you.

15:06:16

I remember when I told everyone I was serious about this, my mother took me to the best sports training center in our city. It wasn’t the best because it was famous or rich. It was the best because it had time and time again, churned out some of the most successful athletes in our country.

The day I stepped into that training center, I knew that this was only just going to begin.

15:06:17

I won many medals and awards, but my coaches, family, and friends would always encourage me to aim higher. Right now, I am thankful for their advice. If I had been content with winning tiny prizes, today would have never happened.

I can see them in the crowd, too. My trainers and all my friends, standing with my family, cheering me on and on without stopping.

15:06:18

I remember all the people who gave me confidence, but I also remember the people who made fun of me. They told me I would never make it. They were everywhere: in my training center, at school and in my neighborhood. If they are watching this now, I want them to know that I don’t dislike them for their harsh words.

I thank them, too, because it is their scorn that has made me push harder to achieve my goals.

15:06:19

I remember the endless days of training when I had almost given up. It feels so long ago. The last stage of my training for the Olympics had undoubtedly been the hardest to undergo. It wouldn’t be enough to merely do my best. I had to outperform myself in every single thing.

The water had become like second nature to me. I was twenty-one, and instead of attending university like others my age, I had spent almost all my time in the water, training, training, and training. My coach never let me be too sure of myself because the last thing I needed was to become overconfident. I am glad he did that, because now that I have won, I am sure he is proud of me.

15:06:20

The National Anthem begins playing, and I lift my chin. Nothing has ever sounded sweeter than hearing my own country’s National Anthem being played and televised live to the entire world. I tell myself that I am making my country proud. This was what I had always wanted to do. The National Anthem makes complete sense to me now, and nothing can describe how I feel after hearing it like this. A cascade of memories, images and emotions flows through me. I have never been the expressive type, but my eyes brim with happy tears.

I can’t wrap my mind around the fact that I have truly won in the Olympics.

All I want to do now is hold on to the moment, so I can relive it again and again whenever I can, because this sure is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

How I wish these ten seconds could last forever!

December 29, 2020 13:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

92 comments

Wow Akshaya, though it is a 10-second story, it felt like there was a lot happening, and you wrote this story so nicely and with a ton of detail! I loved every word of it! :)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
08:46 Dec 30, 2020

Thank you so much, Harpriya, for being so supportive! :)

Reply

Oh, no problem!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
08:59 Dec 31, 2020

:)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
16:24 Dec 31, 2020

:D There are like 2 hours for New Year here. I'm so EXCITED!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
13:39 Dec 31, 2020

Hello Akshaya! This story was soooo inspiring! I loved how it showed his journey up until he won the Olympics. Great job! :D

Reply

Akshaya ✨
13:47 Dec 31, 2020

Thank you so much, Kate!! :D

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:49 Dec 31, 2020

Np! C:

Reply

Akshaya ✨
13:51 Dec 31, 2020

:D If you don't mind me asking, what does C: mean? I've seen it being used before but (much to my embarrassment) I don't know what it means!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:59 Dec 31, 2020

Oh it’s not a problem! It’s just a smiling face! It is a bit weird since it’s upside down though lmao

Reply

Akshaya ✨
14:06 Dec 31, 2020

Okay! :) I upvoted you to 2000!! :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
13:07 Dec 29, 2020

Hi everyone! 1. This story was short because I didn't want to include too many details as I thought it would be better written in a brief way. After all, I'm covering only ten seconds! 2. I'm not entirely certain about the system of award-giving ceremonies in the Olympics. If I have made any mistakes in my story, do tell me and I will be glad to rectify them! 3. I haven't set this in any particular year, because it is entirely fictional and I don't want it to coincide with any real athletes or people in history. 4. Any ways in which I could...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Antonio Jimenez
18:00 Dec 31, 2020

One of the best stories I’ve read on Reedsy in a while. This was great. You perfectly covered his win, his past, his troubles, and his patriotism in ten seconds. Love this. Would love for you to check out and give me feedback on my newest story. I need the help lol Happy New Year!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
04:02 Jan 01, 2021

Hi Antonio! Thank you so much. Sure, I will do that! Happy New Year to you, too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Wow Akshaya! Wonderful story once again. Loved how you included the Olympics in this 10 second. Really needed this story to start a new year. Hope you and your family have a wonderful year and more to come:)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
17:19 Dec 31, 2020

Thank you so much, Varsha! I hope you and your family have a great year ahead, too! :)

Reply

Thank you Akshaya! I'll upvote you, you need some points as a new year gift from me:)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
17:22 Dec 31, 2020

Thank you Varsha! I upvoted you a little while ago, and I'll do some more now!!

Reply

Aww, thank you! Your such a sweet friend.

Reply

Akshaya ✨
17:23 Dec 31, 2020

Thank you! You're really nice, too! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akhila Iyer
08:41 Jan 05, 2021

Good one! good descriptions and an amazing narrative

Reply

Show 0 replies
Claudia Morgan
09:15 Jan 02, 2021

Aww this is a nice story! I like the Olympics idea too!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
09:26 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you Ana! :) I hope you had a great new year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
21:59 Jan 01, 2021

This was an inspiring, in-depth story! I can imagine that winning the Olympics would really be a once-in-a-lifetime experience! I love how you went into detail about each scene in your story, and still managed to make it fit the ten-second prompt! I also want to say, did you draw the image in your pfp? It's amazing!!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
08:30 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you so much, Saph! I'm glad you liked reading my story! Yes, I drew it, it's a sketch of one of my characters (whose birthday was yesterday). Thank you! :)

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
15:57 Jan 04, 2021

Happy birthday to your character!!!! Np!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
05:44 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you Saph, from both me and my character! :D (is it weird that I feel my characters are real? Lol)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
14:16 Jan 09, 2021

And I loved your blog!! :)

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:46 Jan 09, 2021

Hahah no it's not weird at all! and THANK UUUUU YOU MAKE ME SO HAPPY :DDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Amazing! Yeah, a lot of times in the Olympics, it's a difference of seconds between winning and losing, and this character has just had the best ten seconds of her life. Good work! Also, nice profile pic!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
08:25 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you very much, Jade! I agree with you on that, those ten seconds were very important! The main character is a 'he', though. :) Thank you! It's one of my characters whose birthday was yesterday!

Reply

Okay! Yeah, I thought they were a she at first, since it was first person, but yeah, reading it now I van tell they are male. :)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
15:09 Jan 02, 2021

:) I didn't really put his name many times, so it must've sounded like that.

Reply

Yeah, kind of. Hey, could you read my new story?

Reply

Akshaya ✨
15:11 Jan 02, 2021

Sure I will!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
22:24 Dec 31, 2020

heyyyyyyy marshmallow... quick question since I'm putting you in my story... where do you most wanna go?

Reply

Akshaya ✨
03:52 Jan 01, 2021

The North Pole!!! :D

Reply

Akshaya ✨
16:47 Jan 01, 2021

By the way, is it only on Earth or anywhere in space?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.