Well, You See, We Sorta Like Outside

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Center your story around a character bargaining for something that's important to them.... view prompt

20 comments

Fantasy Funny

Oakaford, the captain of the Stumper Guard, stood in front of Lady Nimmo's desk with a confused look, hoping Lady Nimmo would change her mind. "Do we have to?"

"Don't you want a home? I mean, everyone wants a home," she could hardly believe what she was hearing. She pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration.

It pained Oakaford to see Lady Nimmo frustrated, "Well, you see, we sorta like outside." He nervously tapped his twig fingers on his sides.

"But homes are a place of peace and safety. Protection against the elements." She paused on that one. "I guess I feel bad that we have homes and you guys don't."

Oakaford's tapping increased. He couldn't stand it anymore. "Um, I suppose we could try it. I mean, perhaps we could build a few and see what we think of them." He was certain he knew what he would think of a roof blocking his view of the stars, fresh rain, and cozy wind - no, thank you. However, he wanted to make Lady Nimmo happy.

"Wonderful! That's a wonderful idea," she beamed. "I'll speak with Bomgar. You're going to love it."

The stumper captain joined in her excitement on the outside. Inside, he was trying to decide which he would hate more, facing one of those fire-bolt dragons or living in a house.

After Oakaford left, Captain Arrow James entered, beaming with his charming smile.

"Knock, knock," he said half way into the room.

Lady Nimmo nodded and smiled, "What brings you here?"

"Believe it or not, I'm actually here on business."

"Business? What kind of business?" She figured she knew. It probably involved a date. It was just like him to tease her.

"Did you know the trees of Trungen forest are the most pliable type of wood in all Wanowyn?"

"No, I didn't know."

"But also the hardest. Now I was thinking we could export trungen wood and increase our revenue. All we would need is a ship, and I happen to know a great sailor willing to captain it."

She was waiting for the punchline, but none came. He was excited and expecting. He poured on the charm with his dashing smile. There was definitely no joke coming. It was clear to her now that he really was there for business. She was so excited about the date that she hadn't really paid attention to his proposal.

"A ship? Wood? What are you talking about?"

"Didn't you hear? A trading ship. We would sell trungen wood in exchange for money. I could be the captain."

"You want to go to sea? I thought you retired." Her pulse rose. Unbidden thoughts invaded her: Does he want the sea more than me? Was he trying to return to piracy? Was he unhappy living in the woods?

"Not like that. I don't mean pirating. I'd only be out to sea for a few weeks out of the year." He quickly dived into damage control mode. "I'd be doing this for Jorton and you."

"I don't like it." Her mind kept telling her that he would stay at sea and never return. "We don't need the money."

Captain Arrow knew not to push. He saw her concern. He knew the growing town of Jorton needed a lot of money to build defenses, public buildings, and roads. However, he reluctantly dropped the matter and excused himself after they agreed to meet for dinner.

Near the end of the day, Jor visited Lady Nimmo. She filled him in on the events of the day, especially Oakaford's and Captain Arrow's meetings, hoping for a sympathetic shoulder. She still hadn't recuperated from Captain Arrow's request to return to sea and Oakaford's reluctance to live in a house.

"So, I told him no, I don't want you to captain a ship," Lady Nimmo said near the end of her report.

"I see," Jor said while chomping on the stem of his unlit pipe. "Do you know why you said no?"

She looked confused, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, what caused you to deny his request."

She hesitated and gave it a tiny amount of thought. "Because it was a bad idea."

"But, you see, it's not a bad idea. It's actually a very good idea." Jor leaned forward. "We need revenue and trungen wood is rare and very valuable."

"I guess so, but I still don't see why we need revenue."

"I believe that is the problem; you don't see because you're not listening." He could see Lady Nimmo getting upset. "Calm down, and let me explain."

She took a deep breath.

"When negotiating, you must separate your personal feelings about the topic. You have to see both sides – theirs and yours. Oakaford tried to share with you his views, but you only saw what you would want if you were him. Arrow attempted to do the same, but you only saw your fear he would go back to pirating." Jor stopped and chewed on his pipe. "Am I correct?"

She didn't want to hear anymore, but remained respectful. "I'm exhausted. Could we continue this conversation tomorrow?"

That night, she took a walk around town. It began to sprinkle, but not enough to force her to run home. She continued her walk. As she did, she noticed a group of stumpers standing. They looked happy drinking in the drizzle. Walking further, she saw stumper after stumper enjoying themselves in the great outdoors. Some were fast asleep, while others stood in circles, joking and laughing. They looked as peaceful outside as she did inside her home. She scolded herself for not seeing that the definition of home can be different for different beings.

Captain Arrow came to her mind. She wondered why she feared him leaving. He gave up his first love, the sea, to live in her forest. He wouldn't leave. He never had to come in the first place. Arrow isn't anything like him, she said to herself. She stopped in shock and shook her head, attempting to rid her mind of that horrible blast from her past. She hadn't realized she was comparing Arrow to him. That louse wasn't even in the same league as Arrow. She refused to give another thought to that bum.

She headed back home, determined to talk with Oakaford and Arrow tomorrow, except this time she would listen.

June 22, 2024 02:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Kagiso Mokgadi
17:46 Jul 04, 2024

I am inspired and interested by this story

Reply

Daniel Rogers
19:02 Jul 04, 2024

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:40 Jul 04, 2024

Love the character building, as always! I look forward to finding more about Lady Nimmo's past... :D

Reply

Daniel Rogers
19:01 Jul 04, 2024

Thank you, I'm always looking for the right prompt to move plots along. Sometimes it can be challenging 🤪

Reply

Irene Duchess
20:35 Jul 04, 2024

Agreed. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
18:15 Jun 29, 2024

Great story! It was short, but it was perfect for what it was. We got to see another side of Lady Nimmo, Arrow, and the stumpers, and you teased at some backstory me might hear more of later. Great work!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
18:34 Jun 29, 2024

Personally, I struggled to write. I’m not sure why, but it was more like work. I kept saying, “1000 words. 1000 words.” 😂🤪

Reply

McKade Kerr
18:35 Jun 29, 2024

Haha, we’ve all had ones like that! 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Caruso
08:04 Jun 27, 2024

Such a sweet story...great tempo. I was particularly impressed with your ability to define your characters that I read it a second time-specifically looking for how you did it so well, especially since it's a short story with several characters. Well done!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:20 Jun 28, 2024

The secret is to write several short stories about them before this one. 🤣 Seriously, I know these characters. It's the iceberg principle. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Michelle Caruso
02:36 Jun 28, 2024

I saw that after I commented. I'm new here :) I'm looking forward to reading them all. But I still stand by my comment

Reply

Daniel Rogers
03:23 Jun 28, 2024

That's very kind, and welcome to reedsy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:20 Jun 25, 2024

Great lesson for us all wrapped up in a great tale. I like Lady Nimmo. She's kindhearted even if it's so obvious what her two-legged pirate means to her. She is not in denial. LOL. Lovely story again. It's amazing when we listen and find out how others think and feel. Often so different to what we imagine. Communication is the key. I put in a story to this prompt as well but didn't submit it to the competition. The submitted story is on a different aspect. Denial.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:48 Jun 26, 2024

She really is into Captain Arrow, but a little past trauma will have to be dealt with - I think. Hopefully the right prompt will come along. Thank you for reading and the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heather Rogers
00:01 Jun 24, 2024

The more we learn to listen, the better we hear. Father really does know best. =)

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:44 Jun 24, 2024

Yes he does. Well, at least Jor does 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:26 Jun 23, 2024

Listening is wise.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:43 Jun 24, 2024

A lesson I wish I learned earlier in life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
11:11 Jun 23, 2024

Well done, Lady Nimmo.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
12:01 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you, I appreciate your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.