A Change in The Blueprint

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a fairy tale about an outsider trying to fit in.... view prompt

1 comment

African American Fantasy Lesbian

Since the beginning of time, humans have been the only creatures to roam the earth. Well besides animals of course. Except humanity has never been that accepting of new things. They're afraid of things that are different. And god forbid you're something that they've been taught to hate.

So when Alex learned that there was more to the multiverse than just earth she had to take the chance to escape. She had already known since the time that she came out that she wouldn't be accepted. And considering that she's already African American she was already doing pretty bad on earth.

Humankind could never accept people for what they were, and so the best thing for her to do was leave. Now when she learned of the multiverse theory she didn't know for sure it was possible. Heck, she knew that people on earth hadn't even figured that science out yet. Until she found a portal already open that is.

And who was she to decline such an amazing opportunity to explore a new place and make new discovery's? But who was she kidding she just really wanted to leave Earth behind. So she did. She gathered all of the strength and energy she had and she took that leap. Yep, she took that leap alright, and on the other side of the portal was a small cliff.

Okay, it was a pretty big cliff. And when she took that leap it took her right over the edge of that cliff. Her vision was blinking in and out and she was trying to keep her eyes open. With blurry vision, she looked up to see a human-sized green blob with a tail. And that's all she saw before she passed out.

When she awoke she noticed two things. One was that she was most definitely in the forest or a wooded area of some kind. And two was that she was surrounded by different well, for the loss of a better term, furry's. Now in her mind, she knew that wasn't what they were but that's the only way she could explain it when she had just woken up.

It was obvious to her that they hadn't seen anything like her. And if it weren't for the people that looked like humans but with long pointy ear's she wouldn't have thought people knew anything about a species like hers.

"Um hello?" She said to the people staring at her. For some weird reason, she thought that her tongue was moving in weird ways. And this was probably because she was not speaking in her native tongue; not that she knew that.

Not long after she spoke a beautiful woman when with long blonde hair and 2 braids gong around her head stepped forward. She gave a kind smile a held out her hand to Alex.

For Alex, this was something that she didn't expect. This woman was smiling so kindly that it shocked her. On Earth, no one would ever do such a thing. As a matter of fact, if someone saw her lying asleep injured, some people would have just ignored her. And even worse some people may have taken advantage of her in that state.

She knew that she was different from these people and she was sure they knew she was different too. So why were they being so kind to her? She smiled at the thought of a society that wasn't so judgemental. It was clear to see if you looked around at the different species gathered around. There were so many different kinds and yet none of them were being judged and yelling at each other or arguing.

And none of them were judging her either. She slowly reached out her hand to the elf's (an educated guess based on the woman's ears) and grabbed onto her hand. The woman gently pulled her up and once again sent her a kind smile.

"Welcome to Asunaa. The place where dreams come true." She said calmly with her smooth and soothing voice.

And for some reason, I understood why she said this. The place where being different is good. The place where everyone is accepted with their flaws and all. I think It'll be nice here.

"Thank you. It's nice to meet you all." I smiled back. This is going to be my new home and I know that they'll accept me for who I am. Or will they? I mean yes they don't really care about what species you are but that doesn't mean anything If they find out I'm gay. Oh gosh, I'm definitely about to start panicking now.

The elf, who I'm assuming is the leader of the people, pulled my hand that she was still holding closer to her as she started walking. Not wanting my arm to be pulled I followed along. The people that were surrounding us moved out of the way as she pulled me along towards what looked like a large hut. Once inside the hut she pulled out a seat from the side of the room for me to sit on and then sat on her own.

"What happened to you? Where did you come from? What are you here?" She demanded from me. Okay wow, that's a big change in personality from how she was outside.

"I'm sorry if I scared you. I just want what's best for my people. Someone who just falls from the sky out of nowhere isn't exactly what we would call the norm." She explained, and I could tell that she meant it by the expression on her face.

"I don't really know how to explain this so If you get confused please tell me. I come from a place called Earth. The people on earth are generally okay but there are a lot of bad people there. Too many for a lot of people to feel safe. I wanted to leave Earth but I didn't really have a way to. That is, until I saw this colorful swirl that I concluded was a portal. And so me, wanting to leave earth an any way that I could took the chance and leaped through it."

"And that is how you fell through the sky I assume?" She questioned me.

"Yep!" I exclaimed feeling happy that I got the point across correctly.

"Well in that case you're basically a runaway. A refugee if you will. And we'll help take care of you like you're one of our own. No one deserves to be left behind." I started to tear up after she finished speaking. No one has made me feel as safe as she has already.

"Come along we need to announce you to the village. Camile, you can come out now and go ring the bell." I was confused about who she was talking to until a girl in a red hoodie stepped away from the wall.

"She's a chameleon. And yes she looks a lot like your species but she has special abilities. Take for instance the camaflouge that you just saw." Okay wow, that's so cool.

We both stood up and I followed her out the door as Camile went to ring the bell. It was a large golden-brown bell in the middle of the town/village. Once the bell had rung everyone started to gather around.

"Listen up folks, we've got a new kid in town. Make her feel welcome and at home." She stated making sure everyone understood to take care of Alex.

Everyone smiled and then started cheering. One person even yelled out "Welcome home new kid". It felt great to finally be appreciated.

Oh yes, this is definitely the start of a new adventure.

April 04, 2021 02:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rose Quartz
00:27 Apr 13, 2021

Amazing work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.