Contest #191 shortlist ⭐️

50 comments

Fantasy Friendship Holiday

The Toymaker. Thomas. The Prodigy. Taking the River Trail.


The dragonfly ornithopter remained still on the craftsman’s workbench. Inside its balsawood frame were scaled clockwork machinations - guts of miniaturized pistons, cranks, servos, and gears - that lay exposed in its abdomen. Four paper-thin metallic wings were secured to its thorax, and it had round eyes of polished purple kunzite.

The tiny marvel was surrounded by an assortment of fine, delicate tools, a visor of sliding loupe magnifying glasses, cabinets filled with spare parts, and stacks of liquid metal molds, all organized in a clean, orderly way.

Built-in shelves lined the workshop’s walls, where nearly every inch was reserved for another clockwork toy. A thin layer of dust covered rows of plush cuddly panda bears, tall free-standing giraffes, fierce mechanical dragons, packs of lions, hanging sloths, singing finches, crawling turtles, stalking bears, many dogs, cats, and mice, and a chestful of delicate insects like beetles and grasshoppers.

All were made of gears and magic, crafted by the loving attention of a toymaker, an artificer, whose name was Soso.

Soso was a tortle, a race who resembled a tortoise, bore massive shells on their backs, walked upright, and stood as tall as a Gaelwyn man. Waking from his annual winter hibernation, Soso stiffly shambled into his workshop carrying a wax candle in a brass picket made for the size of his thick fingers. His bald leathery head jutted out from his shell to look about. Soso’s nostrils flared, he ground his teeth, and his old black eyes blinked and refocused, mentally taking inventory to ensure all was as he remembered before retiring in the fall.

Resting the picket on the surface of his bench, Soso carefully brought the ornithopter into his palm, lifted it closer to his face, studied it, and smiled in a way that only a gentle, aged tortoise could smile.

Leaving the candle and taking a small iron turnkey hanging on the wall, he scaled the stone stairway leading from his basement with slow, deliberate steps, until he encountered a landing with a heavy wooden door. He leaned into it, shoving it open with his shoulder, and wandered outside.

Soso lived on a craggy hillside that overlooked a rocky green river valley. His home was made of stone boulders framed by sturdy timbers, anchored by heavy iron chains to the cliff face, and his property was surrounded by blooming cherry blossom trees that sent tufts of swirling pink petals spinning in the light mountain breeze. Soso lumbered to one of those trees to sit and rest at the base of its trunk, and turning to the east, he welcomed the warm morning sun breaking over the distant highland peaks with a comfortable sigh.

Ever since he was a boy, Soso made it his habit to re-embrace the world from his long slumber by playing with one of his toys. They weren’t much - few in the world even knew of Soso the Toymaker - but they were his delightful little creations, and they brought him great pride and happiness, all the same. They were the stuff of his imagination, the spark of creation, and he loved them beyond measure. Four hundred years on, Soso would wake, play with a toy, and remind himself of what it felt like to be a child again.

Inhaling a long, deliberate breath, he inserted the turnkey into the back of the ornithopter and gave the dragonfly three solid cranks. Activated, its gears meshed, tension was released, and its mechanical wings burst into a rapid flutter, so the ornithopter took to the sky. In flight, it made a high-pitched, mechanized whirling noise and buzzed about merrily in patterns of predictable concentric circles. Its fine metal wings and sparkly purple gemstone eyes glinted in the morning sun.

It was then that a crow landed in the cherry blossom tree above him.

“Good morning, Thomas,” greeted the toymaker, happily watching his ornithopter spin about him.

Thomas cawed, flapped his wings, and his head jerked right and left so that the bird could see Soso in either eye.

Soso gazed absently over the greening hillside. “I apologize. I sleep in longer these days.”

Thomas twitched his neck and said, “I wait not for the moon. It comes regardless.”

Soso smiled, watching the flight of his mechanical dragonfly. “What if we, er, held off? Just … one more year. Yes, another year, maybe?”  

The crow blinked and looked down upon Soso. “The essential state of the mountain is sand.”

Soso chuckled. “Of course. We all erode, don’t we? Just soil, carried away by the river.”

“You are a drowning fish,” Thomas said. The crow cawed, shivered, and preened his feathers.

Soso cocked his eyes upward and grinned, “Thomas, try not to spare my feelings about this, won’t you?”

“Turn from the sun so you might see.”

“Yes, yes, alright,” Soso waved dismissively, then he extended his hand. The dragonfly’s buzzing subsided and landed in his palm. Struggling to his legs, Soso asked, “Were you able to find him? Will he come?”

Thomas inched right and left on the tree branch. “The dog eats because it is hungry.”

“Good!” Soso said, holding the ornithopter and slapping the surface of his plastron with his other hand. “I-I should prepare. My notes, drawings, illustrations-”

Flapping his wings, Thomas flew from the branch to rest on the rim of Soso’s carapace above Soso’s head, and said, “Trees do not grow upside down.”

“Ah,” Soso frowned, thinking about it. “Right. I suppose he’ll already know what he needs-”

“Er, hullo! Master Soso?” gasped a breathless voice from behind Soso, and he turned to find a young halfling ascending the cliff-side trail and wearing a pack on his back. He had straight walnut brown hair tied in the back with a black ribbon and wore brass-rimmed goggles on his forehead. He used a walking stick and wore a blue and gold buccaneer jacket, a tan waistcoat, a prominent red scarf, tan breeches with a thick brown belt, and, of course, his calves and feet were bare. Out of breath, he paused, resting his hands on his knees. 

“Mister Teafellow,” Soso said in greeting, bowing his head and extending his tortoise-like arms. “Welcome to my home.”

Arty, if you don’t mind,” Artemis Teafellow said, wiping the sweat from under his goggles with a purple paisley handkerchief. “Great Green! I must say, that was quite a climb!”

“The goat doesn’t complain to the salmon when it drinks,” Thomas said ruefully.

Arty, his boyish smile fading, tucked his soiled cloth back into his jacket pocket and made a skewed face at the crow. “Er, pardon, wha-”

“Nevermind Thomas,” Soso said with an elderly smile, encouraging Artemis to walk with him. “I’m glad you could come.”

“The bird. Thomas, is it? He said it was urgent. I think,” Arty confirmed, eyeballing the strange crow atop Soso’s shell.

Soso wobbled his large mass toward his home, saying, “Yes. I’m afraid so, Arty. Come. I’d like to show you my workshop.”

“Really?” Artemis beamed. He was so eager, so excited, Arty let his walking stick fall to the ground and ran out ahead of Soso.

“It’s over here, son, the door,” Soso gestured, drawing Arty’s attention to where they needed to go.

Artemis arrived first at the large door. It was so heavy and massive, he couldn’t push it in and needed to wait for Soso to arrive. “It-it’s certainly an unexpected pleasure to meet you! The League considers your titles on clockwork engineering required reading.”

“Do they?” Soso grumbled, extending his arm and pressing his weight into the door. It opened with rickety, creaking complaints.

“Why yes! Apprentices are tested on your six basic biomechanical forms. You can’t take the Journeyman exams without-” Artemis explained, cheerfully poking his head inside the dark stairwell only to gasp and place a restraining hand over his mouth.

“Go on in,” Soso smiled, holding the door open for Arty as the halfling hesitantly descended the stairs; a near-religious experience for Artemis, it was as if he crossed a threshold to walk on holy ground. Slowly removing his scarf and jacket and allowing them to just drop to the stairs, Artemis Teafellow wandered awestruck into the workshops of one of the most renowned artificers who ever lived.

“S-Sir, er, Master, I-” Arty breathed, dumbstruck, trying to absorb everything he saw.

Thomas twerked his head and sighed, “A minnow, at the mouth of the sea.”

Soso chuckled at Thomas’ insightful observation and rested a comforting hand on Artemis’ shoulders, and whispered, “Go.”

Bolting forward, Artemis was like a child - in both size, wonderment, and stature - rushing to touch everything he saw. He didn’t even know where to begin. Yanking his brass goggles down over his eyes, Artemis pulled a clockwork lion off a shelf, blew on it to clear away the dust, and flipped through layers of magnifying lenses built into the brass housing to examine its intricacies. He was flabbergasted by its delicate gears, the tumblers, the springs and counterweights, and the seemingly simple construction of the quadrupedal hips and joints that were so difficult to replicate. Arty’s eyes, made big and wide by the concave lenses, were alight with the wonder of an inventor and the curiosity of a child. He poured over every inch of the toy, drew his fingertips along every curve, and, in understanding its construction, removed a turnkey of his own from his trouser pockets and cranked the belly of the lion six times. Crouching, Arty set it on the hardwood floor, and the lion pounced. It gave a tiny mechanical roar and lept forward, skittering on the floor as if racing across a savannah.

“Astonishing!” Artemis breathed, and, in grabbing a giraffe, he primed the mechanism with his turnkey and balanced its legs smartly against the floor. Activated, it walked with a gait similar to the beasts themselves, their necks dipping with each step.

It wasn’t long before Arty was crawling on the floor with Soso’s creations, surrounded by jumping grasshoppers, climbing metal beetles, a pack of wolves, two airborne finches flying in opposite directions of each other, and passed by a wandering giraffe. They were masterful works of art, every one, and they expressed themselves in ways an animal might. They were more than metal, silver, copper, and wood; their magic made them more than the sum of their parts.

Soso smiled kindly and leaned against his workbench, watching Arty laugh with joyful curiosity. Absentmindedly, he brushed the surface of his table with his hand, clearing it of the dust, and patted it. “Arty?”

Artemis’s mind was fully absorbed into the array of creatures whirling and clicking about him. He could sense their mechanical limitations, feel their relative states of clockwork tension, and inherently knew how they clicked. Unfortunately, he was also very distracted. 

“Arty!” Soso shouted, and, snapping out of his elation, Artemis stopped playing and turned to face Soso, lifting his goggles. Soso the Toymaker patted the workbench again, beckoning the halfling to come to him.

As Artemis approached, Soso placed his ornithopter on the workbench and whispered, “This one is precious. It is a favorite of mine. Very delicate. A wrong solder, a maladjusted spring, or just one bent or misaligned gear could ruin it. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Master,” Artemis said, staring at the dragonfly in a way that reverently appreciated its simple perfection.

Soso grinned and nodded. “I have but one test for you, boy, and the answer’s nothing you’d read in any one of my books. Fix it. Its flight could be … improved. Show me.”

Artemis backed away from the workbench, astonished. “Oh, sir, I-I couldn’t possibly, er, I wouldn’t-”

Soso patiently cocked his eyebrow, and Thomas rustled his feathers above Soso’s head.

Biting his lip, Artemis’ gaze went back to the dragonfly. “Right.”

Adjusting his goggles and removing two steel-tipped tools from his sleeve pockets, he carefully poked the segmented abdomen to hold it steady, and he peered at the device. He marveled at its precision, the placement of the pinions, its rollers, and balance springs. Licking his lips, fully knowing he could destroy its whole system with an errant flick of his wrist, Arty steadied himself, looked closer, and imagined how a dragonfly flies.

Artemis could feel the way the machine’s components integrated, and he imagined how each part of its system would integrate and work together to produce lift. Feeling the inconsistency between what he imagined and how the system would work, as a whole, Arty withdrew another tool from his sleeve. He inserted its sharp, steely tip through the thorax, and - extremely carefully - touched the edge of the escape wheel. He played it to the right and left, feeling its torque, and closed his eyes to imagine how it rotated and slipped. It was a soft metal - gold - and it could be, very slightly, altered, without disassembling the entire creature. Wincing, he inhaled, barely capable of breathing, and he gently pressed inward to change the angle of just one of the grooves.

“There,” Artemis said, setting down his tool.

Nodding appreciatively, Soso asked, “Are you sure?”

Now second-guessing himself, Artemis reached for his tools but was stopped by a friendly restraint from Soso. “Let’s try it.”

Soso, picking up the dragonfly to insert his turnkey, twisted three times, and the unit buzzed to life. Releasing it into the air, the dragonfly flew to the right, then, hovered, then flew up, then hovered, then flew to the left, and hovered. And instead of flying in concentric circles, the clockwork dragonfly worked more like a dragonfly.

Artemis raised his goggles and looked up at Soso, who was still gawking at the ornithopter’s near-perfect movements.

Thomas shuddered, turned his head to watch the dragonfly, and repeated, “Trees do not grow upside down.”

Soso chortled, watching the device dart around in a three-dimensional square. “Son, there are things the League can teach, and there are things you can learn, but this … this is knowing.”

Artemis expressed concern and looked up at Master Soso and folded his arms. “But … why, sir?”

Soso stepped away from his workbench and glanced at the floor. “I must leave, Arty, it is unavoidable, and when I leave, there are those within the League who will know that I’m gone. They will come, here, and they will take my toys. They will learn how they work, and how their own inventions might be improved. However, instead of toys-”

“-they would make weapons,” Artemis growled, coming to see the truth behind his visit.

Soso sighed and still nailed his eyes to the floor. “Waves of weaponized automatons, aiding the armies of Man, dealing death. Efficiently wasting the living.”

His arms still folded, Artemis whispered, “But why me?”

Soso chuckled and looked to Arty. “Isn’t it obvious? You are a halfling, the walking, breathing spirit of childhood taken form on this earth. There is no safer home for my toys than with you.”

Artemis’ blood ran cold, and he slowly craned his neck over the workbench to see Soso’s creations waddling, walking, stalking, and flying in the adjacent room.

“You will only improve them, Arty, I know it,” Soso kindly smiled and patted the halfling on his shoulder. The elderly tortoise paused, and, his voice breaking, said, “Take them. All of them. Everything. Be kind. Do good work. Your best. Delight others, but in particular, children. Build them toys. Bring unto them goodwill, hope, and love.”

“Master Soso,” Artemis muttered, uncertain of what to say.

Thomas’ eyes darted down at the halfling as Soso turned and made his way up the stairwell.

“No, no, sir, wait, I appreciate it, sincerely,” Artemis countered, waving his hands exasperatedly, “it’s just, I-I, well, Great Green, where will you go?”

Climbing the stairs, Soso cracked open the heavy door, turned his head, and said, “South. Beyond Shae Tahrane. It’s warmer there.”

Exiting, Soso the Toymaker painfully leaned over to pick up Artemis’ walking stick. Its comparative size made it function more for him like a cane. He patted it into the soil, leaned into it, and wobbled to the trail along the side of the cliff. Taking in the morning view, Soso inhaled a long, drawn-out breath, remembering this place, before extending his forearm so that Thomas could land on it.

Thomas’ head twitched, and he said, “When the crane leaves, the salamanders rejoice.”

Soso looked skeptically at Thomas and reached out with his fingertip to gently slide open a tiny door behind Thomas’ skull, exposing the finest, the most minute of gears, wheels, and springs, all synchronously twitching and clicking. Poking at a tumbler with a fingernail, Soso grunted, closed the access door, and patted down the sleeve of feathers.

Thomas shook his head, shuddered, and cawed, his memory engrams reset.

“I feel alive,” Thomas said, his neck twitching, and his black eyes looking up at Soso.

“That’s better. And so do I, Thomas,” Master Soso the Toymaker smiled, leaving his home for the last time to take the trail down to the river.


March 26, 2023 22:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

50 comments

Laurel Hanson
18:59 Apr 07, 2023

Great worldbuilding here. Love the cautionary tale, sort of a fantastical Prometheus legend in a Tolkein-esque world.

Reply

Russell Mickler
19:15 Apr 07, 2023

Rock on - thank you, Laurel - very kind of you to say :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
16:22 Apr 07, 2023

Congrats on yet another shortlist. 👏👏

Reply

Russell Mickler
16:43 Apr 07, 2023

Thank you, Viga - :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
14:07 Apr 06, 2023

Wonderful, Russell! If they - whoever they is - didn't always say 'nothing's perfect.' I'd say this is perfect. The prose that alone would keep a reader reading; the characters, fully formed and engaging; the imaginative new world, not just toys but something entirely new (I want one); and the storyline, fully realized and a joy - I'm sorry but it's perfect!

Reply

Russell Mickler
15:01 Apr 06, 2023

Hi Susan! Extremely kind of you to say - I'm very glad you enjoyed it! I'm working on a novella-length story involving Artemis for release in the summer - it was fun to write a piece of his origin story :) Again, thank you :) R

Reply

Susan Catucci
12:42 Apr 08, 2023

I told you it was perfect! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! Who says there's no such thing as perfection - how gratifying to see reward well deserved. Perfection is when things align and your story and the short list did just that (though I would have given it top prize, of course) Ah well, nothing's . . .

Reply

Russell Mickler
14:19 Apr 08, 2023

Giggle - if it perfectly delighted you and brought you and others joy, Susan, then it did its work. :) And you're too kind to say so. As there are so many good submissions to Reedsy every week - hundreds of folks with new and exciting voices - I don't envy the judges, but I'm grateful this one resonated. Thank you :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shaivi S.
00:40 Apr 06, 2023

This piece, with all the vivid descriptions, engaging dialogue, and conceivable characters truly make Soso such a legendary read! To be able to paint a magical picture as detailed as such within a short story is a talent. Loved following Soso's story. Great job!

Reply

Russell Mickler
01:01 Apr 06, 2023

Hi Shaivi - Yay! I'm so glad you liked it! Thank you for the time to read and comment! :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
18:31 Apr 01, 2023

Hi Russell, This is my favorite so far. I was really brought into the story world, much like Tolkien in my view, envisioning characters, letting the gears and magic of the story unfold in my mind. I also agree about a strong hint of Bradbury. If anything, you expanding on the poetic language would be great, a whole additional layer. And yes, the wonder of childhood was achieved. A turtle Bilbo Baggins solving the dangers of the dark forces using the toys for weapons? But will Soso win? I imagine all kinds of adventures keeping the toys fro...

Reply

Russell Mickler
18:48 Apr 01, 2023

Hi Jack - Wow that’s so wonderful for you to say :) his work started out as bedtime stories for his children, and I’ve always loved that idea when I write my stuff. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment - glad it resonated :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:07 Mar 28, 2023

This is a magical well-crafted story filled with delightful characters and hidden depths. It immersed me in another world. A great response to the prompt.

Reply

Russell Mickler
14:36 Mar 28, 2023

Hi there, Helen! Thank you so very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate it. I was a little concerned that the story didn't give enough texture and depth - as compared to my other stories - as I was pressed with the word constraint. I'm so very glad you found it immersive :) All the best - R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
20:27 Mar 27, 2023

Inside Info for the Curious! 1. The cherry blossom trees and Zen-like koans offered by Thomas are a nod to the Japanese theme of this week's prompt. 2. Soso is a tortle, a race in role-playing games, that resembles an anthropomorphized tortoise. Soso was an artificer non-player character that I created for a D&D campaign that I ran in 2022. This version of Soso is much older and a toymaker, and varied a bit from my NPC, but the character's spirit is the same. 3. When I drafted Thomas, I pictured the automaton so _perfect_ that it's consci...

Reply

Geir Westrul
17:46 Apr 02, 2023

I loved this story (see my comment below), and appreciate the insights on your writing process. That makes it even more special.

Reply

Russell Mickler
20:49 Apr 02, 2023

Fantastic! I’ll be including this kind of thing on all of my stories now :) Thanks again - R

Reply

Geir Westrul
14:29 Apr 03, 2023

Russell, I like that. On my website, I include a separate blog post for each story with the writing process (I'm running a few behind, so I need to do some catching up). You could do something similar since you have your website for the stories. With your appreciation for steampunk, you might enjoy this story which is alchemy + steampunk, and also see how I do the writing process blog post: STORY: "The Clockwork Craven" - https://www.storybuzz.com/blog/short-story-the-clockwork-craven WRITING PROCESS blog post: https://www.storybuzz.com/...

Reply

Russell Mickler
15:58 Apr 03, 2023

Hey there - thank you Geir! That's your website? Very cool! Also looks like you offer up online storytelling courses? I do something similar with my site, too! I'll end up writing a story and, if I'm likely to take it into some form of commercial release, I'll write an author's note around it on my blog. I haven't written an entry for Soso yet, but I intend to! This is an entry for an earlier story, The Magnificent Maron Maloney ... https://www.black-anvil-books.com/blog/authors-note-the-magnificent-maron-maloney Mine isn't as thorough a...

Reply

Geir Westrul
17:59 Apr 09, 2023

Thank for the follow, and I'm a fan already, so I'll be reading more in the Black Anvil world. My stuff on StoryBUZZ.com is not a cohesive world, it's a potpourri of different inspirations and exploration. And, yes, I offer a free course, nothing paid (yet) at www.storybuzz.com/faster

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
17:36 Mar 30, 2023

That is a beautiful and touching story — it reminded me of the wonder I found in Ray Bradbury’s work. I’m old enough to remember the great, magical wonder of the toy store tucked into the lower level of the ‘60s shopping plaza near my grandparents. It was packed with EVERYTHING cool, and next to the library branch (the plaza had an escalator — so futuristic for the time!). Thanks not only for another wonderful tale, but for also spurring lovely memories.

Reply

Russell Mickler
17:57 Mar 30, 2023

(Falling out of my chair, grasping my heart) - OH! Martin, you've so made my day! Artemis' stories are supposed to do exactly that, the magic of playing with toys and remembering childhood (squeeeee!) ... That's the character's whole schtick! You like so validated my concept right here! :) I'm so glad that's what it reminded you of, thank you! That's so awesome! (doing a little jig) ... When I re-write it, I think I'm going to triple its wording - I had to cut so many ideas out of Soso before I could publish it here because of the 3k li...

Reply

Martin Ross
18:08 Mar 30, 2023

That’s a great idea — so many riches in Soso’s story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
14:34 Mar 28, 2023

My landing page for this work can be found at: https://www.black-anvil-books.com/soso As always, thanks for reading, and thanks for sticking around. R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Irene Duchess
02:31 Mar 28, 2023

aww. this was a sweet story, Russel. at first I had kind of thought Thomas wasn't alive, but as the story went on I started thinking he was alive... until the end. :D thanks for sharing!! :)

Reply

Russell Mickler
02:34 Mar 28, 2023

Grin - thank you, Lilah! I was just reading it aloud to someone, and she's like, "OMG You _killed_ Thomas!" I'm like, "I didn't _kill_ Thomas. He's a toy. I _reset_ Thomas so he wouldn't be so annoying." Grin - did you think I _killed_ Thomas, when you read the last part? grin ... My beta reader here is saying, "You wiped out its memory, you killed who he was, etc..." hehehe R

Reply

Irene Duchess
02:51 Mar 28, 2023

hehe really? that's hysterical. :D no I didn't really think he was killed. I mean, Thomas never died... he just basically had his memory wiped. although, to be honest, which is worse?

Reply

Russell Mickler
03:12 Mar 28, 2023

Well, I'm glad you didn't have that initial reaction! Sure, we erased the _enlightened_ consciousness of a toy, but A., it is just a toy no matter how advanced, B., Thomas has an opportunity to learn again, and C., be a better travel companion :) I mean, how tedious would it be to be road-tripping with a Koan-spouting crow? giggle... Thank you so much for reading :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
22:11 Mar 27, 2023

So I assume this is part of the world you created that your last story was set in? In the library? I am sorry, I don't remember the character names. It is a rich world, full of wonder. I like the uniqueness of your characters, especially Thomas who I didn't understand at all, but he made me smile anyway. I would not have guessed that Thomas wasn't alive. He is portrayed so realistic until the end, and his stating "I feel alive" at that point of the story has the right feel in my opinion. I like this world and I like the characters. Be in...

Reply

Russell Mickler
23:19 Mar 27, 2023

Hi Kevin! Thanks so much for reading and commenting! YES! Same world, different place, new people :) Thomas was, in fact, one of Soso's toys, just a sophisticated toy, which was the big reveal at the end. I saw him as like a 200 year old robot who achieved near enlightenment and just spoke in Zen koans. I wrote a little diddy about it here in the comments ... Anyhow, thank you for reading and commenting on my crap, always greatly appreciated! R

Reply

Kevin V
00:00 Mar 28, 2023

Ahhh, Russell, these stories are many things, but 'crap' isn't one of them! Many years ago I used to read a lot of fantasy novels, though not a whole lot that delved into D & D, which I've never tried. Sword and Sorcery I suppose was mostly my thing (Conan the Barbarian) as well as science fiction. Still, having a rich world for story building seemed key to many of these, and I believe you have that here. It wouldn't surprise me if you had a fairly detailed map. I don't recall if I mentioned it in your last story, but I found the concept of ...

Reply

Russell Mickler
00:28 Mar 28, 2023

Hehe Conan was my first comic book! And I grew up reading scifi and fantasy as well. And gosh, it's as if you know me! One highly detailed map and setting write-ups: https://www.black-anvil-books.com/setting I'm glad you liked the Library of the Dead ... thank you - it's wonderful for you to say that stuck with you. :) R

Reply

Kevin V
01:06 Mar 28, 2023

I guess I expected the map to be handwritten. Pretty impressive Russell. Took me a minute to realize the whole site is yours. You self publish under Black Anvil?

Reply

Russell Mickler
01:11 Mar 28, 2023

Yes! Black Anvil is my author platform/self-publishing imprint :) And yeah, I'm a bit of a techie, so I leverage my tech background in creating content like the Inkarnate map ...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
15:41 Mar 27, 2023

Updated 2023.03.27.

Reply

Show 0 replies
SCOTT GEORGE
12:11 Apr 23, 2023

I loved this story and found your character breakdowns on your website. I hope to find more stories about these characters in the future!

Reply

Russell Mickler
13:17 Apr 23, 2023

Hi Scott! Hey, thanks so much for reading and checking out my site! I've outlined a 40k-word novella for Artemis that I intend to write as a summer project. I'm trying to get a long-form story off my desk beforehand, though, because having two long-forms happening at the same time drives me bonkers :) I write my long-form work as a set of intermingled stories that combine into one larger story. Artemis is the central character, and we'll be joining him during a moment of triumph - and suspicion - at something like a world's fair for inv...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laarni Odsey
03:32 Apr 19, 2023

The worldbuilding reminded me of a Brandon Sanderson book and Thomas of a character in a Neil Gaiman book! Two of my favorite authors in one story! I really enjoyed it.

Reply

Russell Mickler
03:44 Apr 19, 2023

Wow, Laarni, tremendously high praise - I love them both, too! It’s so wonderful for you to say - thank you so much for reading - and taking the time to comment :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
02:01 Apr 10, 2023

Lots of love for this one Russell. It’s so evocative and whimsical but with a powerful message as well. SoSo is a great character so real and alive in my mind. The contrast between is slow methodical movements and precision of actions with the spritely energy of the halfling was wonderfully crafted through your words. “Inhaling a long, deliberate breath, he inserted the turnkey into the back of the ornithopter.” Soso is slow and deliberate. “He inserted its sharp, steely tip through the thorax, and - extremely carefully - touched the edge...

Reply

Russell Mickler
02:17 Apr 10, 2023

Laugh - we seem to be in a reciprocal "let's read each other's stuff" moment :) Thank you so much for commenting and noticing these differences between the characters - I'm really glad it resonated for you :) R

Reply

Michelle Oliver
02:28 Apr 10, 2023

Yep, I am on holidays looking for escapism and your stories resonate with me. I really want to have the time to sit down and formulate a response to your work, which I don’t seem to get the time for in the middle of the work week. These holidays seem the perfect opportunity to devote my whole attention to your work and respond in a manner they deserve.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
20:27 Apr 09, 2023

Congrats on being shortlisted 👍

Reply

Russell Mickler
21:52 Apr 09, 2023

Thank you, Helen! :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Geir Westrul
17:48 Apr 02, 2023

This was a fantastic story. I very quickly found myself immersed in the worldbuilding and the characters. Thomas the koan-ing automaton crow was my favorite character, but of course Artemis and Soso are also great. I don't think I have ever read a story set in a world that feels both fantasy Tolkien-esque and steampunk at the same time. Love it!

Reply

Russell Mickler
20:47 Apr 02, 2023

Hey Geir! Wow that’s a ton of complements, thank you! Im really glad you liked the piece, and heck, you’ve proven to me the character concepts work! Amazeballs! I Super-appreciate your time and kind words :) thank you - R

Reply

Geir Westrul
17:56 Apr 09, 2023

Russell, congratulations on the shortlist! Well deserved. This is such a great story, characters, and worldbuilding.

Reply

Russell Mickler
20:07 Apr 09, 2023

Grin - thank you, Geir! :) R

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.