190 comments

Drama Mystery

Author's Note: I am aware that this story doesn't go with this prompt, but it didn't go with any of them, so I just picked this one. So please don't give feedback based on the prompt. I hope you enjoy this story anyway! Thanks! :D

Dear Diary,

Hello again. This is Johanna. I got out of the home for troubled teenagers like myself a week ago. I am staying with Joanne and David (Eileen and Ronald’s parents) in their home until the court holds my trial. Then, the judge will decide if I will be sent to juvy or not. I don’t know why I wouldn’t be, but you never know I guess. Joanne and David got me a lawyer. I explained everything to them, but they’re still being nice to me and helping me with a lot of things. Why? I don’t understand. Like, they should be punishing me 24/7. I’m scared of my trial. I know that I deserve to go to juvy, but I have weakened. I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle it. -Johanna

Dear Loretta,

This is Joanne Dlovay. I am writing to you about the upcoming trial that you are defending Johanna Yoziak. Things have been very difficult for me, and also David. We are sure that Johanna is confused about this entire situation. So, we want to do everything in our ability to help make this better for her. We do not want her in a juvenile detention center, even if what she did is terrible. It’s not her fault; it is her father’s poor decisions. I hope that you can help us with this. Enclosed inside of this envelope is a check for your work. Thank you.

Yours truly,

Joanne Dlovay

3 weeks later…

Dear Diary,

Hello. This is Johanna, yet again. My trial was a week ago. My lawyer was great, and she was very nice. Even to me. After loads of going back and forth with the lawyer, the judge said I wasn’t guilty. Yeah, you read me. NOT GUILTY. Loretta has some magic. But I’m still worried that I’ll get sent there somehow anyway. I don’t know. I don’t know anything anymore. -Johanna

Hello Johanna,

This is David and Joanne writing to you. As you read this, Joanne and I will have already left. We are taking a weekend trip to my mother’s home, as we have not been able to talk to her since the accidents happened.

We are leaving you with the responsibility to take care of the house while we are gone, and not to leave the house unless it is an absolute emergency. At the bottom of this letter is both Joanne and I’s phone numbers in case you need anything. We are just one call away.

Again, no one blames you for the things that happened. And we are proving this by trusting you to stay by yourself.

Sincerely,

Joanne and David

Dear Diary,

Last time when I told you that an entry would be my last one, it turned out not to be. Joanne and David have left for a weekend trip to David’s mother house, which means I am alone. This is my last entry, Diary. Joanne and David will have you from now on. Goodbye for the last time. -Johanna.Hello Pastor Leah,

This is Joanne Dlovay. My husband (David Dlovay) and I went on a weekend trip this past weekend. We trusted Johanna Yoziak to stay at our house and take care of it while we were away. Of course you know who she is, and what kind of background she has. But she had definitely shown improvement since she started to stay with us. We had done all we could to help her, but on Sunday, when David and I arrived at home, Johanna was nowhere to be seen. We called her cell multiple times, but after she didn’t answer and didn’t come back for hours, we knew. David and I immediately drove to the bridge where I found her that one night, and there was a diary sitting on the sidewalk. On the front cover, there was a label that said “To: Joanne and David Dlovay”. That diary ended up being Johanna’s, and we figured it all out.

Now for the reason that I am writing this letter: we would like you to hold Johanna’s memorial at your church. My family and I agreed that we would like you to speak. We will pay you no matter how much it costs. Thank you.

Yours truly,

Joanne Dlovay

Joanne Dlovay-

Hello again. This is Pastor Leah, responding to your devastating letter about the late Johanna Yoziak. I am so sorry to hear about this loss. I, of course, will hold the memorial. With knowledge of how deep this situation goes, I will make sure that no one else is in the church at the time that we hold the memorial.

I know that this is a time that people grieve, but I sadly have to know all of the upsetting details. In your reply, please tell me as much as you can about Johanna’s life.

Thank you and God bless,

Pastor Leah

Dear Pastor Leah,

Thank you for doing this for us. It means so much. I know very little about Johanna, except for what I have gathered since Ronald passed away.

-Johanna has lived with her father since she was a newborn, as her mother passed away just minutes after she was born.

-Her father is an ex-murderer, because he is now in jail for life.

-Johanna had the most bright blue eyes in the world, that always pierced your own, no matter what emotion she was feeling.

-She really was great friends with my children, and Pastor Gene, and would have never murdered them if it wasn’t for her father.

That is all I know. Thank you again for all of this.

Your friend,

Joanne Dlovay

2 weeks later…

Dear Johanna,

Why did you do it? We would have helped you with whatever. You should have known that. You shouldn’t have jumped. It was the wrong thing to do. So many people miss you. You had friends. Best friends. Over one hundred people attended your memorial. There was no reason for this to happen. Your grief and your guiltiness shouldn’t have taken over. The fact that you were better should have taken over. Joanne and I blamed you in no way. It was your father’s doing, not yours. I do hope that you knew this. None of it was your fault. None. I know that you were truly friends with Ronald and Eileen. They would always come home from hanging out with you and smile, talking about all of the fun things you did. Ever since you were babies. I can’t imagine what your father had to do to make you do those terrible things. And Pastor Gene. He was such a kind old man. I know you loved him. Everyone did. I am so sorry about everything that has happened in the last few months. Say hi to Ronald and Eileen up in Heaven for me.

Love,

  David Dlovay

September 02, 2020 21:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

190 comments

Evelyn ⭐️
19:30 Sep 12, 2020

Hey Brooke! What happened to the sequel that was supposed to come out?

Reply

18:25 Sep 13, 2020

I am so sorry! I got very busy, so I just submitted it today!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
22:09 Sep 13, 2020

Ok, no problem I understand!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anshika Goyal
20:04 Sep 11, 2020

I loved your story!! Congrats on the concept. The story is well-written and oh- those dialogue tags make me feel like an observer. I hope I can write like You T_T I am a newbie here, and I would love it if you check out two of my recent stories;)

Reply

18:27 Sep 13, 2020

Thanks so much, Anshika! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
11:27 Sep 10, 2020

Omg yes, I remember reading this story, it's totally one that stuck with me. I love the letter format, it adds so much to the overall story. Knowing more about what happened to Johanna was something I didn't know I needed. And oof that last letter, you did such a good job at building up to that. Amazing work as always, Brooke! If you have the time, I would love to hear your feedback on my recent story. Well technically my recent story is 'Dawn Breaks Open With a Blood Red Sun', but it's a part two to 'Dancing With a Winged Ghost' so I would...

Reply

20:39 Sep 10, 2020

Thanks so much, Yolanda! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
04:11 Sep 09, 2020

Wonderful story.I like the ending.Great job👍keep it up.It was a sad story . Would you mind reading my new story “The dragon warrior part 2?”(I have still time to edit)

Reply

21:03 Sep 09, 2020

Thanks so much, Sahitthian! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:34 Sep 04, 2020

Wow, this was soo good! I loved it! Great job!

Reply

16:45 Sep 07, 2020

Thanks a ton, Avery!

Reply

Avery G.
02:48 Sep 08, 2020

You're welcome!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:51 Sep 02, 2020

This is SO good! The cool journal was of writing it was awesome!! Keep it up!

Reply

21:52 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks a ton, Kylie!

Reply

22:27 Sep 03, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.