190 comments

Drama Mystery

Author's Note: I am aware that this story doesn't go with this prompt, but it didn't go with any of them, so I just picked this one. So please don't give feedback based on the prompt. I hope you enjoy this story anyway! Thanks! :D

Dear Diary,

Hello again. This is Johanna. I got out of the home for troubled teenagers like myself a week ago. I am staying with Joanne and David (Eileen and Ronald’s parents) in their home until the court holds my trial. Then, the judge will decide if I will be sent to juvy or not. I don’t know why I wouldn’t be, but you never know I guess. Joanne and David got me a lawyer. I explained everything to them, but they’re still being nice to me and helping me with a lot of things. Why? I don’t understand. Like, they should be punishing me 24/7. I’m scared of my trial. I know that I deserve to go to juvy, but I have weakened. I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle it. -Johanna

Dear Loretta,

This is Joanne Dlovay. I am writing to you about the upcoming trial that you are defending Johanna Yoziak. Things have been very difficult for me, and also David. We are sure that Johanna is confused about this entire situation. So, we want to do everything in our ability to help make this better for her. We do not want her in a juvenile detention center, even if what she did is terrible. It’s not her fault; it is her father’s poor decisions. I hope that you can help us with this. Enclosed inside of this envelope is a check for your work. Thank you.

Yours truly,

Joanne Dlovay

3 weeks later…

Dear Diary,

Hello. This is Johanna, yet again. My trial was a week ago. My lawyer was great, and she was very nice. Even to me. After loads of going back and forth with the lawyer, the judge said I wasn’t guilty. Yeah, you read me. NOT GUILTY. Loretta has some magic. But I’m still worried that I’ll get sent there somehow anyway. I don’t know. I don’t know anything anymore. -Johanna

Hello Johanna,

This is David and Joanne writing to you. As you read this, Joanne and I will have already left. We are taking a weekend trip to my mother’s home, as we have not been able to talk to her since the accidents happened.

We are leaving you with the responsibility to take care of the house while we are gone, and not to leave the house unless it is an absolute emergency. At the bottom of this letter is both Joanne and I’s phone numbers in case you need anything. We are just one call away.

Again, no one blames you for the things that happened. And we are proving this by trusting you to stay by yourself.

Sincerely,

Joanne and David

Dear Diary,

Last time when I told you that an entry would be my last one, it turned out not to be. Joanne and David have left for a weekend trip to David’s mother house, which means I am alone. This is my last entry, Diary. Joanne and David will have you from now on. Goodbye for the last time. -Johanna.Hello Pastor Leah,

This is Joanne Dlovay. My husband (David Dlovay) and I went on a weekend trip this past weekend. We trusted Johanna Yoziak to stay at our house and take care of it while we were away. Of course you know who she is, and what kind of background she has. But she had definitely shown improvement since she started to stay with us. We had done all we could to help her, but on Sunday, when David and I arrived at home, Johanna was nowhere to be seen. We called her cell multiple times, but after she didn’t answer and didn’t come back for hours, we knew. David and I immediately drove to the bridge where I found her that one night, and there was a diary sitting on the sidewalk. On the front cover, there was a label that said “To: Joanne and David Dlovay”. That diary ended up being Johanna’s, and we figured it all out.

Now for the reason that I am writing this letter: we would like you to hold Johanna’s memorial at your church. My family and I agreed that we would like you to speak. We will pay you no matter how much it costs. Thank you.

Yours truly,

Joanne Dlovay

Joanne Dlovay-

Hello again. This is Pastor Leah, responding to your devastating letter about the late Johanna Yoziak. I am so sorry to hear about this loss. I, of course, will hold the memorial. With knowledge of how deep this situation goes, I will make sure that no one else is in the church at the time that we hold the memorial.

I know that this is a time that people grieve, but I sadly have to know all of the upsetting details. In your reply, please tell me as much as you can about Johanna’s life.

Thank you and God bless,

Pastor Leah

Dear Pastor Leah,

Thank you for doing this for us. It means so much. I know very little about Johanna, except for what I have gathered since Ronald passed away.

-Johanna has lived with her father since she was a newborn, as her mother passed away just minutes after she was born.

-Her father is an ex-murderer, because he is now in jail for life.

-Johanna had the most bright blue eyes in the world, that always pierced your own, no matter what emotion she was feeling.

-She really was great friends with my children, and Pastor Gene, and would have never murdered them if it wasn’t for her father.

That is all I know. Thank you again for all of this.

Your friend,

Joanne Dlovay

2 weeks later…

Dear Johanna,

Why did you do it? We would have helped you with whatever. You should have known that. You shouldn’t have jumped. It was the wrong thing to do. So many people miss you. You had friends. Best friends. Over one hundred people attended your memorial. There was no reason for this to happen. Your grief and your guiltiness shouldn’t have taken over. The fact that you were better should have taken over. Joanne and I blamed you in no way. It was your father’s doing, not yours. I do hope that you knew this. None of it was your fault. None. I know that you were truly friends with Ronald and Eileen. They would always come home from hanging out with you and smile, talking about all of the fun things you did. Ever since you were babies. I can’t imagine what your father had to do to make you do those terrible things. And Pastor Gene. He was such a kind old man. I know you loved him. Everyone did. I am so sorry about everything that has happened in the last few months. Say hi to Ronald and Eileen up in Heaven for me.

Love,

  David Dlovay

September 02, 2020 21:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

190 comments

B. W.
17:01 Sep 11, 2020

Brooke its out :D go check out "adventure with friends" and "crossover" and tell me what ya think ^^

Reply

18:28 Sep 13, 2020

Yay! I will!

Reply

B. W.
18:32 Sep 13, 2020

yay ^^ remember to tell me what ya think

Reply

18:33 Sep 13, 2020

I will! ^^

Reply

B. W.
18:37 Sep 13, 2020

Alright ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
08:04 Sep 09, 2020

Hey Brooke a nice story. Happy 50th story too

Reply

21:03 Sep 09, 2020

Thanks and thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:29 Sep 03, 2020

This story was so awesome! Great job! The journal-style was super creative and cool!

Reply

21:45 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks a ton, Blair!

Reply

15:35 Sep 04, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:48 Sep 02, 2020

Wow! Amazing story! I also loved the diary/letter format and thought it gave a deeper meaning to the story this way. It caught my eye from the beginning, and though it doesn't go with the prompt, it is clearly a very deserving story! Keep writing Brooke!!! -owly a.k.a. johanna

Reply

21:54 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks a ton, Owly! Wait, your name is Johanna? XD That's funny!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lulu Lemon
21:06 Sep 02, 2020

Great story! I think you JUST posted this because I refreshed my page and BOOM it was here. Anyway... great job! It was super cool how you did it in a diary/letter format! I thought it was super smart and creative!

Reply

21:10 Sep 02, 2020

Yup, I did! Thank you so much!

Reply

21:12 Sep 02, 2020

And I want to go spam you with likes, but you don't have any stories yet! :( I hope you come out with some soon! :D

Reply

Lulu Lemon
21:15 Sep 02, 2020

Awww! Thank you so much! Me too! I will hopefully have one out this week or next week! :)

Reply

21:16 Sep 02, 2020

My pleasure! Crossing my fingers! :D

Reply

Lulu Lemon
21:18 Sep 02, 2020

Me too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lulu Lemon
21:13 Sep 02, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:00 Oct 22, 2020

heyyyy

Reply

23:24 Oct 22, 2020

Hi!

Reply

B. W.
23:42 Oct 22, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

20:30 Oct 23, 2020

Bien. Como estas?

Reply

B. W.
20:31 Oct 23, 2020

uh- i'm good as well?

Reply

20:32 Oct 23, 2020

Good answer, good answer! XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:53 Sep 30, 2020

wait aww- i just saw the 'top reedsy people' thing. does that just mean we're some of your Reedsy friends or something?

Reply

11:16 Sep 30, 2020

Yup! I'm just switching out my favorite Reedsy friends and supporters, probably around once a week. :D

Reply

B. W.
13:26 Sep 30, 2020

awww :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
14:53 Sep 16, 2020

Brooke i think i need some help, i think someone's been down-voting me a bit

Reply

19:49 Sep 16, 2020

Well, that's rude. What do you need me to do?

Reply

B. W.
19:50 Sep 16, 2020

i don't think you'd be able to help with the down-voting but its with something else, you know that novel i'm working on right?

Reply

19:51 Sep 16, 2020

I know. I'm sorry. Yup! Whatcha need?

Reply

B. W.
19:56 Sep 16, 2020

Well i wanna add some romance with Harlow and Willow because i think it would be cute but i have no idea how to do romance or how to get ideas, so i need help with that and maybe a near death or an actual death

Reply

20:23 Sep 16, 2020

Well, I agree that romance is something that is pretty hard to do. I would say that you could combine the two. There could be a near-death experience that both Harlow and Willow experience, and their relationship just starts there.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:21 Sep 16, 2020

Sooo what do you think of her personalities and what she looks like? is it good, and why did ya wanna know what she looks like? just for a description or soemthing?

Reply

19:54 Sep 17, 2020

Yeah, for description. I promise, I am not a creep, I don't want to know what you look like. Just what you want your character to look like. And yeah, I would like some ideas for her different personalities.

Reply

B. W.
19:58 Sep 17, 2020

Oh gosh i kinda just asked again so sorry if ya see it again, and that's fully how i look like that's just how the character looks like and with the different personalities do you think you'll be fine when ya do em?

Reply

19:59 Sep 17, 2020

It's okay. Yup, I can definitely work with your personality ideas. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:57 Sep 19, 2020

Wait so with Olivia did she just move somewhere and is new to the school?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:01 Sep 15, 2020

Brooke ^^ check out "Universe" and tell me what ya think its like a preview thing for my actual novel with the first and second chapter

Reply

23:45 Sep 15, 2020

I will.

Reply

B. W.
23:46 Sep 15, 2020

Yay ^^ remember to leave some feedback, i wanna see what ya have to say and maybe there could be some advice for it

Reply

23:46 Sep 15, 2020

I will ^^

Reply

B. W.
23:46 Sep 15, 2020

alright thanks ^^

Reply

23:48 Sep 15, 2020

no problem

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:21 Sep 14, 2020

Brooke ^^ i'mma be making an actual novel about something :D

Reply

00:41 Sep 15, 2020

Oh, my gosh! That's so exciting! If you need any help with anything, then let me know. I would be happy to help!

Reply

B. W.
00:43 Sep 15, 2020

Yes i do need some help ^^ do ya wanna hear the plot so you could understand it easier and help?

Reply

00:43 Sep 15, 2020

Sure ^^

Reply

B. W.
00:46 Sep 15, 2020

tell me what you think: 17 year old Harlow gets transported into another Dimension And doesn't know how to get back now she must deal with trying to get back home, Staying hidden so she doesn't get captured and an alternate version of herself thats after her, but with the help of a new friend there, willow, will she be able to get back?

Reply

00:48 Sep 15, 2020

Wow. That sounds REALLY good. What do you need help with?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
13:39 Sep 11, 2020

Heyyyy brooke you getting excited? its gonna happen real soon :)

Reply

18:29 Sep 13, 2020

I'm so excited! :D

Reply

B. W.
18:32 Sep 13, 2020

Go check em out ^^ i know you'll like it

Reply

18:33 Sep 13, 2020

I will!

Reply

B. W.
18:34 Sep 13, 2020

alright ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
15:14 Sep 10, 2020

Brooke how do ya wanna act? im talking about the story with you and some other Reedsy Friends. so i need to know how ya wanna act in it so i dont get anything wrong

Reply

20:38 Sep 10, 2020

Well, I really don't want to be my normal self. So... I think I want to be a character who says exactly what's on her mind, no matter how harsh it is. Also, I want my character to wear lots of things that are either camo or yellow (my two new obsessions XD). One more thing. I want her hair to be auburn (red-brown) with purple streaks. Thanks! It means a lot to me that you're adding me in one of your stories!

Reply

B. W.
20:40 Sep 10, 2020

No problem ^^ i'll try my best to do that stuff when your in the story at some of the parts, if you want to do you wanna know the plot of the story or do you just wanna wait tomorrow maybe?

Reply

20:41 Sep 10, 2020

Thanks so much again! No, I think I want to wait until tomorrow. :D

Reply

B. W.
20:43 Sep 10, 2020

No problem ^^ your my friend and you've all been so nice and stuff so i decided to make something for ya all. still like the plot do ya wanna know who else will be there or wanna wait until tomorrow when its out?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
08:45 Sep 10, 2020

Hey Brooke! Amazing story again! This was one was so sad. Your writing style is so beautiful and the letter and diary format were wonderful! I really hope you're staying safe!

Reply

20:39 Sep 10, 2020

Thank you so much, Doubra! I'm trying my best! :D And the same to you!

Reply

Doubra Akika
21:31 Sep 10, 2020

My pleasure! It shows! Thanks as well! If you get the chance, would you mind giving me feedback on my latest submission? Would love to see what you have to say!

Reply

22:28 Sep 10, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Doubra Akika
22:50 Sep 10, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

18:30 Sep 13, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
17:15 Sep 07, 2020

I thought you did a really great job on this, Brooke. The letter format was a perfect choice and kept it moving at a quick pace. You took on an important theme with the power of forgiveness and the sensitive themes of suicide and murder. It actually felt like a hopeful story despite the tragic undertone. And even though I applaud you for posting a story not necessarily related to a prompt, I think you could make a case for this being tied to the prompt you chose. Not one said that a will HAS to be a document leaving one's estate to some...

Reply

18:20 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you so much, Kristin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
07:54 Sep 07, 2020

It's a wonderful story! Please read my latest story

Reply

16:42 Sep 07, 2020

Thanks! Of course!

Reply

Amogh Kasat
01:58 Sep 08, 2020

thanks

Reply

21:05 Sep 09, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:16 Sep 05, 2020

Hey brooke i'm not sure if i left a review or not but i'll leave one soon i just came to say that i made another story i'd want you to go check out and leave a review for but im sorry if you already have and i'm just saying it again, the name is "Together"

Reply

16:44 Sep 07, 2020

I'll go check it out!

Reply

B. W.
16:51 Sep 07, 2020

Thanks im excited to see what you say ^^

Reply

18:20 Sep 07, 2020

No problem!

Reply

B. W.
18:29 Sep 07, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
03:06 Sep 03, 2020

Wow! Such a good story, I loved the ending. super creative

Reply

21:45 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks a ton, Sarah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
00:36 Sep 03, 2020

😥 such a sad story! It was amazing though, Brooke!! I like how you told the story with diary entries, very unique. I'm so glad you posted something new because I have been WAITING! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Would you mind visiting my page? I've posted new stories since you've been there last, and I'm now 90th on the leaderboard! Thanks! Your #1 Reedsy Friend/Fan, Megan

Reply

21:50 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you so much, Megan! Like I said in my bio, I have been very busy lately since I have started school this past week. I apologize, but I will only post one story a week and I will only be active in the afternoons. Of course! And congrats! Keep writing and stay healthy, Your #1 Reedsy Friend & Fan - Brooke D.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
21:54 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you so muchhhhhh! I miss talking to you and I understand you're busy- I'm going to be as well soon, my school starts on Tuesday.

Reply

21:55 Sep 03, 2020

My pleasure! I miss talking to you and others as well. Being back to school is awesome, but I miss talking to my new Reedsy friends! XD Good luck for school!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
21:55 Sep 03, 2020

Haha, yeah! Good luck to you too!! I hope whatever grade you're in isn't too hard lol

Reply

21:56 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks! It's not, luckily! XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
August Jett
22:03 Sep 02, 2020

This was such an amazing story! I love the format and the way that you were able to tell the story so well using only journal entries! Great job!!

Reply

21:51 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you so much, Helen!

Reply

August Jett
21:53 Sep 03, 2020

No problem!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
21:58 Sep 02, 2020

Hi! I love your writing style and was wondering if you could read my recent story and give me tips/criticism. It would be super amazing. Also, I really really loved how you did it in letter format, I've always been meaning to do a story like that. Keep writing, you're really amazing

Reply

21:51 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks a ton, Bibilo! Of course!

Reply

Amaya .
22:13 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

22:14 Sep 03, 2020

My pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.