A Percy Jackson Fan Fiction: The Capture

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

17 comments

Fantasy Fiction

   Author’s note: I’ve never written a story with only dialogue, and this is only the second fan fiction I’ve ever written. So yeah. I’m quite inexperienced (I mean I’m inexperienced in writing in general). This is a fan fiction of some series and books that are in the Percy Jackson universe (Riordanverse). Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus spoilers below. Hope you’ll enjoy it!

   “As long as we’re together. . . Tartarus. . . Give up. . . I must stand here. The Roman must bring me. . . Arachne. . . Kelli. . . Percy! Someone fix him! He’s dying! Bob. . . Damasen. . . No!!! Percy!!!No. . . No. Gaea. I’ll never work with you. . . I can’t do it. I can’t kill the people I love. Never. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!”

   “Annabeth! Are you okay? You were talking in your sleep. Turning pale. Sweating. I thought. . .”

   “I’m fine. I had a dream of Tartarus. What happened down there. But it was different. We failed. I failed. You— you died. So did Bob. Damasen. Small Bob. I was alone in Tartarus, trapped in there forever, with monsters I had killed, but they kept me alive. I— I had to work with Gaea. I had to kill the Argo II crew. I had to raze both camps to the ground. All of those deaths. It was my fault, all because my mind was too weak and I could be controlled by Gaea too easily. It was terrifying.”

   “Shhh. It’s okay. You’re okay. We’re okay. That never happened. You’re at camp. You’re good.” 

   “Thanks. My dreams are getting more and more vivid. It’s like I can’t tell the difference between my dreams and reality. I’m afraid. . . Wait. Seaweed Brain, what are you doing in my cabin? It’s the middle of the night. Do you know what would happen if Mr. D found out we’re breaking curfew?”

   “Relax. I’ve covered up our tracks. I wanted to take you out on a walk.”

   “Why?”

   “You’re my girlfriend! Can’t we take a walk in the middle of the night when no one else is at camp? Besides. I have a feeling that you're not fine. You could use a little cheering up.”

   “You know me too well. Fine. But if Mr. D turns us into grapes or feeds us to the harpies, I’m blaming it on you.”  

***

   “The stars really are beautiful tonight. Which reminds me. If I had a star for every time you brightened my day, I'd have a galaxy in my hand.”

   “Well, Mr. Smooth-talk, someone’s been looking up their cheesy pick lines. Explains all of the monsters at the border today.”

   “Just shut up and accept the compliment.”

   “My pleasure.”

   “So, um. Can we get to the beach?”

   “Why—“

   “Just humor me.” 

***

   “Did you really think I would forget?”

   “Forget what, Seaweed brain?”

   “Your birthday. Today’s January twelfth. Isn’t today your birthday?”

   “Percy, my birthday’s in July. Not January.”

   “I could’ve sworn your birthday certificate said January. I can’t believe I was that stupid. I literally planned your eighteenth birthday last year in July.”

   “You’re dyslexic and you forget things too easily sometimes. Things like that happen.”

   “Dang it. I had a whole plan and now I have to wait six months to do it?”

   “Well, I am going back to college next month. Camp Jupiter had some problems with the Lares and wolves. A good chunk of New Rome was destroyed. I’m going to help redesign some of the buildings and architecture that got destroyed.”

   “You’re doing work. On vacation?!”

   “It’s not really work if you love what you’re doing. Besides, vacation ends by the end of January.”

   “Wait. What does your birthday being in July have to do with you going back to New Rome? As you might know, I happen to go to New Rome University, too. Being an idiot doesn’t stop you from attending college.”

   “You’re not an idiot. If you were, you wouldn’t be alive. Besides, college is suspended because of all of the damage. I’m only going back to fix the city, not continue my studies.”

   “Well, can’t New Rome University do what mortals do? The remote learning thing? With— oh. Right. Demigods and electronics don’t mix.”

   “Yeah. Iris messages don’t exactly work for six hour long classes, especially if we have to do six hours of classes five times a week. No matter how many gods are on our side, I doubt we have enough drachma for that much Iris-messaging.”

   “Okay. It’ll be nice for an even longer break. But you’re making it sound like I’m not going back with you to New Rome. College or not, I’d prefer to stay with you.”

   “You aren’t going with me. I already asked. Hazel and Frank said no.”

   “Why?”

   “They consulted Ella. I consulted Rachel. They both said that you have to stay at camp.”

   “Why me?”

   “Their whatnot prophecy stuff said that camp’s going to have ‘sea problems’ soon and it’s going to need you to help.”

   “I cannot argue with the power of ‘whatnot prophecy stuff’.”

   “You know you can’t.”

   “So. . . Even though it’s not your birthday, can we still do what I planned? Pretty please with a blueberry on top?”

   “I cannot argue with the power of ‘pretty please with a blueberry on top’.”

   “Oh, shut up.”

   “Sure. Let’s do it now.”

   “YES! Jump in the water.”

   “Percy, it’s like thirty seven degrees Fahrenheit. Three degrees Celsius.”

   “I’m not going to even ask how you knew the exact temperature. Just do it.”

***

   “What are we doing underwater?”

   “Just swim and follow me.”

   “Where are we going?”

   “Somewhere special. You can breathe and stuff. Don’t worry. You’re going to love what I planned.”

   “Percy. . .”

   “I know your dreams have made you a little paranoid lately, but it’s going to be all fine.”

   “Is a huge sea monster ‘fine’?”

   “You’re just seeing things. There’s no sea— oh. That one. What is that doing here? Okay. It didn’t see us yet. Let’s split up. You use your cap and try to find weak chinks in its skin. I’ll distract it. Then once you find its weak spot, you stab it and it’ll die, and hopefully Poseidon won’t mind a lot of gold dust in Long Island Sound.”

   “Percy, we can’t kill it. Well, actually, her.”

   “Why? Is she Poseidon’s beloved sea monster, Mare? Or maybe Litore? Or perhaps Fluctus?”

   “What? No, Percy. She’s Scylla.”

   “Not again. What’s Scylla doing here in Long Island Sound? Doesn’t she have a nice little home in the Sea of Monsters, happily gobbling up sailors at random?”

   “Yes. But Scylla doesn’t usually leave the Sea of Monsters. She might be an illusion.”

   “Maybe.”

   “I’ll use my cap and try to see if she’s an illusion.”

   “Alone?”

   “If that is the real Scylla, she’ll notice an invisible demigod a lot slower than a visible one. And I don’t have an invisibility cloak or anything for two people. That’s more of Harry’s thing.”

   “What now?”

   “Never mind. My point is, I’m going to see if it’s Scylla or something else. If it’s actually Scylla, then maybe we can wake Nico and ask him to transport Scylla back to the Sea of Monsters so she doesn’t hurt anyone here. We’ll work something out. Wish me luck.”

   “Oh, you make your own luck.”

***

   “Gods dam it. It’s not an illusion.”

   “That’s right. I consider myself quite real.”

   “Oh sh— Who are you?”

   “If I told you, you would figure out some ingenious way to defeat me. I can’t have that.”

   “You’re not wrong. I admit it. But that’s not the point. What do you want?”

   “You.”

   “Excuse me?”

   “I want you, Annabeth Chase. My master would certainly be pleased with you. You’ll be the perfect bait.”

   “No one uses me for bait.”

   “But what about that time you were kidnapped by the manticore? I thought you were quite excellent bait to get you and your friends on the Titans’ home turf.”

   “How did you—“

   “I have been watching you for a very long time, Annabeth. Ever since you were seven. I’ve helped you in ways you don’t understand. I’m on your side.”

   “Yes. Watching me for years and tricking me into coming here shows to me that you are definitely on my side.”

   “I’ve helped you. I made you run away when you were seven. I turned Luke’s mind against him. I made you jump off the cliff with that manticore. I gave you your fatal flaw. I strayed your mind from the spider web around your ankle so you could fall.”

   “That was helping?”

   “Yes. Do you know how things would’ve turned out if I didn’t interfere?”

   “I. . . I suppose.”

   “Good girl. All you need to do now is swear an oath on the River Styx. Then I’ll take you to my master, who will help you with all of your problems.”

   “I don’t think so.”

   “You think you’re so clever? Attacking me with your drakon bone sword? That won’t do anything. I’m an immortal being powerful beyond measure.”

   “It’ll— oh. Oh. I. . . I’m on your side. I will. . . I will do as you ask. You may take. . . . You may. . . You may take me to your master and do whatever you want with me.”

   “Excellent. A little brain control always helps. Especially if you’re a forgotten Titaness like me.”

January 14, 2021 13:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

17:18 Jan 14, 2021

Who might the Titaness be? 🧐

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:03 Feb 14, 2021

So, considering you had two handicaps (the fact that you wrote a fanfic and that this used only dialogue) yet this story still ended up really good!🤠

Reply

23:11 Feb 14, 2021

I tried lol XD And thx for reading my bio!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Meera Lakshmi
15:52 Mar 17, 2021

Love PJ! And this was really good! The HP reference was cool too :)

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
15:52 Mar 17, 2021

also, would you want to do a pt two?

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
15:54 Mar 17, 2021

Also, I am reading your bio rn. Change HORRIBLE writer in your bio to AMAZING writer :)

Reply

16:07 Mar 17, 2021

Aww, thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:07 Mar 17, 2021

Probably not XD I have so many other stories that need continuations lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
16:07 Mar 17, 2021

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
AntMan 🐜
23:45 Feb 21, 2021

🤠OMB I LOVE THIS! ESPECIALLY ALL THE LITTLE DETAILS FROM THE BOOKS! BTW... How many books have you read in PJO? Amazing story! I can't wait for more! I am also writing a book-ish that is based off PJO. It is the Felicia's Fortune, and it's not exactly a fanfiction. Again, great story!

Reply

00:02 Feb 22, 2021

thank you so muchhh!! I've read all of the PJO books (I may or may not be a little obsessed). Ooh that sounds fun. I'll make sure to check it out!! (Also: 🍌)

Reply

AntMan 🐜
00:09 Feb 22, 2021

I've read all the books, too! I am more than just obsessed, and while I don't necessarily write fandoms, I mix around the ideas of a certain book or story. I have read a LOT of books, and if you have any recommendations, let me know! Judging by your bio, you have the same taste in books I do! 😅💖 Now, I will go look at more of your stories! YAY! 💖

Reply

00:17 Feb 22, 2021

okokok recommendations, coming up! - The Selection - The Fault in our Stars - Divergent This was the first fanfiction I wrote, and because not everyone has read PJO, I've decided it would probably be my last (at least on Reedsy). Also, I started reading the series "Felicia's Fortune", and it's amazing!!! Thank you so muchh!! :)

Reply

AntMan 🐜
00:32 Feb 22, 2021

Thanks right back to you! 💖

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
21:20 May 22, 2021

wow, I liked this story. I think it's my favorite one of yours yet lol. These things stood out to me My eyes kinda widened at this phrase: "“Your birthday. Today’s January twelfth. Isn’t today your birthday?”" uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes XDDDDDDD “If that is the real Scylla, she’ll notice an invisible demigod a lot slower than a visible one. And I don’t have an invisibility cloak or anything for two people. That’s more of Harry’s thing.” I just laughed at this XD I loved the little bits and pieces of humor thrown into the mix, it just makes the...

Reply

22:57 May 22, 2021

Really Wow, that surprises me because this was written so, so long ago. And yes, even back then, I loved adding humor. Thank you for your feedback!

Reply

TJ Squared
00:53 May 23, 2021

XDDD yesh but still lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.