The Taste of Lies

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

95 comments

Fantasy

It’s been four years since I found out who I really am. It took me awhile but eventually I got there and it's not such a bad thing. The only thing that’s hard is not telling my best friend.

Her name is Niut Parsons, and her name actually means nothing, no one knows what it means. It's a mystery for all of us, which is why she stands out so much. Me on the other hand, my name is Aletheia Greene, my name just means ‘honesty’ and I guess it kinda fits since I am a very honest person. I’m not the type of person to lie. Too bad everyone else isn’t like that.

I’m standing in the middle of a food gathering from our small city, it's kind of what we do around here since everybody knows everybody. So I’m trying my hardest to avoid everyone so they wouldn’t talk to me, but it wasn’t working very well.

“Good morning miss Greene, you never fail me everyday when it comes to those outfits, I love them.” says my neighbor, Ms. Ramsey. There it was, the foul taste of bitterness and sourness, soaking up my tongue. Lies, I can taste lies.

“Oh thank you!” I reply, thank God I couldn’t taste my own lies.

So now you know my secret. The secret I’ve been holding back from my best friend, I have the ability to taste lies, and only I know that…well now you do too. Right now I was actually heading towards her house, who knows, maybe I’ll tell her then.

***

“Can you believe it's today already! I mean, I wonder what we are going to get!” Niut exclaimed.

You’re probably wondering what she is talking about, well, let me tell you. Basically every five years for all those who are 16, you go on a mission. You get selected and put into groups, then we have to go on a mission to find a piece of something.  There’s normally a certain amount of groups, depending on how many 16 year old there are, and we have to find a piece of something. We don’t exactly know what it is, and we wont until its put together.

“I just don’t get why you’re so siked. What's there to look forward to?” I asked, I really didn’t feel like dying.

“Aletheia, it's an adventure. Who doesn’t want to go on an adventure you weirdo.”

I smirked, “Okay fine, I’m a little curious, just don’t want anyone to die, including me.”

“Ale, no ones going to die.”

And there it was, the bitterness in my mouth. I felt my face twist, disgusted by the taste. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I can basically tell the future, so if someone says something that may or may not happen in the future, I know if it’s a lie or not.

“Oh, Ale, are you okay? You look like you just ate something very sour. And don’t say you’re eating anything sour because I know for sure you’re not this time.”

I stared at Niut. Her bright green eyes were waiting for an answer, so I thought I should. “Niut, I have something I need to tell you.”

“Yeah sure, what’s up?”

“Ale, I c-”

“Hey girls, how are you? Aletheia, didn’t expect you to be here.”

Meet Niut’s mom. Her bright red hair and pale face, mole on her cheek. Just imagine The Red Queen from Alice and the Wonderland and you got what I’m describing. I’d rather not have you go through the misery of understanding what I’m describing. Her mom always freaked me out.

“Hi Ms.Parsons, I’m doing great, how are you?” I responded as nice as I could.

“Oh, darling. I’m doing just fine thank you for asking. Are you staying for supper?”

Why she talked like this, I don’t know. “Oh no I can't, I should actually start leaving now, get ready for the big night. Thank you though.”

“Always a pleasure.”

Ms.Parsons left the room, “So, what were you going to say?”

I stared at her blankly again, why was it so hard for me to tell her? “You’re mom scares me.”

Niut laughed, “She scares everyone, no surprise there.”

I laughed along, “That’s true, I can't be the only one.”

“You’re not that’s for sure, now come one, let's get ready for the big night. I can’t believe we are about to find out what our missions are.”

***

“Welcome! As we know, today is the big day! Many of you will be put into groups and go on a mission to search for a piece of an antique to finish our project. As I told the story five years ago, the big project is the key to make our city a better place, I cannot reveal what it is until it has been assembled together. The last piece is this mission so we count on all of you to find that last piece and bring it home!”

There was a chorus of cheering. Yeah, okay, cheer for the dead people.

“Now before I start calling out names and putting them into groups as assigned, I want to take a moment of silence for all of those who had sacrificed themselves and helped us gather together these pieces. I cannot be any more thankful for them, let's take a few minutes of silence.”

I did take a moment of silence, but I didn’t say thanks, I said I’m sorry. I didn’t believe that they were making it a better place. I wish he was talking directly to me so I can know whether or not he is lying.

After a few awkward moments of silence, he spoke up in his microphone, scratching his beard, “Okay, now we shall announce the groups. There will be four groups of five, group A will have…”

He went off with names, I really didn’t listen because I just wasn’t up to it. He listed five names that I didn’t know and put them into one group on the stage. “And for group B, Aileen Jennings, Willow Poole, Niut Parsons, and lastly, Aletheia Greene,” there were a number of ooo’s and ahh’s.

Yes! I’m with Niut. I made my way through the crowd to get on the stage. We were instructed to stand in a certain area on stage and wait there. I immediately hugged Niut.

“So glad we are on the same team.”

“I KNOW TELL ME ABOUT IT!”

“Niut, you’re talking way too loud.”

“WHAT? NO I’M NOT!”

“Niut, I think a guy from Isolana Island can hear you.”

“SORRY, I’M JUST SO EXCITED. I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MY WHOLE LIFE.”

“And you’re still talking loud.”

“HOW IS THIS?”

“Nope, still loud.”

“THIS?”

“Nope.”

“HOW ABOUT NOW?”

“Niut, you haven’t even dropped it one pitch.”

“HOW A-”

“Just don’t talk, just listen” I laughed.

She nodded her head while still smiling, I have never seen her this happy before.

The man spoke up on the microphone. By the way, his name is Mr. Hugga, I just didn’t want to explain to him cause I really don’t like him. But that’s him, an overweight guy with a beard, and he is bald, that should do it.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I now pronounce you group A, B, C, and D. They will all be led into the great walls of my home and be told what to do. These are who your hero is today.”

I think I might have thrown up a little in my mouth, did he just call us heroes? For what? Sending people to die and never come back? Never once has there been a time where everybody in each group survived, there has always been someone who died in each group, which was odd. There was this one time where two died in one of the groups but it was accidental, it was something about him eating Cheetos or something and one fell out of his hand while they were in the middle of an ocean and he jumped in and never came back out. There is always that kid.

“Now, off to your missions!”

***

“This doesn’t feel right.”

“Well isn’t that obvious, look at what we are about to do.”

“Okay, but it’s not exactly something I’ve done before.”

“Okay, none of us have, just go so we of us have to wait anymore.”

I stared down, the ground was so far away, what if this is how I die? “I don’t know if I can do this. It looks very far.”

Niut pushed me slightly, “Ale, I know you can do this, the faster you go, the faster we find the piece, come on, go!”

I felt a push harder than before and my brain began to spin. This is it. The end of my life. I don’t even know what my last meal was. I felt the smallest impact on my feet, shoot, I died so quickly that I didn’t even feel it. What were my last words? Did everybody else die too?

“Aletheia, are you okay?”

I lifted my head up, realizing I was just sitting on the ground, I looked up. Aileen was hovering over me.

“Here, let me help you” she gave me a hand and helped me up.

“Not going to lie, I thought I died” I told her.

“Well everyone does for their first time, it just takes practice.”

Aileen was a red haired girl with freckles. She looked so young but yet also looked old, it was weird. She even wore overalls. “Wait, you’ve done this before?”

She winked, “Nope, but I’ve dreamed of it too many times so it's at the point where I believed it was real.”

“Hey guys! Let’s get going.”

I watched the helicopter leave, “Where is this stupid thing anyway?”

Clarissa spoke up, she was a blonde and was practically wearing all yellow. Quite a bright person, “Mr. Hugga said it’s somewhere in a cave. It shouldn’t take long.”

“What's this thing even look like?” Willow said, she wore different shades of blue and even her eyes were blue, it looked good with her short brown hair.

“He just said we will know when we see it” Aileen said.

“Great, that’s great advice,” I said, this was going to be so fun, “how is he going to know when to send someone to get us?”

Everyone was quiet for that one, I take it that no one knows.

“Okay let's get walking. It shouldn’t be far.”

It took five minutes, if even, to find the cave. This felt like it was going to be a quick mission.

“Okay, let's get in there and get this over with” Willow said.

“Okay well, I don’t mean to sound like a baby but we don’t have light” Niut said.

Aileen smirked, “Guess we should all get to know each other more,” she burst out a flame from her hand, “you forget what my name meant? Torch of Light.

“Wait, okay, before we go in, what can we all do?” I asked.

“Well, I have 20-20 vision and can hear very clearly and pretty far too. My name means bright and clear” Clarissa said.

I looked at Willow, she spoke up, “Oh my name means a symbol of healing so basically I can heal anyone or anything if it gets hurt.”

Niut looked at me, “Well I know you guys know that my name is a mystery, no one knows what it really means. So I actually don’t have anything.”

Everyone was staring at me, I felt my heart begin to race, I forgot I hadn't told Niut. “Niut, I haven’t told you but I’ve had my powers for like four years.”

Four years?

“Guys I hate to break it to you but we don’t have time to argue.”

“Right, sorry, it's okay, I’m not mad. What can you do?”

I took a deep breath, “I can taste lies.”

Everyone gasps, “That is the best thing ever” Aileen said.

“Yeah but it tastes really gross” I said.

“Okay let's see, you’re very ugly” Clarissa told me.

The bitterness returned to my mouth, I felt my face twist, “Ugh, why did you do that.”

“And you weren’t lying, I actually think you’re very pretty.”

“Okay guys let’s go.”

Aileen led the way with the flame in her hand.

“I can hear a strange buzzing and it’s not far ahead” Clarissa claimed.

She wasn’t wrong, it was just a few steps into the cave and the weird piece was just in right there, sitting on the ground. It was golden and a number of symbols on it, shaped in a form of zig zags.

“See, that was easy, I’ll grab it. See Ale, no one has to die this time.”

I just remembered how I tasted the lies before this even started, someone was going to die, “Niut, wait-”

Then something dark grabbed her from behind, making the piece fly into the air and land into Clarissa’s hand. Niut screamed, calling for help but everyone was frozen. Niut’s screaming abruptly stopped, making the sound of humming return and silence filled the distance.

“Lets go, now, hurry!” Aileen said, leading the way again.

I felt someone grab my hand, I felt frozen, I couldn’t move.

“Ale come on!” Willow said, pulling me. She managed to pick me up and run out of the cave. You could hear the helicopter waiting ahead.

I still couldn’t speak, my mouth was dry, my eyes were dry, everything was dry. Someone put me in the helicopter and I felt it raise up. Something wasn’t right, there was a sick feeling in my stomach and it wasn’t from Niut. It didn’t feel like she was gone.

After a long while of the helicopter flying home, I stood up quickly, “How did you know we were coming? How did you know when to come?”

Mr. Hugga looked at me innocently, “I came just on time I guess.”

There was a small sourness of my tongue, “But it took us less than ten minutes to find that piece, were you here the entire time?”

I heard the girls start mumbling, they knew I was right.

“Yeah pretty much.”

The sourness got stronger, I managed to keep a straight face. “But I saw you leave, what exactly is this piece for?”

“I told you, it's to make our city a better place.”

It got stronger, my face flinched but I handled it.

Mr. Hugga smirked, then snapped his fingers. From the corner of my eye, I saw all three girls drop dead. Who was controlling this helicopter?

I gasped, “What did you do?”

He only remained smirking, “You’re getting too close to the truth. So they are dead now.”

My eyes widened, “How did you do that?”

He shrugged, “After all, we’re only human.”

There it was, the strongest I’ve ever tasted in my life. I drop down to my knees as I gagged at the taste, feeling every organ raise up. It was such a foul taste, it felt as if it burned my tongue and melted away my teeth, my eyes even began to water.

“Just as a thought, you can taste lies, far too risky for me. I plan to take over the city by putting together a weapon. Great job, you caught me just like everyone else who died. But you can say goodbye now, I’ll let everyone know that you didn’t make it, besides, everyone dies a hero right?”

I heard laughter right before a snap and the darkness took over me.

July 01, 2020 21:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

95 comments

Tolu Odel
22:43 Jul 02, 2020

There's always that one kid who brings a new meaning to, "I would die for Cheerios" Great story!

Reply

22:52 Jul 02, 2020

LOL I know right! Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sierra Butler
01:14 Jul 02, 2020

This such an amazing story!! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Good job.

Reply

02:59 Jul 02, 2020

OMG! Thank you so much! I also loved your story, especially Geek, it caught my heart. SO inspiring!

Reply

Sierra Butler
15:15 Jul 02, 2020

Geek? I think you have me confused with someone else.

Reply

16:17 Jul 02, 2020

Awe I'm sorry, I got so many comments and i read a lot of books so I probably got mixed up. I should've said I loved your "First Love" Book, it was mixed emotions and it honestly almost reminded me of my past relationship. It was really good and I would love to read more of your stories!

Reply

Sierra Butler
18:03 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:09 Jul 02, 2020

Hi Angelina! GREAT story! Such a creative story! I enjoyed reading your story till the end!😊 Keep writing and have a great day Angelina!❤️️ (Thank you for liking my story! Really appreciate it!)

Reply

03:01 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you so much! This really means a lot to me. You made me smile!

Reply

03:14 Jul 02, 2020

No problem Angelina! I'm glad! Have a great day Angelina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
18:35 Aug 29, 2020

Wonderfully penned and beautifully expressed! I loved this story, and the title, too, is fantastic. By the way, thanks for liking all my stories :)

Reply

19:37 Aug 30, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B H
15:18 Jul 14, 2020

This was so good. It was a really creative idea. I love how you put it together so well. Just amazing!

Reply

18:21 Jul 14, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:18 Jul 06, 2020

This story was very unique and imaginative. The characters were interesting and i enjoyed the idea that their names correspond with the powers they have. The only issue I had with it was some of the writing style. You did a lot of telling instead of showing. You described characters in a voice that didn't really describe them, if that makes sense. for example: "Her bright red hair and pale face, mole on her cheek. Just imagine The Red Queen from Alice and the Wonderland and you got what I’m describing." you follow this up with saying tha...

Reply

01:04 Jul 08, 2020

Thank you so much! This helps a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yageen Faiz
14:46 Jul 06, 2020

hello! can you read one of my stories?

Reply

Show 0 replies
J. Ernst
03:27 Jul 06, 2020

I really like your intro and how your character told the reader very quickly her secret. The ending I found was just as strong. Nice job ! Personally I've always found it difficult to write in 1st person. You pulled it off very well. If you have time please check out my very first submission to this site. It's also among this week's contest posts. It called 'The Gift'.

Reply

04:47 Jul 06, 2020

Will do! Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Talia Vander
18:24 Jul 04, 2020

What an interesting superpower, especially considering how the truth is the most dangerous thing in her world! Cool story :)

Reply

19:11 Jul 04, 2020

Thank you! Means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anoushka Jain
02:59 Jul 03, 2020

What a wonderful story! Great job, I've never thought about a superpower like that, and honestly, it was really cool, and I couldn't stop reading it! Loved it!

Reply

04:31 Jul 03, 2020

Thank you so much! Means a lot! Thank you for reading it!

Reply

Anoushka Jain
05:04 Jul 03, 2020

No problem! It was a really interesting read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anushka Binoy
20:45 Jul 02, 2020

This is such an interesting and unique take on the prompt, well done!

Reply

20:52 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tempest Juvano
19:06 Jul 02, 2020

Amazing Twist. And a very unique superpower!!! I loved it. Keep Writing!

Reply

19:12 Jul 02, 2020

I will do! Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace M'mbone
18:37 Jul 02, 2020

Great work Angelina. I think it should have been, "... I, on the other hand, my name is..." In stead of,"...me, on the other hand..." Great story Valencia.

Reply

19:11 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you for the advice! It means a lot! Thank you for reading this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:11 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you for the advice! It means a lot! Thank you for reading this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Batool Hussain
11:38 Jul 02, 2020

Hello! This is such a good story. A very unique take on the prompt. Amazing!

Reply

16:19 Jul 02, 2020

Hi! Thank you so much, it means so much to me!

Reply

Batool Hussain
16:28 Jul 02, 2020

You're welcome! Do you mind checking out my stories? Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Khizra Aslam
10:49 Jul 02, 2020

Hey there, i saw that you liked my story so i decided to look at yoir story as well. I read this whole and it was so interesting. And I enjoy reading every word of it. Fantastic ❤❤ Keep writing and sharing your stories :)

Reply

16:21 Jul 02, 2020

I will and thank you so much! It means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KAUSTABH KASHYAP
10:32 Jul 02, 2020

wonderful story Angelina. i liked how you bring the reader into conversation and managed to juggle so many superpowers within such a short piece. i enjoyed the ending as well. keep writing :-)

Reply

16:21 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you so much! I wasn't sure if anyone would like it but it turns out I was wrong! This means a lot to me, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Enoch
09:20 Jul 02, 2020

Great story! I really liked the plot twist when Ale died in the end. So Cool!

Reply

16:24 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Valerie Deguzman
09:12 Jul 02, 2020

What? You can't just leave me on a cliffhanger like that! But in all seriousness, amazing story. The concept, setting, and plot were all so indulging. It caught my attention and had me engaged the entire time. Keep up the good work!

Reply

16:25 Jul 02, 2020

I was afraid I'd leave some people hanging, but glad you liked it overall! This means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
08:46 Jul 02, 2020

What a brilliant superpower - to be able to TASTE lies.... You did a great job of drawing me into your story, well done Angelina! Oh yes, almost forgot to ask... Why didn't Niut have a superpower?

Reply

16:28 Jul 02, 2020

That was kind of the twist, I didn't exactly know if I should add on to why she doesn't have a name, but her name literally means 'a mythical goddess of nothingness' so its kind of how she doesn't have a power, I wanted someone to have no powers i guess

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
16:51 Jul 02, 2020

Ah ok 👍 Your story reads fine as it is though, so it’s up to you really Angelina, it’s your story (maybe it was only me who wondered about that anyway...)

Reply

16:54 Jul 02, 2020

I've had a few ask the same question if you go in the comment section, but it's okay to wonder, I am always open to suggestion and opinions as well as questions!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
07:59 Jul 02, 2020

Wow, what an exciting and fast-paced story! I am dying to know more....do the parents in this city know that the names give their children powers? How did Mr Hugga know where they were? I definitely want to know more about Niut! Maybe some foreshadowing about her powers or hints? Also, can Altheia taste the truth too? So many questions!

Reply

16:33 Jul 02, 2020

Unfortunately Aletheia can not taste the truths, but has a name meaning 'Honesty' so she is a very honest person. Niut has a name meaning "Mystical goddess of nothingness" so thats how she has no powers but is a mystery. Who knows? Maybe when she got taken, she got taken to the Gods? Thank you so much for reading my story and I'm so glad you liked it though!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.