Once upon a time, when exploring my reflection, I really lost my weight as I viewed myself in the mirror, I saw my reflection and image.

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story that involves a reflection in a mirror.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Historical Fiction

Once upon a time, when exploring my reflection, I really lost my weight as I viewed myself in the mirror, I saw my reflection.


The mirror is a polished or smooth surface as of glass that forms images by reflection. She looked at herself in the mirror. Mirrors are of two types which are mainly plane mirrors and spherical mirrors entirely.

It is also believed that in 1835, German chemist Justus von Liebig developed a process for applying a thin layer of metallic silver to one side of a pane of clear glass. It noted that it was the German Chemist Justus von Liebig who first invented the Mirror that helps us see our images and the reflection of ourselves.

The three common types of mirror are the plane mirror, which has a flat surface, or plane surface; the convex mirror; and the concave mirror.


The primary qualities of a mirror are reflectivity and flatness. Reflectivity also refers to the amount of light that is being absorbed by the entire mirror surface versus that which is reflected as an image. The Flatness refers to how flat the mirror surface is and that determines the accuracy of a reflected image. Mirrors are indispensable grooming aids, but they can also be decorating tools that create accents, transforms space and dematerialize mass. They can also be used to establish some sort of mood, to provide more security and even to help babies develop faster in life.

Things looked almost worse because I could see my whole body at once in a reflection. I also faced almost every problem that had arisen in the last year by eating chocolate bars, cookies and other fast foods. My reflection looked almost disgusted than myself. I also made my bed with fresh linen and put new night gown that I had bought for the visit.


During dim light my eyes looked almost tired and my face droopy. The wrinkles formed as you age but the droop is worse. There is the cosmetic of anti-aging. The numerous and expensive skin screams had been a waste of money entirely.

The next morning, I again awoke to another dull and grey day. I then decided that before I ate breakfast I would give the mirror a good cleaning. The Natural light entered the attic from a small window. As I worked I also burst of sunlight broken through the grey clouds and hit the mirror.

There was something sparkling on my sweater in my reflection that caught my eye.

I also looked closely and saw to my amazement that my reflection was wearing an opal brooch edged with gold. Then also my reflection stepped back with me, he realized that her eyes was wide in shock every action in tune with mine.

After I returned to my friends house with no logical explanation in my mind, even though I have been thinking about the situation, the whole time I had been walking.

As I looked straight at the mirror from the top of the stairs, my reflection also did too. I later slowly walked towards the mirror and then realized that there had been another change. Also strangely as we stared at each other, I began to relax. I again gave the reflection some sort of faint smile, and she did too. Again daringly, I placed my hand upon the mirror to meet hers but also felt nothing better other than the cold surface of the mirror.

The changes then continued throughout the first day and also beyond. Then after as the week progressed, I often visited the mirror more frequently. I then went downstairs only for essentials like meals preparation, bathroom visits and later I left the house to buy food and other necessities.



I did eat my meals in front of the mirror as she did, fascinated by all sorts of changes. The reflection in the mirror then moved in harmony together with me, but her appearance gradually changed. There were changes that occurred in the reflection where she continued to wear the brooch. Also the day arrived when my reflection changed so much. She had a better figure, her hair was pinned up and looked rather attractive.

As I watched and noted my reflection with a strange mixture of curiosity and fear an idea occurred to me. I saw myself in a mirror as another version of myself in another universe.

Also coming close to the surface of mirror, I stepped back in alarm seeing then that she looked younger than me and smelling the sweet scent of Lilly of the valley perfume, the one that mother wears during special occasions. After my reflection finished speaking I saw the surface of the mirror was becoming blurred and I felt a presence beginning to surround me. At some point in time, I was able to push back with more power and then move away from the mirror. I realized that all of my reflection that I have seen and observed in my mirror or reflective surface since then have been just that reversed and lifeless duplicates.

The mirror is an object that reflects an image. Light that bounces off a mirror will show an image of whatever is in front of it, when focused through the lens of the eye or a camera. Mirrors does reverse the direction of the image in an equal yet opposite angle from which the light shines upon it.


Finally, I will like to conclude that with the reason why one will like to see himself or herself in a mirror. I might not be a psychologist but it seems to me that we often look in mirrors for some reassurance of our self-worth. This view in the mirror sometimes has the opposite effect entirely.

Others may be able to look at themselves objectively within a mirror to check the feature that they can’t otherwise see, such as their face, the back of their head or the inside of their moth cavity. It can be noted that they cannot be able to do this without making judgment of some kind though.

This judgment as observed may be linked to strong emotions also.



July 08, 2021 19:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Daniel Petrone
00:13 Jul 11, 2021

I didn’t read the story, but I think the title should be a little longer.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
16:10 Jul 15, 2021

Top shelf comment 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.