Big Bad Wolf

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Write a story from the antagonist’s point of view.... view prompt

26 comments

Bedtime Fantasy Funny

It’s me, the big, bad wolf. Or Wolfie, as my friends call me. Not Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, that swing jazz band from the last millennium. They were cool. But they’re not me. I’m cooler.

Me. The big, bad wolf. Real and scary. Legend of story and song. Source of under the bed, childhood nightmares the world over.

I’m everyone’s favorite baddy.

Heard it all my life. Though it has had certain benefits, it isn’t a fair description of who I truly am.

Granted, I haven’t always behaved like a lap dog. But you have to believe me when I tell you I got a bad rap too. Like that whole ration of lies about me in sheep’s clothing. What a crock.

I mean, can you honestly see me in a wool suit? Not my style, man.

Wool is itchy as hell. It shrinks. And don’t get me started on cleaning and pressing. You think I have time to pick up dry cleaning? Give me a break.

My cousin, the werewolf… not really a wolf, but he thinks he’s one. Always makes jokes about how ‘ruff’ I have it. Get it? ‘Ruff?’ Never mind. He’s nothing better than a flea-bitten coyote, if you catch my drift.

But I digress…

I never got any respect.

Despite the fact I’m immortalized in movies and literature. What’s a wolf gotta do? Cry?

And BTW, it’s not enough to be a wolf? I’ve got to be a big one? Not puny? And bad? Not a sweetheart? I’m not bragging when I tell you I’m good at what I do.

Seems like I’m being set up for failure from the get-go.

But, okay. I fit the bill. I’m the biggest and baddest and, oh yeah… I’m a wolf.

Can’t you see I never get an even break? It’s stacked against me.

I’m sure you’ve heard the stories where I’m dispatched by some sniveling little shepherd boy. Or by that snot nosed red haired, hoodie wearing tart, or… Oh no! A woodsman! A what? Every village needs a ne’er-do-well with an axe, lurking in the shadows.

And I hope you know he didn’t bother with anesthetics performing surgery with that axe to save grandma. She was tough and salty, I’ll have you know.

But I’m always the villain. Right?                                                                              

Well, they’re all lies. Lies! If they weren’t, would I be here, blushing and abashed, to tell you the truth?

Don’t get me started on those three little pigs. I know. Cute as a silk purse.

But get real.

But for me, no one would’ve heard of them, except as someone’s BLT. Yum.

Most heroes would be nobodies without a nemesis to vanquish. But do I ever get a simple thank you? Wouldn’t you agree that an equitable distribution of credit is long overdue? Sheesh!

So, anyway, the little pigs, Ziggy, Figgie and Jiggy. Always with the cute names. Thank God, Huey, Dewey and Louie were taken. Why not Noah, Tom and Edgar? Perfectly legit. But no! What parent…?

Anyway, they were gunning for me from the start. I came to inspect their new construction. I’m an inspector. They pretend to be developers. Get real.

So, I show up at Ziggy’s new ‘house.’ If you could call it that. Built of plastic straws, any self-respecting haystack would deny kinship. A multitude of permit violations clamored for attention. Citing them meant I’d be the bad guy. No way around it.

I told him why I’d come. Ziggy was clueless and distrustful.

He said, “You government guys are all the same. Taxes eating me alive.” His voice was like nails on a blackboard.

“I’m not from the tax office, Ziggy. Just here to inspect your construction. Ensure it’s up to…”

“Go away. It’s fine. Does everything I need a house to do.”

“Ziggy, I can see code violations from here and I haven’t been inside.”

“Go away. You’re not coming in. Not by the hair on my chinny chin chin…”

Always with that annoying saying. What does it even mean? I checked a box on my inspection form – ‘Uncooperative.’

Defiant, he stared at me with those squinty, piggy eyes.

I lost my patience. Pulling out my handkerchief, I feigned a sneeze and watched as the hovel collapsed in a cloud of dust. No need to huff or puff.

Shocked, Ziggy’s mouth dropped open. Before I could ask if a cat had his tongue, he ran up to Jiggy’s house. The way he squealed, you’d think I’d called him a boar.

I finished my notes and doggedly loped up to Figgie’s. Though the mode of construction was more professional, it was still sub-standard. Basically, the house was a pile of sticks. Someone ate a lot of popsicles.

Reporting it makes me the villain. But hey, it’s the job. I didn’t get the name, ‘Big Bad Wolf’ for nothing.

Figgie tried distracting me by hamming it up. His charm was lost on me. I was there for a job but not a schmooze job.

He told some old jokes and even did a little dance. His hoofing made a hog on ice look like Fred Astaire. He embarrassed himself. Always, the old tricks, like a dog returning to its own… why do they do that? Never mind.

Pigs. What can you do?

My work has certain expectations. Trying to razzle-dazzle past a shortfall just wastes my time.

I told him, “I can’t complete my report without seeing inside.”

“Not by the hair…”

I stopped him before I had to hear about his hairy chin. Enough! Get a shave.

I countered with one of my favorite tricks. Rarely use it anymore. At my age, huffing and puffing takes a lot. Get lightheaded. Need to sit down afterwards. But this demanded it.

I set my clip board down and braced myself. Figgie protested. He wouldn’t shut up.

It was too late. I blew his house down. Hearing all that clatter felt good.

Next.

Figgie also high-tailed it up to Jiggy’s house. Expecting me, Jiggy met me out front. His brothers had locked themselves inside the red brick cottage. Jiggy’s place looked like a fortress.        

I hate to admit it. Jiggy was actually cute, for a pig.

I felt he knew the real me. Very expressive, his attitude had me grinning from ear to ear. Whatever superficial differences we might have had, we saw eye to eye. Pig to wolf. This was just business. Nothing personal.

The others were a bunch of squealers.

Jiggy was straight with me. He showed me around and pointed out things he thought might be an issue. He impressed me.

When done with the exterior, he tried to let me inside. But Ziggy and Figgie had locked us out. Jiggy had seen their act before and appeared as weary of it as I was.

Jiggy shrugged. “Left my keys inside. You could go down the chimney.”

Same ol,’ same ol.’ But doable.

He boosted me onto the roof. I clawed my way up to the stack which emitted a thin trail of smoke. Putting my superior lung capacity to use, I dove in and made my way down the chimney.

Ziggy and Figgie had a roaring fire going by the time I reached bottom. I could hear their giggles as I clambered past the flames and onto the floor. My tail was sputtering and smoking like a sparkler on the 4th of July.

No surprise, it was a pig sty in there. I rolled around, growling and whining until Jiggy collared me and dragged me out the back. He trained the hose on me and soon I was soaking wet, and not even smoldering.

I smelled like BBQ. And never felt so humiliated. My hair was singed and covered with mud.

Figgie and Ziggy stood laughing on the porch.

They yelled, “Hey hot dog… Be careful, you don’t wolf your food.”

What a howler.

Jiggy apologized for their behavior and asked what he could do.

“Nothing at this point. Par for the course in this line of work. Your place appears to meet all your permit requirements. You pass.”

I signed off the report and gave him a copy.

I won a small victory over the brothers. The city cited Ziggy and Figgie for building without a permit and being not up to code.

Call me bad.

Hah!

August 13, 2024 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Pete K Mally
09:51 Sep 03, 2024

John. I really really loved this. Witty, clever and very relevant. Ace read. Well done

Reply

John K Adams
14:17 Sep 03, 2024

Thanks, Pete. Reads and comments are always appreciated. Humor in science is a concept I could never get across to my HS biology teacher. I look forward to reading your stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jace Keeler
23:42 Aug 21, 2024

This was a really funny read. I like the idea of the wolf just being an inspector stuck with a bad reputation simply because he fit the bill of the "big bad wolf." Let's be honest, those pigs made questionable decisions when it came to construction, and Wolfie was no doubt the hero of that tale. Thanks for the laugh!

Reply

John K Adams
16:43 Aug 25, 2024

Thanks, Jace, for reading and commenting. You are right. Pigs have their well-earned reputations for a good reason.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:31 Aug 19, 2024

I had to choose this one over your other story. It really appealed to me. The humour had me howling—no pun intended. I'm so glad the big bad wolf didn't end up as a wolf stew. I have a children's story with an inappropriate picture of a dead wolf hanging over the edges of a cauldron. Hideous. I'm so glad your MC wasn't killed off. Loved it! It is so in line with the prompt. Did you see the movie 'Hoodwinked.' (A Red Riding Hood spoof) Through several crazy accidental circumstances, the wolf looks like the baddy. But he isn't. I'm not surpr...

Reply

John K Adams
21:39 Aug 19, 2024

Thanks for reading and commenting, Kaitlyn. I'll have to check out 'Hoodwinked.' Just so I understand, you read both stories but prefer this one? Or you read this one only? Either way, I appreciate your time. If you read 'Killer Cute' and didn't like it, I'd be interested in knowing why. I'm not afraid of constructive criticism.

Reply

22:11 Aug 19, 2024

Lol. I haven't even got time to write for a couple of weeks, but like Mary Bendickson, I like to keep up with some of you. I did put in a story about superheroes for the last prompt—I just had to. All the best. I will come back to the other one.

Reply

John K Adams
23:13 Aug 19, 2024

No problem, Kaitlyn. Everyone is busy. I'm always pleased when anyone reads and comments. I was just curious. Hope you will weigh in on the second one whenever you get to it. Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Vid Weeks
14:58 Aug 18, 2024

A great laugh. Fascinating how different our takes on the wolf are. Yours with humour and mine, 'sacrifice' taking the dark side.

Reply

John K Adams
16:19 Aug 18, 2024

Thanks, Vid. Yes, the wolf is rich with possibilities for storytelling. I look forward to reading your take.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:45 Aug 17, 2024

This is so funny! A wonderful retelling. And I love that one of the three pigs and the wolf actually liked each other.

Reply

John K Adams
01:57 Aug 18, 2024

Thank you, Tamar. The story suggested itself in response to the prompt. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John K Adams
02:28 Aug 18, 2024

BTW, don't miss my other story this week, 'Killer Cute.' I think you'll enjoy that too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Malcolm Twigg
08:15 Aug 15, 2024

You did well to perpetuate the theme throughout here. I loved the laconic tone of the wolf which comes over admirably with the American voice. Goid job.

Reply

John K Adams
13:04 Aug 15, 2024

Thanks, Malcolm. I'm glad it translated well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:15 Aug 14, 2024

Oh wow !!! A fun, creative take on the Three Little Pigs lore. Splendid work !

Reply

John K Adams
14:21 Aug 14, 2024

Thank you, Alexis. It was fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
05:13 Aug 14, 2024

Very clever! Enjoyed the humor! A fun read.

Reply

John K Adams
14:22 Aug 14, 2024

Thanks, Kristi. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:29 Aug 13, 2024

Ah, the building inspector! Can't get much badder!

Reply

John K Adams
23:45 Aug 13, 2024

He was born to it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
18:30 Aug 13, 2024

Funny! Poor wolf, so misunderstood. 🐷🐺🐷🐷

Reply

John K Adams
21:48 Aug 13, 2024

Thank you, Trudy. You summed it up beautifully.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:59 Aug 30, 2024

"Or by that snot nosed red haired, hoodie wearing tart, or… Oh no! A woodsman! A what? Every village needs a ne’er-do-well with an axe, lurking in the shadows." -- went absolutely (hog) wild for this. I really dig the time you took setting up the wolf's voice before getting to the narrative. I felt like he and I were meeting up for coffee, and he was dishing to me about his awful day at work. And the PUNS -- they made me feel like a lot of love went into this story. :^) Loved it! (Also I second the comment about checking out Hoodwinked. Cute...

Reply

John K Adams
14:39 Aug 30, 2024

I admit I had fun writing this. Thank you for the effusive praise. I'll have to check out 'Hoodwinked.'

Reply

Show 0 replies
John K Adams
14:39 Aug 30, 2024

I admit I had fun writing this. Thank you for the effusive praise. I'll have to check out 'Hoodwinked.'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.