11 comments

Fantasy Drama Inspirational

Whenever good came to jasmine or evil befell her, her grandmother would react as if she had already known, nothing new happened to her granddaughter ever surprised her, something that irritated jasmine to a great extent. When she was a teenager - the golden period for emotional outbursts- she complained to her how she didn't care for her future, didn't care what happened in her life, all she ever did was smile briefly at the good moments and nod knowingly at the bad ones maybe she would have been better off living in an orphanage than with a woman who loves her not. Her words caused the old lady great sadness yet she withheld her position and replied calmly: "when you grow older I will tell you everything". No matter how many times the unfortunate girl badgered her, she never relented until she reached 17. 

Jasmine was excited and anxious to hear what her grandmother's most longed for secret. The old lady kept staring silently for a while at jasmine then took a deep breath " I'm gifted… Or cursed… I can see people's lives from start to finish.." Jasmine laughed loudly thinking her grandmother was pulling her leg "so you know all the people's affairs and secrets" she said still laughing. The old lady's countenance didn't change "don't interrupt me, - " she said sternly. Jasmine fell silent. "I see the person's in front of me their whole life, I have seen horrible things, things that could make your heart burn with pain…" She stopped to take her breath, her eyes were full of horror as if she was seeing them all over again; jasmine's heart quickened at the sight of her grandmother's face." I tried to help them… I tried… I only made it worse… then I had a dream that I should not interfere with destiny… Why was I gifted if I'm not supposed to help people? Why am I cursed? What have I done to deserve this hell of a life?" She talked more to an invisible entity than to her granddaughter who kept her silent." I stopped going outside and closed my door in front of everyone. Isaac, my loyal servant, he has started taking care of my property and bringing me everything I needed from the outside world to the safety of my house." 

Jasmine remembered her parents, she yelled "but you knew about the car accident then" "I didn't… by the time I was pregnant with your mother I was feeling depressed and unable to carry on… I… I couldn't see her… Not when I knew when my husband was going to die and how…" tears were flowing from her eyes "I couldn't see her… I made them take her away from me and raise her in another house where it wasn't cursed with my presence but alas…" 

Jasmine started feeling sceptical, but didn't tell her. "so why did you raise me then" "you had no one left but me, I didn't have a choice" jasmine was sure her grandmother was losing her mind. "I can't tell you your future dear child…" because you know nothing jasmine thought "you must forgive me, but live your life before it's too late, love the people in your life and the ones coming to it, love them like there is no tomorrow, and when the misfortune strikes you be patient" she touched her cheek and left to her room. 

Jasmine didn't know what to think, she wasn't going to believe such nonsense, not when she believed in science and tangible things, you can't believe in both of them, they contradict one another. She was confused but decided to leave all that behind, she was going to leave the city and finally be free from her grandmother's lunacy. 

Years had gone by and the young girl grew up to be a pretty successful woman; she graduated from college with a management degree, nailed a job in a renowned company as a managing director after a quick climb up the career ladder and married a handsome rich doctor. She became the envy of everyone who knew her. 

Just like children's tales, Jasmine and her prince charming led a colorful and fun life, their happiness was completed with the arrival of their first baby boy. Jasmine, feeling guilty of not visiting her grandmother often she let her choose a name for him. She named him Angel. Angel was loved by all, especially by his grandmother who pampered him like no other kid was ever pampered. Jasmine was grateful that the old Lady's nonsense was over, as not only she didn't refuse to see Angel but she played with him, read him stories… She let out a different personality than the one Jasmine got used to, it was like she was alive as opposed to her former cold and reserved self. 

Jasmine wanted to start her own company and started working for it, as a result she didn't have time for Angel, she left him to her grandma for days, sometimes for weeks. No matter how many times the old lady admonished her, Jasmine didn't change her habits. She would tell her "I promise tomorrow I will spend the entire day with him" and then by the end of the day "I had an important meeting, he will understand when he grows old, I'm doing all these things for him so he can have everything and live like a king". 

The old lady couldn't take it anymore, she had to break her promise made years before. She sat her up and told her about her son's fate "I have seen your son before you could have him, I have seen his life before he came, I told you before I can't tell you anything about your life and I stand by that but I will tell you about Angel, the reason I named him Angel is… He Is going to join them while he still drinks from their cup" Jasmine couldn't believe her ears, she thought she had changed, but no, and now she was saying her son was going to die. "How dare you insane woman, my son isn't going to die… He is not an angel.. He is not going to die,_" she yelled furiously, Her heart was beating fast, she felt all her blood rushing to her face, she stood to leave, she was going to take her son and never come back again, but her grandmother seized her hand with extraordinary force "your husband is going to call you in 7 seconds and tell you he isn't going to make it home early and that you can have your dinner without him". She shook her head in exasperation and yanked her hand, her phone rang, she picked it up distractedly and answered- it was her husband, he told her he wasn't going to make it home early and that she should have dinner without him. Jasmine's eyes widened, she stood there without moving for minutes, then she finally returned to her seat and looked in the old woman's face hoping she could change her verdict. Her grandmother put her warm, caring hand over Jasmine's with tears flowing. They sat there silently next to each-other for hours. 

The following day, Jasmine left her career behind her and spent every waking second next to Angel. She didn't spend her time with him grieving over the future awaiting them, but spent it in joy over the blessed present they had. 

October 10, 2020 00:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

This is an amazing story! Great job, especially the fact that it's your first one!! I think it is very interesting! Keep writing and have a great day! :)

Reply

S C
15:39 Oct 14, 2020

Thank you :) your comment made my day ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Krey
15:56 Mar 03, 2021

I liked the ending of this story, great moral to live in the present!

Reply

S C
19:55 Mar 03, 2021

Thanks:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sue Marsh
16:24 Oct 15, 2020

SC your storyline is very good, you need to work on your punctuation a bit, but that goes with the territory. For a first try, this is very good. Keep writing. Sue If you have a moment please, read For the Blood of Scotland and leave a comment.

Reply

S C
19:38 Oct 15, 2020

Thanks for your feedback, Sue! I will read your story asap 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Asmae Htalal
17:49 Oct 13, 2020

I love your style! The story is amazing and the events are well built. It would've been great if it was adapted to a movie later on.. You are really talented 👏👏

Reply

S C
18:01 Oct 13, 2020

Thank you dear :) glad u liked it ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
14:21 Oct 13, 2020

I think i'll go and give this story a 10/10 :) you did a great job with this story and i hope that you'll continue to make more stories.

Reply

S C
14:25 Oct 13, 2020

Thank you :))

Reply

B. W.
14:29 Oct 13, 2020

No problem ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.