Reflection of Fate

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story that involves a reflection in a mirror.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Horror Fantasy

Today was my eighteenth birthday. The wooden box from my grandmother sat on my black bedding. The gold key glinted in the yellow light of my bedroom. My hand shook as I picked up the key and turned it. A piece of velvet wrapped something heavy. With a sigh, the piece of velvet felt soft against my skin as I opened it. A scroll sat heavily in my hand. My fingers slipped losing grip of the scroll. In a tiny thump it crashed against the floor and rolled open. It read look in the mirror. Silently, I walked over to my mirror and just stared. My pale face stared back at me while my hands tugged at the bottom of my black t-shirt. My long violet hair hung around my grey eyes. Something seemed off as the surface of the black-framed oval mirror shimmered. My fingers poked the mirror cautiously. Shock filled my face as my hand went through it. I jerked my hand back out and examined it. Sighing, I walked through to be greeted to a purple forest. The nearby waterfall was black as night. Blue moonlight bathed me as nearby bush ruffled.

"I am Prince Onyx." A man with green eyes introduced himself. "Who might you be?" Nervously twiddling my thumbs, I turned to run away. In a flash of purple light he was in front of me. His silver suit glinted as he ran his hand through his long black hair. His hands played with my wavy hair. My eyebrows twitched angrily as I slapped his hands away.

"Where the hell do you get off doing that!" I shouted as he frowned. "You can't just touch a girl like that, you freak." Rolling his eyes, he crossed his arms.

"Well, we have an attitude problem." He snapped with a childish pout. "And to think I was going to make you my queen." Blood dripped down my palms as my jagged chewed nails dug in.

"Your queen!" I scoffed with a smirk. "I Violet Lily am not anyone's queen." Scowling, he handcuffed me with shiny bracelets being tugged by a long chain. An awkward silence hung in the air as he pulled me to a large onyx castle. A black cloud hung over it making it even more menacing. The black door crashed down in front of us. We shuffled through a hall of black ornate mirrors.

My eyes filled with terror as I saw he had no reflection. Panic and fear coursed through my hourglass figure as other people gathered around us. Suspicions were confirmed as hisses echoed throughout the long hallway. Fangs grew out of everyone's perfect teeth.

"A snack, your highness?" A blonde woman dressed in a purple gown questioned while licking her lips. Prince Onyx growled as he ripped out her dead heart and pulled off her head. My body quivered as he turned to the cowering vampires.

"How dare you suggest that your future queen is food to you vultures!" He bellowed as he dragged me through a set of black metal doors. With a burst of fury, he tossed me into the corner of a dark room. Clapping, a fireplace roared to life revealing a windowless room. The ruby walls taunted me as two coffins laid in front of me. My heart beat faster as he approached me. His black shoes shimmered as got to my level. His eyes flashed red as his teeth grew longer. Goosebumps popped up as my hair stood up. His teeth grazed my neck as he wrapped his cold arms around my small waist. A sharp pain exploded as his teeth sank into my neck. Gushing sounds rang in my ears as he sucked me nearly dry. The fireplace became fuzzy as darkness swallowed me. The last sound I heard was the crackling of the fire.

"You awake yet?" An impatient voice inquired. "Just wake up already." My eyes fluttered open to see a pair of annoyed green eyes glaring at me.

"What the hell did you do to me you freak?" I interrogated while slapping him across his face. "Why the hell am I a vampire?" Growling he pinned me against a cold onyx wall. Fury poisoned his face while his hot breath burned my nostrils.

"You are the queen now." He growled as his face softened. "Please stay. You remind me of Lily. If you get dressed quickly, I will show you." I opened my mouth to protest, but he stopped me. His hands dropped to his side as I crashed to the ground with a dull thud. Pointing to a black wardrobe, he left the room. The key clicked in the lock as I tried the crystal knob. Damn he locked me in. Groaning, I went over to the wardrobe and opened it. My heart fell to my stomach as I saw a sea of black lace and ruffles. One dress stood out to me. The black velvet slid over my cold skin. The bell sleeves flared out over my dainty hands. In a moment of curiousness I touched my hair. A chocolate wavy brown slipped through my fingers like a piece of silk nearly touching the grey floor. Wonder had entrapped me so badly that I didn't hear him come in.

"I figured you would pick that one." Onyx teased gently as he slipped a ruby necklace around my neck. "I am so sorry for everything that I have done to you. I am acutely aware that there is no excuse for my behavior." Spinning around, his pale face was flushed bright red.

"Well, it can't be undone." I exclaimed with a soft smile. "An apology is a good place to start." His feet shuffled nervously, as he looked away. His fingers snapped and we stood in front of a black curtain. A gold rope hung on his side of the curtain. With a tug, he revealed a carbon copy of me. Her chocolate hair was up in a large bun. Her scarlet dress blazed against her pale skin. Salty tears fell out of Onyx's eyes.

"She was the first and only person I ever killed." He stated with a sad look in his eyes. "She was my wife when I got turned into this. I can only drink the blood of my true love. You have her soul." I opened my mouth to speak, but couldn't speak. He was still human in a way. My heart ached for him as he suddenly seemed familiar.

"Okay." I numbly mumbled. His face lit up as he grinned widely.

"Okay, what?" He asked with an excited glint in his eyes. Rolling my eyes, I realized he needed to hear it.

"I will be your queen." I paused with a defeated look that hid my urge for him. "Only if you become a decent man. Do it for me." He wrapped his arms around me and spun me around. Time stopped as we looked in each other eyes. He leaned in and pressed his cold lips against mine. Pulling away, we both blushed red as the walls around us. Who knew where a mirror could take you?

July 09, 2021 19:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.