21 comments

General

Wednesday, 2 June 1954  9:32 am

Our baby girl, named Turquoise, was born EXACTLY one year ago. You are a beautiful girl, with fair skin, nice brown eyes and shiny blonde hair. Your first word was Mamma, and you have a lazy eye.  You are the most lovable creature EVER! When you were 6 ½ months old you started crawling. You’re also very talkative (mostly babbling)! Every year, on your birthday, I will write in this journal until you are old enough to write by your self! I can’t wait till you start talking and reading!!! But goodbye now, I’ve got to go!

 

Thursday, 2 June 1955  10:00 am

Like I promised, exactly one year later. Turquoise, you have seemed to be the smartest little girl EVER! You already speak almost completely clear sentences! Your favorite foods are bananas, mac, avocados, and chocolate milk, and your favorite word is “Play”!  Aww, you’re such a cute angel! Oh, by the way, when you read this, Turquoise, it’s your mom talking. Well, more like writing. Anyway, people say we look a lot alike, but I don’t think so. You look a lot like both your father and I combined. But you have been begging for a sibling! Good news! I might be pregnant! I hope I am! I miss when you were tiny!

 

Friday, 2 June 1956  11:50 am

Hi! Once again, I am back, EXACTLY ONE YEAR later! Guess WHAT! I WAS PREGNANT! I gave birth to a boy named Luther! He looks like you! But Turquoise, I have unfortunate news… I have lung cancer… But honey, everything will be fine! I’m only 25! It’s because I was a smoker when I was in my teens. I can fight it off, I hope! You have been growing each and every day! You are the sunshine in my day! Even the bad ones! I am going through chemotherapy! It’s hard sweetie… I AM STRONG ENOUGH THOUGH! Goodbye, sweetie!

 

Saturday, 2 June 1957  8:26 am

So far you and Luther are growing into healthy children! I can’t believe that you are 4 years old! You just began preschool, and already made several friends! I can’t explain how important you are to me! Both you and Luther mean EVERYTHING to me! DON’T EVER FORGET THAT! Yes baby I am still fighting off this cancer! I have been getting better each day… Your father is strong and makes enough money for us if you are wondering. Back to you though! You have told me about your friend, Lola, and how your teachers are great!

 

Saturday, 2 June 1962  1:57 pm

Your 9! Happy birthday sweetie… I don’t know how much longer I will be able to fight this off… Its been almost 7 years. You are in 4th grade though! You and Lola are still friends. She is a great girl,  Turquoise! You make the best friends! I can’t believe how well you get along with your younger brother! Well, I knew you would! Honey, I am sorry I haven’t written for 5 years… My cancer got more serious and I could barely sit up! The chemo took a toll on me. You realize I might not be alive for much longer. I WILL TRY MY HARDEST! I want to be alive for your 10th birthday! I want to give you this journal! By the way, your father doesn’t know I did this! Don’t tell him until you get it! Ok?  He will make me stop writing for you! I can’t do that!

 

Monday, 3 June 1963  12:59 pm

Mom just died. Hi. This is Turquoise. I know she tried. Also, I found this for me on my bed saying “from: Mom to: Turquoise”! I love you! I realized I broke the chain of doing an entry each year on my birthday. I can’t stop crying! I miss her so much! My little brother is on my lap right now chanting “LET ME TALK TO MOMMY!” I looked at him and started crying again. He can't talk to mommy through here. I wish we could but we can't! Mom is gone! She isn’t ever coming back! EVER AGAIN!

 

Monday, 2 June 1964  1:32 pm

It’s been more than a year. Mom, I know the rule, every year… I miss you! Everything is weird! I want to know why you decided to not give it to me sooner. I should start writing about myself though. I guess this journal is about me. Well, I am 11 years old, I wear glasses, and my bff is Lola. I’m in 7th grade. I have quite a few friends. I am popular and missing you more each day! I wish I would've spent more time with you! Especially when you were in the hospital.

 

Tuesday, 2 June 1970  9:00 am

I’m now 17.  I should have written sooner, but what would I even write about?? I failed the last entry and I don’t know what to write about. I mean, I have a boyfriend now. He is very caring! His name is Garrette! See mom? Just like dad! I mean, dad's name is Garett, so spelled differently. Dad met him! I wish you were alive to meet him… Me and Lola have lost touch, but I met another girl named Natelle. Speaking of Nattelle we are supposed to hang out later! I think we are going to the mall! I still miss you, I love you!

 

Wednesday, 2 June 1971   5:30 pm

Mom… It’s been 8 years… I need you here! My boyfriend broke up with me! Nattelle no longer talks to me! I CAN’T DO THIS ANYMORE! I lost you, then Lola, my boyfriend and finally Nattelle. I have lost everyone that I am close with! WHY? I know you think I make the best friends but I don’t! I am officially going to be alone forever! :( This is sad it took me 18 years to figure this out! I… Don’t… Know… What… To… Even… Do! I've got to go to school… I’m sorry if this is the last thing I ever write… Bye.

 

Wednesday, 29 September 1971  11:15 pm

Hi, this is Garett. Honey, our own Turquoise got in a crash… She was drinking and driving… Intoxicated I would say. She is at the hospital, but we don’t know how bad her injuries are… I will update you later.

 

Wednesday, 29 September 1971  11:30 pm

Update, Honey- bad news… Turquoise broke her leg and arm… She also probably will have some memory issues. The car got totaled! Turquoise has no memory of what happened besides her going out with a couple of friends. Hold on, Turquoise is calling me-

 

Thursday, 30 September 1971  1:00 am

Update, in a week Turquoise can come back home! Aren’t you excited? Our baby Turquoise is fine, Luther is also fine! We all miss you! But bye, we are back on the one-year thing again!

 

Thursday, 2 June 1972

Hi mom. This is Turquoise. I am sorry about last year… I’m officially 19. I am going to college and majoring in education! Like you… I don’t have a boyfriend yet, nor a best friend, but when college comes I bet I can make a bunch more friends! But mom… I love you! For now on I am done writing. I mean, I would love to write more, but I think it should be Luther’s turn! Even though I know it is for me. So bye! 


April 06, 2020 20:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

18:47 Sep 01, 2020

Awesome job! I enjoyed the story! I also really liked the names. They were super unique, I don't think I ever heard the names Luther and Turquoise before. And I would say there isn't enough detail but then again it is a diary and you don't normally put that much detail into diaries. One small thing, We didn't really get to know Turquoise in the story and I would have liked to of been able to get to know her a little better. When you said she was Drinking and Driving I assumed she was a ¨bad girl¨ but the other times she sounded r...

Reply

Ivy Spade
15:20 Sep 03, 2020

Yeah, I know I should have added ways you could have gotten to know her... For the names, I got help from some of my friends. Thank you though!

Reply

15:25 Sep 03, 2020

No problem!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:23 Sep 03, 2020

Hey! I know this is sorta a random comment thread but you say in your bio that you give people story ideas, so I was wondering if you could give ME one. Just a random one off the top of your head. :)

Reply

00:10 Sep 04, 2020

Sure! Do you want to give me any more info about what you are looking for... Romance, for this weeks prompts, etc. Or just a completely random idea?

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:16 Sep 04, 2020

Oh, um, romance... I'm a sucker for romance, so why not lol.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Virginia Lamb
23:46 Apr 15, 2020

Um, where to start? Way too many exclamation points. Too much caps. Not enough details, and very simplistic language. I was told turquoise was smart but wasn't told how she was smart and in what ways. Things like that.Also, it's not very realistic someone getting cancer just from smoking while in their teens. I found it very hard to identify with the main character because it wasn't very realistic or relatable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
14:23 Dec 29, 2021

Whoa! Really nice how you sometimes escalated through the years and sometimes kept it slow. I loved the last entry. Maybe you could write a story where Luther continues the entries?

Reply

Ivy Spade
16:01 Dec 31, 2021

Thanks! I might make a part two-

Reply

Dhwani Jain
10:27 Jan 01, 2022

😁😁😁😁 You know there's a girl in the world waiting for that

Reply

Ivy Spade
22:07 Jan 02, 2022

Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
11:02 Oct 22, 2020

Lovely. Just freakin' lovely.

Reply

Ivy Spade
13:20 Oct 22, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Sia S
16:44 Oct 22, 2020

:)!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Eian Wright
19:39 Apr 16, 2020

I liked the story. Quite a lot. With that said, I'm supposed to give you some critique, so here we go. The main thing that I saw was lacking in this story was character development. I felt like we never got to know who Turquoise really is. It's kind of as if the characters in the story only reacted, but never acted. With that said, great story. Keep it up!

Reply

Ivy Spade
21:15 Apr 16, 2020

Thanks! I am new to writing so I will try to get better at that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Ato
20:11 Apr 15, 2020

Love the story. Very talented writers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Flora N
20:00 Apr 15, 2020

Creative story and great attention getter with the title!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.