26 comments

Mystery

“Where on Earth did you get a plane from?” Dad asked with alarm. A moment before, he had called on the Good Lord to explain what he saw before him. They were in a large, stark, wood-and-concrete hangar on a disused airfield. Tom stood there beside a plane.

Actually, it was more of a plane-in-progress. Mum and Dad came to realise this as their initial shock wore off a little. When you got a side-view of it, you couldn’t help but notice that it had no seats and that where there should be a control panel, there was nothing but a view into the hollow inside of the nose. Its bolts and joins were visible, a grey patchwork shell of a plane. With its belly open and empty like that, you felt like you were looking into a wound in the body of a great, silent beast undergoing surgery. Its flimsy wings looked like they were made out of some kind of stiff fabric, perhaps leather; they were really more like sails than wings.

Tom had his hands behind his back and he was leaning slightly away from his parents, squinting at them as if they were members of an exotic tribe whose customs he didn’t understand. He looked at them like that at least once a day. Mum said it was because he read a lot of books.

When Tom said he had built the plane, Dad’s next question was immediate.

“Why on Earth are you building a plane?” He had his face screwed up as if he couldn’t see Tom clearly – as if it was very early in the morning and he had not yet put his glasses on, or as if Tom was standing the other side of a dirty window.

It seemed like a reasonable question, but Mum scoffed. They had lived with Tom for twenty-four years. It was a long time since she had sought to understand why. She took comfort from the fact that the thing was empty – it was just some kind of model. What was the harm? It was something to keep Tom occupied, at least. The next time the neighbours asked “What’s Tom doing these days? He’s not still at home, is he?” she would have something to tell them. She put her hand on the wing experimentally. Its material felt unsettlingly like skin beneath hers and, she realised, it had something of a skeleton underneath. It didn’t feel like part of a machine at all, but something living. It was rather as if the plane was growing here organically, and Tom some kind of farmer. Dad was looking at those wings uneasily.

“Why are they like that?” He asked. Mum just scoffed again.

The airfield was shockingly cold, as if the bad weather was concentrated on this one area. Its surface was uneven and overgrown, giving the impression, against the grey sky, of some kind of wild moorland. As they headed grimly back towards the car, Tom walked behind his parents. He didn’t like to look too closely at their faces; otherwise he would notice the shallow lines that had begun to steal over their faces in the last ten years like the tendrils of some malevolent, creeping plant, and the grey hairs that hovered around their temples. When his mum smiled at him encouragingly in the rear-view mirror, he thought about how she would soon be old, crippled with regret and sickened by nostalgia. Once Jimmy had grown up enough not to need them anymore, and it would happen sooner than they chose to believe, his parents would find themselves without purpose. Their smiling lips would fall slack, their dancing eyes would turn into cold grey pebbles. He could see it coming for them as clearly as if it were prophesised.

There was a sense of urgency to his project. Once they had a plane, they could soar out of reach of the slowly closing fist of time.



Jimmy, the youngest child, was wild when he heard the news.

“Are we really going to fly in it?” He demanded. He wanted wings. He wanted them so hard that he could already feel them on his back.

“Yes.” Said Tom.

Jimmy was the product of a happy childhood. He had pink cheeks and curious eyes. His tantrums were transient and his cheerful humour enduring, born of the overriding confidence that good things were bound to happen. He was cheerfully convinced of his own immortality and of the infiniteness of the cycle of school days and weekends.

When the summer holidays came, he and Tom would sometimes sit in the garden watching the birds. From their garden, you could squint up at the bit of sky that was above the dual carriageway, where strong currents of air made for an invisible overhead playground. The sky was painfully bright, frighteningly blue, and the birds were nothing but black sketches against it, but they were worth watching. You would see them circle and circle, angelic, as if in slow motion. Then, without warning, they would drop out of their orbit, plummeting straight for the earth like falling stars before curbing their gradient and soaring again, now on a different plane.

“They tuck their wings in.” Tom said to Jimmy, not taking his eyes off them. “So they lose all their lift and they just fall. Head first.”

“Cool.” Jimmy declared. Before long, he got bored and raced off to lift the flowerpots and hunt for woodlice cowering underneath.

Tom had lived in the world far longer than Jimmy had. He knew of the cold dawn of awareness that would come with his brother’s teenage years. It would turn him into a young man who looked like Jimmy but no longer squeezed shut his eyes when he wanted something because he was sure that it would be there when he opened them. Tom saw this coming like a tidal wave for his flimsy cannon-ball brother. The only way to spare him was to finish the plane.




The middle child was a girl, Jessica. Tom hadn’t feared for her in the same way he had feared for his brother. She rolled her eyes at the idea of his plane, the way she rolled her eyes at everything.

“I’ll build it.” Tom said.

“I don’t care.” She snapped back. This was her official stance on almost everything, but Tom knew that it was not true. Jessica shared the same humour as her younger brother, and when caught off-guard she could often be found hooting with laughter with Felix and Lorraine, her head thrown back, her cheeks wet with tears.

She begged to be allowed to go to Felix’s older sister’s party, fierce-eyed and riled up with preemptive indignance. She had the same attitude as Jimmy had when he demanded an answer to an unanswerable question, like how much air is there?. It was the same energy with which Mum had always been determined to encourage Tom in whatever he showed an interest in, as a child psychologist had once advised her to do.

The phone rang at eleven-thirty that night: Jess, asking to be picked up.

“Tell me what’s wrong.” Tom heard Mum demand as they came through the front door half an hour later.

“Nothing.” Jess snapped. “It’s whatever. I don’t care.”

Tom came out of his room to the top of the stairs. Jess felt cornered.

“I had nobody to talk to all night, OK?” She yelled. “Felix and Lorraine just wanted to show off to Felix’s sister’s friends. I don’t even care!”

She stormed up the stairs. Tom caught a glimpse of her face, briefly illuminated in the hall light on her way past, captured like a photograph.

He saw the doubt that had begun to cultivate its toxic blooms in her mind, nightmarish. She was beginning to see that things wouldn’t always be the same, that her friends would let her down, that people were tragically three-dimensional. The only way to be truly happy is to believe that you will be happy forever, and that belief was about to be robbed from her. Tom knew that he needed to hurry up with his building.



Tom noticed a rustling in one of the borders of the garden. Down here was a complex, booby-trapped world compared to the clarity of the sky above. Peering more carefully, he spotted a bird flailing around in the narrow trench between soil and leaves, agonised. It managed to struggle out onto the lawn where it floundered helplessly. One of its wings was dragging on the ground. Its glossy eyeballs rolled in morbid terror.

“Oh, no!” Jimmy wailed in dismay. “Will he be OK?”

Tom shook his head. “It’s going to die down here.” He said. He didn’t look back up at the birds which still circled overhead: it would be far too painful a contrast between those flying and this one, their comrade, condemned to the terrible weight of gravity and reality.



It was with an obsessive intensity that Tom finished his plane, oiled the wheels, varnished the sides. By the time he painted it name on the tail in clumsy, uneven writing, it was May again. The thought of all that time having passed made him bounce on the balls of his feet, agitated. He ran his finger over the name for reassurance. Oblivion.

“I can’t believe this is happening.” Dad said grimly.

“Come on!” Jimmy demanded, bounding after Mum and Tom into the hangar. Dad met Jess’ eye and she made a face, but her scepticism was half-hearted. Dad saw her glance after the others and laughed at her.

“Come on, then.” He said, nudging her with his elbow, comforting himself with the knowledge that it would never actually fly.

“Is it a helicopter?” Jimmy asked doubtfully, touching the cold metal of the propeller on the nose. The plane was as tall as Dad at the front, then sloped gradually down along its length before flaring up again at the end.

“Don’t be stupid.” Jess said, hitting him on the shoulder. She was looking at Tom and beaming. “It’s a plane.”

Dad was touching the wings in horror. They were still those strange, prehistoric-looking sails. They looked impossibly flimsy, each one comprised of three boned sections.

“Are you sure this thing is sturdy, Tom?” He said, running his hand along the edge of one.

“Yes.” Tom said impatiently. “It’s based on a bird’s wing. That’s why it’s articulated.”

Dad stared at him.

“Don’t tell me it flaps.” He was overwhelmed by a dreadful image of the uncoordinated machine flailing in the air and the five of them helpless inside, rattled around like beans in a can. Tom shook his head.

“It doesn’t flap.”

Jimmy had his nosed pressed to the curved plastic hood, peering at the display of pilot’s controls. Dad tried to remember for the hundredth time that the thing would never get off the ground anyway.

“Let’s get it out, then.” Mum said, her eyes wide with something between disbelief and apprehension.

They pushed it out onto the airfield. Dad got in first, next to Tom and Mum, Jess and Jimmy behind.

“Let’s go! Let’s go!” Jimmy demanded, wild with excitement. Jess gave into his enthusiasm and bounced in her seat, her expression youthful and cloudless again for the first time in months.

“It’ll never get off the ground.” Dad muttered reassuringly.

Jimmy and Jess both cheered as Tom pulled the hood over the top of all of them with a whoosh. Instantly, they felt totally removed from the world outside, as if they had just dived into water. Dad worked hard not to be reminded of some kind of casket.

“You’re sure you know how to fly this thing?” He said.

“I built it.” Said Tom. Then it was too late to change their mind.



The noise of the propeller was deafening and unbearably exhilarating, and they could do nothing but look at each other in wonder. Then the plane started to roll forwards on its wheels, bouncing over the unmaintained ground of the airfield that was no longer meant for flying. Oblivion gained ground speed until the trees along the edge of the airfield were nothing but a blurred border. Then she caught lift and they were suddenly off the ground, rising, the propeller going like crazy, none of them breathing but instead all of their muscles tensed as if they could that way contribute to her gradient. By the time they reached the end of the airfield, the trees below were the size of scattered coins, and they kept climbing, watching the dual carriageway become a noodle, then a thread. The passengers were no longer aware of one another, each mesmerised by how the ground below had become a map.

They climbed to 5000 feet, and the entire world opened up beneath them. Dad looked at Tom, speechless. Jimmy began whooping, unable to control himself, jumping up and down, craning his head wildly to see everything. Mum tried to hold him still, but she was distracted by the fact that they could now see the railway, and the lake, and the scattered fragments of woods and the patchwork layout of the fields. The edges of the leather wings fluttered like a flag, cushioning the turbulence of the air.

“This is amazing.” Mum said, unable to hold in her smile. Jimmy screamed with delight.

“I wish we could stay up here forever.” Jess said.

That was Tom’s cue to press the button which cut the propeller and folded in the wings.



Anyone watching from the ground in town would have seen the plane, a black dot against the bright sky, suddenly pitch sickeningly towards the ground, steeper and steeper as it gained speed until it was in a vertical downwards trajectory. They would have seen it disappear behind the buildings.

July 21, 2020 08:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Jade Young
08:42 Jul 25, 2020

This is a very good story! I like how the Oblivion was created to transport the family away from their troubles and worries of the world. Your descriptions were amazing and you had me engrossed in your story from beginning to end🙌🏽

Reply

Juliet Martin
08:47 Jul 25, 2020

Thanks Jade! I appreciate your feedback and glad you enjoyed :)

Reply

Jade Young
08:48 Jul 25, 2020

You're welcome! If you have the time, could you check out my story "Fragments of The Past" and tell me what you think?

Reply

Juliet Martin
09:06 Jul 25, 2020

Of course, will do!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
22:47 Sep 01, 2020

I love your writing style! Great story

Reply

Juliet Martin
13:41 Sep 02, 2020

Ah thank you so much! Really appreciate your comments:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea K
00:05 Aug 25, 2020

I love how you write descriptions—and that twist! Great story!

Reply

Juliet Martin
21:46 Aug 25, 2020

Thank you! Appreciate you reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
23:20 Jul 31, 2020

A well-written story, Juliet! The first sentence hooked me to keep on reading and the story flowed well! Would you mind checking my recent story, "A Very, Very Dark Green?" Thank you :)

Reply

Juliet Martin
08:08 Aug 03, 2020

Thanks for your feedback! Sure, will do

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
06:21 Jul 30, 2020

Great story!!! Amazing descriptions. The twist was also great. Loved it. Would you mind reading my story "The secret of power?"

Reply

Juliet Martin
07:06 Jul 30, 2020

Thanks! Yes, will do

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Courtney Stuart
00:54 Jul 28, 2020

this was an incredibly intense and twisted story! i felt a sense of unease as i was reading it, but i thought it was nothing UNTIL i reached that ending. wow. excellent writing, as always! :)

Reply

Juliet Martin
07:21 Jul 28, 2020

Ahh thank you Courtney! I'm so glad you think it is intense and twisted haha, that's what I was aiming for :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
04:15 Jul 27, 2020

This is a brilliant story! The descriptions are amazing and the story flows so smoothly. The ending is also great. One thing, you have written 'looked at Tom and beaming'. Maybe it should be beamed. Otherwise, fantastic story. Also, would you mind checking out my story if it's not too much trouble? Thanks and good luck!

Reply

Juliet Martin
08:11 Jul 27, 2020

Ahh thank you! Glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the constructive feedback - I'll definitely address it! Yes of course, will do

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:50 Jul 27, 2020

Wow intense story. Well done

Reply

Juliet Martin
08:10 Jul 27, 2020

Thank you, glad you thought so!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Blaauw
08:21 Jul 23, 2020

Woah, what a story! You’ve got the unexpected ending thing down, and again, you do it in a way that enhances the story. The references to birds in flight (and diving) and the theme of flight, breaking free, freedom, etc left me completely unprepared for the plunge at the end. And that was brilliantly handled because it suggests a crash but maybe, just maybe, Tom pulls up at the last minute. Like roller pigeons. That actually reminds me of how Hannibal Lecter uses roller pigeons as a metaphor for Starling’s character in Silence of the Lambs (...

Reply

Juliet Martin
12:00 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you so much! Really appreciate your feedback on the ending as I always find it hard to tell if it has the effect that I intended - I'm so glad that it was a surprise but you felt that it still tied in with the birds. Your in depth comments are greatly appreciated! Also thanks for the constructive note haha, that is not something I had noticed so I will definitely address it.

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
14:32 Jul 23, 2020

It’s hard not to go in-depth with great stories. I think good surprise endings need to catch the reader unawares but not in a way that makes them feel cheated, which you manage to do brilliantly. Your stories are very well thought out and carefully crafted, and that’s the reason they work so well. That’s not easy to do. In fact, I may need some advice on that from time to time.

Reply

Cypress Grey
01:18 Jul 27, 2020

Agreed - there's not much left for me to say about this piece because you seemed to have covered it all lmao

Reply

Juliet Martin
19:24 Jul 27, 2020

Ahh thanks for commenting anyway!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:19 Jul 29, 2020

WOW, that ending! 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩 Oh, and would you mind checking out my story ‘Rebel Prince’? Thanks! ~Aerrrrin!

Reply

Juliet Martin
17:25 Jul 29, 2020

Haha glad you liked! Of course, will do

Reply

18:05 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.