40 comments

Funny

“Listen to me, kids. To learn to snowboard, you must first learn how not to snowboard,” Tom, my instructor told us. Strapping in, he gently rode down the bunny hill, made a few seemingly uncomplicated turns, waved to a fellow instructor before turning and facing our group way at the top. He looked tiny down there. I wasn't sure he'd left us on a bunny hill. It quite possibly was a black diamond. Or a double black diamond. He was going to kill us.

“Come on down!” He called, interrupting my million-mile-per-hour-thought train.

"Yeah!" A girl whooped as she started downhill, making turns and almost crashing into an old lady before skidding to a stop by Tom. He steadied her before she sat down hard.

One by one, the group rode downhill until I was the only one left at the top. 

“See you in a sec!” I taunted with fake confidence, wiggling my hips to gain momentum. Fake it 'till you make it, right? Down the hill, Tom saw me coming and yelped in alarm. 

“Leslie! You’re going too fast!” 

“No I’m not!” I cheered. But even though the slope was gentle, I was, in fact, picking up speed, quickly closing the gap on the rest of the group. 

It was at this point when I discovered that while I knew how to start riding, I didn’t quite know how to stop. It seemed Tom's instructions were worth something, and not just white noise. If I managed to stop, I'd certainly commend the man. He knew how to get stuff done. But now, unable to stop and increasing speed surprisingly quickly, I was heading straight for the rest of the group. Seeing me coming, they all lept out of the way as I barreled toward them. Except for one kid, whose reflexes weren’t quite up to snuff. I clipped him as I shot past, knocking him into a snowdrift. He popped up, spitting snow out of his mouth, and yelled something at me. The wind whipped away his words, however, and I couldn't hear him.

Beyond the tree, the incline of the slope increased quickly - and so did my speed.

Bunny hills really needed a sign that read:

Beginners, beware. Not gentle, but rather steep. Or, I should have never strapped on my snowboard in the first place. That wouldn't have complicated things.

I slid over a bump in the run probably caused by another, more advanced, snowboarder making some fancy turns, and tumbled down. But I didn't stop. I began cannonballing downhill. In a cartoon, I would be a human-sized snowball, with arms and legs and my head poking out.

“Leslie!” yelled Tom. “Just fall down! That’ll stop you!” I heard him distantly behind me, but falling simply wasn’t my style. It would have made me look foolish and it would have been admitting defeat. Instead, I stubbornly stayed upright. And so I only made things worse, gaining more and more speed. Really, snowboarding needed to come with an instruction manual. Maybe a little infographic? Pictures would be nice.

I rounded the corner of the run and gasped, seeing that the run merged with the rest of the runs on the mountain. The intersection was flooded with people of all skill levels, from the most basic, to the most advanced. My skill level was detonation. Pure destruction. I was headed toward the busiest part of the run, the one crowded with skiers and riders, many just learning how to start and stand up. I sliced right in front of one group, forcing them to wipe out, then bowled another group over like bowling pins. I began making a noise I had never heard from myself before, a kind of uncontrollable, panicked scream: 

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!” My arms were pinwheeling wildly as I tried to figure out a way to stop. 

I couldn’t, though. Despite the large number of people on the slope, I seemed to be on a path to hit nearly every one of them. I cut some off, making them wreck, and careened off others, knocking them down. One skier crashed into a tree trying to avoid me, while yet another clanged into a ski-lift pole. Several others went sprawling and ended up spinning down the slope on their bellies, taking out still more skiers and riders on the way. A line of small children in a ski class toppled over like dominoes. And yet, somehow, I stayed upright throughout it all, gaining even more speed.

And then I hit the jump. 

It wasn’t a huge, Olympic-sized jump. It was only a medium-sized lump of snow. But it did the trick. I launched in the air and flew several feet. 

It turned out, in addition to not knowing how to stop, I also didn’t know how to land. My board bit into the ground and came to a sudden stop, but I didn’t. Instead, I sailed right out of my bindings and began tumbling down the mountain. My equipment flew off me as I went. One boot landed high in a tree. The other nearly impaled a passing snowboarder. My board ended up embedded in the ground like a fence post and a poor skier crashed into it. 

Eventually, I stopped tumbling and started sliding. My arms and legs stuck out around me like I was a giant starfish. I took out a few more people this way until I finally sailed off the run into the woods. I plowed headfirst into a snowbank, hitting it so hard I wound up embedded up to my shoulders. 

It took several minutes for my head to stop ringing and once I staggered out, Tom had made it to me. 

“Whoa,” he gasped. “That was the most epic wipeout I have ever seen.” I blushed, looking up at the slope and the tsunami of destruction I had caused. Skiers and riders were strewn everywhere, groaning in pain or shouting after me in anger. Luckily no one had been badly hurt, but there were plenty of sprains, sprawls, and busted equipment. It looked as though a panzer tank division had come through, rather than only a teenage girl. 

“So, have you learned anything?” Tom asked sternly. I considered the mess above me. 

“I don’t know what I’m doing.” I admitted, and Tom led me down the run, laughing.

November 09, 2021 02:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

Billbug -
01:13 Dec 24, 2021

I missed your stories so much, you have such a beautiful way of writing, no matter what the genre. You pulled of the humour here so well, your talent is amazing! I just saw your bio for TTD and I'm really excited to read the rewritten version. The original was stunning and now I can only imagine how much better it's going to get. Good luck with it! Also how's GOL getting along?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:53 Dec 27, 2021

:) Thank you so much! Aw the original was a mess but I'm glad you liked it :) GoL is going!

Reply

Billbug -
00:47 Dec 28, 2021

It was definitely far from a mess in my eyes. I’ve just reached chapter 9 of the rewritten version and it’s honestly amazing. I wish you so much luck with both TTD and GOL (:

Reply

Nainika Gupta
23:44 Dec 28, 2021

AWWWW ego boost lol awwwwwwwwwwww i'm so happy you're enjoying it!! I'm having so much fun with it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nainika Gupta
23:47 Dec 28, 2021

also....I wrote a poem for my creative writing class....would you like to read it on the doc? I can share the link with you if you'd like? AND side note LOVE THE pronoun page!! That's such a cool way of keeping track of things!! <333

Reply

Billbug -
00:13 Dec 29, 2021

Of course! I love poetry so much, I can already tell yours will be amazing (: Thanks! It’s a much easier (and less embarrassing) way of explaining it to new people I’m not comfortable with yet, also telling old friends I haven’t been in touch with in a while. It’s also a great way of updating things too if anything changes. :D

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:59 Dec 29, 2021

:)) cool here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nR7bakKSxeM3vvAh5LN1uWlzrnD0TvMonaUJqZwVJZk/edit and yeah! it's awesome :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
06:06 Nov 13, 2021

Welcome back Nainika!! Its so good to see you, btw as usual amazing story.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:29 Nov 14, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Haha, I loved this, especially cuz I snowboard too, XD I re-read TD again and IT WAS SO GOOD! I dunno if I'm blind but Gwyn's description is missing, but I'm probably just blind so it's fine also i realized that Gwyn killed Aranthir's father so yIkEs

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:28 Nov 14, 2021

:)) NO ITS NOT I PROMISE when you read it I was probably editing it on Grammarly lol - it's in there :)) SHE DOESSSSS isn't she spicy??!

Reply

LMAO- HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA OK SORRY FOR THAT LOL SPICY GIRL IN THE H O U S E

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:53 Nov 15, 2021

:))

Reply

hey nani mind giving me your character for a reedyscast?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:09 Nov 15, 2021

also...for trap the dragon, I was wondering if you could perhaps create a character for me? I really SUCK at drawing and I was looking at your doc and jesus you're sooooo good!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
19:03 Nov 15, 2021

uhhh yeah! what do you need?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nainika Gupta
19:03 Nov 15, 2021

like human...non-human....explain

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
09:17 Nov 10, 2021

A fun twist on the prompt, Nainika! You really know how to bring words to life, I was laughing like a bird choking on a seed the entire time reading this :') My skill level was detonation. Pure destruction. (I found this line especially funny hehe~) Great job!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:28 Nov 10, 2021

Thank you so much Danny!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
02:00 Nov 10, 2021

This was great Nainika! I loved the humor here and as usual, it was amazing! I really enjoyed reading this and it helped brighten my day. We need more stories like this! Great job, I loved it! :) :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:29 Nov 10, 2021

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
22:16 Nov 17, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Nainika Gupta
23:23 Nov 18, 2021

oooh lol sorry I had a bunch of tests today and didn't get much writing down lol - um, what do you mean? In terms of how I split the chapters/parts?

Reply

Unknown User
18:23 Nov 19, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:52 Dec 27, 2021

sure, i'll try to help lol. which part of the format?

Reply

Unknown User
04:17 Dec 29, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.