'Move on': Who are we without our memories?

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

6 comments

Crime Thriller Fantasy

Memories are our brains memory card. Most of us, don't know how information gets stored there. We have data on there that we wished we could erase. Few of us wake up one day and realize our data is gone. Who are we? that's the real question. Who are we without those memories?


The door opened to a beautiful creature with bright eyes.


"Beix?" asked the creature with shabby brown curls. 


Beix smiled. "Doko."


Doko moved aside to let the creature fly in. "I didn't think you were going to make it."


"I didn't think so too. You know how work gets...Sorry, I wasn't able to wrap it." Beix handed Doko a bottle of red sparkling wine. "Where's everyone?"


"Kitchen." 


Beix and Doko walked into the roomy kitchen. The smell of olive bread in the air.


"Beix!" screamed the other blonde creature in the apron as they hugged. "I knew you'd come."


" It smells amazing in here, Uria."


"Thank you. Others were very helpful."


"Emphasis on the very," said another oily creature that sat on the cabinets. 


"Where should we set up?" Uria asked.


"By the fire place"—Doko slammed the fridge—"I'll go move the couch."


Beix looked over to the towering creature. "Heux what's Doko's deal with the fire place?"


"I've learnt to ignore it."


The blue blanket that was spread before the fire place. A flower vase in the middle. Saucers, plates, dips , throw pillows, bean bags all set around it.


"Congratulations Heux," they said in Unison.


"Congratulations," Doko yelled. "Heux. This transfer had been what you've wanted since I can remember. This is a new phase, a new you. You'd be starting out but like always you'd be a force. "


"Thank you everyone,"Heux said as they settled down to eat.



Uria stared at Heux and Doko. "I've always wondered how you two met?"


"It's a looooong story." Beix said.


Uria asked "You know?"


"Oh no, That's the only response I get each time I asked Heux."


"Because it is," Heux defended.


"You should have asked me."—Doko sits up straight—"Okay, about twenty human years ago. I was still an intern. I got assigned to this kid, Mia, the sweetest kid you'd ever meet. I was assigned to help her, you know, move on. 


I'd been on earth for a couple of weeks and I don't know what to do with this kid. Poor kid, mum had just died, dad was locked up, drunkard uncle, court cases. I felt so helpless. I decided to—"


Heux interrupted, "Guess what he decided."


Uria scrunches her face. Her blue eyes scanning Doko. "I mean it's Doko. I'm guessing something irresponsible."


"He caused an accident."


"What!"


"Why would you do that, Doko?"


"I don't know. There was no rule that banned causing an accident."


"They shouldn't have to be. I mean that's why we're allowed to use our discretion"


"That's what I did."


"Why—"


"Holdup, enough with the questions. I'm the one telling the story. I thought that's the easiest way for her to move on. Make her forget the past and start afresh."


"Why would you—"


"I was going to make her remember later on. You're making me feel as bad Heix made feel."



Zein asked, "What accident?"


"Since the incident they lived in their grandmother's duplex in Georgia. The house was strong but old. They had a court sitting around noon. I played a little with the board on the stairs. And then she fell, boosh! hit her head. 



***


The dominating smell of antiseptic was in the air, with a faint scent of drugs that competed with the lingering of liquor. 


The girl on the bed looked peaceful. Unconscious, but peaceful. She had some peace after a long time.

A man in a blue suit paced about the private hospital ward as he ranted into the phone. His black hair was perfectly slicked back. He hanged up. "How did she fall?" 


"I don't know," breathed the disarrayed old woman, who sat beside the bed.


Another man rested his bald head on the wall as he stood cross legged. Khaki shorts displayed hairy tattooed legs.

Mia's mother, Stephanie, had given him those shorts. She always gave him the best presents. She was the only who gave him presents. The only one who remembered his birthday. The only one who wished him. 


Without opening his eyes the bald man said, "Doesn't make sense, that plank was steady. I mean we all stepped on it, before she did." His folded hands held the bottle of whiskey in place. 


His words momentarily stunned those conscious as they had assumed he was asleep or at least not sober enough to reason. They had forgotten he was there; it was unlike him to show up. 


"The court couldn't hold today. Great. Her testimony is very important. When is she going to wake up exactly?"


The old woman rested her head in the palm of her left hand. "I don't know, Lucas. We haven't talked with the doctor." 


Lucas phone rang again. "Got to go but keep me updated," he said and walked out.


Few weeks later...


Mr. Lucas bursted into the hospital room and startled the granny in the reclining chair. He threw his black suit jacket on the bed. "You made me drive all the way here—Didn't I tell you to keep me updated?"


She closed her eyes. "I forgot how to operate the phone."


"Why hasn't she woken up?"


"Ask her doctor."


"We should transfer her to another hospital"—He raised his voice—"You're slowing down my work."


"And you should keep it down"—Mia twitched—"Looks like she's coming around. Call the doctor."


Mr. Lucas came back in, but without the doctor only a lanky nurse. Mia's white patient robe accentuated the black blots on her pale skin. "Good, she's awake. She can finally testify," he said. 


"Is that all you care about?"


"That's all I'm paid to care about"—Lucas looked at Mia—"Are you okay? Are you good enough to go to court?"


"Ehmm... I think I'm okay...court? Why? ... Who are you?" Mia said looking around.


"It's me kid. Mr. Lucas, your dad's lawyer."


"My dad?"


"Yeah. Mr. Brunt."


"Who?"


"What do you mean kid? Don't play games."


Granny swiped Lucas hands off Mia's shoulder. "Don't scare her."


The doctor walked in.


"Doctor, great you're here. What's wrong with her?" Lucas asked.


"I had told you she got hit on the head really bad. Had a serious concussion."


"Yes, we know."


"We were waiting till she came around. As it is, we assumed right. It's strange; barely a scratch on her body but her hippocampus, the part of the brain that controls memory, was severely injured."


"What are you saying?"


"She has retrograde Amnesia."


"Is it temporal?"


"Probably, but we'll have to do some tests."


"Great. What are we going to do about the case?"


****


"And boosh. She wakes up with amnesia." Doko stuffed a piece of bread in his mouth.


"I can't believe you." Uria said.


"You better."


"This has to be one of the most unreasonable thing I've heard someone do at their job. What if she slipped into a coma? Or worse, died?"


"But she didn't. I take my job very seriously, Uria. I took a whole human month to perfect my plan, because I didn't want her to get hurt."


"Why didn't you use that time to think of another plan?"


Doko stuttered. "I...you... forget it."


Zein leaned into the group. "Hearing this reminded me of what I heard on earth today...that the pandemic was caused by a rookie. I mean at first I didn't believe it because well who would be that irresponsible at work, not even a rookie. But after listening to Doko. . . "


"Unless, it was you Doko?" Uria teased. 


Doko folded his hands. "Funny, really. I mean really."


Beix quickly swallowed the wine. "I work with management, it's not true. We do so much but they keep trying to make us look bad." 


"Don't worry. They'll get what is coming to them," Heux assured.


Zein asked, "So did it fix anything?"


Heux chuckled. "No. It didn't."


"Actually, it did. She stayed with her grandma. She wasn't grieving over her mother or worried about her dad and she couldn't testify so she wasn't involved in the court case. She had a fresh start. "


"Doko, but that wasn't your mission." Heux said. 


Uria asked, "Wait, did she later gain her memory?"


Heux shaked his head. "That's where the problem started."


"What happened?" Beix asked and picked the cup from the saucer.


"Doko didn't investigate properly, he jumped right in. "


Zein sits up. "What did he miss?"


"The girl had a diary."


The trio glanced at each other. One shot an eyebrow, the other shrugged and the last replied with an hand gesture.


"I didn't know that. Maybe I would have burnt it or ruined it or something," Doko said in an attempt to explain.


"Would make things worse," Heux replied.


"Wait!" Uria demanded." I don't understand. What's so important about the diary." 


"I told you in the beginning that Mia had insomnia, nightmares. The most repeated word in her diary is?"


"Forget." Heux said.


"I wish I could forget, if there's a fairy or a gene listening please grant this wish... If there's a God out there please hear this prayer." Doko said mimicking Mia. "That's why I was assigned there; to help her move on"


"Mia read the diary and immediately doesn't want to remember her past. It became very difficult to help her regain it."


"Maybe it's good she forgot." Zein said.


"She needed her past to live successfully in the present and reach the future."


****


Mia glares at the visiting door. "Granny, do I have to go in?"


"Yes, your dad wants to see you. Don't you want to see him?"


 "Why is he locked up?"


"A little misunderstanding dear. . . don't think about it too much. Your dad loves you."


Mia walked in. She noticed Mr.Lucas, nagging into the phone. Uncle Mike, with Miranda, his bottle of whiskey standing behind the only unfamiliar face, her father.

Granny said they had the same ocean blue eyes. Mia didn't see it; his eyes had a different tone. He was in an orange jump suit, his cuffed hands on the table. He was smiling. She rubbed her fingers against her sweaty palm as she sat down.


Mr. brunt smiled. "Hey, sweetie."


"Hey"— Mia looked at her grandmother for confirmation—"Dad?"


"You really can't remember me?"


"I'm sorry, I can't."


"It's okay. It's not your fault."


"We used to go on hikes together, arcades. We used to have so much fun. Maybe when I'm out, we'll go again. "


Mia nodded. "When would you be out?"


"Soon."


A couple of minutes later, Mia leaves with her Granny. 


Lucas dropped the case file on the table. "It doesn't seem Mia is going to recover her memory anytime soon." 


Mr brunt asked, "What are you going to do about the case?" 


"I've started walking out a plan. We might win this without the girls' testimony."


"I trust you know what you're doing."


Mr brunt looked at the door. "Maybe, it's a good thing she doesn't remember. Maybe you'd get you want, Mike... It will be easier for us anyways."


Mike inquiried, "What about when she remembers?" 


"It'll be too late then." Lucas said.


"We'll have to wait till then, don't we?" Mr brunt got up and made his way back to his cell.


****


Heux wiped mouth with a paper napkin. "Mia was living with her Grandma and there was no hope of helping to recover her memory. The court case ended and her father got acquainted.


Anyways after Doko's plan failed. He was summoned to give a comprehensive analysis and report on his mission."


Doko snuggles the throw pillow. "After the whole inquiry Big boss handed the case to Heux but he was kind of enough to let me assit. As big boss said it, 'I needed the working experience.' That everybody was how we met."


The trio mouthed ohhh.


"It took us over a human year to help her recover all her memories. It was a gruesome task. We had to use subtle and random things to dreams to strong and concrete materials. That was the longest I'd ever been on a job," Doko whined. "And another few months to get her to testify."


"Testify?" Zein said, "There's no need for that her dad already got out."


"Exactly."


***


"We the prosecutor would like to call, Mia Brunt, to the stand to give her eye witness account of the murder of Stephanie Brunt." The United States attorney, Vera walked up to the stand.


Vera points towards the defense table. "You know who that is ?"


"Sadly I do. I used to want to forget and I did. If I didn't get my memories back my mother would never get justice."


"Can you tell us about him?"


"That man over there. . .is my father. Mr. Morris Brunt. He—was a bad man. He would beat my mother till she passed out. He'd hit me too. Not only are this memories engraved in my soul they are also engraved on my skin. . . One time he threw a vase at me, thankfully he was drunk so it only scrapped my leg.


About five years ago my dad was almost charged with domestic violence. He hit her bad and she ruptured her spleen. He got away it because he said his rivals did it; and mom covered it up for him too. I didn't understand why but she said it's for my good.


When my mother got discharged he stopped hitting us, maybe he was scared of the law, I was wrong. He wouldn't physically hurt us but he'd starve us. Gave us inhuman punishment. On several occasions he made us kneel all day. He poured iced cold water on us and made us stand outside all night. He'd ask us to finish a bowl of salt. He'd ..."


Vera passed her the tissue box. "It's okay. Take your time"—she walked towards the jury—" I believe we can all see what Mr. Brunt he's capable of. This wasn't the first time he'd hit her. You must each have the hospital records and the confession of the auxillary nurse, Mr. Brunt hired when he could no longer take the victim to the hospital. The victim suffered physical, emotional and psychological truama till her death."


" Can you tell us what happened the day your mother, Stephanie Brunt, was killed?"


"My father had a business meeting; hence he was out in Vegas. My mother was pregnant"—a flash of suprise and guilt washed over Mr.Brunt and Mike—" I always wanted a sibling, hoped it was a boy. But then I pitied the baby.


So we ran. We were in this guest house in Florida. We had been there for a couple of days. I thought we had made it. I thought we'd be free. Then she got this call that made her so tensed. "


°

"Mother?" Mia had called sensing her distress.


"Listen to me. I want you to hide. No matter what happens don't come out. Don't make a sound. No matter what."


"You're scaring me."


She gripped her shoulders. "Promise me, Mia." 


"I promise." 


"Now, quickly hide." 


Mia slipped underneath the queen size bed while Stephanie climbed back in bed. The sound of the door bursting open caused them both to shiver.


"Well, Stephanie. Nice. Nice place."


"Morris?" 


"Did you think I won't find you?"


"What do you mean ? You've misunderstood. We're not hiding. We came out for fun. I—"


The back of his hand connects with her left cheek with enough force that sends her plummeting to the ground. The connecting sound causes another round of shiver down Mia's spine.


"Do you think I'm stupid. Who asked you to leave the house?"


"I—I—"


He pulled her up by the hair. Brown locks falling into the leathered glove. He came prepared. "Where's the kid?"


" She's outside somewhere. She wanted to play outside, you know she doesn't really go out much. I'll go call her for you and you'd play together."


"Don't lie to me."


"Why would I?" 


He drags her towards the living room. "Check for her around the room Mike."


Mike rumages through the room. He looked under the bed and saw the petrified girl. At that moment all he could see was Stephanie.


"Did you see her?" 


" No—she's really not here," he said joining them.


"Check outside."


Mia could hear Mike leave, hear him shut the door.


"I've had enough of this Stephanie. I think you have too."


"No—please—please Morris," Stephanie begged. "I love you. You know I love—"


Mia had assumed the last line was for her. She said I loved you back in her heart. The sentence was cut short by a whimper. Mia listened carefully. She feared the worst. She could no longer hear her mother or her breathing or her wailing. She wanted to run out. She wanted to scream. But she remembered her mother's words,


"Don't come out. No matter what. Don't tell anyone what might happen. You weren't here. Listen to me. You were outside playing but you got lost. They'll try to find you, hopefully I'll be the one but whoever it is would ask you questions. But you weren't here, you were outside playing but you got lost. Remember. You were outside playing but you got lost. When the coast is clear leave through the window to the third street and keep walking. Walk back and forth. But don't come back till someone finds you. You know what to tell them. You were playing but you got lost."


She hadn't understood why but she did now.


Mike walks back in. "I didn't see Mia—What did you do man?"



"What I had to." Mr brunt said wrapping the crimson knife in his blood stained gloves.

He looked around the room. He smirked. He walked out.



". . . He stabbed her not once. He stabbed her too many times. "


***


"Eventually Mr. Brunt got the life sentence. Mia lived with her grandmother. Now she's got a fiance. She made me consider being a guardian but I'd enough of the human world. Heux and I were partners for over two years, we've gotten used to each other."


"Adapted to each other." Heux said.


Beix concluded, "Explains it."


"Now that you know Uria, tell me about your adventures with Shakespeare "


January 15, 2021 23:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Marianna Mills
12:58 May 30, 2021

Ohhhh what a story!! Rich, full of character context, involving story of abuse and murder and Mia's accident, you really have some talent going on, I think in a short story a few less characters would have made it easier to follow, I think if you just had one story teller and maybe one other listener - short stories generally don't have as many characters as that did, and I would have listed is as fantasy. A few typo's, always proofread carefully, add an extra period after sentence endings. Other than that very little criticism, loved the...

Reply

Yuk Yuk
17:58 May 30, 2021

Thank you very much for the comment and for your vote on favorites Now, I realize that there were a lot of Characters. I remember having fun writing this, but now I can only cringe. Yes, typos. I read and read and each time I see something to correct. I'm still doing my research and hopefully I can avoid the mistakes in the first place. I've changed it to fantasy.

Reply

Marianna Mills
18:31 May 30, 2021

That's the idea, we all need to continue to learn and practice makes perfect, a good idea is to take some notes, jot down stuff, add or scratch then write, read, edit, that's what I do now. no more than 3 times max. after that it's done deal, move on. I am also working on stuff I don't put out here, not applicable, for my course, this is just for fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marianna Mills
18:32 May 30, 2021

That's the idea, we all need to continue to learn and practice makes perfect, a good idea is to take some notes, jot down stuff, add or scratch then write, read, edit, that's what I do now. no more than 3 times max. after that it's done deal, move on. I am also working on stuff I don't put out here, not applicable, for my course, this is just for fun. normal to make mistakes, its correcting them that's the tedious part. personal editors would be awesome but they cost money

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marianna Mills
18:33 May 30, 2021

That's the idea, we all need to continue to learn and practice makes perfect, a good idea is to take some notes, jot down stuff, add or scratch then write, read, edit, that's what I do now. no more than 3 times max. after that it's done deal, move on. I am also working on stuff I don't put out here, not applicable, for my course, this is just for fun. normal to make mistakes, its correcting them that's the tedious part. personal editors would be awesome but they cost money

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuk Yuk
23:59 Jan 15, 2021

Favourite character: Mr. Lucas. Favourite Line: "That's all I'm paid to care about." and "who are we without our memories?"

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.