62 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Sometimes, the canvas stays blank.

Even when the ideas are there. But, if the idea isn’t a winning idea, why bother? Naomi exhaled. She spun her brush around her fingers. The drops of paint on her palette board, seven different colours, had already begun to dry. It wouldn’t be long until the candle melted to nothing, too.

Better get to it. Are we starting today or tomorrow?

She ignored the thought. A light breeze passed by, fluttering the curtains, warm air in Tien’s summer. The nation of art and forestry. Conquered once, freed, now twice as proud. Naomi stopped spinning her paintbrush. People always love to see art of their home, don’t they? She dabbed the brush in water, wet the colours on her palette board, and began.

A couple minutes became hours. Moonlight glowed, reflecting off the glass of her table-side lantern. She replaced the candle between brush strokes. A verdant green worked for the forest, foliage dense and almost overbearing. Enough roots spread across the dirt to trip somebody a dozen times over. A deer, Tien’s favourite animal, drinking from a clear pond-

Naomi stopped. She sighed, then dropped her brush into the water bucket.

“What am I doing?” she mumbled.

Oh, is it that time already? Okay, grand reveal, what do we have here?

“Another mess,” she said. “Something I hate, and I already want to burn it. Set it aflame. It’s all been done before. Nobody would like this.”

Good thinking. Throw it into the trash, try again next week.

“I can’t keep doing this. How do I…” Naomi tapped her fingers against her palette board. The deer looked wrong. No life to it. The pond had zero depth. A glimmer existed on the water without any sunlight above. Another failed idea. Would’ve come off as an insult to the people of Tien. A waste of time.

Well, what were you saying?

“How do I stay relevant if I don’t paint for weeks at a time?”

Why are you asking yourself? You know the answer. Paint something decent.

She breathed in. Out. Naomi stood, stretched, and made her way to the washbasin. She scrubbed the palette until it shined. Washed her brushes until they looked like new. Set up a fresh canvas, fully opened the blinds to the starlight, then took a seat.

“I’ve won a couple times,” she said. She set herself up, dotting her palette with a new array of colours. “I’ve been runner-up even more. At my age, I’m as good as it gets. These other artists should all be worried.” Naomi readied her brush, spinning it around her fingers. “This…shouldn’t be hard.” 

Let’s try again.

She nodded. A new idea, then. Clear skies and pegasi abound—the unstoppable flying cavalry of Middknight. Home. Riders with their bright, cyan-coloured jackets, lined with plates, a lion in mid-roar engraved on the right shoulder. Who in Tien wouldn’t want to see a painting of their neighbouring country, who had rushed to their aid during the great war?

Pegasi done in a pearl white. Skies a light blue. The moon descended outside, and the early morning birds made their appearance. Chirps and whistles. One landed on the windowsill, viridian green with red eyes, and watched as she painted the clouds grey. Silver for the riders' swords…then…

This one, too?

“Quiet,” Naomi said. 

Maybe you’ve lost it.

“Shut up. I can paint. I’m good at it…” The pegasi didn’t look right. How high were their wings supposed to be? And the clouds didn’t seem to match the rest of the painting. “Goddess be damned,” Naomi mumbled. She dropped her brush, then rested her hand against her forehead. “Nothing works.”

Why don’t we try something else?

“Like what?” she said. “This is it. This is what the judges want. I have to paint like this, because it’s what wins, and the Goddess knows I can’t paint what I like, because the judges won’t spare it a glance.” Naomi raised her head to the painting. Her eyes watered. “If I want to be the best damn artist there is, I have to win…”

Is it worth this madness?

“Yes,” she said. “Because it means everything to me.”

Naomi stood and wiped the tears on her sleeve. She walked over to her desk, its surface littered with crumpled papers—dozens of drafts all for one letter. She found a clean piece, a quill, then pulled up a chair. Naomi took a seat and sighed.


Miss Vali, she wrote.


I can’t get myself together. Every idea I have fails. I want to quit I’m trying my best to keep at it, yet everything I paint looks flawed. I don’t want anyone to see my work like that. 

I moved to Tien since it’s the kingdom of art, but now I’m out of place.

I’ve taken a break. It was hollow. I used to enjoy painting so much! Now I feel like I’m bent on winning, painting only for the judges, and have lost all passion along the way. I’m writing to you for advice, because, well, you’re the greatest person I’ve ever known. An unmatched foster parent. 

I’m sorry you have to hear from me like this. I know you raised me to be resilient to everything.


Naomi.


She read it over once, twice, then rested her head against the desk, and slept. Send it come morning, or whatever time it would be.


- - -


The days passed, one after the other. Night shifts at a soup kitchen—mornings staring at a blank canvas. Motivation nowhere to be found. A palette of dry paints always in hand. Doubtful thoughts louder than ever.

Knocking interrupted them. She got up, and opened the door.

“Naomi Amaya?” a messenger asked. A leather satchel lay opened at his side, a deer with thick antlers etched on the front. “Got a letter for you from Middknight.”

“That was fast.”

“That’s Tien for you. Tell your cavalry to keep up with us in skirmishes.”

“Ha ha.”

She closed the door, then turned, letter in hand. It couldn’t be good. Grief. Disappointment. Regret. Vali had always been compassionate, but tough. Naomi backed up, rested against the wall, then slid down until she sat on the stone floor.

She ran her thumb under the seal—a wax print of a lion.


Naomi, the letter read.


Let all those judges eat dirt.

Paint what you want. Be that kid who would beg me to buy her charcoal sticks, then stays up all night drawing void creatures and horrors beyond mortal comprehension. That’s you. You’ve made it this far. No reason you can’t stick with it.

And there are other contests, child! Don’t be bent on one that does not care for your style. There’s the whole world waiting for your talent. You need to keep your passion over everything—it’s worth it over keeping yourself up at night.

Know that I love you, Naomi. 

As you are in mine, you are the most important person in your life. 

Treat yourself that way. 


Valianne.


Tears escaped her eyes as she finished reading.

“I’ll try again,” she whispered.


- - -


Naomi spun her paintbrush around her fingers. A different set of colours took up her palette board. No nature this time, no landscapes, or anything bound to fail after a few hours’ time. She smiled. 

I doubt this will do well. The judges will laugh-

“They can all eat dirt. You know, I can’t believe we’re arguing over this, still.” She readied her brush—a painting of a leviathan from the void, with tentacles and sharp jaws, would catch someone’s attention. “I mean, you’re helpful, but I like you more when you’re quiet…er.”

With black and silver, she painted space and the surrounding stars. The world below rested as a small sphere on the canvas. The colossal beast, done in dark shades of purple, loomed above with its hundreds of eyes, sleepless and all-knowing. Its appendages shadowed the globe. Ready to consume and devour. Naomi laughed.

The voice in her thoughts had faded away.

For what could’ve been the first time in ages, she looked at her painting, and adored it.

July 04, 2022 17:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

62 comments

23:40 Jul 04, 2022

Hey Alex, I loved how you channelled this into an allegory (not sure if that's the right word) about a painting contest. I've been feeling the same thing this week, finding a broad 'easy' prompt is actually harder than a specific and difficult one. As I recall you have some interest in Japanese history, perhaps peruse a few of these podcast episodes and see if anything strikes you? I've been stuck this week on how to make a story set in the 2-26 incident relatable. Its a really fascinating event and I'd like to write a little history lesso...

Reply

Alex Sultan
02:18 Jul 07, 2022

Thank you, friend - I appreciate the read. I've been stuck on short story ideas for a while, so I thought, why not write about being stuck on ideas. I'm glad you liked it. And I will check out the podcast! Aside from some bits of Japan's history, I don't know too much on it, and wouldn't mind learning more - writing a samurai story at some point would be great.

Reply

08:35 Jul 16, 2022

Managed to complete the Feb 26th Japan story if of any interest.. it appeared to make the recommended list before sinking below the surface lol.. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/goffj2/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Katy B
14:16 Jul 18, 2022

Using visual art as a metaphor for writing is actually super helpful to think about. When it comes to visual art, it's easier to appreciate different styles. We distinguish between "high art," cute TikTok-style crafts, and art made just for fun or to give us a smile with relative ease. And we respect all of it! All have their own place and goal. So when we start to feel depressed about our writing - is it "good"? is it likeable? is it merely enjoyable in the writing? - your story is a refreshing reminder to take a step back and accept our ow...

Reply

Alex Sultan
06:17 Jul 21, 2022

Thank you for reading, Katy. I appreciate the kind words, and I really like your insight. I'm glad you liked my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommie Michele
05:12 Jul 18, 2022

Alex—you know how much I love your Middknight stories, and this one is no different. I think we’ve all been at this stage in writing at one point or another (as much as it killed me to commit to my short story series on my website over Reedsy, it was a situation like this that made my mind), and you portrayed it so accurately. I’m friends with a painter, and I like to say that all of us creative types are the same—we all tell stories, we just have different mediums. Anyways, I wanted to let you know how relatable this story in particular i...

Reply

Alex Sultan
05:34 Jul 21, 2022

Thank you for reading, friend. I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad you could relate to the story - my main goal for it was to capture that feeling of doing your own thing rather than just trying to win. I did recieve your newsletter! I thought it was really impressive. It's cool how you managed to put it all together - I do enjoy following it. I will let you know my thoughts on 'Streetlight' and 'Framed' when I can. I hope you are well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
22:55 Jul 04, 2022

Hello friend, What a wonderful tale you spun for us this week! Love the allegory here, which can basically be substituted for anything we do in our lives where pressure steals our excitement and passion. Always a pleasure to come back to these characters in this world. Whenever I see references to Middknight, it's almost like coming back to a familiar movie or novel series. It's funny how us creative types can also be our own worst critics, yes? At least I can relate to Naomi in this way. Hope you (Naomi) find that spark again.

Reply

Alex Sultan
02:14 Jul 07, 2022

Thank you for reading, friend - I appreciate the kind words. Naomi has always been my favourite character, and even when I feel like I hit a wall, she is always easy to write about. It's free therapy to write about her 😅 I'm glad you could relate to her in a way. It's kind to hear you like the world I created with Middknight! I plan to write so many novels on it. All bestsellers. I've hardly scratched the surface of this world I put together. I hope you're well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
22:45 Jul 04, 2022

Uh, yes. This is so relatable. Obviously, I am looking at this through the lens of Reedsy contests and the story is spot on. The struggles of producing art/stories. Loved that crossed out "I want to quit" line in Naomi's letter. I'm pretty sure I typed and deleted that many times over too. Love how real and motivational this is. Great story, Alex!

Reply

Alex Sultan
06:25 Jul 07, 2022

Thank you, friend. I appreciate the comment. I think I've written/said the whole 'I want to quit' line, too, at some point or the other. Probably a universal thing with all us writers 😅 Thanks again for the kinds words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
22:09 Jul 04, 2022

Very enjoyable, immersive story, and a great take on the prompt. We argue with ourselves about all sorts of things, don't we? And often we'll beyond the point of it being useful or rational. It also carries an important message for painting, or I suppose any other creative pursuits -- like writing, for instance. Particularly when contests and judges are involved :)

Reply

Alex Sultan
02:31 Jul 07, 2022

Thank you for reading, friend. I'm glad you liked it. I thought the best thing to write about when hitting a wall, is a story about hitting a wall. Particularly when contests and judges are involved 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jay McKenzie
21:07 Jul 04, 2022

A big lesson for us all here. Well done. I love that your take on the prompt is the argument between the inner and outer voice.

Reply

Alex Sultan
02:19 Jul 07, 2022

Thank you, friend. I appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad you liked the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Morris
21:00 Jul 04, 2022

I mean... Absolutely brilliant. It is spooky how you and I have done completely different things, and yet the exact same thing this week! Our "characters" both made the same choice in the end, and I hope that's reflective of the same but different journey that we are on in real life. Anyway, really enjoyed this. You said so much with just a few strokes of the brush. Excellent.

Reply

Alex Sultan
06:26 Jul 07, 2022

Thank you, friend! I appreciate the comment. I did mean for this story to be more about a creative block than anything, but I do like the way it turned out. No malice to the judges haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dorsa S.
19:58 Jul 04, 2022

hey! i just finished reading, and oh my, it is so addicting. this, plus "a kind home" molds together naomi's perfectionism and her strive for excellence. on that note, everyone should think outside of the box and explore their own different styles. also, i'm glad that you have written valianne as a strong and wise character that is a mentor and friend to naomi; their dynamic is amazing. thank you for the good story. i just saw your profile as well, and best of luck to you and your novel! :)

Reply

Alex Sultan
01:41 Jul 07, 2022

Thank you for reading, friend. Naomi is my favourite character I've written, and I find that, even if I hit a wall, it's always easy to write about her. With her perfectionism and how it's easy to relate to her at times. Novel is going to be good, as well. As good as it gets - I'm looking forward to putting it out there. I appreciate the kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aesha Amin
18:23 Jul 04, 2022

Hi! This is a really unique take on the prompt: a fight with your inner thoughts. The main character is an artist who’s been beating herself up over judges who might not like what she really wants to paint. It’s the way you’ve written it that makes her so so relatable, especially to writers. I love the way you describe paintings like stories. For example, the paragraph describing the painting of pegasi brought an entirely new and vivid image in my mind. Also, I cracked up at “let all those judges eat dirt.” It was a fun read. Thank you for s...

Reply

Alex Sultan
01:45 Jul 07, 2022

Thank you, friend. I appreciate the kind words. I've written so many stories about Naomi - she has always been my favourite character to write about. I'm glad you liked it! The paintings and the world building was all fun to type out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi Alex, I wrote another story. I pray you are well.

Reply

Alex Sultan
02:16 Nov 05, 2022

I am well, thank you. I hope you are, too. I'll go through it and leave my notes when I get the chance. I'm looking forward to it.

Reply

I am well. I will be going to a women's discernment retreat in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, with my sister, on Saturday, until late Sunday afternoon. If you don't mind my asking, how is your novel going? I've thought about you and your project often, and I pray for God's Will to be done through you and your writing. I'm always willing to give any assistance I can, if you want it, friend.

Reply

Alex Sultan
07:37 Nov 07, 2022

That sounds great! I hope it goes well for you. Novel is going well, as good as it gets. I'm looking forward to, eventually, have it out there.

Reply

The retreat did go well. I had a wonderful time. I’m happy that your novel is going well. I’m looking forward to reading an entire novel about Middnight and Solan someday. I wrote two more stories. I pray this finds you well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:36 Oct 23, 2022

Hey Alex, not seen you around for a while. I hope all is well. How is the novel coming? I've written for the Halloween week type theme this week and I'd love your feedback if you have time to read it. Do take care, K

Reply

Alex Sultan
20:09 Oct 25, 2022

Thank you for reaching out, friend. My novel is going along well - I'm planning to write 50k next month for November, and should be done with a rough draft hopefully sometime in December. It is very good so far. I'd be happy to go through your story! I'll have time later tonight.

Reply

20:13 Oct 25, 2022

That's great news! I'm so glad the novel is coming along 🤠 Thank you for taking the time out for me, it's very kind. I'll look forward to your notes!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:15 Aug 27, 2022

Hi Alex - how are you doing? Not heard much from you in a while - I hope the novel is going well? If you are online and fancy doing any crit this week I have just posted "Cellared". It needs some work and I'd really appreciate your input if you have time. I hope all is well. Take care.

Reply

Alex Sultan
20:46 Aug 28, 2022

Thank you for the comment, friend. The novel is going very well - I'm enjoying chipping away at it a lot. It is the most fun I've had with writing. I'd be happy to go through your story! I'm glad you posted another. I'll have time tomorrow to go through in depth 🙂

Reply

20:57 Aug 28, 2022

Thank you Alex, that would be wonderful. Great to hear you are enjoying the novel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
23:18 Aug 13, 2022

Hi Alex, I completely agree with the other writers that what exists here is a whole lotta of thinly veiled commonalities. I hate that pressure we all feel to create when we just can’t or don’t want to. And I love that your character ultimately finds peace in letting the creative moments come to them. I also love how you described the vision of each painting before it comes to life because I imagine that I really frustrating as an artist-kinda like how some authors see the whole story but aren’t sure how to get from point A to B. Beautifully ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Suma Jayachandar
05:02 Aug 08, 2022

Hi Alex, I can't believe I didn't comment on this one! I missed your entries on Reedsy and casually scrolled down on the comments here. It's a big loss for the community out here that you have stopped posting regularly, but I knew when I read your first story, you were meant for bigger things. Wish you best of luck for your projects and do let us know when your novel gets published. Definitely would preorder a copy!

Reply

Alex Sultan
21:29 Aug 09, 2022

Thank you, friend. Your comment is so kind! I appreciate it - I'll definitely let you know when my novel comes out. I'm finishing up the outline for it, and I'm excited to write it soon. It'll be 'Grace of a Goddess' but on a much grander scale. I hope you're well🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yves. ♙
08:32 Aug 07, 2022

Quite a meta-narrative available here in writing about a contest! It's really only worth it if we're happy with our own work, isn't it? I certainly hope you're happy with what you've got here; it's so unique. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Alex Sultan
21:27 Aug 09, 2022

Thank you for reading, friend. I'm very happy with this story - before it, I was writing story after story that I honestly didn't like at all, and this one really shined for me. I appreciate the read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
07:17 Jul 19, 2022

Hey Alex, I am sorry it took me quite a while to read this one but like always, it's fantastic. I love how you've conveyed a universal message through this. As writers, we've all stood against such situations when you just lose motivation. It's good to see Naomi and Vali make their reappearance and I would always be glad to read more of the amazing pair. Also, I really liked how the line 'Naomi spun her paintbrush around her fingers.' came out repetitive throughout the story, indicating a different result in all cases. Great one, friend.

Reply

Alex Sultan
06:12 Jul 21, 2022

Thank you for reading! I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad you liked Naomi, and the story. She's a character I could write so much more on. Despite hitting a wall, I found this one very easy to write at the time, and sped through it. It was fun. I hope you're well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
01:51 Jul 15, 2022

I like how encouraging the foster mother is. She gave great advice. Was this something inspired by your own feelings of doubt or something you’d seen in someone else? It’s a refreshing twist on the “writer writes about a writer who isn’t writing” thing. I like the sound of the knights on their unicorns and the void beasts.

Reply

Alex Sultan
15:39 Jul 15, 2022

Thank you for reading, friend - I appreciate the comment. These characters are my favourite. I did write this with the “writer writes about a writer who isn’t writing” in mind. While it is a bit dramatized, I wanted to convey writer's block in the most creative way I could with my favourite character. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. Smith
20:42 Jul 13, 2022

Beautifully done Alex. I love the spin on finding your inner strength. Specifically Naomi’s inner strength being a leviathan, awesome

Reply

Alex Sultan
15:37 Jul 15, 2022

Thank you for reading, friend. Naomi is my favourite character I've written. I'm glad you liked her.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:56 Jul 12, 2022

Hi Alex, I cant believe I missed this before the contest closed. I'm sorry about that - It's a lovely piece. I did spot a few things so if you want line notes I'm happy to do them later in the week. I couldn't help but wonder if this story came about as a reflection on your own recent skirmish with writer's block? I'm so glad to see you back and inspired. I spotted you took down the war story from the other week - I think it could be good with some work - are you still toying with it? I've posted something for this week - I was so tempted...

Reply

Alex Sultan
22:07 Jul 12, 2022

Hey friend, I'm glad you read through this one. Naomi is always so fun to write about. Don't worry about line edits for it - I'm happy with it, and can't edit it anyways. I did write this because of writer's block! I found just chanelling it into this with my number #1 favourite character made it easy. For the war story, I did recieve a lot of good feedback, especially your comment, but I don't know, I just didn't like the story as a whole that much. Felt off to me compared to the other ones I've written. And I'd be happy to check out your ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.