The Museum of Magical Items

Written in response to: Start your story with a character saying “Listen, …”... view prompt

32 comments

Funny Fantasy Romance

“Listen, The Museum of Modern Art, the MoMA, is cool. It’s nothing compared to MoMI, the Museum of Magical Items. We house the world’s largest collection of magical items and oddities, including myself.” The tour guide, who was an echoing suit of headless armour, bowed.

The tour group gave muffled applause for two seconds and then turned to look at the idiot at the back who’d taken a picture of the guide with the flash on his camera. Footsteps clapped on the chessboard marble tiles. On the ceiling high above the painted gods appeared to be doing things to each other that Steve hoped no child would ever look up to see. One of the painted gods, most likely Zeus, gave Steve the middle finger.

“Not to worry folks,” said the armour, sound coming up from inside it with the sound of a talking well, made of metal buckets, “flash photography is permitted here in the lobby, but I ask you to turn it off as we head through the large doorway on your left there.” The armour pointed with a gauntleted hand.

“Will the flash damage the exhibits? I thought they were magical?” said a smug man at the back wearing branded everything with the tags still on. The man’s girlfriend was too busy taking photos of herself on her phone to see that the party was walking away from her.

“No. The majority of exhibits are impervious to flash but some of them might damage you. Many, like myself are sapient and roam freely within the halls. Be polite, most of us were crafted for war.” The armour struck the kind of poses normally assumed by muscle bound men covered in fake tan on stage.

The crowd nodded and someone else took a photo of the guide. Steve was taking photos of everything on his phone of course but having read up on the museum and the tour, he wanted to skip to the good stuff like the Tri-dented Sea Wraith.

“In this lobby here, behind the glass we have the first of the exhibits. The Wholly Grey L is the last surviving letter of the original Hollywoodland sign. The other letters were destroyed of course during the Mavelous and the DCiduous armies. We all know how that ended.” The crowd laughed. Steve imagined that if the armour had owned a face, it would have winked for the punchline.

The guide walked on through the large archway on the left into a huge hallway filled with stuffed animals, weapons and touchscreens that gave additional information.

“What’s your name?” asked an elderly woman whose glasses seemed to be thicker than the frames could support. Her eyes looked enormous thanks to the magnification. Steve would put money on the woman being a witch. Casting magic was notoriously bad for your eyesight in the long run. Turning his phone slyly to the side he tried to take a photo of the wrinkled old lady. When he looked at his phone the photo was of a remarkably attractive woman in her mid to late twenties.

Steve looked up from the photo on his phone at the witch it had to be. The old lady was looking at him with those stupidly large eyes. She stuck out her pinkie finger and her thumb then mouthed call me. Nope. He wasn’t going to fall for that again.

“My name,” said the guide, “is the Armour of Amour. My friends call me Arnold.”

“You have friends?” asked the branded man, showing what were clearly fake teeth. His girlfriend was presumably still taking selfies in the lobby, oblivious.

“Well, actually no. But you can call me Arnold if you feel like it.” Steve pictured a weak smile, the kind of needy smile that said; be my friend, be my friend, please, I’ll do anything for you if you just call me Arnold and pretend to be my friend.

“First up here in the Hall of Wonders, we sometimes just say How, is the mighty Ex-Cali Bear.” The armour turned and gestured with the pomp of a game show host revealing the grand prize to a lucky contestant.

Ex-Cali Bear was a taxidermized were-bear with its arms shaved from paw to elbow and tattoos showing beneath. One of the tattoos read said, ride or dye. Steve didn’t know it that was a joke, or the legendary warrior had just been a moron.

It was at least nine feet tall, standing bipedal. The jaws could have ripped off Steve’s head whole. Ex-Cali Bear was responsible for at least a hundred murders, possibly more. Its stuffing was responsible for a smell of rotting cabbage. Steve backed away.

“Next, we have the Girdle of Might, worn by the god Thor until he got a better one. If you were to strap something to the Girdle of Might, it might be weightless. The belt is a bit temperamental.” The belt looked like a wrestler’s tournament prize, silver with Nordic runes and the first ever takeaway menu tucked into a pouch that looked like it had been ripped from the Bat-belt. Steve snapped photos from a few different angles.

Steve’s phone buzzed. He had a contact addition from someone on the museum’s Wi-Fi.  When he looked at the contact photo it was a painting of the same woman, he’d seen looking at the witch. Her name was Ma Green Dell. Turning off the screen of his phone he ignored it. He just had to get through the tour without turning down the request or having to talk to her.

“Here we have the mythical Helmet of Hades. The helmet was created by the cyclopes for the god of the underworld. It was stolen by Perseus, who used it to look at bathing women, from where we get the word pervert.” The tour group ood and ahd and took thousands of photos on their camera phones.

“Next is the Cronus Sickle, sharp enough to cut through any material. That is why the staff of the museum have stopped cleaning it to avoid any more unplanned organ surgery.” Arnold said it without a hint of the joke and swore at the blade as it passed.

After that the group was shown the Staff of Sun Wukong, the Monkey King.

“I must ask you not to touch it. Due to its ability to change size rapidly, it cannot be housed in a fixed cage and therefore we have it on open display.” The tiny thing was the size of a drinking straw, entirely gold. Steve didn’t see the point in taking a photo, it just looked like a blingy straw.

“This here is the Sword of Peleus. It grantees victory in battle and disfunction between the sheets, don’t ask me why. Please.” The sword was a one handed marvel of crafting with a purplish-silver blade and an ornate handle.

The sound of crashing, screaming and breaking glass hit Steve’s ears all at once with the force of a brick to the head.

No longer the size of a pencil, the Staff of Sun Wukong had stretched to the length of a bus and the circumference[LM1]  of a tree. Surprise, surprise, it was the idiot in head-to-toe branded clothes speared on it and groaning.

“I did explain not to touch it did I not sir?” The armours voice had gone up in pitch. Its hands made a WHAT THE HELL? Gesture before it reached inside itself and pulled out a radio. “Front desk, we’ve got another genius losing his chest V to the Staff of Sun Wukong. No rush. He’s pinned down.” Arnold clicked its fingers in front of the man’s face. The sound was like the clang of a tiny gong. “Every day, why is there always one?”

Arnold took them to the next undamaged display. Cupid’s Bow had a long and creepy history. It had thicker glass around it than the Mona Lisa. Steve couldn’t get a photo without glare on the lens.

Next up was Babr-e Bayan, a coat worn by the Persian hero Rostam. It was fire-proof, water-proof and invincible. Rostam’s skeleton remained inside because thanks to an oversight in the making of the tight-fitting coat, the warrior had never been able to take it off.

“This exhibit is the Falcon Cloak of Freyja. Originally it allowed the wearer to turn into a falcon and back. Now it just turns them into falcons, which is why you can now find one of our former janitorial staff Dennis nesting in the Scott’s Pine next to the car park and defecating on all of the red cars.” It looked just like a regular cloak to Steve, the kind that his mother wore when it was cold outside or when she couldn’t be bothered paying the heating bill.

“The Seven-League Boots allow the wearer to step seven leagues with every step. Since most people don’t have legs seven leagues or more in length, it usually proves fatal for mortals.” They were beautiful red leather boots, definitely made for walking, if you were a god. “The last person to survive wearing those was Nancy Sinatra, she wrote a song about it.” A portrait of the singer in black and white sat behind the boots.

“This case normally houses the Shoes of Vidar, which give gods unparalleled foot protection. The shoes are currently on loan to a joint research group being headed up by Adidas and Nike.” Someone’s flash went off as people took photos. A distant growl hinted that it would be best if that didn’t happen again.

“This is the necklace Brisingamen, worn by the goddess Freyja. She originally thought it was the necklace made her irresistible to men. It turned out that she was just an incredibly attractive woman and that most men are faithless pigs.” Women in the crowd either laughed or nodded bitterly.

The Seal of Solo Man had a distorted human face in the surface that was said to have inspired the carbonite imprisonment suffered by Han Solo in Star Wars. Arnold rushed them onwards as the demons within the ring were in the habit of revealing people’s darkest desires. A woman in the crowd slapped her husband as the smoky vision of him kissing someone that wasn’t his wife, flew out of his ear.

Seeing his face on a naked body he wished was his, Steve turned to see the origin. Ma Green Dell had the wispy vision pouring out of her ears. Her jam jar glasses were gone and so was at least a century. She looked his age if not younger.

“Is this better?” asked the witch. “I can be like this for up to six hours. That’s long enough for most men. “Come on handsome. You know you want to.”

He did want to. Steve looked at his MoMI ticket. It was good for two days.

“You only live once,” he said.

“Not me. I’ve died several times.” She winked. Instead of being creepy it was just alluring. Arnold was right, men were faithless pigs. He was single though, so why not?

“You’ve got me,” he said.

“Excellent. I could just eat you up.”

November 09, 2021 14:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

KED KED
18:10 Nov 15, 2021

This was great! The story itself was so creative, but the subtle humor seemed effortless from your part. I felt myself smile several times! What a fun read :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:24 Nov 15, 2021

Thanks Kelly. It’s nice to hear that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
20:49 Dec 09, 2021

Really funny and I loved the little insights into the world, e.g. "Casting magic is bad for eyesight long term". Also the titles of all your stories are brilliant.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:20 Dec 09, 2021

Thank you Moon Lion. I always want the titles to be as eye catching as possible. I want to write a sequel to this but I’m not sure how yet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
20:41 Nov 28, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Graham Kinross
20:55 Nov 28, 2021

Thank you for reading my stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
11:40 Nov 26, 2021

Hey Graham! This is a wonderful piece. Great start! It captivated me straight away highlighting the elite humour. Feeling sad for Arnold. The descriptions are amazing, simultaneously maintaining the flow. A few side notes (I hope you don't mind)- Tri-dented Sea Wraith. --- I am not sure what wraith means. Steve looked up from the photo on his phone at the witch it had to be. --- You can try rephrasing this line. The meaning here is a bit blurred. Rest is as perfect as it could be! Great read!

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:46 Nov 26, 2021

Thanks for the feedback Kaya. A wraith is basically a ghost. It often describes a hostile spirit.

Reply

Keya J.
13:53 Nov 26, 2021

Oh ok Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J Sagar
12:17 Nov 25, 2021

That was thoroughly entertaining! Your writing reminds me of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Thanks for writing!

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:03 Nov 25, 2021

Thank you. I’ll have a look at the Stephanie Plum series.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
02:57 Nov 25, 2021

Graham, could you take a minute and do a second glance at 'Remission'? If you don't got the time don't worry. Hope you're well.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:04 Nov 25, 2021

Of course. Thank you for reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:10 Nov 25, 2021

I was chuckling throughout the entire story! I really enjoyed how you turned a mundane museum tour into a hilarious and unique adventure. The dialogue was smooth and added a lot of dimension to each character. Poor Arnold, I would totally be his friend. I'm excited to read more of your stories!

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:05 Nov 25, 2021

Thank you Phoenix, also, awesome name. I like dialogue a lot for humour. Most of my stuff isn’t meant as pure comedy like this but it was fun. Do you think I should do more like this? If you like fantasy stuff then Daughter of Disgrace is one I’m proud of. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/qah9ob/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
11:20 Nov 24, 2021

Hello! Thank you for liking my story and following me... May I ask you something? You said in your bio that you read the least liked story of a person first, well, in that case, Lethal Lyla wasn't my least liked story. jk! ;) Thanks for liking again! Would you recommend some of your stories to read? I prefer funny ones. :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:44 Nov 24, 2021

Thanks for reading mine. I was flicking through your stories and that first few lines of that one caught me so I gave it a go. Keira’s Invention is my next closest to funny. I don’t write for humour most of the time but I might try to a bit more. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/y646oz/

Reply

Dhwani Jain
15:48 Nov 24, 2021

Nice...at least that first line hooked you through the story! Sure, I'll read that soon! =D

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:19 Nov 24, 2021

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
02:37 Nov 19, 2021

Just brilliant Graham. Your voice shines here. My new favorite. Felt like reading a David Wong novel. Or watching an Umbrella Academy episode. Truly entertaining. Purely fun. Excited for all your work.

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:33 Nov 20, 2021

Thank you Dustin. I haven’t read David Wong but I liked watching Umbrella Academy, especially since it has Robert Sheehan who was in Misfits, a really brilliant show about kids getting superpowers, you should check it out.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
06:00 Nov 20, 2021

You got it! Not to mention Sheehan co-authored with Gerard Way from my chemical romance. In my opinion those two sure came together as true genius!

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:43 Nov 20, 2021

Sheehan is just a hilarious guy. Even in the outtakes and interviews for Misfits he was just funny the whole time. Doesn’t seem to take anything seriously and I think most of his dialogue was improvised. He’s the kind of guy who could riff for scenes and scenes of comedy gold. Sadly he doesn’t get to do that as much in his recent roles. Umbrella Academy is brilliantly absurd. I like that they brought as much of that as possible to the show, the only shows more insane that I can think of are Legion, about one of the X-men(ish), and Dirk Gentl...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mariah Heller
14:53 Nov 09, 2021

I enjoyed your imagery and humor in this story Graham. Well-written and highly entertaining.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:37 Nov 09, 2021

Thank you Mariah. I had fun with this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
08:11 Jan 11, 2023

I like how funny this was. I didn’t understand sone of the references eben though they were familiar.

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:50 Jan 11, 2023

Which references?

Reply

L M
10:17 Jan 11, 2023

About the cloak that turned people into birds. Was that a real thing? A myth i mean or did yoy make that up?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
11:53 Apr 15, 2022

Thank you for reading this, if you want to read the next one of this series then use this link. Cheers. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/xerf6w/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aoi Yamato
02:44 Oct 31, 2023

I like this one. Funny.

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:46 Nov 02, 2023

Thanks Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:53 Nov 07, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.