End of the World

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story that features zombies.... view prompt

20 comments

Romance Adventure

“ZOMBIES!” yelled my best friends, Brooklynn and Charlie.  At first I thought they were joking.  They always play pranks on me but, the way they ran to the tree house was telling me they were not kidding around.   This is it.  The end of the world.  I can’t believe it.  I thought that I would be one of the first to go.   The first thing I think to do is pull the ladder up and lock the door in our tree house once Brooke and Charli  get in.  Next  I wonder if there are any more survivors hiding in their houses or tree houses.  I get on my walkie-talkie system that I got from my parents  5 years ago.

   I went on every channel and screamed, “ HELLO!  HELLO!  IS ANYONE THERE?  THERE ARE ABOUT 30 FREAKIN’ ZOMBIES AT MY RIGHT NOW!  IF ANYONE IS THERE SAY COPY, TELL ME YOUR NAME, AND ADDRESS (if you live in Oregon).  MY NAME IS ADDISON (Adi) MY FRIENDS ARE HERE AS WELL.  THEIR NAMES ARE BROOKLYNN (Brooke) AND CHARLIE (Charli).  WE ARE ON 389 EDEN RD, IN OREGON CITY.” My voice hurts.  I just yelled a lot of words.  I need water.  Wait what happened to my mom and dad and…

One Hour Ago…

“I’ll meet you after school at the tree house!”  I say to my friends.  They prefer to run home while I would much rather ride the bus.  I am pretty lazy.  But when I am on the bus I draw or stare at a super cute boy on my bus.  I would never have a chance with HIM though.  My stop is not very far from the school, only about 15 minutes give or take.  It’s an extra 5 minutes for Brooke and Charli because they walk or run.  That's when they do their daily gossip.  Today was a running day for them because they came at the tree house yelling “ZOMBIES!” and they weren’t kidding.  The good thing my tree house has lots of food to last us.  A bad thing is we don’t have a toilet.  

Present Time…

The zombies are getting really close to the tree house.  Then we get a response from the walkie-talkie.  It was really glitchy.  But I could still make out the words.  

“Hello this is James, William and Oliver.  We are on top of my roof.  Our address 159  Harding RD, and we are in Oregon City as well.”I knew James, Matthew and Oliver.  We went to school with them!  And Harding RD is a neighboring road.  At one point in time I actually liked James.  That was like in second grade though!  I’m a seventh grader now.  And you probably know you can’t change the past that's that.  It’s going to be totally awkward spending the end of my life with my two best friends and three boys.  He's smart so maybe he will make a zombie cure.  But what if he doesn’t.  

I start making a list,

“How to survive the zombie apocalypse (without becoming one of them).  

  1. Always have access to a car
  2. Go to the store once a week
  3. STAY AWAY FROM ZOMBIES
  4. Meet up in groups of people”

That was all I wrote before William, James and Oliver pulled up in a Jeep Wrangler (my favorite car ever!).  They're a year older than us so yes they can drive a car.  He called some more of his buddy’s to come.  Not even 10 minutes there were 9 people in MY treehouse.  I didn even invite them.

  But whatever.  I called some friends, some picked up and others didn’t.  They drove here in their parents car even though they can’t drive yet!  They figured it out quickly! Or so that's what they told me.  I don’t know where my parents are and if they're safe.   Oh no!  One of James’s friends fell off of my treehouse into the zombies!  He is dead or at least a zombie.  James' face is HORRIFIED.  That was one of his best friends from kindergarten.  We all hope in cars and start to drive.  I don’t really know any zombie free spots but James, William and Oliver were driving around before they came to my house.  

My friends let me drive!  It’s so fun but I never imagined learning to drive during an apocalypse.  James takes us to a secret area in a forest.  I think it’s a really good area to get attacked in so I drive me and my friends somewhere else.  James Follows us. I drive or vert the sand dunes where me and my friends always hang out. It's so vast out there and there's probably no one out there.  Good thing everyone brought food.  But we’re living with BOYS.  I would not be surprised if they ate everything in a week.  There is a store near the dunes  but it would be very risky to go in there.  After we set up “camp” I walked to a high point in the dunes.  Oh great.  James is following me.  

“Hey Adi!  Wait up!  I need to talk to you.”  Well I don’t.  He should have talked to me in the second grade.  I sit down.  He sits VERY, VERY close to me.  He leans over as if he were to kiss me.  I hide behind him as he kisses the air.  He grabs me from behind him and flips me over so that I’m laying in the sand.  I don’t move.  

“Adi, I like you. Like a lot and I have for a while now.  I was just so scared to say anything,  I thought you might hate me.  Will you forgive me?” Of course I would.  All the girls at school fall for him, but he’s falling for me!  He leans in for another kiss.  This time he gets it.  I couldn’t deny the way his eyes sparkled in the sunlight.  

“Hey Adi!  Whatcha doing? Oh My GOSH! Dang it. I forgot how snoopy Charli is when she's under stress  

“Charli let me explain.  Well…” It’s going to be hard to explain.  “You see...umm…” I am super choked up.  I am never really this choked up.  James stepped in,

“Okay Charli.  I know that you have a boyfriend now just let Adi have one.  Please?” James is so smooth with words.  

“I just thought I’d never see James with you Adi!  Congratulations!” She runs over and gives me a hug and one of our friends kisses on the cheek. That means she approves!  “Just a little piece of information, back at camp Oliver is kissing Brooke! Come on!”  We ran back to camp as fast as we could.  James carrying me on his back when all I wanted to do was run in the sand!  Brooke was totally enjoying herself.  

James yelled ”Hey Oliver!  Come check this out!” Just so Brooke could have a minute alone.  Brooke's expression on her face is OMGG!  She has never really kissed a boy.  And Oliver’s a good kid.  Oliver has had a little thing for Brooke for a while now.  I’m happy that he made a move.  

Two weeks later…

Hey!  We’ve survived two weeks so far!  Yesterday James asked me to be his girlfriend and guess what I said? YES!  Like a week ago Charli developed a little crush on William.  She calls him Will now.  I think she might be first to make a move on him!  Will told James he likes Charli a little too.  In my head I keep screaming Oh My Gosh!  Whenever James kisses me his lips feel so warm.  Charli always finds us when we’re hiding or sitting in a romantic spot. 

 Some of our friends died on trips to the store.  That’s the sad part but we figured out we could drive through the building.  It’s super fun!  James never found a cure.  Or hasn’t yet.  We found some people like us who have been surviving the apocalypse.  They are 18 years old.  Only a few years older than James, Oliver and Will.  We are allowing them to stay with us.  I can’t believe how long we’ve survived!  

September 25, 2020 16:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

The Cold Ice
06:29 Sep 29, 2020

Wow.I like this story.Great job keep it up.Keep writing.Well written. Would you mind to read my story “The dragon warrior part 2?”

Reply

Lauren :)
15:45 Sep 29, 2020

Sure as soon as possiable!

Reply

The Cold Ice
16:19 Sep 29, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:04 Sep 26, 2020

Hey, great job! Are you up to an upvote spree for an upvote spree? I want to get ya some points!

Reply

Lauren :)
22:51 Sep 27, 2020

Sure and thank you!

Reply

01:49 Sep 28, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
15:34 Oct 13, 2020

At first I thought they were joking.- comma after first Next  I wonder if there are any more survivors hiding in their houses or tree houses.- comma after next They're a year older than us so yes they can drive a car.- commas after us and yes We all hope in cars and start to drive.- hop I drive or vert the sand dunes where me and my friends always hang out.- drive over to the sand dunes “Hey Adi!  Whatcha doing? Oh My GOSH! Dang it.- close the quotation after ? I know that you have a boyfriend now just let Adi have one.- t...

Reply

Lauren :)
15:51 Oct 13, 2020

Okay thanks for the feedback Charles

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.j 🤍
04:58 Oct 09, 2020

You are only 11 !!!!! You are a AWESOME story writer for your age!

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
23:39 Nov 07, 2020

Hi Lauren! Loved your story, is there any chance you could make a part 2? It might be hard because making part 2’s to books are always hard because most times you’ve written everything you could but if you can/want to I definitely think you should!

Reply

C.j 🤍
21:04 Nov 09, 2020

yeah I am working on it...

Reply

C.j 🤍
21:07 Nov 09, 2020

oh you were not talking to me.....that's awkward.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
13:40 Oct 05, 2020

Hope the little upvotes make your day happy:))

Reply

Lauren :)
14:35 Oct 05, 2020

It did! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reply

D. Shikha
14:44 Oct 05, 2020

:)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:16 Oct 05, 2020

I liked this the dialogue was great!! I liked the whole zombie apocalypse plot in your story that was great! I also liked the friendship between them Just a little critique the dialogue was great but it was sometimes confusing when it's clumped in a paragraph. I noticed it cause I sometimes do the same. Maybe next time when writing dialogue try making a whole new line. And I also noticed in some of the sentences you added extra spaces. So be careful of doing those. But great job! I loved the rommaannceeee!!🤗🤭

Reply

Lauren :)
14:36 Oct 05, 2020

Thank you for the feedback!

Reply

15:23 Oct 05, 2020

Of course! And I'm going to upvote you!! And feel free to read my stories if your interested!

Reply

Lauren :)
17:06 Oct 05, 2020

Okay I will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
18:08 Dec 02, 2020

Awesome story! Also, I did the bio thing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.