18 comments

Science Fiction Adventure

A movement in the bushes caught my eye. I was up a tree in a flash with my bow and arrows in hand. I pulled the large leaves gently to cover me. If I ran into another person, I would simply do what I had done to the rest of them. I nocked an arrow and aimed my bow toward the bushes. The rustling continued. A foot poked out of the bushes and was immediately followed by a man. He looked like he had never done a day’s work in his life, and I was very surprised to see him in the forest. I might as well talk to the guy. I have nothing better to do. I jumped from my perch in the tree. In seconds, the man had pulled a long, sharp blade from his pocket. I recognized his blade. Just the guy I was looking for.

“Hello,” I said, my bow and arrow pointed at him.

“Oh,” he seemed relieved. “You’re normal. I was worried you were one of those crazy psychopaths that went around killing everyone…” he chuckled and put his knife away. I followed suit, but kept my arrow nocked. 

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Jasper. What’s yours?”

“Mackenzie,” I smiled falsely, proud of the fake name I had come up with. He was falling straight into my trap. “Nice to meet you, Jasper.” We shook hands.

“I literally thought I was the last one on Earth. It’s lucky that you happened to be in a tree above me,” he joked. I smiled again. I decided to play along. For now, at least…

“I also thought I was the last person on Earth,” I could’ve sworn I had made sure I was… “I thought you were that crazy person too.” Little did he know…

“Well, one of us has to be the murderer,” he looked at me suspiciously. I shook my head.

“There might be someone we haven’t found yet,” I tried to look as innocent as possible, hoping he would believe me. I don’t know how he avoided me for so long, but there’s no way I’m letting him go. 

“I don’t think so…” he looked around, as though thinking I had backup. Quick as a flash, he pulled his blade out and held it to my neck. Unbeknownst to him, I had already detected the movement and pulled my bow up. The only reason his knife got anywhere near my neck is because he fell over as he died. There. That’s the third of the killers that I’ve removed. They’re the only ones left on Earth, the ones who tried to kill everyone. They failed. I managed to get most people onto the planet next to us. The only problem is that these crazy people generally have backup… A branch cracked next to me. Three men walked out of the shadows. One pointed his gun at me.

“Put your hands up!” Hmm… that did not seem like something a murderer would say.

“Who are you?” I could have killed them all ready, but they seemed okay. They might be normals that were left behind on accident.

“We are not your concern. The Glaciers told us that if we didn’t catch you they would kill us,” Oh great, those wackos again. “They didn’t tell us that you were saving people. We’re the last people on this planet. The Glaciers moved to Pluto. We want to stay here, but we don’t wish to work for them,” The one who seemed to speak for the group was tall, with dark hair. It’s hard to believe they’re still alive. None of them look like they could win a fight without that gun… I’ll have to test their skills.

“Yeah, right. What are your names?” They all looked at each other, and I could see miniscule movements in their eyes. They were bots… yep, definitely working for the Glaciers. That means they’ll have extremely fast reflexes. I slowly walked a tiny bit closer, and the gun was lifted to point at my head.

“Don’t you dare. My name is Adenoid,” That is very close to droid. They’re definitely robots. They might not know, though. “This one,” he gestured to the man on his right, “is named Colin. The other one is Bill,” I thought I might as well tell them my fake name to throw them off.

“My name is-”

“We know your name, Cara Benson,” Uh oh… there goes my only hope. I might be smart and fast, but I am not an actress. 

“You may have noticed that we’re robots?” Yes, I did. And I think they showed me on purpose. I continued to very slowly back away. Here we go… acting.

“You’re robots? Okay, you definitely work for the Glaciers then,” I jumped into a tree and pulled my bow out. Thankfully the arrow hadn’t budged when I jumped. I shot the one called… Will? Bill? Something like that… anyway, I shot him. I don’t feel bad about it because they’re bots, but I still don’t like killing for no reason. Adenoid quickly shot the gun into my general direction, but I easily dodged the bullet. I quickly took down Colin. Adenoid managed to dodge three of my arrows. He was quite skilled, for a robot. I tuned my suit to camouflage with trees and set it to silent mode. I quickly kicked the gun from his hands and into the air. 

“We wanted to leave!”

“I don’t care!” too late, I realized what he was doing. He grabbed the back of my suit and ripped it. Now the camouflage won’t work… Oh well, I guess I can just test his fighting skills. Suddenly everything went black.

When I awoke, I was in a metal room. I tried to sit up, but I was stuck on a bed. My wrists and ankles were cuffed. Crap. My ears were ringing. I have no idea how Adenoid managed to capture me, but I have to escape. A screen was on the ceiling above me, and the leader of the Glaciers covered the screen.

“Hello, Earthans. You may recognize this notorious enemy of the Glaciers. Her name is Cara Benson, more commonly known as Mackenzie Foxe. Today, you will witness her execution live and on screen for your viewing pleasure!” His oily voice sickens me. So this is what they do for fun now. I notice cameras in all corners of the room. From the bed I am stuck on, I feel something poking through. I feel a sharp pain in my stomach, and a knife is sticking out of it, coated in blood. I scream, but no one helps me. No one comes to my rescue. My blood is quickly leaving. Above my head an enormous saw bears down on me. It comes closer. And closer. It touches my neck, and I can feel it killing me. Good-bye.


May 01, 2020 12:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Vrishni Maharaj
18:03 May 27, 2020

Such an engaging story!

Reply

Holly Pierce
18:06 May 28, 2020

Thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:55 May 16, 2020

I loved this story! I wish I could know more about the robots. Keep writing and stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Holly Pierce
00:38 May 17, 2020

Thank you so much!! Basically, this group called the Glaciers came through and killed everyone, the narrator has helped rescue people. The narrator has stayed on Earth to try to kill all the Glaciers as well as the people that work for them. The Glaciers had to make the robots because all the humans live on a different planet. They're trying to kill everyone and turn Earth into a bomb to destroy the universe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Janeah Camarena
20:23 May 09, 2020

I love this

Reply

Holly Pierce
22:27 May 09, 2020

Thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tina Laing
22:25 May 06, 2020

It is a nice story.

Reply

Holly Pierce
00:07 May 07, 2020

Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ndekwoh Ojen
14:06 May 04, 2020

Great story save for minor errors. You sure can edit and update, there's provision for that. Keep writing!

Reply

Holly Pierce
15:43 May 04, 2020

Thanks! Do you mind telling me where the errors are? I just reread it and I think it might be something I have not yet learned. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sadia Faisal
09:22 May 28, 2020

nice story, please like my story and follow me

Reply

Holly Pierce
18:06 May 28, 2020

thx

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eric Deitch
09:01 May 07, 2020

Is this an except from a full story? There is a lot the reader does not know about what is really going on here, and is missing the backstory as to why the heroine and the rest of the characters are at odds. I realize there is a limited number of words that can be used for these posts, but more detail is needed to engage to reader and make them more emotionally attached. Also, the story is written in present tense, first person, which does give the piece a sense of urgency; however, the narrator dies at the end. This doesn't really make sens...

Reply

Holly Pierce
13:08 May 07, 2020

Okay! Thanks for the advice! I personally don't think it needs a backstory. The prompt was the two people who thought they were the last people on Earth. I don't think it's necessary to include a backstory. In a way, this is a piece of a full story. This is a small bit of the narrator's story, and what happened to them. I don't quite understand how the narrator dying affects the point of view.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pranathi G
14:45 May 04, 2020

Nice story! Can you read my story and give me feedback on it? It's called, "THE TIME HAS COME." It's for the same prompt. Thanks!

Reply

Holly Pierce
15:44 May 04, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sadia Faisal
09:22 May 28, 2020

nice story, please like my story and follow me

Reply

Holly Pierce
15:05 Oct 19, 2020

thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.