0 comments

Adventure

There was this young woman who had extraordinarily blue eyes. So blue, they sparkled in the dark. She herself did not know the secret of her blue eyes. All she knew is they might help someone fall in love with her someday.

Jessica liked to think about things deeply. She liked to imagine that things were larger than life. She often wondered about the greater scheme of things. She felt that Einstein didn't really know the secrets behind the theory of relativity.

Jessica was an introvert who simply loved her inner world. She loved spending time by herself and silence was music to her. She was the type that never felt bored. Frustrated that things weren't going her way, perhaps, but never bored.

Jessica was also very intuitive like that. And that was when her eyes gleamed even more. It was like the person speaking to her could feel the weight of her stare. It was almost like, when she made up her mind to say something, to give a speech, or to tell a story, almost everyone wanted to listen.

Jessica wondered why her eyes were starting to shine a light like this. She wondered if it would scare boys. She also wondered if someone might come her way seeking love, or perhaps something more than just 'the word love'

She had recently been reading love stories like Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Othello, and a Midsummer Night's Dream. She couldn't get her mind off what happened when characters in that great old story did things like sprinkle love juice on people's eyes when they were sleeping, so they fell in love with the first person they saw.

She had also been watching too many late-night movies on her phone, at night, in her room with her door shut, and her eyes were indeed starting to gleam like that.

Jessica was the kind that always wondered about the wariness of people and things. It could just be that a new awakening in the dark of night, when a stillness could be felt, when, you want to watch something, a little like the things dreams are made of, but you don't because you think holding back could do some good.

Jessica had always been shy. She always wondered why. She often stayed up late at night, looking outside her window at the moon. She didn't know whether it was her imagination, but the moon seemed to watch back and grow with some sort of urgency.

But wait.

Wasn't Jessica going to break this secret to the world? Wasn't she going to answer people what they thought when they saw that her eyes were indeed so mesmerizing, there was no telling what to do when she looked at someone like that and opened her mouth to speak?

Jessica decided that enough was enough. Either she would tell people why her eyes were shining or she would wear purple contacts so that they shone a bright purple, instead of blue.

And so, Jessica wondered if there were any way to get a guy to kiss her. That was just one of the things that she try and would do differently when she found that her eyes were shining brightly whenever she spoke to anyone (guy or girl) or had some sort of inquisitiveness - she would try and wonder but wonder about things in a different way.

Jessica did not find the things that other people found 'interesting' thrilling to her own mind. She liked to arrive at conclusions, she liked to 'see' things her way, she liked to be slow about understanding and she felt crystal clear about her motives especially when she had plans.

One day Jessica was out alone. She happened to be going to a friend's house. She walked with her head towards the sky looking at the clouds, and then looking at people, at their faces, at their eyes, and their mouths.

She finally reached the friend's house, and the friend happened to be watching the music channel. She too sat down on the couch and started to stare at the TV Screen, her eyes started to gleam as they usually did when she was interested in something.

The friend who happened to be a guy, who knew her for ages past, and whom she had always secretly liked, looked at her. And he couldn't stop staring.

She looked at him

"What?" she asked. He was a friend, and they were watching music videos, so she didn't quite realize the secret behind her eyes.

The friend sat next to her on her side of the couch. And said

'Jessica, your eyes...they are blue'

'What do you make of it?' she asked 'Umm, I've been reading Shakespeare's Midsummer night's dream, and someone sprinkles love juice on someone else's eyes. Can I try that with you?'

'Wha-- how? If you read about someone else sprinkling love juice on someone else how can, you, uh?' he asked

'I don't know, I just don't know why my eyes get blue like that, it's not the video, I can promise you that' she said again

'Maybe this will help' he said and he did the naughtiest thing. He did the thing she was dreaming about. She liked being on the receiving end, it was so much fun, and he kissed her. Such a passionate kiss, a tender long smooch that dreams were made of. And her eyes started to glow like a halogen blue light. Never mind that her cheeks were blushing red, and her pulse was quick, so was his. But her eyes.

They were both 15, and they did things on the couch that day.

She went home. Looking at people. She walked with her head towards the sky looking at the clouds, and then looking at people, at their faces, at their eyes, and their mouths.

She went to bed that night. She woke up and the moon was full. Her eyes were their bluest blue, and she told the moon 'I kissed a guy and I liked it'. Before she went to bed, she re-read Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Othello, and A Midsummer Nights' Dream.

Jessica seemed to be looking at the world in a different way. There was no holding back.

March 30, 2023 15:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.