6 comments

Drama Mystery Thriller

"I'm sorry that things had to be like this. I just, can't live with this constant pain anymore, I need to do something about it. I need vengeance. The police will not bring justice for her death, so I'm going to. I don't care what happens, they need to be punished.

"First, I must find them. I have a pretty good idea of who it is. They go to her coffee shop everyday. Their eyes are dark and cold, they're always watching their surroundings. Something about them is odd.

I know they're the ones who did it. I remember her mentioning that these three men used to come to her coffee shop everyday and how odd they were. She said it wouldn't surprise her if these men were psychopaths.

"So, today I'm going to get the vengeance that I deserve and the justice my sister deserves. I may not come back alive, but just know, I love you."

I sign my name and let out a sigh. Today, I'm going to find my little sister's killers. I've been watching those three men closely. I guess you could say that I've been stalking them.

Every night, after they leave the coffee shop, they walk out of town and into an abandoned dump yard. There's this basement that they enter. I haven't followed them down inside, it's too dangerous. Today though, I'm going to go inside and see what they're hiding.

Putting on my running shoes, I grab an old pocket knife that belongs to my dad and shove it inside of my coat pocket. I tie up my long black hair and stare at myself in the mirror.

I'm a changed woman. After my sister's death, I've become skinnier, paler. My eyes are glassy and surrounded by dark circles. I look like I've been through hell and back, which, I guess I have.

Heading out of the house, I begin walking to the old dump yard. I used to drive by when I was younger, at the time I thought nothing of it. Now, I know that there's something sinister to it. There's something hiding down in that basement.

I make it to the dump yard in a total of forty minutes. By the time I get their, my feet are sore but I try to ignore the pain.

Walking through the garbage piles, I get to where the basement door is. I let out a breath, hoping it wasn't locked.

When I tried the handle, it turned. I swing open the door and walk inside. There's a staircase leading down in a long dark hallway. The door closes behind me and I whirl around. I try to open it but to no avail, it's locked.

Cursing, I begin walking down the dark staircase. I reach the bottom to where a long hallway is. I walk down it. There's a ton of corners and other hallways, I pray that I won't get lost. This place is like a maze. I continue walking straight ahead, hoping that I was going in the right direction.

It smells musty down here and everything's covered in a thick layer of dust. There's footprints on the ground, most likely from the three men.

I stop in front of a big metal door. Taking in a deep breath, I open it. What I see on the other side shocks me to the core.

In cages, are a bunch of females. They all wear white dresses and are deathly thin. Their ages range from perhaps sixteen to thirty.

One of them looks up at me and gasps.

"Are you the police? Are you going to save us?" the girl asks. Her hair is dark brown and cut short, her eyes are wide and dark green. She looks to be twenty.

"No... I'm not the police, but I am going to help you." I say, rushing over to her.

I attempt to open the cage, but there's a lock on it.

The girl points at something over my shoulder. "The keys are over there."

I look over my shoulder and see some keys hanging up on the wall. I run over to them and grab them. Rushing back over, I put the key into the keyhole, the door opens and the girl crawls out, barely able to move.

I do the same with the other cages and help each girl stand up.

One of them grabs onto my arms tightly and looks at me in the eye. "Thank you, thank you so much!"

I nod.

"The keys also open the doors in here."

"Alright, come guys, let's get you out of here." I say.

I lead them out of the room and back into the long hallway. I really hope we don't run into the three men. I didn't expect there to be prisoners here. I can't risk them getting hurt.

"What's your name?" one of them asks, quietly.

"Gabbie Park." I say.

"Wait, aren't you Breanna Park's old sister?" the girl asks.

I pause and whirl around. "How do you know my sister's name?"

She looks down and gulps. "She was with us. She attempted to escape, they had forgotten to close her cage door all the way and she had gotten out. They found her trying to open our cages and..."

I shake my head, rubbing my hand over my face. "What do these men want from you?"

"Th-They... wanted us to entertain them. They would torture us, just for their own entertainment."

Monsters.

"Don't worry, I can promise you that this will never happen to you guys again. I'm getting you out of here." I say.

They nod and I lead them to the staircase. I open the door and we get out. They all squint as the sun shines on us.

I grab my phone and dial 911.

Maybe I didn't need to kill those men to get my vengeance. No, having them locked up for the rest of eternity is much more satisfying.

They will suffer in prison until they rot. Then, they'll go to hell. Where they belong.

September 01, 2020 12:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

B. W.
13:20 Oct 02, 2020

i think that this was a really good story and that you did a really good job with it. ya know what? 10/10 :)

Reply

Emma Rose
18:58 Oct 02, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

B. W.
19:01 Oct 02, 2020

No problem ^^ if it's alright could you maybe check out my new story 'a savior?' and leave some feedback?

Reply

Emma Rose
23:09 Oct 05, 2020

Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Ulrich
16:57 Sep 11, 2020

You had such great prose with this story, and the last sentence gave me chills. I hope you keep writing!

Reply

Emma Rose
18:06 Sep 11, 2020

Aww~ Thank you! I want to become an author in the future, I don't plan on quitting this dream anytime soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.