2 comments

Fantasy Suspense

The two of them looked ordinary. Nothing stood out. The clothes. The hair. The shoes. All typical. Moving among the mass of New Yorkers and tourists, they easily blended in. Admittingly, this wasn't a challenge in Time Square. There were so many nut cases; ordinary people looked odd. And odd was par for the course on this street.

“I hate New York!” Said one of the two–a tall man with white hair pulled back into a ponytail, a muscular frame, and a stern look. “Messed up Time Tickers! Why do they try so hard to be freaks?”

“They are just trying to be unique…special,” the other one–a slim, black-haired woman said. “And do not call them that.” She looked up at him.

“Sorry.” He noticed her staring at him. “Don't give me the stare. I forgot you’re a Mortal lover,” he laughed.

“Respect! Is that so hard? They only have a few years to live then they are gone. Is it too much to show a little respect?” As she finished speaking, the wind picked up and blew some of her hair into her mouth. She quickly pulled it out.

“I saw that,” the tall man said.

“Shut up,” she said while repressing a smile.

They rounded the corner of Broadway and West 49th, heading for their target at the Time Hotel. The doorman greeted them and opened the door.

“She is in the lounge on the second floor,” the black-haired lady said.

They entered a glass elevator that only went between the first-floor restaurant and the second-floor lounge.

“The place is packed,” the tall man said. “Do you see her?”

Looking, without appearing to be looking, their eyes scanned the well-dressed crowd. The clinking of glass and the chattering of many voices, interspersed with laughter, filled the room. They made their way to the back corner.

“There,” the black-haired lady nodded towards a young blonde woman wearing a short black dress sitting by herself sipping water. They slowly approached and stealthily sat down with the blonde.

“Are you Wendy Lightfoot?” The black-haired woman asked.

“How do you know my name? Who are you?”

“My name is Ruth, and my partner’s name is Gunnar.”

Gunnar interrupted. “Gunn-A-r! Do not pronounce it, Gunner! I hate that!”

“Anyway,” Ruth looked over to Gunnar. “We are here for our meeting with you.”

“No. You must be mistaken. I’m waiting for a friend of mine.”

“That is what we wanted you to believe, but he is not coming. We already texted him and canceled,” Ruth said.

“How?” Wendy looked at her text messages and saw a text from her canceling their meeting. “How’s that possible?”

“We are part of a very sophisticated organization, and we went through a lot of trouble to make this meeting possible,” Ruth answered.

“Are you CIA? FBI?” Wendy shifted in her chair. “I’ve done nothing wrong.”

“We know,” Ruth paused while searching for the right words. “Very few people have ever heard of us, but our organization has been watching you for weeks. However, I promise we are here to help,” Ruth said.

“Help? I'm just a regular college kid and not even one of those genius-kind. Why do I need help?”

“You received information and wrote an article about what you learned. We know you are looking to get it published, but we do not want you to,” Ruth said.

“My article? How do you know? Never mind. Why do you guys care?”

“It could bring unwanted attention to us,” Gunnar said.

“What do you mean by ‘unwanted attention’?” Wendy asked.

“My partner means that our organization carefully protects its members, and this article could bring trouble,” Ruth said.

A disheveled waiter came to their table. “I’m sorry for your wait.” He tried to catch his breath. “We have been swamped all night, and three guys called in sick.”

“No problem, we are not in a hurry. We will have club sodas with lemon,” Ruth motioned to herself and Gunnar.

“And for you, ma’am?” The waiter asked Wendy.

“Long island tea,” Wendy replied.

“Very good. New York law makes us scan everyone’s ID. If I could get those from you, I’ll go over there to scan them and then bring them back with your drinks,” the waiter said.

They all handed over their IDs, and the waiter left.

“Club sodas?” Wendy smiled. “A bit strong, don't you think?”

“Long Island tea?” Gunnar replied. “A bit strong, don't you think?”

Yeah, well, I have a feeling I'm going to need it,” Wendy answered.

“Wendy, could we get past this game you are playing? I know you are smart, and I know you have already figured out who we are and why we are here. Stan told us about you. He also told us everything he divulged to you. You know about Eternals,” Ruth said.

“Alright, I’ll stop playing, but why would I trash such a huge piece? It could put me on the map. I mean, as a senior in college, I could become a top reporter overnight. Stan told me that Eternals wouldn’t use violence because your laws prevent it. So, you won’t do anything to hurt me if I publish it.”

Gunnar jumped in. “We won’t hurt you physically, but we will make sure to discredit you as a reporter and ruin any chance of becoming one. We have Eternals in every important news outlet in the country. We will bury your career before it ever gets started.”

But none of us want to do that,” Ruth interjected.

Wendy wasn’t the kind of person to lay down and die. She straightened her back and looked them both in the eyes. “I have proof. Stan gave me plenty of it. You won’t be able to debunk my article.”

Gunnar gave a confident smile. “Are you talking about your laptop? We’ve already deleted those pics.”

Wendy looked at Gunnar and Ruth in amazement, and then she reflexively glanced at her phone.

“Those are gone too,” Gunnar laughed.

“My phone and laptop? Nice. You guys are good. I guess I should be glad you aren’t violent, or else I would have disappeared with those pics.”

“I admire you, Wendy. You are strong and full of hope. But it is futile to hope that some of your evidence has not been found. I assure you that all the evidence you think you have is gone, including your safety deposit box,” Ruth said.

But before Wendy could reply, the waiter returned with a tray of drinks. “Here are your IDs back, and here are your drinks. Can I get anything else for you?”

“Thank you, we are good for now,” Ruth answered.

Wendy swore. “So you got them all. Stan told me that Eternals were clever, but I still underestimated you.” She still had a look of confidence until Gunnar spoke.

“We also have the newspaper clippings and microfiche you hid at your friend's house.”

“You know, I don’t like you very much,” she said as she stared at Gunnar.

“The feeling is mutual, Time Ticker,” Gunnar replied.

“Gunnar!” Ruth shot him a look. “I apologize. Gunnar is a lot like a porcupine. Sharp quills on the outside, but soft and squishy in the middle.”

“Lovely picture,” Wendy said with disgust. Wendy’s mind raced. What did she have left? How could she save her article? “I still have Stan. He said he would stand with me if I took the story public.”

“You will never see him again,” Gunnar replied.

“What have you done to him?”

“Calm down, Wendy,” Ruth said. “We have a law that no Eternal can tell a Mortal about us. He broke it by telling you. That is why we arrested him last week. He has already been tried and sentenced to serve one year in prison.”

“You put Stan in prison!” Wendy whisper-shouted.

“Yeah,” Gunnar said.

“What kind of system throws someone in prison for sharing a secret?” Wendy’s face was flush with anger. She liked Stan and hated the thought that she was the reason he was in prison. She also hated injustice, and she thought this was very unjust.

“It is not as inhumane as you think. Our prisons are not like yours,” Ruth said. “Our prisons are designed to correct and change behavior, not to get even with or punish the offender. After centuries of study, our Behavioral Psychologist created a prison that acts as a true deterrent; amusement parks.” Ruth said this with complete sincerity.

“What? You mean they’re like amusement parks?” Wendy asked.

“Don’t tell her,” Gunnar looked embarrassed.

“No. They are not like amusement parks. They are amusement parks. We have a few scattered throughout the world,” Ruth said.

“Seriously? Amusement Parks?” Wendy almost laughed.

“Have you ever been to an amusement park?” Ruth asked.

“Sure, lots of times.”

“Have you ever noticed how bored the ride attendants look? Like they are being tortured? Well, there is some truth to it. We send our harmless criminals to serve as ride attendants. That is where Stan is right now,” Ruth said.

“That doesn’t sound so bad,” Wendy said.

“Bad! It’s worse than bad. I served three months for getting in a fight with a Time Ticker…” Gunnar was cut off.

“Why do you keep calling us Time Tickers?” Wendy asked.

“That’s what you are. You watch time tick by until you die,” Gunnar replied.

“Some of us refuse to use it. We think it is demeaning,” Ruth said.

“Well, I don’t like it either,” Wendy said.

“Fine. I got in a fight with a Mortal. Is that better? Anyway, I had to serve three months wearing mouse ears. It was excruciating! The kids were the worst part of it. I tell you, I would have preferred the Mortal’s prison over that,” Gunnar said.

“It didn’t seem to do you much good,” Wendy said.

“I haven't hit you yet, have I?” Gunnar replied.

“Well, not physically, but I feel like I’ve been punched in the gut. You stole all my evidence, and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.” Wendy looked defeated. “So, if you already have everything you need and made sure I’ll never see Stan, why are you here?”

“You have become one of the Aware,” Ruth answered.

“The what?” Wendy asked.

“Mortals who know about us,” Ruth answered.

“Wait! There are others?” Wendy asked.

“Yes. More than we like to admit,” Gunnar grumbled.

“Gunnar is right. Some Eternals can not seem to keep their mouths shut. We are constantly finding new Awares. We just learned about you a few weeks ago, and only because Stan has been on a watchlist. But to answer your question. We have been assigned as your guides to answer any questions you have about us. And we have also been authorized to make you a deal.” Ruth pulled out a small white envelope and slid it across the table. “We are the good guys. I promise.”

Wendy opened the envelope. After reading the offer and re-reading it. “You would do this?”

“We will, and we will do more if necessary. We promise to use every News Eternal to ensure you become a successful journalist. Feeding you big stories and using our positions to further your career. We will give you as much support as possible if you keep our secret,” Ruth said.

“This offer is more generous than I could have ever imagined. I’m not exactly sure why Stan said the things he said about your type, but he doesn’t like you guys. So that’s why I have been so defensive. Sorry. This is very kind. I guess all I have to…” The waiter cut Wendy off.

“Can I freshen up your drinks?”

“Umm. No. We are fine. Thanks for asking,” Wendy replied.

“Then could I sit with you all?” The waiter’s demeanor changed, and he sat next to Wendy. “Your IDs confirmed that you both are agents of the EO,” the waiter took Wendy’s glass and drank it. “You look surprised? We have a database of our own. Your fake IDs can’t fool us.”

Ruth and Gunnar showed no emotions. The waiter looked cocky. Smiling at Wendy and still drinking her drink. He had the air of one who had already won, like he knew something no one else did.

“You have the advantage. You know our names, but what is yours?” Ruth asked.

“Carmack and you already know who I’m with.”

“Solomon’s Mighty Men of Valor, I presume.”

“Yes. And this will be the last day of your eternal life. Several of us are waiting outside. You could make this easy and peacefully come with me.”

Gunnar leaned in and glared at the waiter. “That’s not going to happen.”

The waiter put his arm around Wendy. “Ruth, call off your guard dog. You wouldn’t want anything to happen to this sweet girl, would you?”

“You are right. We will come peaceably. The three of us can leave now, but Wendy stays at this table.”

“Fine, we’re not here for her anyway.” The waiter got up. “Now, Ruth, will you lead the way?”

Ruth did, and the three of them entered the glass elevator and disappeared from Wendy’s sight.

Wendy was in shock. She sat there, not knowing what to do. She reached for her phone and noticed her hand shaking, and then she realized she didn’t have anybody she could call about this. What just happened? This thought swirled in her mind. She sat there, not moving for over ten minutes, before a waiter came to her table.

“Would you like another drink, Time Ticker?”

She quickly snapped out of her thoughts and looked up. It was Gunnar, smiling and looking pleased with his joke.

“But? The waiter? How?” Wendy could not piece together a complete sentence.

Gunnar sat, and Ruth was right behind him.

“I am sorry, Wendy, for letting him have his joke, but he earned it,” Ruth said.

“No. That’s okay. I’m so glad you’re both not dead. I knew I would never see you again, yet here you are. How? What happened? I’m going crazy. Please tell me.”

“First, we need to order you another drink,” Gunnar grabbed a waiter's attention, but when the waiter came over, Wendy’s eyes widened in terror. “Don’t worry. We know this one is legitimate.” 

“Wendy, take a deep breath and try to calm down. We were never in danger, nor were you,” Ruth grabbed Wendy’s hand. “I am so sorry you had to go through that, but there was no other way. He arrived the same time you did, and our team had to act like nothing had happened for our meeting to occur. But we already had him and his brothers on our sites.”

“Did you kill them?” Wendy asked.

“Nah, we put them to sleep. They are on their way to Maine right now to be dropped off at an abandoned logging camp we picked out just for them,” Gunnar said.

“Who are they?” Wendy asked.

“They are part of King Solomon’s MIghty Men of Valor, an order of Mortals sworn to rid the world of all Eternals,” Ruth answered.

“Why would they do that?”

“Because they believe in legends.” Ruth answered.

“What kind of legends?”

“The one that says we are half demons. As legend has it, the first Eternals were conceived when the daughters of men and the fallen sons of God, demons, married. Their children were powerful and did not die of old age. They could be killed in the same manner as Mortals, but not by age, disease, or poison. Eternals lived openly with Mortals, until the reign of King Solomon, the inherited ruler of the known world. He was the wisest man who ever lived. In his wisdom, he believed the Eternals were a half-demon race that God would want to be destroyed. He chose 30 men to be his Mighty Men of Valor, like his father, King David had, but their mission was to rid the world of Eternals. To this day, they still hunt us.”

“Are you half demons?”

“No. Gunner is a full demon and I am only one-eighth. Seriously, Wendy, nobody believes that old legend except for the Men of Valor. Our scientists believe it has to do with our DNA, but are not exactly sure how.”

“I’m still freaking out. Do we have to stay here?”

“Of course not. We can go to headquarters and continue our meeting. However, can we count on you to keep our secret?” Ruth asked.

“Now that I’ve seen what’s at stake. I promise, my lips are sealed.”

June 03, 2023 02:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Bendickson
01:48 Jun 04, 2023

Eternally inventive story telling.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:40 Jun 08, 2023

Thank you for reading it. I really appreciate it. If you have any pointers. I am all ears 😀👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.