0 comments

Romance Fantasy Fiction

The days usually ran like flash. Or better still, like the speed of light. One minute it’s sunrise, with the beautiful yellow hue in the sky. The next minute, the once beautiful yellow makes everything around scorching hot. Yup, you guessed right, it’s noon. Then it’s afternoon. The last minute, you glance at your wrist watch and it’s evening. The once yellow hue of the sky is now orange, as the sun decides to shy away for the day. The twilight comes slowly and before you know it, darkness. 

The sky is filled with dark clouds and the white bulb that is meant to give light gloriously glides to the top. It’s either full or half or crescent. I prefer it when it’s full. It has this awe and glory. It reminds me of bones breaking as men turn to wolves. You guessed right, it reminds me of werewolves howling in the mountains under the great power of the full moon. 

Then there’s the tales of those creatures that only come alive at twilight. Creatures that revel in the blood of humans. Yes, you guessed right. Vampires! The night always reminds me of all these things. Don’t get me wrong, the moon also has this tranquility it brings. Especially when you live by the beach. The white light glows on the deep blue waters and creates the most magical picture ever. I have captured those kind of pictures. I always keep them in my album. Magical!

Oh, I forgot about the stars. Those tiny diamonds that glitter and shimmer in the dark sky. They’re so far away but yet we see them. The way they add beauty to our world is just something I’ll never comprehend. I’m gazing at them right now and I can’t help but wonder if one star I’ve seen could be Venus. I once read that Venus was mistaken for a morning star and evening star. Just imagine seeing a planet with your naked eyes. In my case, my four eyes, since I use glasses. But tonight, my mother made me wear contact lenses. She said it was beautiful. It was blue, a bit darker than my blue eyes. According to mother, it would complement the midnight dress I wore that hugged every curve of my body. According to me, this dress was supposed to help me blend into the night, unnoticed by anyone, like a chameleon.

“Valerie, dear. It’s a dinner party. For the love of God, stop standing there like a statue and mix with people your age,” my mother’s exasperated voice snapped me out of my million thoughts.

“Yes, Mother,” I said to her as she walked past me with the waiter holding a tray with two flutes of champagne on it. I took one from the tray and sashayed away from the railing I was resting on. We were on a rooftop, having one of mother’s numerous functions. This time, it was a launching of a magazine. Her magazine. I wanted to be in bed, but she wouldn’t let me. The magazine was important to her. What was more important to her was for me to get a boyfriend or something at the party. Such a woman.

I moved through the crowd, scattered like the stars just above us and found a table that was empty. It had two chairs. I sat on one, grateful that no one was around. I wanted to be alone and I wished the party would end soon. It was almost midnight. 

My wish to stay alone wasn’t granted. It was as though the wicked witch of the night decided to curse me instead with a blast from my past. My mind was taken to another realm, another time, when Hugo Boss's The Scent sifted into my nostrils. The man who wore the perfume sat opposite me on the other chair. I could barely register how he looked or what he wore because I travelled to the first time I ever perceived that scent. It was heavenly at first.

Kyle walked majestically, like a king. It was as if he owned the place. I later found out that his father did own the place, a bookstore. Bookstores were my favorite places in the world. I’m sure you must have gotten the hint already. My favorite books were fantasies and mysteries and mythologies, with a bit of romance here and there to spice it up. Like a werewolf falling madly and hopelessly in love with a witch who was supposed to hate him. Or a vampire trying to steal neck kisses but ends up digging his fangs into the carotid artery of the defenseless human girl. Or one of the Greek gods kidnapping a human and making them their love slaves. Phew! Those stories gave me ecstasy… and the creeps too.

It so happened that I was in my aunt’s place at Lakeside, Florida, working with her in her fast food restaurant while waiting for my college application. I visited a bookstore to get books to keep me company. I was perusing the books in the fantasy section of this bookstore close to my aunt’s home when Hugo Boss’s The Scent made me inhale deeply. The scent was a perfume that was powerful, almost magical. I knew it didn’t come from me cos I wasn’t wearing any perfume. So, it definitely came from someone else. I turned around to see who it was and I saw the most beautiful boy I had ever seen, walking towards me. He had golden hair that was cut and trimmed perfectly. A few strands fell on his forehead and his grey eyes were fixed on me. He wore a white shirt that hugged his biceps and made me wonder how hard his abs would be. His jeans also stuck to his long legs. He was tall. I felt like I was staring at the Greek god Apollo. Yes, I was staring.

“Hi,” he said to me and gave me the most dashing smile in the whole universe.

“Hi,” I managed to say after about 10 seconds. It was a mystery that I hadn’t swallowed my tongue. It was a miracle, in fact.

“I noticed you’ve been here a while. Do you need help selecting a book?” he asked me, his smile never waning.

“I, err, I. Sorry, but I need to know what fragrance you’re wearing because it’s driving me crazy. In a good way, though,” I blurted out.

It was a good thing he laughed. Was it a good thing? My brain was definitely fried. How on Earth did I tell a guy his scent was driving me crazy?

“The Scent is the name, from Hugo boss,” he answered.

“Oh, that’s good. I love it. Err, I probably need your help selecting a book,” I finally said.

“Since you’re in this section, means you like mythologies, don’t you?” he asked me, taking out a book from the shelf we were standing in front of.

“Yes,” was all I could say.

“Here,” he handed me a book, “Percy Jackson and the lightning thief, by Rick Riordan. It’s about the Greek mythology. You’d love it.”

“I thought it’s for children?” I wrinkled my nose.

He laughed, clearly amused by my statement. 

“How old are you?” he asked.

“I’m 18,” I rolled my eyes. What? I wasn’t a child then.

“Okay, love. This book can be read by an adult. And you’re a young adult. You’ll enjoy it and you’ll come back for the next 4 books,” he said to me.

I looked at it. Flipped through some of the pages. I read the blurb too, just to know if it would interest me. It actually did. It wouldn’t be bad to try it.

“Okay, I’ll read this one first,” I said, smiling too.

“Great then. I guess I’ll be seeing you around here because I’m sure you’ll enjoy it and come back for more.” He was so sure I’d be back.

When I didn’t say anything to that, he asked, “what’s your name, love?”

“Valerie,” I answered, “my name is Valerie.”

“Nice name,” he said, sticking his hand to shake me, “I am Kyle. Whenever you come here, just ask for me and I’ll be at your service.”

Great, my own book attendant. My own, cute and hot book attendant. Of course I’d look for him whenever I came to the bookstore. I left that day feeling very ecstatic. It wasn’t everyday a cute boy walked up to a short girl who wore glasses and asked to be around her. I had enjoyed reading Percy Jackson and the lightning thief as he said and I was back for book two, Percy Jackson and the sea of monsters. I did ask for Kyle when I came back and he was more than happy to provide the book. I kept coming back till I finished the five books. Kyle was always at the bookstore, filling the air with his scent. I came to attach The Scent to him. Anyways, Book two remained my favorite though. It talked about sirens and how beautiful they could make you think they were when in fact, they were flesh eating monsters.

Kyle introduced me to other books by Rick Riordan too. Like the ones about the gods of Egypt and even the Norse gods. I fell in love with the author and also fell in love with the boy that introduced me to him. It was not planned. I blamed it on The Scent. 

Well, the good part was that Kyle was also in love with me. He took me on dates and we talked about everything and anything. About books and dreams. He was 19 and also waiting for his college application to go through.

Everything came crashing down when Kyle just disappeared. I stopped seeing him at the bookstore. His number was no longer reachable. Kyle was my first real love and he left me, without saying goodbye. One of the book keepers told me Kyle had left for Boston. He had finally gotten admitted into Harvard, like he wanted. My college application went through and I also got admission into the University of Florida, Gainesville. I used to think that one day I’d drive all the way to Boston to look for him. But, there are a thousand and one people bearing Kyle. I would never find him like that. Besides, if he wanted me, he wouldn’t have left me in the first place. I stopped going to his father’s bookstore too. And I also didn’t date much.

That was three years ago. I’m 21 and my mother is scared that I’d be a lonely woman. I just didn’t feel the need to fall in love again only for that person to leave me. The sun, the sky, the moon and stars were more faithful to me than any man would be. My books were faithful to me. My own family…

“Hello, hello. Are you okay?” a worried voice brought me back to the present.

Yes, I remember. I am actually at my mother’s magazine launch on a rooftop in Manhattan and I’m sitting down with a flute of champagne. My mother actually wants me to mingle and be happy.

“Yes, I’m okay,” I say to the man sitting opposite me. I realized he was the one who interrupted my thoughts. “Why wouldn’t I be okay?”

“Well, you zoned out when I asked you if you were enjoying the party,” he said to me.

He had asked me that? Wow, how long was I lost in thoughts? I notice him now. He wore a black suit that made him look dashing. He wasn’t wearing a tie and a few buttons of his white shirt were open. He had dark raven hair and dark eyes too. I could describe him as a prince. A charming dark prince. He was handsome, not boyish cute like Kyle but purely handsome. 

“I am sorry I didn’t answer you. I must have not heard your question. I guess the party is going well,” I answered with a smile.

He smiled too. Teeth as white as snow flashed at me. It was a pleasant sight.

“Well, I guess so too. I am Eric by the way. I’m one of the sponsors of the magazine.”

Oh cool, he’s a sponsor. 

“I’m Valerie. My mother owns the magazine.”

“Wow, you’re Elaine’s daughter. I must say, your mother is a force to reckon with. I was more than happy that I’m a sponsor for her fashion magazine. I look forward to more deals with her.

The Scent filtered into my nostrils again and almost brought back thoughts of Kyle again. I used everything in power to push those thoughts away. Kyle was the past. I shouldn’t let him propel my present or my future. I needed to move on completely from him. I don’t know why Eric and Kyle use the same fragrance. Maybe The Scent is attracted to me. Which isn’t a bad thing. I’m a hot lady.

Anyways, mother wants me to mingle at this party instead of star gazing or wallowing in self pity. I’d mingle with this good looking guy and see what happens next.

“Yes, my mother is something,” I concurred with him. 

I took a sip of my champagne I had forgotten was on my table. We talked about a lot of things. He was a good conservationist. I had a good time with him and we exchanged numbers. I saw my mother look towards our direction once and noticed her smile. Yes, mother. I’m mingling at your party. It was a good party indeed. I danced with Eric at some point and I didn’t step on him. 

I look forward to more nights and days with this guy. If we end up dating, it wouldn’t be a bad thing. Hopefully, he won’t ghost on me like Kyle did. 

September 30, 2020 11:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.