Southern Persuasion

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'Persuasion'.... view prompt

29 comments

Historical Fiction Friendship Western

( An excerpt from 'A Brilliantly Scathing Life' unpublished award winning manuscript by author)


Black smoke belched from the smokestack of the Chicago Alton St. Louis Rail Road engine steaming southwest. The passenger car lurched and swayed sending one gentleman trying to negotiate the aisle sprawling into the laps of Kendra and her traveling companions.

“Oh, Ladies, kindly forgive me. Did I hurt anyone? Terribly clumsy of me.” He apologized as he reclaimed his footing, bowed and tipped his bowler hat toward them.

“No harm done and we can not put the blame on you. Who can walk with these rolling pathways?” Kendra accepted his apology.

“Say, do I know you?” They said in unison to one another.

“Wh...what? Oh, excuse me.” He started again. “Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kyle Stanley, most recently from Chicago.”

“Kyle? Kyle. Y'all wouldn't have come from down by Savanna, Georgia at one time, would you?” Kendra responded with her heavily southern accent trying to place him for certain.

“How would you have known that? Yes, I was born and lived most of my life down that way.” He looked puzzled.

“My name is Kendra Potter. My father was Kendall Potter and my grandfather was Randolph Potter. You remind me of my father. I believe you may be my long lost Uncle Kyle.” Kendra said disbelievingly.

“And that must be why you look familiar. You favor your grandfather but, of course, much lovelier. Much, much lovelier. But could I have seen you on stage recently?”

“I'm sorry. Let me introduce my companions. This is Mrs. Evie Pike, stage name 'Evie Brown' of Emporia Operatic Theater. We just performed in Chicago. I sing Gospel at the intermissions. Maybe you saw us there. And this is Mrs. Twyla Potter. A dress designer in Emporia, Kansas. We have also been on a fashion expedition. Would you care to sit and join us so we can continue this discussion?”

“Nice to meet you ladies and, yes, I did see you perform. It was very inspirational. But I must get back to my companions, my wife and my sister. There is a spare seat next to us, would you mind joining us instead?” Kyle suggested.

“Would you ladies mind if I did that? I'll be back shortly. This is important.”

“Of course, take your time. We got all the way to Kansas.” Evie assured.

Kendra and Kyle tottered toward the back of the car, him close to her elbow to steady her. For what purpose he wasn't sure since he was the one that had landed in her lap.

“Meet my wife, Estella, and my sister, Katrina, Kat, for short. You gals will never believe this, but this is my long lost niece, Kendra. Well, she called me 'long lost' but I knew where I was all along so I figure she was the lost one. Actually, I don't know if she existed at all before now.” Kyle was grinning at his own joke.

“Well, imagine that!” Estella exclaimed. “How did you figure that?”

“Nice to meet both of you.” Kendra responded. “Let's see if we can unravel all of this. What do you know about Randolph Potter?”

Kyle responded, “He was one of the sons of a neighboring sugar cane plantation owner down near Savannah, Georgia. He took a liking to my mother, Sugar, a slave owned by the en-slaver at the cotton plantation next to his father's. That 'liking' turned into a little more and I was the result of their young love. They were forbidden to stay together. The young Randolph was forced to fend for himself in another region when his father no longer had a portion of his land holdings to leave to him. I never knew him growing up, only knew of him.

“Years later my mother was taken advantage of by our en-slaver and had Kat here but didn't survive the birth. One of Randolph's brothers contacted him to see if he still had the wet nurse that had tended to his granddaughter when his daughter-in-law passed away. He brought her and another slave man whom he had grown up with along with her five-year-old son to Savannah to take care of Kat. They stayed three years. That wet nurse thought she was in love with me and seduced me into an act that produced a son. She named him 'Tobias' and took him with her when they left. I never saw the child again.

“I have since met Estella and fell in love with her. When slaves were set free we three headed north and worked in factories. We have most recently been in Chicago but want to go farther west. We only have enough funds to make it to St. Louis now but will work some more then go on. Someday these iron horse trains may go all the way out to California which would make the trip so much simpler than a wagon train.” Kyle finished his story.

“Oh, Kyle!” Kendra confirmed, “That fits in perfectly to all that I know. I am wearing black because I lost my Pappy, Randolph Potter, about eight months ago. He died en-route to California on our wagon train trip so we only made it to Kansas and decided that was all the farther we cared to walk. We have some nice land there. Father died in the war. I am seventeen years old. I used to hear from Theo, Rand's good friend and servant, how much Rand loved Sugar. I always thought he was talking about the sugar cane from his father's plantation. It was years later that I found out he meant a woman.

“My nanny, 'Lena, nursed me and her son, Tommy, who is the husband of the young lady, Twyla, who is traveling with me. When I was three, Theo, 'Lena and Pappy went to Savanna to take care of a baby that had no mamma. When they came back they had Toby with them. At age six I thought it was great fun to have a real live baby doll to play with. Toby is eleven now and you would be so proud of him. He is very smart and talented and the family resemblance is strong. Everyone assumes he is my little brother.

“So, I would say, yes, we are very much related, Uncle Kyle.” Kendra was teary-eyed.

“One of God's miracles to be sure! That we should quite literally stumble into one another.” Kyle remarked. “Now what?”

“Well, now, let me think. If you don't have more pressing plans I would like you to come home with me and check out Kansas to see if that is appealing to you at all. Theo and 'Lena are there. They and their spouses run our stage coach rest stop. I will pay for your passage. You can always pay me back. We have been searching for you anyway because Pappy left you an inheritance. You could finally meet your son, Toby. What do you say?” Kendra offered.

“This is unbelievable! How could we refuse an offer like that?” Kyle accepted.

“Oh, Kendra, I have been looking for you. You changed seats. I found the newspaper you were wanting. Who are your new friends?” Charles reached downward and pecked a kiss on her cheek.

“Hi, Charles. You won't believe this but I have discovered this gentleman is my Uncle Kyle. Maybe you have heard us talking about him occasionally. And this is his wife, Estella, and his sister, Katrina. This is our traveling companion and friend Charles Chase. He is with the railroad. Which reminds me. I want to pay for their passage all the way to Kansas with us. Whom do I see about that?”

“Why don't you let me take care of that? It is too hard to navigate these train cars. Don't want you falling all over.” Charles offered.

“That's exactly how we met. I fell into her lap trying to get down the aisle. We thought we knew each other just by family resemblance. Isn't that fortunate?” Kyle explained.

“Kendra, would you step up front with me for a bit?” Charles asked.

“Don't go too far, Folks, I'll get back to you.” Kendra smiled.

Charles held her elbow as he helped her back to the front where their seats were. “Are you sure about these people being related, Kendra. They are black and you are white. There are always con artists trying to work these trains.”

“Why, Charles, such a prejudice comment! Look at 'Lena and Tommy and Toby. They are all mixed race and no one knows exactly how much of what color they may be. We are all one race. The human race. What difference does the shade of skin make? My white, as far as I know, grandfather made love to Kyle's mixed race mother. Kyle made love to mixed race 'Lena and produced Toby whom everyone mistakes for my little brother. Yet my parents were both white, again, as far as I know.

“We compared stories and the facts line up. He would have had to do all kinds of research to know the things he knew. I believe he is Kyle and 'Lena and Theo will be able to confirm it. If not, all they got out of me is a train trip to Kansas. Okay?” Kendra huffed.

“Okay, for now. Please be cautious. You can be so trusting and loving.” Charles sulked. “But I love your enthusiasm!” Charles gave her another side hug and peck on the temple. Always wanting to feel close to her, he left his arm around her shoulder.

When they reached St. Louis for a three hour layover, Charles and Kendra left the others at a restaurant with Kyle and his party to go visit Kendra's late husband's mother, Miss Bellaire, on Fair Avenue.

Kendra was overwhelmed by the activity going on in the multi-purpose establishment. They were ushered to a dining table and soon joined by the effervescent Miss Belle. “It is so wonderful to finally meet you, Child.” She welcomed her with a bosomy bear hug. She hugged Charles equally as enthusiastically.

They were served by a timid becoming young waitress. “This is Camille's first day on the job so we need to be extra patient with her. But I am sure she will turn out to be a valuable asset to the staff in no time.” Belle assured.

During the meal Belle discovered Kendra liked to sing. “Of course you will sing for us.” She announced. “Camille will take you to be outfitted in something gayer than that black dress. Then you shall sing. Don't worry about your young man. I will be sure he is entertained while you get prepared.”

When alone with her in a dressing room Kendra asked Camille how she was liking her new job. “It is enjoyable tending to the diners but I dread the day I will be forced to serve upstairs. The money will be much better and I do need the extra income. I am supporting my younger fourteen-year-old sister, Callie, by myself since our parents died in the cholera outbreak and I don't want her to have to follow in my footsteps.” She confided.

“You mean being a chambermaid upstairs cleaning rooms. You won't like that?” bewildered Kendra asked.

“Oh, more than that will be expected. But the gentlemen tip very well I have been told.” Camille hung her head somberly.

“Camille, I have an idea! Would you and Callie be open to moving to Kansas with me. I am sure I could find you agreeable employment. There is a shortage of eligible young ladies for men to court on the plains so if you want to be married some day you would have lots of young men to choose from. I am not saying everything is perfect in Kansas but it would be a fresh start for you.” Kendra was appalled someone could be forced into serving men. She had no idea what went on upstairs.

“You are too kind. That would be imposing greatly on you. I couldn't possibly...” Camille timidly tried to say no thank you.

“But of course you can. Don't worry, you can always pay me back someday if that's what you are worried about.” Kendra was not going to take no for an answer. “I'll go out and sing two songs for Miss Belle while you get packed and we will get your sister. Is she far? Can we get her on the way to the train?” They made their plan. “Don't worry about Miss Belle. I own this place because my late husband left it to me. I will tell her you impressed me so much I want you to come work for me. Okay?”

Kendra performed her two songs. One in honor of Belle was entitled 'Belle', the second one was a popular tune of the times 'I Want to Marry a Farmer'. An older man reached out and called to her as she made her way from the stage area. “I am just the farmer you need, Baby! I got all the right tools for plowing. I'll marry you right now!” More men chimed in agreeing they were ready and willing trying to pull her to sit on their laps! She scurried away from them appalled at their rudeness.

Then she noticed Charles walking with a jaunty step down the stairs. He must have been served something good up there. He saw her distress and hurried to her side.

They said their goodbyes to Miss Belle with their thanks. Miss Belle was sorry to lose Camille but she understood good help was hard to find.

It was time to get back to the train. Charles was surprised when Kendra presented her two new companions. “Camille liked her new waitress job but was concerned about having to eventually move upstairs to work. What exactly happened upstairs that gave you such buoyancy in your step, Charles?” Kendra asked in the carriage ride.

“What? Oh, stress relief, that's all. It was simply a massage on the feet. Miss Belle referred to it as 'reflexology'. A fifteen minute session could make you feel like you had a full night's rest. Did you know there are spots on the feet that correspond to all parts on the body? So if someone presses or massages on those spots it is felt throughout the body.” Charles expounded.

Kendra looked skeptical. “No really. The back is along the inside of the foot, for instance. The heart about the pad under the toes. The big toe, oh, I don't remember exactly. I was too relaxed.” Charles went on.

“And for that Camille would be leery of working up there and men would tip heavily?” Kendra wanted more explanation. “Camille?”

“Well, I never got to talk to the employees in detail. They simply said they had to make men feel good.” Camille shrugged.

“Oh, I felt real good afterwards. Still do.” Charles confirmed.

“Why would that be for men only? Don't women need to feel good?” Younger sister, Callie, questioned.

“Must take some kind of special training to learn how to do it right.” Kendra guessed. “But I don't understand either, Callie.”

“Give me your foot. I'll try to show you.” Charles offered.

“You won't be touching my foot!” Kendra pulled farther away from him.

“See? That must be why 'men only'.” Charles settled it.

Once the expanded company settled in for the long train journey, conversations centered on what preferences and sort of experiences the newcomers wanted to draw upon when they resettled in their new surroundings. All five agreed they would rather live in town rather than the country setting of the stage coach stop. This was understandable since the two younger girls would want to enroll in school. Being students meant they would qualify to live in the cottages on Kendra's land by the school. Kendra suggested Kyle's family use one of them because it had two bedrooms. The other two sisters, Camille and Callie, would be welcome to share the remaining bedroom in her town home.

Estella and Camille thought they would enjoy working at the hotel. Kyle had an entrepreneurial spirit. He wondered if the town was big enough to support a transport system for citizens to move about town. All he would need would be a wagon or large carriage and he would make scheduled stops at various locations throughout the day. People could catch a ride as needed. Kendra was quick to offer him the box wagon her grandfather built when they traveled west to re-purpose.

Her friend Evie remarked, “Well, Kendra, you have done it again. Used your art of gentle southern persuasion to lure even more productive citizens to our humble homesteads in the tall grasses of Kansas.”

May 02, 2024 19:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

04:14 May 03, 2024

Loved it. Love stories set in the past. We'll never know if it was just reflexology! So cool they all got to meet. Kendra is a real heroine. A few points for you to think about before the deadline. "but married to other spouses.' - in olden times spouse had the meaning of marry (it has changed now-a-days) so it would read better to say, they have spouses, or they are both married, they each have a spouse etc/whatever. not to combine both words in the same sentence. 'timid and nervous, very becoming young waitress.' The waitress may be all...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:36 May 03, 2024

Okay, will take a look. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:04 May 09, 2024

This made me smile Mary as I have a qualification in reflexology although I haven’t used it for some time. A lot of people are nervous about having their feet touched. Nicely written and such an interesting as well as difficult period in history. It was good the way you unpacked all the prejudices. Some great characters here too. Something touching and fascinating about the discovery of long lost relatives. I’d like to read more.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:52 May 09, 2024

Still working on getting it published☺️

Reply

Helen A Smith
16:14 May 09, 2024

I hope you succeed.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:37 May 09, 2024

Thanks. I do, too😅

Reply

Helen A Smith
17:32 May 09, 2024

Sometimes feels like hard work this writing business 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
19:13 May 07, 2024

Your story is immersive, with vivid characters and engaging dialogue. It's a captivating journey into a different time and place. Nicely done!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:20 May 07, 2024

Thank you for the kind compliments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
11:36 May 06, 2024

Fine work.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:22 May 06, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
23:28 May 05, 2024

I knew you'd nail it! Is this a rework from your book?

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:37 May 06, 2024

Only slightly changed and shorter.

Reply

Myranda Marie
02:13 May 06, 2024

It fits the prompt title so perfectly. :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:41 May 06, 2024

Thanks. It also fits this week's about bumping into someone.🤔

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
11:55 May 04, 2024

Just a foot message, huh? There's a lot to unpack from this excerpt. Good read.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:02 May 04, 2024

Thanks for the comment.😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:59 May 04, 2024

Good characterisation. Enjoyable read!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:56 May 04, 2024

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
22:06 May 03, 2024

Like the originality of the story. Kendra is very likable. Well done.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:56 May 04, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
08:07 May 03, 2024

Mary, this was a delight to read, as per usual from you. I love Kendra's spirit. I love the characterisation of all these people from different backgrounds. It seems both of us were inspired by fighting against prejudice this week. Lovely one - Stella (now using her real name. LOL !)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:59 May 03, 2024

Thanks. So pleased you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
00:16 May 03, 2024

What an engaging story! I love how you've brought together all these different characters with their own unique backgrounds and motivations. Kendra's kindness and determination to help others, regardless of their circumstances, shines through. It's inspiring to see her reaching out to people in need and offering them a fresh start in Kansas. The way you've tackled social issues like racial prejudice and economic hardship adds depth to the story and makes it feel real. And the little historical tidbits, like Charles explaining reflexology, ar...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:49 May 03, 2024

I thank you very much for the encouragement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
22:42 May 02, 2024

What a great story of long lost relatives finding each other! Very enjoyable.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:32 May 02, 2024

Glad you enjoyed it.😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
20:54 May 02, 2024

Lovely story. Really liked this one.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:07 May 02, 2024

That means a lot to me since it is out of my book.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.