Maggie's unexpected gift on Christmas Eve.

Submitted into Contest #73 in response to: Write about someone who gets proposed to five times on Christmas Eve.... view prompt

6 comments

Christmas Funny Romance

"When am I meeting my sister in law?" 

"Which one? Just kidding." He brushed it off when his little sister's facial expression changed. 

Martin and Maggie's relationship was the talk of social media. They had a fairly tale-like relationship, admired by everyone. 

"Oh, I nearly lost myself. You two made love worth fighting for." 

"Whatever sis, I am off to pick up Maggie" He responded as he walked fast to his car, he was on a call. He drove fast, passed by Lisville shopping mall. He looked like he was on an emergency duty because he passed red traffic light, nearly hitting the Kia sedan approaching from the left side. He didn't seem to have noticed it. He turned into the hospital street driving to the wards.

He met a beautiful dark skinned lady in the corridor, putting on her beautiful medical outfit. 

"Hey Mem?" he approached her. He was breathing uncontrollably. 

"Hey" She quickly turned in the direction of Martin.

"Well, I am looking for Magrete Immanuel, admitted in the hospital this morning." 

"Walk straight, turn to your right and go in the door right in front of you, that's the reception. I am sure they will....." She directed him but before she could finish her sentence Martin was already heading to the reception. 

"Hi, I am looking for Magrete Immanuel, she came here this morning" He spoke to the receptionist who was calmly seated as if she couldn't hear a thing he said. 

"Hi Mem, I am talking to you" He said it calmly though he was burning inside. 

"Name and ID of the patient?" She was chewing a gum with her eyes fixed on the computer screen in front of her.

"Magrete Immanuel, I don't have her ID card."

"Date of birth?"

"I don't remember that either but I think it is 25th November 1994"

"Okay, why do you look stressed?"

"Thank you for asking but my girlfriend got admitted here this morning and I was planning on proposing to her."

"Oh, that's bad, but you can always propose in the hospital if you have your ring and everything else."

"Her parents, friends, co-workers and siblings are not around." He stressed out.

"Well, you can do it independently to each other , you can propose 5 or 6 times, there is no formula to proposing."

"That sounds like a plan, thank you so much, have a wonderful Christmas Eve"

"How can it be wonderful when I am stuck in the hospital? " She mumbled but Martin was long gone, he headed to the ward the secretary has referred him to.

When Maggie saw Martin arriving, her heart sank with joy, she started crying.

"What happened my love?" He asked while hugging her.

"I don't know, it was just headache." Maggie responded.

"Oh! I am sorry, so how long are they are keeping you here?" He asked.

"I hope not long, most nurses went for Christmas. I had plans for Christmas Eve, I am so stressed babe."

"I understand but your health comes first. We can spend Christmas Eve here if they keep you for the night" She starred at him and demanded for a hug, he also kissed her on the forehead. 

Martin didn't know how to go about proposing, he was nervous and felt not ready but Christmas Eve was the only day set for the big day. He went to his car and went back to the room immediately, he found Maggie sleeping. He was relieved so he went on google and searched 'how to propose a girl for marriage.'

Several minutes later Maggie woke up, they stayed up speaking for nearly half an hour. When Maggie faced the other side, Martin didn't hesitate so he kneeled down waiting for Maggie to turn so he pops the question. 

"Babe, what's up?" She asked, curiously. 

"Would you marry me?" 

"Whaaat? How? In the hospital? Hospital memories? No babe, I am sorry." She got emotional. He felt bad but he later realized it wasn't a good idea so he hugged her and told her it was okay. He assured her that he was not mad at her. 

The doctor came thirty minutes later and put Maggie on another drip. She was stressed. 

Martin went to the shop to get his girlfriend something to eat. He was so stressed because he didn't know the right plans to propose. He bought flowers and few roses and went back. Maggie was washing her face in the bathroom When Martin came in, so as soon as he got there, he kneeled down holding the flowers facing the bathroom. Maggie got frightened, screamed and stopped when she realized it was her boyfriend. 

"Oh, babe, what's going on?" She asked. 

"Babe, would you marry me, please?" When he popped the question Maggie's elder sister Elizabeth walked in so she was left with no option but to say yes because her sister was screaming. 

"Say yes, yes" Martin was excited, he felt light. 

"Thank you my love. Thank you" He hugged her. 

"Congratulations guys" 

"Thank you sis." 

"How are you feeling?" 

"I am better, I hope they discharge me today." 

It was already five o'clock in the evening, Maggie was just wondering the time the time she will be discharged. She looked and felt fine. Martin went home and told the sister what had happened, she was not happy and advised his brother on what to do to accommodate the family in witnessing the event. 

Eva-Lisa planned on surprising the brother, she was a creative young lady who plan events such as birthdays, baby showers and bridal showers. She planned on preparing an event in hours, this could also form part of the family Christmas Eve. 

Martin went to pick up Maggie, she got discharged at exactly 07:13 PM. Before he reached the hospital, Eva called him and asked his whereabouts before she broke the idea to him. 

"Babe, my parents wants to spend Christmas Eve with you."

"Why? And my family?" 

"We will go there later." Martin responded. 

"Today right?" She asked. 

"Yes". 

They drove about 3minutes before reaching home. He left his fiance in the car while he claimed he went to quickly help his young sister with picking up heavy boxes which were in front of the living room. She told him it was no deal she could also help but he insisted. Martin went in, all was organized and parents were seated waiting for him. He told Eva to call her fiance from the car.

"Hi Maggie, nice meeting you, could you please follow me?"

"Hi Eva, I have heard a lot about you. It's a pleasure to finally meet you, give me a moment." She was looking for her shoes and Eva was smiling looking at her sister in law.

They walked to a beautiful tent, Maggie was so impressed by how people take Christmas Eve celebration serious. They walked into beautiful neon lighting, the moment she entered, 'Beautiful in White' by West life started playing on speakers. She was confused, looking in all direction. Eva escorted her to where the brother was. He kneeled down and everyone in the tent stood up, some where ululating and some where clapping hands . Maggie was confused, she thought it was a wedding until the same question was popped the third time again. She didn't want to embarass the boyfriend so she pretended and said "Yes, I will definitely marry you", they hugged and the party continued. They  celebrated for nearly an hour before Maggie called Martin to talk to him.

"My family do not have an idea on my engagement, they might feel betrayed, what do we do? "

"Okay, I thought of that. It's just 20h00, can I do it at your house, in front of your family? He asked as he laughed because that will be the forth time he will pop the same question.

" Hahah we are hilarious, yes let's do it. " They drove all the way to Maggie's parents' house, luckily all the siblings were around and the grandparents as well as few relatives came to celebrate Christmas Eve. They stayed for about thirty minutes and he kneeled down again to pop the question, her family celebrated with joy when Maggie said yes. They celebrated until 21h00.

Maggie than escorted Martin to his car. He went straight home. 

On their way to where the car was packed, he remembered that he had used a wrong ring so he kneeled down when they reached the car.

"I swear this is the last time, I used a wrong ring. Will you marry me Magrete Immanuel? be my wife. "

She giggled and said yes. It was a beautiful silver ring, shining like the lambs of Windhoek and Las Vegas.

They parted ways. A year later they got married. In their marriage, they got blessed with two beautiful children, Alitta and Anneta.

December 25, 2020 14:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

KarLynn Erickson
03:58 Jan 03, 2021

Nice job! Keep practicing! You have the story telling down now you can work on scenery, and character development.

Reply

Ndinaelao Moses
04:26 Feb 27, 2021

Oh wow, thank you so much. This means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeni Conrad
13:19 Jan 02, 2021

I like how you worked the prompt into the story and figured out how a person might have to propose five times. You did well making the dialogue feel natural. Keep practicing your writing. You can only get better. :)

Reply

Ndinaelao Moses
04:27 Feb 27, 2021

Thank you so much. 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
03:46 Jan 02, 2021

Loved it. Keeep writing.

Reply

Ndinaelao Moses
04:27 Feb 27, 2021

Thanks a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.