1 comment

Fantasy Adventure Teens & Young Adult

There once was a small and humble village located on the far corners of the world in the land of Navenon. It was a quaint little place, unlike the large and thriving city that lay just passed two mountains, a great lake, and a rolling hill. They were hunter-gatherers. They fought with swords and shields. They hunted with bows and arrows. They drank mead for thirst and ate boar for appetite. Though the village was poor, they have still been a well-established community for the last fifty years.

For the last ten years, the village has been able to go about its daily life without fear. That’s because the mountain that sits off to the East, which can cast a shadow for miles, has stayed quiet. Not one sound has been heard from it. Before, a great beast would emerge. This great beast was a dragon. It never brought chaos to the village, but it flew over whenever it made its way to the great city, causing everyone to retreat into their houses and huts.

Theareia, a ten-year-old girl and upcoming warrior, had never seen the Dragon. The Dragon had disappeared before she was born, leaving her only hearing stories. Some say the Dragon holds the secrets to the universe. Some say the Dragon made the universe. But the most accurate story was that the Dragon was a thief. His adventures to the great city were to gather offerings of gold, silver, rubies, and diamonds.

As Theareia trained in her marksmanship with a bow in the pig yard outside their hut, she asked her mother, who was passing by, “Mother, was there really a dragon?”

Her mother looked at her and responded, “Yes, Theareia, there was a dragon, but he has been gone for many moons.”

“Where’d he go?” Theareia asked.

“I assume he has died, and thank the Gods for that,” her mother replied.

“Did he ever hurt anybody?” Theareia asked.

Her mother looked at her and responded, “I’m not sure, but he has been around, I’m sure, for over a thousand years. The Gods would only know what he has done in that time.”

As Theareia’s mother retired to the hut, she looked back and asked, “What have you got for your fathers’ birthday?”

Theareia said nothing. She had forgotten his birthday was two days away. He would return home from a hunt, and she would have nothing to give him.

“Don’t tell me you have forgotten your father’s birthday again!” her mother said, raising her voice.

“I haven’t, mother! It’s a surprise what I got him. I can’t tell you!” Theareia assured.

“Good!” her mother replied. “Now come on in, It’s time for dinner, and then it will be time for bed.”

Theareia gathered her arrows from the practice target and retreated inside for dinner.

***

That night when her mother was asleep, Theareia finished packing her sack with rations of bread and cheese. She tied a small dagger to her waist, hoisted her bow and arrow around her back, and snuck outside. The air was quiet, and the moon was high. It lit up the stone path in front of her, and it lit up the mountain of the Dragon. If that mountain really held treasures and the Dragon was dead, then retrieving some gold or rubies would be the perfect gift to get her father before he returned.

The following day, Theareia’s mother thought she must have gone to the lake to play. Sometimes Theareia would even venture out and hunt for small wildlife. Little did her mother know that Theareia was almost to the top of the mountain of the Dragon.

***

Theareia stepped on a twig, and it snapped. She was almost at the top and knew she needed to be quiet. As she approached the end of a path, she jumped behind a large stone and glanced around it. A large cave entrance could be seen. This must be where the Dragon comes in and out, Theareia thought. She looked around but saw no disturbances on the ground. It was true. The Dragon must be dead. Maybe the Dragon never existed at all. Wait, if there is no dragon, then that means there is no treasure. Theareia’s stomach sank. She had to know. And she would. She stepped around the boulder and entered into the darkness of the cave.

To her surprise, the cave was lit with torches that hung from the wall. As she continued, she stepped on a few spiders and even had to pull old webs from her face. Theareia walked until she heard the strangest thing, someone crying. She had to investigate. As she continued, the crying grew louder and louder until she could see the cave opening up into a colossal-sized area. She peaked around the corner, and her eyes grew wider than the moon in the sky.

A great Dragon sat perched, and below him was a mountain of the most beautiful treasure she had ever seen. She gulped. She had suddenly regretted her decision to come here. She was the size of a pebble compared to the monster that lay in front of her. But the Dragon didn’t look dangerous; the Dragon looked sad. She watched, and the crying she heard early was coming from the Dragon! Why was the Dragon crying?

Theareia’s hand hit a loose stone on the wall. It fell out, toppled down, and crashed to the ground. The Dragon swung around in surprise.

“Who… who’s there?” The Dragon commanded.

He wiped tears from his eyes. Theareia stayed hidden.

“I know someone’s there. You better come out.” The Dragon ordered while sniffling. “If you don’t come out now, I will blast you with my breath of fire!”

Theareia hesitated but stepped out from behind the wall and said, “It’s just me….”

The Dragon looked around, “Me who? Where are you?”

“I’m down here….”

The Dragon looked down, “Oh, a little girl.” He sniffled again.

“Why are you crying?”

“I’m not crying!” The Dragon shouted and turned away.

“Yes, you’re! I heard you!” Theareia responded.

“Well, I’m not!” the Dragon said.

“Then explain the tears!” Theareia said as she folded her arms.

“It’s just… It’s just dust that got into my eyes. This darn cave has it everywhere.”

“I think you’re lying. You can talk to me. Like a friend talks to a friend,” Theareia told the Dragon.

“I don’t have any friends,” the Dragon responded.

“Is that why you were crying?” Theareia asked.

The Dragon didn’t say anything.

“I’ll be your friend,” Theareia said.

“A little girl? Friends with a dragon? Yea, okay!” the Dragon said as he sniffled again.

“I’m serious. And I know more people who will be your friend. Is that why you haven’t left here for the last ten years. Because you were sad?” Theareia asked.

“I guess… I thought this gold and silver would make me happy, but it doesn’t.”

“Well, what’s your name?” Theareia asked the Dragon.

He turned, and after wiping snot from his long snout, he said, “My name is Daggonthor.”

“Well, I’m Theareia, and I plan to become a great warrior someday.”

“A warrior, huh?”

“Yep!” Theareia replied.

“Have you come here to slay me? To prove your worthiness of becoming a warrior?”

Theareia looked around at the treasure and said, “I actually came here to try and find a piece of gold. My father’s birthday is tomorrow.”

The Dragon tossed her a piece of gold and replied, “Here. There you go.”

Theareia heisted.

“I also want you to return to the village with me,” Theareia said.

“Everyone would run in terror. They always did before.” Daggonthor responded.

“Not this time Daggonthor! You’re my new friend!” Theareia told him.

Daggonthor smiled and responded, “I’m… I’m your friend?”

“Yes! And I want you to meet my other friends. So stop your crying, and let’s go!”

Daggonthor stepped down from his perch. He gathered a large sack, stuffed it full of treasures, and hoisted it behind him.

“Hop on, Theareia.” He held out his large scaly hand, and she jumped in it. He placed her on his back, and they left the cave.

***

Theareia’s father, along with his fellow hunters, had just returned. They were greeted by their wives and kids. Other villagers began to unload what was gathered.

“Where’s Theareia?” her father asked her mother.

“She must be down by the lake,” she responded.

“I didn’t see her. I passed right by it.”

Suddenly a loud roar came. It shook the earth.

“It’s the Dragon! It’s coming for us!” a villager yelled in terror.

Her father yelled,” Brace men!”

Everyone raised their swords and aimed their bows. They were ready to fight.

As the Dragon approached, they awaited the order from her father to fire when suddenly he noticed the strangest thing. His daughter, Theareia, was flying upon the Dragon’s back.

“Hold your fire!” he yelled.

The Dragon swept down and landed in the village. Everyone stood in terror, and some fell to the ground. Theareia jump down.

“Father, you’re home!” she said as she ran and hugged him.

He kissed her on the head and then pushed her behind him.

“No, father. He means no harm. He is my new friend,” she told him.

Her father looked confused.

“And he came bearing gifts.”

The Dragon unlocked the sack from his back. It toppled down to the ground, and a mountain of treasures rolled out. Everyone in the village gasped.

“My name is Daggonthor, and… I have no friends. Well, until earlier today.” He looked at Theareia, and tears began to conjure in his eyes.

Suddenly another young warrior from the crowd stepped up and said, “I’ll be your friend!”

“Me too!” another kid yelled.

A few adults said the same thing. Daggonthor began to smile.

Her father looked around, amazed at the unfolding situation.

He finally holstered his sword and said, “I’ll be your friend too.”

Theareia winked at him, and Daggonthor nodded back at her in happiness.

***

The treasure the Dragon brought to the village that day was worth a fortune. It was used wisely, helping the small village become a large town full of stores and shops. Where everyone had a house, a horse, and many other things. Though it was far from being poor now, it remained humble and became known across the land of Navenon as Dragons Village.

The sun could be seen sinking in the distance, and Daggonthor soared through the air. Upon him rode Theareia, his new friend, and her new friend, too, a dragon.

February 16, 2023 09:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

J.C. Vayda
22:27 Jul 26, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to view and or read my story. I hope everyone is doing well. This story is for Melissa. I know she's doing well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.