The Pull Over Surprise

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story about a character experiencing déjà vu.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Life is strange at times and it can throw you a curve ball that is so unexpected and yet at the same time be very informative at the same time.

My girlfriend and I are those kinds of chicks that live on the edge and enjoy taking chances, something like testing fate. We were always pushing the limits and seeing what would happen, but we'd do silly things only together so that there was proof of our stupidity, and believe me, there were times that stupidity was lesser of the outcomes.

There is a particular day that comes to mind when we both decided to go to the Cliff Rock out in British Columbia and jump off it and into the ice cold waters below. The only thing is that water runs straight off the mountain and is freezing cold, no matter what the weather is. I mean freezing cold, but we were prepared and would jump in with leggings and a t-shirt. It wasn't going to be a long swim to the rocky shore, and if we put down a blanket each on the rocky shore before we took that jump it wouldn't be so bad.

On this journey of ours, which took over 8 hours one way, we had to stop off a couple times for gas and food. We came up to this one pull over gas bar and restaurant which looked really creepy in the outside. It gave me that feeling as if I was in one of those horror movies where the main characters would go missing and end up dead, not a feeling that was very welcoming, but we needed gas and I was hungry.

My girlfriend gets the gas and I was about to go inside this creepy gas bar-restaurant when I got this strange feeling that we were at this gas bar- restaurant before. But it wasn't in a good way, I felt that whatever was inside was not a good experience and maybe just toss the cash on the counter quickly and get the heck out of there fast.

Once I opened that squeeky door I knew I had a few seconds before someone actually came out from the back room to greet me, and I didn't want to greet them, so, I quickly tossed the gas money into the counter and got out of there. I ran back to the car and opened it the door and got in. My girlfriend laughing at me because of my quick actions back to the car, but once I explained to her that I got that strange feeling of being there at that exact gas bar with her but the experience wasn't good, something told me that I had to get out of there fast.

My girlfriend quickly stopped laughing at me and we drove off like a bat out of hell. Didn't look back, we hit the highway to our destination and to get as far away from that gas bar as possible.

We drove a few more hours until arriving at our cliff and had seen that we weren't the only crazy fools out there. The adventure just got more interesting. We got out of the car and stretched our legs as we got our jumping materials ready, and we had to make sure everything was in place for the moment that we got out of that water, it was going to be cold, you could feel cold from the shore line.

The other people that were there walked over to us and introduced themselves. They were from the States, and heard about this cliff from their buddies that lived in British Columbia, it was the hot spot to be when the weather was so beautiful and just for adrenaline rush too. Then they ask us if we heard about the missing campers that disappeared last year from around the area? We never did so they continued telling us. I guess there were three of them that stopped for gas and disappeared from the gas bar. No car, no bodies, no trace of them at all.

I immediately froze in the spot I was in and my girlfriend looked st me with her mouth wide opened and the first thing that came to mind was I knew something wasn't right about the gas bar, but we needed gas and that feeling like we were there before, must have been true.

It was a warning maybe, something was keeping us safe and maybe we were the campers that went missing? Not sure of the third person though, but while jumping off that cliff into that freezing cold water, all I could think about was how we started out driving? I couldn't remember anything, nothing was clear. My girlfriend couldn't remember either where we started from, but only recall the drive to that cliff. We still don't recall that drive out there at all, as if we were sleeping or something half way there and drove, it was an experience that we'll never get out of our heads.


February 22, 2020 15:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Amy Spaughton
22:29 Mar 04, 2020

This was a really cool antedote. I would of loved to of seen some expansion on the feeling of deja vu.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ola Hotchpotch
18:21 Feb 29, 2020

nice story.Perhaps they were in a trance or hypnotised or maybe the place was calling them or perhaps somebody wanted them to go there. Once I went to a hotel all by myself without any reason. I didn't go there to eat or anything else.It's near my residence.When I reached there I stood in the lobby wondering why I was there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.