0 comments

Adventure Suspense Fantasy

 Moving so soon wasn’t something I thought I would be doing especially after I had warmed up to my neighborhood and my neighbors but with recent events that had taken place and the rumors that were now swarming the neighborhood like flies I knew my new safe haven had been compromised this wasn’t about choice it was about survival and protecting my secret it didn’t do me much good to have people now paying extra attention to me but I had to move. It had been three weeks after the ‘incident’ and I had comfortably settled in my house in a new suburban neighborhood in the quiet town of Maysville it was a lot different from the city where I had just moved from this was a more quiet and serene environment, a very welcoming change from my two bed room apartment in the noisy and every busy city, Maysville from what I had noticed seemed to be a community in every sense of the word when I had arrived I was welcomed by the welcoming committee which consisted of one elderly woman Mrs. Willison and three other middle aged women Martha, Grace and Autumn they brought pies over to my house and homemade lemonade which I was very thankful, the women stayed over an hour asking me questions ranging from my age, occupation, where I had moved from etc. then they talked about the previous owners and gave me some tips and directions to find my way around the community eventually when they left I was thankful, don’t get me wrong the gesture was nice but I didn’t want any unnecessary attention drawn to me.

   I had to move because I felt I could no longer keep my secret living in the city it was way too small and cramped and my secret needed a lot of space if I was going to hide it well and after my ‘incident’ it was obvious that it could no longer be possible, people in my neighborhood were staring at me when I passed I heard their whispers, the mothers kept their children at arms lengths from me, the pet owners walked their dogs in the opposite direction I couldn’t blame them I would have done the same thing if I had found out that someone had woken up in the middle of the street naked with traces of blood on them which I had later come to find out was one of Mrs. Kutcher’s cats Leslie; she was an old woman who lived alone with about six cats when Leslie didn’t come back home after a day she pointed the finger towards me and she was right to do so. After that my life was upside down, people left notes on my front door telling me to move out, one time I came home to the word ‘freak’ painted in black in front of my door and then finally there were whispers that I was a witch which I wouldn’t have minded it sure beat being a werewolf which I had my ex-boyfriend Max to thank for, if I had known what he was I wouldn’t have followed him that faithful night. He had been behaving different and being distant so naturally I suspected he was cheating on me I decided that faithful night to follow him and catch him in the act with the girl, I was sure I was on the right track when he went to pick her up from her house, Kate a tall, slim, pretty blonde girl but when they had been driving for an hour in the outskirts of the city I should have turned back but my curiosity needed to be satisfied when they parked and started walking into the thick black forest I should have turned back but I kept following behind quietly and safely from a distance so I didn’t get caught, I had come to a conclusion that they were here for a weekend getaway in a cabin the thought broke my heart because I had fallen hard for Max and I was convinced he was the one, after a while they came to a spot that had been covered with tree branches and a huge logs of tree but they removed the logs so effortlessly I was a bit surprised after they were done they opened a door on the floor and went inside something told me to turn back but my curiosity needed to be satisfied and my suspicions needed to be clarified so I waited for about ten minutes then I went towards the door, opened it and went inside. The interior looked like an old cellar, it was dusty, moldy, it had cages and chains in it, plus it had a terrible smell; the type of smell a farm or kennel would have.

     I heard their voices that was when like a ghost I appeared in front of them but what I saw was very horrific, Max had been bound In chains, he had chains on his neck, his arms and his legs he was chained to the wall like an animal, while Kate looked like she was getting ready to do the same considering she had already chained her feet to the wall I wanted an explanation but Max ignored my questions and constantly demanded that I leave so did Kate but I didn’t listen to either of them and I was a witness to how painful and excruciating their transition was. When the screams from both of them started I watched in horror as their bones cracked, as they screamed in excruciating pain, their bodies stretched and bent in different ways, Max had repeatedly shouted at me to leave but I couldn’t move I felt like I was paralyzed by fear and confusion, my heart rate had picked up, my mouth was left open, my eyes widened in horror and my body stiff as I watched Max and Kate transform into wolves, first their hands turned into claws, then their feet into paws, then I watched the hair on their body increase into fur, whiskers grew on their faces and finally their heads took the form of a wolf.

 They were full blown wolves now, Max was a black wolf and Kate was brown although she was much bigger in size and mass than Max after they transitioned they started to aggressively howl and bark at me as they tried to break free and reach me but I was meters away from them still trying to convince myself what I was witnessing was real and somehow ignoring that these animals were trying to charge at me, it wasn’t until Max had successfully broken one of the chains binding one of his paws that my body had finally caught up with my brain and I realized I was in trouble, I had gone from confusion and fear to panic and fear that was when my fight or flight mechanism took off I didn’t hesitate another second I started to run; no sooner had I started when I heard one of the wolves chasing hard right behind me I increased my speed but the growls were getting closer I knew I wouldn’t be able to get to the door before the wolf caught up to me so I decided to enter a room with a steel door that looked like it had been made for situations like this I was trying to close the door when Max scratched my hand in an attempt to pry the door open luckily I was able to jam his hand against the door and it gave me a split second to securely close the door, I could hardly sleep because the room was dark so I had to use the torch from my phone and it very uncomfortable coupled with the agonizing pain the scratch was causing me and let’s not forget the fact the shock from what I had just witnessed. The next day when they had both transformed back to humans and it was safe for me to come out; I left there without a word Max chased after me wanting to explain but I was too horrified to listen to anything I told him to stay away from me and I left, when I got home I blocked him on every social media app possible I thought I had gotten rid of him from my life when one day I came home to find Kate waiting for me in front of my apartment I was going to ignore her but before I could enter my apartment building she blurted out something unexpected “Max sent me here since you won’t talk to him that scratch makes you one of us now, let us help you get through this when you are ready you know where to find us” with that she walked way but I wasn’t having it I mean I refused to believe that a scratch would turn me into a werewolf because I had chosen to live in denial of what I saw the other night so I never contacted either of them that was my second mistake. On the night of the full moon coincidentally I was coming back from a camping trip I had gone on with some co-workers I was just a few minutes from the city when I started to feel this  pain in my back so I parked the car on the side of the road to get some air when the pain increased and became worse that was all I remembered before I woke up in the morning in the middle of my street naked. After that I decided to call Kate and meet up with her she explained everything to me, what I needed to do the next time, the powers I now had as well as the responsibilities that came with them, she was actually the one that found the house in Maysville for me she was very helpful after my first transition that was also partly because she was my Alpha she helped me move out of my apartment in the middle of the night she wanted Max to come and help but that was a chapter of my life I wasn’t ready to revisit yet.

   When I got to Maysville I had taken a personal tour round to survey the place most houses here looked a like, they were brown bricked non-gated houses with backyards, garages and chimneys that were only a few meters apart from the next house thankfully mine was different it was a bit further than the other house next to mine considering it was on the end of the street it was painted white both inside and outside the house but I had changed the interior painting to dark green, I was now living in a duplex with three rooms and two bathrooms, a medium sized kitchen which a large oven I could happily use to bake as many things as my heart desired, a basement that I had now made soundproof with very strong chains built into the wall, an attic and a gated backyard with a swing courtesy of the previous owners. There was an elementary as well as a high school, a bakery that sold amazing donuts, a post office, a community pool, a gym, two supermarkets, a youth/community center, two churches and a big woods that apparently people only visited during hunting and fishing season which made me very relieved in fact this one of the few reasons I had chosen to move to Maysville. I didn’t care much for making friends or being involved in community activities when I had first gotten here but after ease dropping into a few conversations especially from my neighbors The Carmichaels thanks to my heightened sense of hearing I discovered in order to blend in I had to get involved with the community, the Carmichaels were a nice family they had two children; two girls, Mr. Carmichael was a nice, outgoing middle aged man but his wife was the opposite she was one of those snubby suburban mums who thought everyone was beneath her, their family was very well to do especially because her husband owned a chain of supermarkets one of which was in the town, she of course had minions as any queen Bee would there were three of them I called them the power puffs they were always together gossiping and looking down on everyone, from what I had noticed most of the women in the community wanted her approval and me not caring or seeking her approval made her especially irritated by me I didn’t mind as far as she minded her business I wouldn’t have a reason to make trouble for her but other than that I liked the town as far as I kept myself chained during my transition I didn’t have any reason to be worried about waking up naked in the town hall, or one of the gyms or being a suspect for murdering a pet or worse a human being and it was also fun using some of my powers secretly especially in the night I would go to the woods and use my super speed to run round the woods or use my super hearing to my advantage or use my super strength to lift heavy things or use my telepathy to read people's minds or influence their thoughts; one time I tried it on the Mayor, Mrs. Carmichael had asked the mayor to ban people from going to the forest unless they had a reason because teenagers were sneaking into the woods to ‘fool around’, she had bugged him about this for a while and I heard him telling one of the men in the community that he was considering it just so she could leave him alone especially because she had rallied all the other women to agree with her this didn’t work for me so all I had to do was look him in the eye and tell him it was a bad idea and he didn’t grant her what she wanted it was the first time I had ever tried it, Kate had told me it was one of the may powers I had; of course Mrs. Carmichael was angry so I influenced her decision too and told her she could never challenge the Mayor unless I gave her permission to do so it shocked people how she never argued with the mayor after that day, there was also the time I compelled this boy who was bullying this little boy to start a fight with the teacher which ended up getting him expelled and the family had to move away or the time I beat up some guys who tried to assault a girl in the woods when I was on one of my quiet times there then I compelled them to report themselves to the sheriff and also made them all forget I was ever there everyone couldn't believe or understand why they turned themselves in but they were charged regardless or the road leading out and into town got blocked because some trees blocked the road during a very heavy storm we were told nobody would be able to remove it for another two days so in the middle of the night I went to remove the trees and cleared the road nobody could explain what had happened some even said it was a miracle or some kind of divine intervention; even with all these strange events going no one had suspected the new girl who just moved into town. Maysville was going to serve me well, I could control the people if I wanted to, I had a playground and a private place in the woods to myself, I loved the power and control I had over them I might have an Alpha but I was the new alpha of Maysville.  

October 31, 2020 00:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.