8 comments

Fantasy

Ethan adjusted his tie in the mirror and sighed. His hair was a total mess. He tried to cut his hair a week back, and as you might have guessed, it didn't go that well. His hair now looked uneven, and with patches longer than others. No time to fix it now. Ethan was envious of his girlfriend. Jenna walked up to the mirror, stood in front of Ethan, and glanced up and down. She frowned, looking at her messy hair and picked up a brush. Within minutes she was able to smooth out her curls. And the spray she used to add the shine to her hair always did the trick. Jenna picked up a makeup bag and went into the bathroom to do her magic. She hummed a melody that seemed familiar to Ethan, though he couldn't quite recall from where. Ethan sighed again and dragged the comb through his thick hair. He glanced down at his watch and sighed again. He waited for Jenna to come out of the bathroom before mumbling something about how they were going to be late. They were almost out of time. 


Jenna ignored his warnings, because of him they were always early. Jenna spun around and showed him her outfit. The dress flew around her, floating gracefully. Ethan has never seen anything so stunning. The dress was golden, long, and almost looked like it was shining. He blinked repeatedly. 


Jenna asked, "Don't you just love it?"


"Of course I do. It's magical," smirked Ethan. Of course, he did. She never failed to impress him. How could she? Jenna smiled and walked into the bedroom to grab her bag, which she always brought with her. She slipped in her favorite chocolate bar that always helped her regain her energy after a long night.


In five minutes, they were out the door. The street was covered in snow, and every step left a deep footprint that soon would be covered in snow again. They walked over to their small, yellow Volkswagen Beetle and got in. Ethan got in the driver's seat. Jenna got into the front passenger seat. Ethan pulled out of their driveway, in the middle of nowhere. It was a calming drive, like always. The sound of the car driving on the packed snow was relaxing to Ethan, but the sound seemed to have no such effect on Jenna. His girlfriend almost lost her magical glow in moments of stress like this. Her dress seemed to have almost changed colors, to become plain yellow and her hair was had none of the curls that were there before they left the building. She looked as if the color was drained from her. Not to worry, Ethan told himself, this happened every time. 


They arrived at 5 o'clock sharp. Ethan got out of the car and helped Jenna out. He carried her blue bag, which was much heavier than he expected. Ethan walked behind Jenna until the door, which of course he held open for her. She gave Ethan a weak smile and walked by. He rushed after her. Jenna always walked faster when she was stressed. Now she was almost running. 


Ethan followed Jenna through the audience, which already began to settle down, and up the stairs to the back of the stage. Ethan glanced at the audience, who seemed to be bored after waiting. He hoped Jenna wouldn't notice this. The crowded backstage quickly made room for Jenna as she hurried to her usual spot; Ethan rushed to put her bag down and run over to his booked seat in the front row. He eagerly waited for his girlfriend to come on stage. Minutes went by, and she was still backstage. Whispers and chattering started going around the room, but it was suddenly quiet when she floated on stage. Violin in hand, she sat down on the small stool in the middle of the stage. The crowd shifted with anticipation. She lowered the bow, almost touching the string of her violin. Ethan glanced into her eyes. They were filled with panic. She took a deep breath. The silence seemed to have stretched for hours, though it was a mere moment before her bow touched the strings of her violin. And suddenly, the room filled with angelic music, nothing like you have heard before or will ever hear. 


Jenna's face lit up with happiness, and she put words into notes, she wrote books with her music and told stories with her melodies. Her music conveyed all her thought and emotions, worries and dreams. Jenna lifted off the chair and with a leap, soared into the air, her music continued to play uninterrupted. Her music was less of a sound and more of a feeling. Her violin made music that a whole orchestra would fail to replicate and songwriters couldn't mark a single note, though all were clear as day. She danced in the air, her dress flowing behind her. She floated through the walkway, shinning her light onto anyone she passed. Her hair floated as if it was in the water, making shapes otherwise impossible.


Ethan stared as his girlfriend spun through the air slowly, and her violin made sounds that many couldn't imagine and most couldn't process. It almost sounded like there were birds flying alongside her. With each step, her notes would change, yet still maintaining the same melody and rhythm. Jenna walked through the air, She rose to the top of the theater as all lights were directed towards her, playing her notes faster and faster... and just like that it was over. She floated down majestically to Ethan, who couldn't find words to praise her enough. 


He stared at her blankly. But she understood. She turned back to the audience. For a moment there was a deafening silence. Then the room exploded with applause. Jenna bowed shyly. She went backstage to grab her bag and took out a big chocolate bar to share with Ethan.


And the night was over. The audience awkwardly shuffled out of the room while quietly chatting with the person next to them. The whole atmosphere felt a bit off in the room. But every person that came out that the room was never the same. Because they experienced something out of his world. 

March 14, 2020 03:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Boris Baggins
04:31 Mar 14, 2020

It reads like introduction to the new big book - still to be created by this new author....unknown to the big World - yet

Reply

Show 0 replies
Boris Baggins
04:28 Mar 14, 2020

Fantastic! It looks like the first step in the creation of the new fairy tail !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ola Hotchpotch
04:49 Mar 19, 2020

nice story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:41 Mar 18, 2020

That was an interesting piece, really good ideas and a very unique talent. I like that violin music somehow transports not only Jenna, but her audience as well. You really do have to be mindful of repetition though, each paragraph contains a word or phrase that you seem to get hung up on. In the opening paragraph, it's 'hair'. When you read over your story before submitting, I would suggest watching out for that. Everyone does it, I'm super mindful of it for a reason :) ...

Reply

P S
02:12 Mar 19, 2020

Thanks a lot for the kind words! I will make sure to consider this next time I write a story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jean Lagacé
18:30 Mar 18, 2020

I like this story. Very poetic. It got me to listen to that piece below. It might not be Vivaldi but it has all it takes nevertheless to make one fly high out and far away from the corona virus. https://youtu.be/1LcasnqryU4

Reply

Show 0 replies
Boris Baggins
04:33 Mar 14, 2020

Desperately waiting for continuation!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Boris Baggins
04:32 Mar 14, 2020

It would be great if the future book was supplied by pictures

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.