40 comments

Horror Mystery

I tightly held my mum’s hand and lead her to my room. The lights had gone off and the dark always scared me. Every tick of the clock would make my heartbeat even faster. It felt like every second it got darker and darker. The bedroom was just tidy enough to show that I cared about the space and just messy enough to show that I was able to let her creativity roam free. My mum gently tucked me into bed and kissed me on the forehead.

β€œMumma, can you sing a lullaby for me?”

β€œA lullaby? Aren’t you a bit too old for those?”

β€œNo, please?”

The lullaby was music to ears, zoning me out from the darkness that dwelled around. It was the only thing that helped me sleep.


Just then, there was a knock on the window. The sound of the knocking was the sound of a heartbeat, getting faster by the second. The figure was vague, but I could make out an oval head with wavy hair coming up to her shoulders. Her head was tilted forward, and her face was hidden. She was wearing a loose white dress. I hugged my mum tightly trying not to scream.

β€œit’s ok darling, it’ll go away soon.” She said with little to no certainty in her voice.Β 

The figure slowly lifted her head and tilted slightly to the right. A huge grin was on her face, the tips of her lips trying to escape the cheeks.


My pulse started beating faster and my breathing was clearly noticeable.

β€œOk, Stephany, go hide in the cupboard I’ll be right back.”

β€œMum, please stay safe.”

β€œI won’t worry.”

I stayed in that cupboard that night. An 8-year-old girl all alone in the house. The sound of that terrified me. About an hour after dawn, I heard my mum’s voice. As the rays of light trying to break in through the edges of the curtains I heard,

β€œHoney, you can come out now,” she said in a playful voice.

I slightly peaked out and saw her blue eyes shining at me through the gap in the bedroom door. She’s been saying that for minutes now, but I’ve ignored her. It can’t be her; my mum’s eyes are grey. Just like mine.


I’ve been wondering why she just doesn’t come in and get me. There must be a reason she’s tricking me into coming out. Then I saw it. The mirror in the corner of the room exposing every inch of the room If you look from the right angle. My angle. Maybe she can’t be seen in front of the mirror? I decided not to move because I could see everything through the mirror. It was the perfect place to hide from a ghost. Never thought I’d be saying that in my lifetime.


I waited a while hoping that she would soon go away but I soon realized it was like a loop. Like clicking the rewind button at the same place every time. Like a point on a wheel always meets the ground again and again. Her voice, gestures were the same every single time she said it.

β€œHoney, you can come out now”

The voice ached my head now, even though it was my mum’s. There should be a way to stop this. I thought hard when it hit me. The ghost can’t be seen through mirrors. That means I shine a mirror at her right? But the mirror’s in the bathroom which is outside this closet…


I waited for the perfect moment to leave and grab the mirror. At the start of the loop when she hasn’t yet poked her head through the door. Every inch of me said she could easily not follow the loop and come in earlier. Every atom pulling me back into the closet. But what’s life without taking risks. All these thoughts consumed me and by the time I knew I was already in the bathroom holding the mirror in my hand. I waited for her to come in. But she didn’t. The loop continued. Did I trick her into thinking I was still in the closet? I checked the time on my mum’s phone sitting next to the sink. 2:32. It was late. Really late. There was only one thing I could do now. Go out there. I steadily held the mirror facing forward in front of the chest and slowly walked out the bathroom towards the door. I could hear her coming towards me. Any time now I would hear β€œHoney, you can come out now”. The footsteps continued. Wait a second. She should’ve been here by now. I stood there in confusion, the footsteps continuing to grow louder by the second.

Honey, it’s time to go to bed” she said.

I stared into her eyes. They weren’t blue anymore. They were grey. Like my mother’s.


β€œWhat are you doing with a mirror?” she smiled at me puzzled.

β€œOh, um nothing”

β€œOk let’s go time to go to bed” she cheerfully said

I looked at her muddled and quickly rushed to check the time. It was 8:30pm.

I was so confused.


Β Did any of that really happen?


I asked my mum to sing me a lullaby again. It felt like everything today night was happening repeatedly. Then I heard it. There was a knock on the window. Once again it was the same knocking beat that followed my heartbeat. Once again, her head was tilted forward, and her face was hidden. Once again, she was wearing a loose white dress.

July 11, 2021 01:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

Eren Yeagar
04:18 Sep 07, 2021

aaaaaaaaaaa <screams of joy> ugh this is the worst story I've read in my life!!!!<me doing sarcasm> beautifully designed!! btw,..,, can u pick a character for my reedsycast!!???... link: https://forms.gle/tF2ZEUVaWPzdf5Vf9

Reply

AAA THANKS! omg that would be an honour and a pleasure

Reply

Eren Yeagar
03:46 Sep 08, 2021

wut Character did u pick?

Reply

i don't remember lol. Also sorry for the super late reply

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:19 Aug 20, 2021

What was your name before?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:46 Jul 31, 2021

Oop, I love this! Really surreal and kinda eerie; I like the mysterious aspect ;D The way you wrote this story is just so PRETTY, like the word choice is almost poetic. Great job! :D

Reply

THANKSSSSSSS. Omg I'm so happy you liked it lol.

Reply

14:17 Aug 01, 2021

Nppppp! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:15 Jul 20, 2021

*c o n v e r s a t i o n s t a r t e r* hullo

Reply

*c o n v e r s a t i o n c o n t i n u e r* HULLOOOOOOO

Reply

22:09 Jul 20, 2021

*d o p e* HOW YA DOINGGG

Reply

14:34 Jul 21, 2021

YAYYY ANY REASON WHY?

Reply

LOCKDOWN EXTENDED AND NOW IM HAPPEEEEEEEE. I LIKE ONLINE LEARNING ITS SO CHILL. YOU????

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alex Sultan
07:49 Jul 13, 2021

Interesting story and take on the prompt. I like how you wrote it from a child's perspective and in a believable way at that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Wow, Rachel. This was very mysterious, but I'm not completely satisfied with the ending. I really like the heartbeat metaphor and living in a world where everything repeats is very scary. This was very ingenious and I enjoyed every word. I really want to know what happens to Stephany. Grate storytelling and prose. One thing that I applaud you for is writing from an 8-year olds perspective. You didn't use any really convoluted text or big words. It was real simple, and it makes it more believable for an 8-year old. Amazing! Also, I posted a ...

Reply

Thank youuuuu. Yeah, I had writer block for a really long time and finally wrote this so it isn't the best. Yeah, I tried going for that simple language to indicate the 8 yo old thing. For the ending, I'm actually thinking to write a pt 2 but I left it there for like mystery you know you know. Yup ill check it out ASAP.

Reply

No, I think it's wonderful!. Don't sell yourself short:) When I said I wasn't satisfied I meant that I really wanted to know what would happen to Stephany. So it means that your attempt at suspense was successful. Sorry for being vague. Yay!!!! So excited!!! I know, I know. I getcha;)

Reply

You did!? THANKS. OHHHH yeah ok. I thought you didn't like the ending ahaha. Yeah, but I might still do a pt 2 I dunno. If I feel like it I will :)

Reply

I'll be the first one to read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

wheres the new story that you posted? can't find it :( glinting spoons has always been your last

Reply

I deleted it b/c I wasn't satisfied or completely proud of it. It didn't meet to my standards. Don't worry, I'll be posting another one for this contest.

Reply

ok great! can't wait :P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.