24 comments

Funny Creative Nonfiction Happy

***The Banters have finally been prompted to bicker-banter again as they move toward their goal of getting enough banters together for a little book. Inspiration sure takes its time striking these days LOL.***

Hey Matthew. You won't believe this!

What wouldn’t I believe?

Well, this just seems so ridiculous. Like, how do people get locked in museums overnight?

Um…they were taking a dump in the washroom when the museum closed?

Oh, aren’t you the clever one? Now, how did you figure that out? That, apparently, is one of the most common reasons. Like, take this homeless man in Britain who needed to use a loo. He wandered into the famous Tate Museum of Art and fell asleep in the cubicle. When he woke up everything was dark and the museum was all locked up. Could you imagine how he felt? I’d be freaking out!

Well, it doesn’t take much to freak you out, Martha. But, for what it’s worth, I remember falling asleep on the toilet on more than one occasion…

That doesn’t surprise me, Matthew. You spend hours in there reading. I always fall asleep when I’m reading. Doesn’t your bum get numb?

No need to be cheeky Martha. Anyway, with the way you always need to go pee, I could see you being locked in a museum after closing hours. 

Shush! But, come to think of it, when I attended a meeting of our writers’ group at TerryBerry Library a little while back, I was busting at closing time. I hit the toilets and wasn’t quite finished when all the lights went out. Talk about panic…especially since it was so dark I couldn’t even see the toilet paper dispenser!

Ah, that’s my Martha. Anyway, what’s with this sudden interest in museums? In all the years we’ve been married, you’ve never shown much interest in museums. 

That’s because I’m not interested in the kind of museums that you’re interested in, like airplane or technological museums. And while I appreciate art, I don’t understand any of it unless it’s obvious, and so much of it isn’t obvious to me, especially the more modern stuff that just looks like a kid threw paint at a canvas! But that said, I do have another reason for not being particularly interested in museums.

And that is? 

Ok. Tell me this: what’s the scariest movie that you remember seeing when you were young?

Easy. “Creature of the Black Lagoon” when I was about 8. And then, ten years later, that shower scene in “Psycho” really got me. Why do you ask?

Because for me, when I was barely 7 in 1953, it was “The House of Wax”. Do you remember that one with Vincent Price? It was considered so scary they weren’t letting children go see the movie. But my mom and dad wanted to see it so they took me along and my father argued with the people at the door saying that I was with them and he was my father, and it was his decision what his daughter could see or not see. Dad was a pretty scary man when he wanted his way. So they let us in.

So what’s the connection between that and your sudden interest in museums?

Hang on. I’m getting there. So while we were watching the “House of Wax”, my father kept asking if I was okay. I’d nod, indicating I was just fine, but inwardly, I was petrified. I mean, who wouldn’t be terrified at the thought of someone dropping you into hot, boiling wax while you’re still alive just so that person could end up with truly lifelike models for a wax museum?

Gory, all right.

Yes, it was gory and for weeks later, once all the lights were off in our house, I couldn’t get to sleep because I kept seeing someone climbing through my bedroom window. I’d put the pillow over my head, then peek out a few minutes later to see if someone was still there. I’d also wake up halfway through the night and immediately look at the window. I guess that’s why the insistence on not letting kids see the movie. It was similar to the warnings issued years later for “The Exorcist”. 

And this is why you’ve never been interested in museums? 

Well, not entirely. You see, despite “House of Wax”, I do have a morbid fascination with wax museums, though I’d probably die if I ever got locked inside one after dark. But just this week, something prompted me to look into the most unusual museums, and I couldn’t believe some of the weird ones you can visit worldwide.

Like?

Like, there’s one in Beijing that’s devoted to taps…yep, you heard me correctly…and another located in the Leeds Castle in England that attracts over half a million dog lovers annually. It has a display of puppy attire with over 100 unique items dating back centuries. So would you visit either of those?

I must confess neither would interest me. Did your search reveal any museums more exciting than those two?

Oh, for sure. Not that I’d be interested in seeing this other one in England, but the Brits have a lawnmower museum that houses a working lawnmower that is less than 5 centimeters high, along with the first solar-powered robot grass chopper. Seems odd to me that something powered by solar would already be a museum piece, but what do I know?

Ah, time’s just getting away from both of us love. What others might we like to visit if we could?

Well, there’s a potter’s cave museum in Turkey where the walls under the potter’s studio are covered with hair from over 16,000 women!

That sounds as creepy as your house of wax. No thanks!

Then there’s the Bread Museum in Germany, and the Celebrity Hall of Fame in Hollywood which immortalizes items of women’s clothing like push-up bras and thongs and even women’s undies worn by men in drag! And there’s the Museum of Bad Art in Dedham, Massachusetts that is…get this…located in a basement next to the toilets! 

How convenient. I wonder if there’s a museum of Bad Books where publishers send the rejected manuscripts. One is bound to fall asleep on or off the toilet there. Anyway, all of those 

sound like a big yawn.

Well, they’re probably more interesting than the Ramen Museum in Japan or the Salt ‘n Pepper Shaker Museum in Tennessee, or the Clown Museum in Wisconsin…

Think I’ll pass on those. Did you uncover ANY museums that would be worth the time and expense of traveling to them?

Okay. So, if we could handle the macabre, and as long as we never get locked inside one after closing time, there’s the Kunstkamera in Russia which has a massive collection of over 200,000 oddities like deformed fetuses and decapitated heads…

Trust the Russians to exhibit those!

…or the Siriraj Medical Museum in Thailand which focuses on death with gruesome exhibits like mutilated arms and legs, bullet holes in skulls, hemorrhaged brains…

Martha, STOP! I think my brain is hemorrhaging with this overload of hideous images. Reminds me of that time you and I went to a late-night drive-in in Alamogordo, New Mexico. They were playing “Night of the Living Dead”. Remember that? Do you remember how spooked we both were when we needed to go to the toilet during the intermission? The night sky was pitch black and neither of us wanted to admit it, but we were so shaken by all those ghouls we held hands and ran like hell to the washrooms and back to our car. That was almost as bad as being locked in one of those last two museums you mentioned. Ugh!

Oh how well I remember that…and how silly we both felt afterwards. Our imaginations do frightening things to us sometimes, don’t they? Well, just to get off the macabre, there is one more museum that I would just love to visit.

<sigh> Okay, where is it and would I enjoy it?

I don’t know if you’d enjoy it, but with my weird sense of humor, I think I’d get a real charge out of it. It’s in Iceland, and they’re offering very inexpensive flights from Canada directly to Iceland these days. 

Right! Well before we book a flight, what would we be going to see?

The Iceland Phallological Museum.

Come again? Are you saying what I think you’re saying?

Yep! It’s where you can learn everything you ever wanted to know about the male sex organ!

Are you serious, Martha? After 82 years on this earth and two children, I think I have a pretty good idea of what a penis is for and so do you!

True. But on its website, this museum says it’s probably the only museum in the world that contains a collection of phallic specimens. We can look at 276 penises ranging in size from 2 millimeters…don’t worry, that’s a hamster penis…to the 1.7-metre organ of a sperm whale. There are also lampshades made from bull testicles…

Enough woman!

Wait! I’m not done yet: in 2011, someone donated the penis of a 95-year-old Icelandic man to the exhibit!

Matthew? Matthew? 

Where did you go, Matthew?

March 19, 2024 15:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Michelle Oliver
11:49 Apr 02, 2024

Hahaha, poor old Matthew. I must admit it’s not a museum I’d want to go to. Lovely to see the return of this couple. Lots of fun as usual!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Paul Simpkin
08:59 Mar 27, 2024

This is the first time I have read one of your stories and I enjoyed it a lot. Lots of research!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darvico Ulmeli
07:53 Mar 27, 2024

Wow. I'm more like Mathew. I mean, don't have problem with those type of museum, but not really interesting to visit them. So original take on prompt. Enjoyed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aeris Walker
19:46 Mar 25, 2024

I just saw a photo of the salt and pepper shaker museum the other day...that's one I'd actually enjoy visiting. And Gatlinburg is only a hop, skip, and 7-hour jump away from me! Haha. The dialogue in this story flowed so well, and the format was fun, humorous, and informative. Some whacky museums out there for sure!

Reply

Viga Boland
19:49 Mar 25, 2024

Thanks for leaving me a comment, Aeris. I’d begun to think no-one likes my Banters anymore…and just when I’m finally drumming up the courage to put out a little book of banters LOL

Reply

Aeris Walker
20:05 Mar 25, 2024

I've probably missed most of them, as I've been on a bit of a reedsy hiatus to focus on school, but I think dialogue-only stories can be a really fun challenge! And Martha and Matthew sound like a cool couple--the kind who throw very memorable dinner parties haha.

Reply

Viga Boland
20:14 Mar 25, 2024

They did…a long, long time ago 🤪

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:57 Mar 25, 2024

Hi Viga, I’d forgotten about the House of Wax - it was a pretty terrifying watch for a young kid. Your story highlighted how fascinating these various museums are in a humorous way. It made me want to visit at least a few of them - maybe not the Icelandic one - sounds a bit exhausting! Totally enjoyable. Also, funny about the toilets. That must happen a lot.

Reply

Viga Boland
19:47 Mar 25, 2024

Hey Helen, Thanks for commenting. Nice to get more than just a “like” which seems to have happened a lot on this post. I was beginning to think it had gone over like a lead balloon. I ended up going over to check out the stories by all who gave me a “like” but no comments. That brought a few back to leave a brief comment, but mostly only to thank me for commenting on their posts. Things seem to have changed a lot wth community members here during my absence. Lots of new folks, and very little from all those I used to exchange comments with ...

Reply

Helen A Smith
20:26 Mar 25, 2024

There are some great newcomers, but a lot seem to have left and like you, I miss them. It’s important to get feedback - otherwise what is the point? A few of them have said they are taking a break because they want to spend time on a novel. Maybe they’ll return at some point. Anyway, glad to see you are writing on this site.

Reply

Viga Boland
03:06 Mar 26, 2024

Well, my contributions here are always short and far between. Depends on the prompts. Besides, I too am working on writing projects, like a couple of children’s books I started 10 years ago…but already on Amazon now…plus a beautiful poetry/photo project with my husband called Where Shadows Dance. Planned to do that decades ago. It took retirement and the pending grim reaper to get me moving while I still can 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
15:48 Mar 20, 2024

Hilarious! Lots of research.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
08:16 Mar 20, 2024

HAHAHAHAHA ! Such a riot to read, Viga ! As usual, lovely sense of humour. Also, getting locked in a museum because you needed a number 2. HAHAHAHAHA !

Reply

Viga Boland
12:59 Mar 20, 2024

Thanks for reading it Stella. I usually never know where the Banters are going to end up, but the minute I read about the phallological museum I knew where I was going and just had to write it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:01 Mar 20, 2024

It was very fun to read about all these museums! I've been to the Kunstkamera - found it fascinating!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Irene Duchess
22:19 Mar 19, 2024

Very nice. 👏 Can't say I'd like to visit any of those museums displaying body parts, though. Decapitated heads...... why? lol

Reply

Viga Boland
22:40 Mar 19, 2024

Don’t know if “nice” is the word to describe this Banter but I had lots of fun writing it. But it was “nice” to break my writer’s drought 😂

Reply

Irene Duchess
01:53 Mar 20, 2024

I had lots of fun reading it :)

Reply

Viga Boland
02:13 Mar 20, 2024

I hope so. Thank you.

Reply

Irene Duchess
02:14 Mar 20, 2024

👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:34 Mar 19, 2024

Think I'll stick to the American Writer's Museum in Chicago, scene of my story this week.

Reply

Viga Boland
18:11 Mar 19, 2024

I’ll be reading your story soon, Mary. Can’t believe how quickly you can churn them out after new prompts have been posted. 👏👏

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:35 Mar 19, 2024

First time for anything.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
16:57 Mar 19, 2024

Ha! Thank you for this Viga, I enjoyed and it made me giggle!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.